Created by vendeavours > 9 months ago, 3 Aug 2014
cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Aug 2014 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said...
cauncy said..
The whistle is there for the missus , so she can signal you that your apres kite beer has reached the required temperature, apparently

So why didn't come with an instruction manual for the missus

Even if women came with an instruction manual we still wouldn't understand it

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
10 Sep 2014 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Gave 2015 6m a good run today. Differences new bag looks great, more zips than last year, but you would be happy to use it as a travelling backpack. Better set up with separate internal bar storage. On the bar the chicken loop is smaller which makes the donkey dick protrude more. This is great for my set up a big improvement. The short safety has been redesigned and is much more slick. It can now be attached by a larks head knot. Lines have that quality feel about them. On the minus for me it still has hammer hard bar ends, and magnet to hold depower slack. The magnet did seem stronger, but I find the salt water kills them within a season. Maybe I should be washing the better. On the kite, I was wrapped. In a word it feels a smoother ride than last year. There definetly has been some tweaking. The power and pivot seemed more predictable. Felt like a better wind range, though I haven't even looked at a chart. New cloth looks strong and is crispy loud in the air. I was watching the guys test a 9m the other day and everyone was impressed. I'll leave the details to others. Is it worth upgrading. Big yes.....though I think $500 to include the new bar is steep. Very happy with my choice of 9 & 6m. I was tossing up the 7 but the six has let me get out there when it's strong and work the kite.

Adoy
NSW, 238 posts
10 Sep 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
11 Sep 2014 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

Haha what is that video?

Hey pearl, is your 9 your biggest kite this year?

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
11 Sep 2014 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..
Haha what is that video?

Hey pearl, is your 9 your biggest kite this year?

Yes.. I'll be underdone on light more onshore days....... I am however fully kitted for regular sea breezes and storm conditions. I flew the '14 10m depowered nearly all the time. At my weight I was missing the sweet size for our winds. I had a blade fat lady, that I sold as the '14 10 could do light winds. How ever they feel more controlled in the upper end of the wind range this year. Not sure whether its the new canopy material or a bridal adjustment doing it. It feels like they have taken it back a notch towards the 2012-13. My boards do plane well though. I'm 75kg. Kite boards 5'2"-5'4". Tomo's.. Stretch mr buzz. Around 22c.l...... before I can step up to surfboards 5'8"-6'0" Lost subdriver, v2 shortboard, Emery 25 c.l. ish.

rollo19
WA, 93 posts
18 Sep 2014 2:45AM
Thumbs Up

+1 that, especially magnet

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
18 Sep 2014 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Got home to a little surprise today...
New 8 and 10 at my front door. A 12 will complete the setup in the next week or so.

Pumped up the 10 in the backyard for a little once over.

There is a few changes from the 2013's I have come off (not sure if the 14's had these or not?).

-The struts seem a lot thinner.
-The wing tips are swept a fair bit more, not as square.
-There is sewn on trailing edge supports.
-The one-pump strut clip off setup is a lot neater and streamlined to the kite much better.
-Not a single 'irish pennant' on the whole kite. Stitching looks very tidy.
-Bar, not too different. New quick release for me looks cool, (think they went to this design in 14 though).
-The bag is pretty sweet too!!! Well thought out and super comfy.

Anyway, just a few things. Can't wait to fly them.
More to come then I guess...

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
18 Sep 2014 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said..
Got home to a little surprise today...
New 8 and 10 at my front door. A 12 will complete the setup in the next week or so.

Pumped up the 10 in the backyard for a little once over.

There is a few changes from the 2013's I have come off (not sure if the 14's had these or not?).

-The struts seem a lot thinner.
-The wing tips are swept a fair bit more, not as square.
-There is sewn on trailing edge supports.
-The one-pump strut clip off setup is a lot neater and streamlined to the kite much better.
-Not a single 'irish pennant' on the whole kite. Stitching looks very tidy.
-Bar, not too different. New quick release for me looks cool, (think they went to this design in 14 though).
-The bag is pretty sweet too!!! Well thought out and super comfy.

Anyway, just a few things. Can't wait to fly them.
More to come then I guess...

"NICE" Still waiting for my 6 8 10m to come The colour looks blue with yellow ??? Aus web site is yellow and black ?? Is that a special order

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
19 Sep 2014 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate, nah this is the standard yellow + black.
Must be a bit of shine on the crispy freshness......
It looks really good in the flesh!

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
21 Sep 2014 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Had my first sesh on the 10m yesterday.
The kite flys much different than my '13 Reo. I'm loving it.

I pumped it up and held the Reo over a 2014 10m BWS Noise.
Surprisingly the Reo was actually larger, longer at the wing tips.

It loops on a dime, with a very soft and consistent pull.
This makes it very good for keeping tension in the lines for fast, down-the-line waveriding.

I think it might have a better low end than my old 10m. It generates a lot of power when you send it, then once you have that momentum you can just keep the kite at 45 and power up.
Looking forward to getting my 12, I reckon that'll be a fun kite.

More wind later in the week.
Yewww.

Slashrockson
NSW, 126 posts
21 Sep 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey SB what do you weigh and whats your expected wind range for your new kites ?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
21 Sep 2014 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

i weigh 75kg and got going pretty easily in wind just under the 15kn mark.
only one session so far, but i think the 10 has pretty good bottom end.
i feel it is a bigger kite than my 13' 10m though. didn't come close to testing its top end yesterday.

can't wait to see how the 12 goes.
it'll be nice being out there as soon as the wind comes up and the waves are still clean.
i have never owned a 12 before, so it should be a bit of fun.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Sep 2014 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Had an unexpected sesh today.
It was light; if I wasn't stoked with new kites I would've bothered.
Wow, I'm glad I did. Had a ball.
The 10 has a bloody good bottom end!

