Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Xenon Laluz 132 Review

Created by Big eeeZeee > 9 months ago, 13 Jan 2011
Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
13 Jan 2011 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 75kgs, Level: intermediate (3 years)
Style: Freestyle
Weather: 15 - 30
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: Addicted

My Comments:

First official review of anything!

Board Construction:
When I first unwrapped the board I couldn't believe how light this thing was. It's ridiculously light. You can really pick it up and twist it around one handed without breaking you're wrist. Must weigh half the weight of an NHP?! It's super flexy at the tips and you can actually flex the top of the tips with your bare hands - crazy. It's solid through the middle but thins right out at the tips to only a few mm. Noticed that because of this, the inserts closest to the tips aren't as deep as the inserts near the middle of the board (possible concern?!). Not sure if this is standard across all boards or if it's just because the laluz thins out so much towards the tips.

Aesthetics:

The board looks much nicer in the flesh! It has white glossy lines that run the length of the board, so if you think it's just a plain white board with a bit of blue and red - you're wrong! The thing looks PIMP, but tasteful and without all the crap their putting on today's boards. One very small complaint would be that the red and blue prints that run from the top sheet, across the the edge and onto the bottom sheet just don't line up. Makes it look a little cheap, but still nothing major to worry about! Still looks the great top and bottom.

Although I do love the look of the board, it is a struggle to find it in the surf and against the sun glare with it's white top and bottom sheet. I still wouldn't trade this board for anything though.

The ride:
There's always a lot of pimping that goes on when reading reviews on any equipment and the laluz was the same. I came across a lot of rubbish statements along the lines of "It's like riding a cloud" etc etc. Well guess what? It's like riding a f**ing cloud!!!! hahahahah...

The ride is so soft and comfortable through chop and landing tricks. It really does absorb a LOT of impact when landing. I'd always feel pain through the knees when riding hard and fast over the top of chop/waves but havent had any trouble with the laluz.

The board is nice and wide, and light. Can really pick up some great speed and cut hard up wind with it. No real spray in the face like my old imperial. It's easy to flick about and carve through the turns. I'm no expert but I reckon this board would also excel in the surf for a TT.

I've only just started to get my raileys fully down (board over head) so I can't really comment on how great the pop is. Yeah it 'pop's' but I can't really tell you how well as I'm still trying to perfect my pop and a lot of it comes down to technique. Anyhow I'm happy with how it pop's for the meantime although can't really compare it to anything. The board is super flexy at the tips, and as I've read, this may not contribute to achieving a huge amount of pop, however I believe this is still debated?!

Haven't noticed too much difference in regards to boost as I believe it all comes down to technique. If you know how to boost big, you will boost big on any board really...

Still haven't got my straps so can't comment on them. Been riding the board on 2011 cab syncs.

All up, EXTREMELY happy with the board!!!! From it's looks to it's performance on the water.

Bought it because:
I am looking to get right into freestyle/wakestyle. I wanted a board that was fast and that could handle Melbourne's chop in the bay and advance my riding. I'd recommend this board to anyone looking for performance in the chop without sacrificing your KNEES!

peace

chino
VIC, 166 posts
13 Jan 2011 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

I just bought one myself, and this review makes me excited. It's apparantly in the mail but no post office notices yet!

Now here's hoping the bloody weather in Melbourne improves so I can actually ride the thing!

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
13 Jan 2011 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 96kgs, 185cm Level: Beginner
Style: What style? Freeride with freestyle ambitions I guess.
Weather: 20-25 gusty
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: I don't work for none of these mothers, I don't get discounts, and I'm not in debt to the mob.

I took this board out today for a demo. Did like 3 full hours at Melville in really gusty conditions with quite a lot of chop out a ways but nice and smooth near the beach. I've been demoing a lot of freestyle oriented boards lately and the frontrunner so far was the 132 North Jamie.

