Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 Ozone C4

Created by Big eeeZeee > 9 months ago, 27 Jul 2012
cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
17 Jan 2013 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...
went for a blat last night 16-24 knots on the old 7 strut 13 edge. again lumpy sea. head high sets coming through.

managed to get that beast drifting a little bit!! hit some nice ramps for sweet gliiiiiiiiiiiide.

any way it got me thinking. as i have the 8m cat. if i want to do a more surf style session i can just step into the cat at 20+ knots.

so... maybe an edge to replace the c4 is not a silly idea. 10m edge sounds quite appealling.

Whats the top end of your guys 9's and how much do you weigh. The 2010 11 edge i had was good to 25 knots then it started to get very silly. i'm geussing 10m might be good to 28 knots.

youd be a bit over done at 28knts on a ten, i was on my 9 last week in low to mid 30s, in these winds you really had to bully the kite and it was too powerfull to have a fun sesssion , the power on tap was crazy , but still felt safe and predictable at 88kgs, id say the 7 would of been in its element in these winds,

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
18 Jan 2013 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I reckon plummet would be on his 8m cat thinking about the REO at 28 knots especially if stormy. Think the 10 would be in that 18 to 25, the sweet spot that is. Its my sweet spot for the 9m at 74 kg.

Emanjay
WA, 115 posts
18 Jan 2013 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Something that is omitted from 2013 C4 is the inner bag which sux a little as it is all I carry kite in for travel....that and the repair kit is sewn into bag so can't separated by simply peeling velcro as in past for travel.

benchy
QLD, 60 posts
18 Jan 2013 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Ok people, I have had about 5 sessions on the 10m and the 12m c4 now in everything from 15 to 28 knots, on a flight to the phippines so finally have time to write a review.
I have been on c4s for the past 3 seasons 2011's and 2012's and now the 2013's(I did have a short dabble for a few months on the Vegas also).

On my first session I didn't have the back lines shortened and it just didn't feel right (crap bottom end, delayed turning, little unstable sitting at 12). Looked at this forum and shortened the back lines as kite power suggested and it felt like a different kite!

I don't think the 2013's will be for everyone as they are a bit more hardcore than previous models.

Bottom end is definitely stronger than on previous models(with the rear lines adjusted). The bar pressure is quite a bit higher even on the lightest pressure setting(a bit too high for my liking but I'll live with it, hope they make it lighter next year though).

Loops and kite loops on this thing are full on! It definitely has more power through the loop than previous years and definitely gives an awesome rush.

Depower is less than previous models and power through the turns is stronger than previous models so on a SB down the line wave ridding I don't rate it like previous models that have performed quite well in waves.

Turning feels a little more direct than previous models, it does turn slightly different though (less pivitol). Turning speed in general feels about the same as the 2012s but the upward stroke is quicker(moving the kite from 10 to 11 as an example). I am happy they have improved this a little as it has buged me in previous models.

Boosting and hang time on the 10m definitely feels as good or better than previous models and the boosting technique required is the same. I probably need a good boosting session on the 12m to give a review on the 12m.

I am by no means an unhooked trick legend so there is probably someone better qualified to give some feedback for the diehard wake style crew. However I do a bit and it feels as you would expect for a c4 but a bit more hardcore. Its solid, no stalling, good pop, has more power unhooked and is not as forgiving as previous models though.

Just got an 8m cat for the missus this week so will give that a go and report back.
Benchy

Plummet
4862 posts
18 Jan 2013 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

did you go for one knot down on the rear lines or did you go more more adjustment?

benchy
QLD, 60 posts
18 Jan 2013 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey plummet, just went one knot back under the floats which should be the knot closest to the bar. On the bridle I am on the knot closest to the leading edge which came as standard. I am on the lightest bar pressure setting on the wingtips but it doesn't help much as the pressure is still heavy.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
18 Jan 2013 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Actually I just remembered reading this I flew the 15m C4 on my own ozone bar which had this knot adjustment already done for my edges.

Still reading your review here doesn't sound like plummet will change his mind.

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jan 2013 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think ill change my mind. but we will see. today should be a 20 knot sea brease.

ps the boys have me thinking too much about the 10m edge.... may have to try that out for a season or 2.

benchy
QLD, 60 posts
19 Jan 2013 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I think if bar pressure is a deal breaker for you then I can't really see the c4 working for u plummet.