A few more pics on the grass for anyone half interested.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Sep 2014 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..

It was light; if I wasn't so stoked with new kites I wouldn't have bothered.

Sorry, punctuation mistake. ^^^
I did go out today, had fun in light wind.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
28 Sep 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I got to use my 8m today and also unhook on these new kites for the first time.
We layed the 8 over a 2013 8, I think size wise they are fairly similar.
It was around 15-25kn and I had the kite fully powered, I think the top end of the 8 should be pretty good.
It flew perfect unhooked, I didn't play with the trim or LE adjustments at all.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
30 Sep 2014 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone used the 2014 or new 5m?

I never upgraded from 2012 but I suppose it's time.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
15 Oct 2014 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Got my new Reo's "Nice" 1st go on 8 m top end of kite ,Smoother ride and not as punchy in the gusts,Has more rang in top end , and also seems to have more lower end but need to kite it more Had a go of Demo 12 m today this kite turns like my 10 m . Looks like I am going to burn a hole in my pocket Great kite

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
15 Oct 2014 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

nice, your local looks like a pond though. haha.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
16 Oct 2014 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said...
nice, your local looks like a pond though. haha.

Yes it sucks But 30kn S/w we get 3to 4ft wind wave/chop which is fun Our waves 1hr 2hrs away What do you think of 12m ?? The last time I had a 12 m was 2007 Pic of local 2hrs away But can not complain had 2 weeks at one eye 4 to 6 ft

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
16 Oct 2014 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

^^^that looks fun.
got my 12 in the post today.
hopefully get out on it this weekend if the wind plays the game.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Oct 2014 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Last year my biggest Reo was the 10M, decided to try the 12 this year and after that demo put one in my quiver, quickest and smoothest 12m I've flown.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
18 Oct 2014 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Used my 12 today. Wind was pretty light, I'd say around 13-14kn. If I didn't have the 12, it was too light I wouldn't have bothered on the 10. The thing is fun!

It generates smooth power and I liked it because I didn't have to sine it furiously to get some speed up. Didn't really get to test it properly in the waves. It was too onshore and small.

I can see it giving me more time on the water, which can't be a bad thing...

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
22 Oct 2014 6:17AM
Thumbs Up

So, I've used my whole 2015 quiver 8,10 and 12m in seriously good to seriously bad gusty conditions

Some random thoughts...

Made with Teijin D2, struts are a bit thinner this year

I'd describe them as smooth, they all fly just the same as each other, nice and light on the bar, all loop with the same low power smooth loop

I took the 8m out in super gusty conditions and it didn't shoot forward and back at all, which was cool

They boost pretty good this year

Drift super good, you have to do something really wrong to drop it

Each seems to have a big comfortable wind range, i travelled to Lakey with just 8 and 12 and was fine

Easy to just throw it up there and surf under it, nice kites

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
22 Oct 2014 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

nice one Jedi! Looked a bit smoother than your Shark Island snap this winter!

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
22 Oct 2014 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Just wanted to be the first person not associated with Ozone to write something in this thread.

Ok done :)

Bye....

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
22 Oct 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

not the first dude, I don't ride Ozone, but I do like them and think they are a great kite....I also think there are other good kites out there too.

Stayfan
6 posts
29 Oct 2014 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

I wander why there are no patches on the middle of the leading edge?
Are the stitches protected enough?

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
30 Oct 2014 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ really I have always wondered why they bothered putting little protectors on the leading edge in the first place. Seems like putting a bullbar on a sports car to me.
Also the wetsuit material over all the one pump clips and the valve is a waste to me as they just hold water and take ages to dry.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Oct 2014 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..
^^^ really I have always wondered why they bothered putting little protectors on the leading edge in the first place. Seems like putting a bullbar on a sports car to me.
Also the wetsuit material over all the one pump clips and the valve is a waste to me as they just hold water and take ages to dry.

The neoprene covers over the valve stops you getting holes in your canopy. There is even a video about it. The neoprene over the one pump clips stops them from damaging the canopy in crashes and when you pack up. There is nothing on an Ozone kite that does not need to be there. You'll never see heavy vinyl and PVC bumpers they add too much weight and don't work to protect the kite anyway.

-g

Stayfan
6 posts
11 Nov 2014 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..
Had my first sesh on the 10m yesterday.
The kite flys much different than my '13 Reo. I'm loving it.

I pumped it up and held the Reo over a 2014 10m BWS Noise.
Surprisingly the Reo was actually larger, longer at the wing tips.

It loops on a dime, with a very soft and consistent pull.
This makes it very good for keeping tension in the lines for fast, down-the-line waveriding.

I think it might have a better low end than my old 10m. It generates a lot of power when you send it, then once you have that momentum you can just keep the kite at 45 and power up.
Looking forward to getting my 12, I reckon that'll be a fun kite.

More wind later in the week.
Yewww.

You mean larger in square meters or just in length. I now ride BWS Noise Pro 8 & 6. Will the Reo be the same in windrange or is the Reo 7m the same as a BWS Noise Pro 8m?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Reo" started by vendeavours