I was happy with the look of the board. Nice and plain, no fluorescent crap. I rode it with the new straps and I must say I like them a lot. They are soft but not so much that the compact too much on hard landings. The straps are easy to adjust and are really comfortable. I like these even more that the North ones I'm used to. They are a lot easier to get into even if they are tightened right down. So much so that there was no need to fit the grab handle saving a little weight. You can grab wiht your toes easily when you boost and you can lever againts the straps hard without them loostening.

I won't reiterate the high points from the above post but I do agree with most of it. It has quite a lot more rocker than the 140 North Xride I've been on lately. This makes it a lot more lively under foot but it still planes quickly and is quite fast. The fins are about the right size. Small enough that the board is easy to kick around to toeside even if you are lazy and drag it round slowly.

I don't chuck big raleys so I won't comment on "pop" really, just that I was able to pick a bit of flat water, edge hard, and release into a little pop off the water much better than my current board. I was pretty amused by this so started chucking little ollies and getting nice height.

I didn't find it to be super smooth in the chop but it did soak it up well for a board with square tips and this stiffness. The Xride is better here but gets left way behind in almost every other respect.

I was finding that I was nose diving the board a little bit in the pretty nasty chop, with the straps in the inner position. But I am pretty heavy and tall and I've just come off a much longer board. The 135 might be the better length for me. So, would I buy it? It does everything just as well as the Jamie, pads are better, it's lighter, looks better, and is quite a bit cheaper.

I'm going to pick one up this week.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
15 Jan 2011 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Spent over 2 hours on my new 135 today. Really stoked with this board. Don't believe anyone else though, try it for yourself.

If you missed the demo at Woodies today, the boys will be at Saftey Bay tomorrow as well.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
17 Jan 2011 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

The La luz is avaliable for demo at Woodies shop.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
23 Jan 2011 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Have the Xenon LaLuz 135 which I am really enjoying. Agree with all the other reviews, this is a great board, extremely well made and good for any rider from beginner to expert ability. Here is my opinion:

The 135 colour is just right, easy to see being white, graphics simple and elegant. The finish is impressive, being made in Europe I think with snowboard technology, so should last. Have just got the new footpads and straps which are comfortable and easy to adjust. I ride in the chop and waves and find my knees don't complain after riding as they did with my previous board. The ride is very much like the Nobile range, but the board has speed also, whilst being a lot cheaper. Landings are smooth and it tracks upwind easily.

A friend rode it and whilst looking for a lost board, ran over it and sliced a 5cm gash into the "lost" board right through the layer and into the wood core - however the LaLuz didn't have a mark on it!

Try one if you can! I have no affiliation with the suppliers or any shop.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
31 Jan 2011 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Is your new board a new model and if so how are the pads and straps?

jt737 said...

Have the Xenon LaLuz 135 which I am really enjoying. Agree with all the other reviews, this is a great board, extremely well made and good for any rider from beginner to expert ability. Here is my opinion:

The 135 colour is just right, easy to see being white, graphics simple and elegant. The finish is impressive, being made in Europe I think with snowboard technology, so should last. Have just got the new footpads and straps which are comfortable and easy to adjust. I ride in the chop and waves and find my knees don't complain after riding as they did with my previous board. The ride is very much like the Nobile range, but the board has speed also, whilst being a lot cheaper. Landings are smooth and it tracks upwind easily.

A friend rode it and whilst looking for a lost board, ran over it and sliced a 5cm gash into the "lost" board right through the layer and into the wood core - however the LaLuz didn't have a mark on it!

Try one if you can! I have no affiliation with the suppliers or any shop.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
31 Jan 2011 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Yes it's the new board. The pads and straps are as good as any other board out there. By that I mean they are comfortable, easy to adjust with the Velcro strap, pads have good cushioning and a well formed base with arch support. They hold your feet in well, and still easy enough to kick off if that trick goes wrong!
Welcome to try board if up on Sunny Coast one day.
The more I ride the board, the more I like it, try one out.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
31 Jan 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

the pads are good and you're foot should stay in snug. Only problem i found that if you want maximum duck then the straps don't really line up with the pads. Hard to explain...