dave290
3 posts
19 Jan 2013 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

cauncy said...
plummet, dont mean to be a smart arse but the new c4 has been advertised as more a wake freestyle kite this year, i may be wrong but after reading your posts i was suprised you got the c4 ,you sound to me like a perfect candidate for the mid size edges, ive had the edges since their release and they are a lot different now than a couple of years back, i wouldnt go any bigger than the 11mtr as they become a very different kite, so dont think your 13 would handle similar to the 11, i think most edge riders would agree the 9 and 11 are the most dynamic in the edge range, i have been wrong about a couple of kites in the past in my quiver, i got an 8 mtr cat which was my high wind kite and wasnt too happy with the power delivery even over 30knts, but after time im getting to really like this kite ,ive tuned it , cleared my head that it aint gonna fly like an edge and started from scratch with it, the c4 is also a kite that needs to be ridden and will reward you the more you ride it im sure, dont be too hasty dood get back on it and give it another blast, f.....g sucks that feeling that youve made the wrong choice mate i know what your feeling, you sound like you get off on similar conditions that we get and ride like me , one thing i know is i wouldnt be looking at the c4, hope it all works out cauncy

Don't despair! its the the new bar and line lengths believe me. They come this year with standard 23m lines and a 45cm bar length with short throw and it changes how they fly completely go get hold of a standard bar and lines with 25m and try it again they fly awesome you will love it. used my 10m with standard new school setting in the surf on old 25m lines 50cm bar and its soooooo good.

dave290
3 posts
19 Jan 2013 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

cauncy said...
plummet, dont mean to be a smart arse but the new c4 has been advertised as more a wake freestyle kite this year, i may be wrong but after reading your posts i was suprised you got the c4 ,you sound to me like a perfect candidate for the mid size edges, ive had the edges since their release and they are a lot different now than a couple of years back, i wouldnt go any bigger than the 11mtr as they become a very different kite, so dont think your 13 would handle similar to the 11, i think most edge riders would agree the 9 and 11 are the most dynamic in the edge range, i have been wrong about a couple of kites in the past in my quiver, i got an 8 mtr cat which was my high wind kite and wasnt too happy with the power delivery even over 30knts, but after time im getting to really like this kite ,ive tuned it , cleared my head that it aint gonna fly like an edge and started from scratch with it, the c4 is also a kite that needs to be ridden and will reward you the more you ride it im sure, dont be too hasty dood get back on it and give it another blast, f.....g sucks that feeling that youve made the wrong choice mate i know what your feeling, you sound like you get off on similar conditions that we get and ride like me , one thing i know is i wouldnt be looking at the c4, hope it all works out cauncy

Don't despair! its the the new bar and line lengths believe me. They come this year with standard 23m lines and a 45cm bar length with short throw and it changes how they fly completely go get hold of a standard bar and lines with 25m and try it again they fly awesome you will love it. used my 10m with standard new school setting in the surf on old 25m lines 50cm bar and its soooooo good.

dave290
3 posts
19 Jan 2013 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...
did you go for one knot down on the rear lines or did you go more more adjustment?

Don't despair! its the the new bar and line lengths believe me. They come this year with standard 23m lines and a 45cm bar length with short throw and it changes how they fly completely go get hold of a standard bar and lines with 25m and try it again they fly awesome you will love it. used my 10m with standard new school setting in the surf on old 25m lines 50cm bar and its soooooo good. P.s leave the knots standard middle setting unless your lines have stretched and require adjusting.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
19 Jan 2013 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Don't despair! its the the new bar and line lengths believe me. They come this year with standard 23m lines and a 45cm bar length with short throw and it changes how they fly completely go get hold of a standard bar and lines with 25m and try it again they fly awesome you will love it. used my 10m with standard new school setting in the surf on old 25m lines 50cm bar and its soooooo good. P.s leave the knots standard middle setting unless your lines have stretched and require adjusting.

Just thought we had all better read it a fourth time!!

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Jan 2013 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

ahhhh. so 45cm bar has shorter depower throw.

that makes more sense then. it would be less slack with bar out compared to standard bar..... So the standard bar will actually be worse unless you significantly shorten the rear lines to get in to the same shorter throw point of the 45cm bar.... but then yourl be over sheeting with bar all the way in. ....

well i made up new rear line pig tails as i don't want different set up bars because i use them accross all kites. ..

but god has gooched me and not provided a 20 sea brease when it was promised.

I'll have to wait for further testing. . . . . . . . . . . .

Plummet
4862 posts
20 Jan 2013 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

righto. session 2 16-25 knots real gusty.

adjusted the leader lines and flew. Instantly hugely better than the first flight. I could see some of the old C4 goodness in the new model. but it still sorta felt dull in cpmpared to the old one. itd definately lost the fast whippy dynamicness of old!... Dont get me wrong it did everything fine. Just not as much grin factor for me.

Bar pressure still too high for me. I'm a one handed flyer alot of the time and the bar pressure made that difficult.