Albos
VIC, 162 posts
2 Feb 2011 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Are there any shops in Melbourne that stock the new board? I'd like to have a look at one and a demo before I can buy a new board

chino
VIC, 166 posts
2 Feb 2011 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Here in Melb, got it delivered from QLD earlier last week. I kite at Altona these days so feel free to hit me up and I'll show you what it looks like/how it rides.

Thought I'd provide a small review.

75 kg, beginner (1.5 seasons)
Style: None
Weather - 17-32
Build: 9/10
Satisfaction 10/10
Disclosure: Went on a trip to PNG with seller

I love this board. Marvin pimped the 2010 last year pretty heavy and was tempted to buy one. Was up in Cairns and the local dealer there turned me off of it because he sold a few to some beginners and they got damaged pretty quickly, and he was concerned about build quality. Saw some beginners later that week with them and they all really loved them but hadn't been riding that long.

Anyways. So on the PNG trip, trialled the 2010 and really liked it, it got me going and in control a lot quicker than my (in retrospect) too advanced Cab Custom. Decided to wait for the 2011 to come out and bought it.

Bought a 132. Really happy with it. Flexibile, light as hell without feeling cheap, board straps feel a lot more comfortable than my previous Liquid Force luxuries and the Custom's shoelace things that kept coming loose. I'm only just starting to jump but have been bouncing up and down on the waves at Altona, and feel a lot more comfortable on the landings. Staying upwind about as well as I was on the 136 Custom. I've been running it into the sandbars a lot at low tide, and the fins still look fine without any damage. Can't say anything about pop and flex or anything, but I really really love riding it, and I guess thats all that matters. I've taken it out in 17 knots, plus the 28-30 knot ripper yesterday, and it just feels great.

Negatives? The rubber Xenon logo on the straps was loose on arrival and had to super glue them down. Other than that, can't think of any.

I was a bit skeptical what with the heavy pimpage online, and it not being a super well known brand, and the possible low durability mentioned earlier.. But Marv hasn't steered me wrong, it's a really good board that I'm incredibly happy with.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
21 Feb 2011 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

I got my new 135 on friday and used it for a couple of hours yesterday. The board is what i expected as i have been riding a 132 till my board arrived. Smooth in chop, good on hard landings because of the super flexi tip's. The board carves up wind and found the 135 being a little wider than the 132 gets up and does it's thing with a little less effort. The pad's are what i have been waiting to try and the best description is a real comfy pair of slippers. Yes that sounds weird but thats what i thought of when i first took off. Your feet seem to contour to the shape of the pad's with just the right amount of cushioning. I didnt have the straps super tight cause i didn't have to. You where right in saying they are easy to kick off if a jump goes wrong. All in all the board with the new pads are awesome and would highly recommend anyone looking for a new board to try one...

jt737 said...

Yes it's the new board. The pads and straps are as good as any other board out there. By that I mean they are comfortable, easy to adjust with the Velcro strap, pads have good cushioning and a well formed base with arch support. They hold your feet in well, and still easy enough to kick off if that trick goes wrong!
Welcome to try board if up on Sunny Coast one day.
The more I ride the board, the more I like it, try one out.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
21 Feb 2011 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

is anyone riding with board with maximum duck? It's possible to screw the straps down but the straps don't line up with your foot correctly. A bit annoying

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
21 Feb 2011 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

What do you mean?

Big eeeZeee said...

is anyone riding with board with maximum duck? It's possible to screw the straps down but the straps don't line up with your foot correctly. A bit annoying

Wisha
SA, 255 posts
21 Feb 2011 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Tips look pretty square, what's the spray in the face factor like? Toe side carve turns?

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
21 Feb 2011 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

The 132 didnt have any spray at all and the 135 had a little yesterday but i closed the stance up the same as the 132 and this seems to be heaps better. Have had more spray off other boards.

Wisha said...

Tips look pretty square, what's the spray in the face factor like? Toe side carve turns?

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
22 Feb 2011 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jas,

please note that the stances are Wide and Extra Wide on the 2011 LaLuz! No more normal stance (like 2010) except of the 129cm which still got normal and wide stance for the 2011 LL.

Which Stance position do you ride?
I prefer the inside option.

In General the wider stands will cause a bit more spray i reckon.
The Xenon's dont spray much- the board is very lively and the flexy tips cause less spray me thinks.

Hang loose

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
22 Feb 2011 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Moved the stance in today on the 135, flew an 8m Rally in 30 to 35 knts and it was awesome. No spray at all, the water was super choppy and it handled to perfectly. Totally stoked...

INTHELOOP said...

Hi Jas,

please note that the stances are Wide and Extra Wide on the 2011 LaLuz! No more normal stance (like 2010) except of the 129cm which still got normal and wide stance for the 2011 LL.

Which Stance position do you ride?
I prefer the inside option.

In General the wider stands will cause a bit more spray i reckon.
The Xenon's dont spray much- the board is very lively and the flexy tips cause less spray me thinks.

Hang loose

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
23 Feb 2011 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

jas73 said...

What do you mean?
Big eeeZeee said...

Ok take one of your straps off. Put it on the setting that angle's your foot the most towards the tips of the board. Then screw down the strap and notice the angle that the straps overlap your foot. It doesn't overlap your foot squarely but instead on an awkward angle that doesn't accomodte the foot to well...

Intheloop

woodys
WA, 218 posts
23 Feb 2011 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

I found the LaLuz (132) to have probably the least spray of any board Ive ever ridden. Noticeably pretty much none at all - not even close. But Ive only tried it on the narrow stance setting. Havent tried the wider setting. Will give that a try next time and report back.
Beautifully comfortable board in sloppy conditions with more than enough control and pop for most riders. The other noticeable ride feature of this board was its size to comfort. I usually like a bit more volume but the 132 rides more like a 135?? Maybe its the wide rails? Whatever - its nice to have a smaller board that doesnt demand full power all session.
Cant wait to try it on the offshore side.
132 available for demo anytime.

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
24 Feb 2011 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

The narrow settings are sweet. The wider settings will give you spray.

woodys said...

I found the LaLuz (132) to have probably the least spray of any board Ive ever ridden. Noticeably pretty much none at all - not even close. But Ive only tried it on the narrow stance setting. Havent tried the wider setting. Will give that a try next time and report back.
Beautifully comfortable board in sloppy conditions with more than enough control and pop for most riders. The other noticeable ride feature of this board was its size to comfort. I usually like a bit more volume but the 132 rides more like a 135?? Maybe its the wide rails? Whatever - its nice to have a smaller board that doesnt demand full power all session.
Cant wait to try it on the offshore side.
132 available for demo anytime.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
25 Feb 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...

jas73 said...

What do you mean?
Big eeeZeee said...

Ok take one of your straps off. Put it on the setting that angle's your foot the most towards the tips of the board. Then screw down the strap and notice the angle that the straps overlap your foot. It doesn't overlap your foot squarely but instead on an awkward angle that doesn't accomodte the foot to well...

Intheloop

Hey,
if you put on the furthest toward heal side option on the inside of the pads and the middle one on the outside of the pads, pads/straps lines up perfectly.

I agree with you if you use the furthest back on inside and furthest toeside on the outside of pads then you will find the outside of the straps dont line up 100% anymore.

is that what you meant?

however, i recommend to ride them on the middle setting inside and outside of the pads. Works perfect for me.

In general we are pretty stoked with the 2011 pads/straps. super cushy, grippy and are light.
LaLuz is the lightest and one of the fastest boards out there.

some riding photos with boards would be nice guys, show off your improved pop!

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
25 Feb 2011 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

INTHELOOP said...

Big eeeZeee said...

jas73 said...