So the short answer is its not for me.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
29 Jan 2013 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone else notice wing tips flapping and vibration through the lines. Especially notice this on my 12m near the top end. Didn't get this on the 2011

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
29 Jan 2013 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

had my 8m out on monday 20-40knots ta ex cyclone oswald
65kg intermediate skills ,
did line adjustment after 1st run ,will be modified for light winds .
did notice a bit of wing tip movement but wasnt a worry

seems to depower close to the edge
operating window seems smaller at bottom of range
needs to be flown in the window

loops + relaunched very nicely
unhooked and felt good [im no guru]
i hope it will improve my unhooked kiting .

WA, 1255 posts
30 Jan 2013 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

still waiting to use my 13m.. relentless WA winds!

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
30 Jan 2013 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Can't believe we have four days of little wind coming up. What's going on!

WA, 1255 posts
30 Jan 2013 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

a chance to use the 13 and see what all this fuss is about! Will be using my 50cm bar with 25m lines.. will see how she goes

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
30 Jan 2013 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2013 10m C4.

When it's windy enough it comes out instead of the 14m RPM.

Love it more and more each time, but also love the RPM.

IMO, if you don't enjoy flying the new c4 your obviously not riding unhooked and/or hard enough.

It's a kite loop machine.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
30 Jan 2013 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

polykarb said...
I have a 2013 10m C4.

When it's windy enough it comes out instead of the 14m RPM.

Love it more and more each time, but also love the RPM.

IMO, if you don't enjoy flying the new c4 your obviously not riding unhooked and/or hard enough.

It's a kite loop machine.

Well you are probably right there, can't argue with that. I just feel sorry for the armada of free riders that vouched for this kite. Oh well nothing stays the same I suppose time to move on.

Plummet
4862 posts
30 Jan 2013 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Did you have the old c4 poly or just shifted into the 2013 from something else?

But yes I do not do unhooked riding. Do i ride hard? yes indeed. loops etc are common. looping didn't feel any better imo than my 2011.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
30 Jan 2013 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Mmmmmm, must be time you checked out moving the tribe to Gero again Eppo!

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
30 Jan 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have had slingshot kites for number of seasons,

bought some ozone kites for the snow last year ( frenzy's ) they were primo so thought I'd try the C4 for the water.

I wanted the closest match the the RPM.

The C4 is exactly as marketed, excels unhooked and wakestyle.

If your riding unhooked, doing wakestyle tricks etc, this kite rocks!

it lacks leading edge protection, I used the included sticky back in spares to add scuff guards and protect stitching.

But yea, great kite, im enjoying it.

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
30 Jan 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

had another go on the 8m today . 20-30 knots
shortened the rear lines some more [made a knot] on freeride setting
now im very happy with it and my very basic unhooked raileys are bigger n faster .
was feeling very comfortable and hope to do a unhooked s-bend sooner .

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
30 Jan 2013 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Dave Whettingsteel said...
eppo said...

Mmmmmm, must be time you checked out moving the tribe to Gero again Eppo!

Back to work tomoz otherwise I'd be up there my friend. Nah misses is totally of it hey, saying she doesn't like the feel of gero. Maybe dongara, shack up with cauncy. Lol.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
30 Jan 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

If she is a small town girl, come and live at horrocks, Northampton is hanging out for more teachers!

But yeah, I havea very deep feel for how hard it is to chase your own dream and take the family with you... Tough.

Plummet
4862 posts
31 Jan 2013 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

polykarb said...
I have had slingshot kites for number of seasons,

bought some ozone kites for the snow last year ( frenzy's ) they were primo so thought I'd try the C4 for the water.

I wanted the closest match the the RPM.

The C4 is exactly as marketed, excels unhooked and wakestyle.

If your riding unhooked, doing wakestyle tricks etc, this kite rocks!

it lacks leading edge protection, I used the included sticky back in spares to add scuff guards and protect stitching.

But yea, great kite, im enjoying it.

yeah that makes sense then. if your coming straight into the 2013 c4 without prior c4 experience it will feel like a sweet kite. but its been a sweeter kite for years for all round riding. Ozone have made it very good for wakestyle/unhooked action this year but dulled the rest of its perfomance for all round riding.

But I have to say for me the deal breaker is the bar pressure. Too much bar pressure screws my elbows and since I ride one handed about 60% of the time the high bar pressure is just annoying. I've been flying with superlight bar pressure since 2008.

dafunk
QLD, 559 posts
31 Jan 2013 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

i have a 2011 10m c4 aswell on a modified 2008 bar
have not noticed the extra bar pressure yet ?
have also flown 2008 sport II 11m and 9m , light II 14m
never flown an edge but really want to .
will try them on the same bar and im sure i will feel it then
or maybe just heavy handed ?
the 8m c4 2013 felt like ''home'' yesterday very happy
and have made the right choice

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 Ozone C4" started by Big eeeZeee