What do you mean?
Big eeeZeee said...

Intheloop

Hey,
if you put on the furthest toward heal side option on the inside of the pads and the middle one on the outside of the pads, pads/straps lines up perfectly.

I agree with you if you use the furthest back on inside and furthest toeside on the outside of pads then you will find the outside of the straps dont line up 100% anymore.

is that what you meant?

however, i recommend to ride them on the middle setting inside and outside of the pads. Works perfect for me.

In general we are pretty stoked with the 2011 pads/straps. super cushy, grippy and are light.

Thanks

My riding has improved heaps over the past few months.
i've done some pretty big raileys on this board and am happy with the pop. I'd like to compare it to a Cab Custom though. I don't see how one board can produce a lot more pop than another board though?! I understand the whole rocker and flex thing, but when you bring in the power of any kite nearing the inability to unhook you're always going to get massive pop. Load her up and BANG! That's what i've found anyway.

Love to put some pics/footage up but no one wants to film, everyone wants to ride!

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
28 Feb 2011 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...

INTHELOOP said...

Big eeeZeee said...

jas73 said...

What do you mean?
Big eeeZeee said...

Intheloop

Hey,

is that what you meant?

Thanks

My riding has improved heaps over the past few months.
i've done some pretty big raileys on this board and am happy with the pop. I'd like to compare it to a Cab Custom though. I don't see how one board can produce a lot more pop than another board though?! I understand the whole rocker and flex thing, but when you bring in the power of any kite nearing the inability to unhook you're always going to get massive pop. Load her up and BANG! That's what i've found anyway.

Love to put some pics/footage up but no one wants to film, everyone wants to ride!

hi mate,
the average rider will get heaps more response out of the laluz than out of another high end freestyle board because the board is lighter and has more flex and feedback.
especially the flexi tips will allow you to get more pop in choppy conditions.
the flexi tips also allow you to build up speed easier than a board with stiff tips.

thats why so many people fall in love with the board after trying it for the 1st time and finding their riding improved just the way you described it.

the soft and controlled landings are a bonus on top that will make you stick more landings and keep your knees together.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
3 Apr 2011 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Damn that's cheap!

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
4 Apr 2011 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

anyone got any opinions on this compared to a underground styx.?

specifically I'm after decent pop , but still good in the chop.

woodys
WA, 218 posts
4 Apr 2011 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

We have The LaLuz, Rayo & Infra on clearance sale deals at Woodys.
Check our website for the super special run-out prices.

1 LaLuz 1 Rayo and 1 Infra - thats all thats left. Get in quick.

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
5 Apr 2011 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

bigmark100 said...

anyone got any opinions on this compared to a underground styx.?

specifically I'm after decent pop , but still good in the chop.

I've never ridden the styx but the Laluz sounds like what you are after. I'm fully impressed with mine.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
5 Apr 2011 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

I swopped from the Styx to the La Luz 135. Much smoother board in the chop and fast also. I ride Slingshot bolt-on footstraps though as I prefer to duck my stance out more. Build quality is great and priced well.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
5 Apr 2011 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

There is a few Xenon board lovers out there thats for sure!
If you havent tried 1, try 1 there should be 1 around

We got a kick ass team with international Team Rider Tom Ryan (QLD), national teamriders Sci Anderson (WA), Josh and James van Brederide, Ryan O'Donnel (QLD) Harry Hayes(VIC) and Rach.
YEWWWW

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
7 Apr 2011 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

INTHELOOP said...

There is a few Xenon board lovers out there thats for sure!
If you havent tried 1, try 1 there should be 1 around

We got a kick ass team with international Team Rider Tom Ryan (QLD), national teamriders Sci Anderson (WA), Josh and James van Brederide, Ryan O'Donnel (QLD) Harry Hayes(VIC) and Rach.
YEWWWW

I currently have a demo. Loving it!!

Watch here soon for a review!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Xenon Laluz 132 Review" started by Big eeeZeee