Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2015 Reo

Created by vendeavours > 9 months ago, 3 Aug 2014
vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
3 Aug 2014 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

On face book Noticed short instragram teaser of the New 2015 Reo At Mauritius Looks goooood. instagram.com/p/rEXHtjkHSO/

KiterBen
SA, 161 posts
3 Aug 2014 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Save us the hassle and cut and paste a photo bloke.

niko77
WA, 18 posts
4 Aug 2014 3:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KiterBen said..

I think will be cool year for Ozone and us ........

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
4 Aug 2014 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
niko77 said...
KiterBen said..

I think will be cool year for Ozone and us ........

Thanks Nikko I am not great on computer nice job Yes looking sweet ??

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
18 Aug 2014 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

new 2015 Reo just launched!

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
18 Aug 2014 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ryland said...
new 2015 Reo just launched!

What sort of differences do you find between the Reo and the Noise Ryland?

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
18 Aug 2014 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

not alot really- both great kites. i loved my Noise Pros and then when i jumped on the new Reos it was an easy transition for me as i actually found alot of things similar between the 2 kites. I actually prefer the BWS bar over the Ozone however there is talk of a new ozone bar with soft ends in the near future but the Ozone kite is perhaps very slightly better build quality with the new D2 material- both kites are built well so no real big deal there.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
19 Aug 2014 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

I swear I saw a soft bar end proto early this year...
I thought the 2015's could've had a new bar setup.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Aug 2014 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

A bit unsure what sizes to go:
6 8 10
or
7 9 12

What does everyone think?

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
22 Aug 2014 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

for us here on south coast I would go 7 9 12...but I guess that depends on what you weigh. I would think the 7 in 22 on upwards would fit the bill nicely. !2 for the lighter days and light downwinders down 7 mile.

Plummet
4862 posts
22 Aug 2014 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

or 6,9,12

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Aug 2014 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
for us here on south coast I would go 7 9 12...but I guess that depends on what you weigh. I would think the 7 in 22 on upwards would fit the bill nicely. !2 for the lighter days and light downwinders down 7 mile.

Yeah I think it would be nice to have a bit of extra power with the 12m.

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..
or 6,9,12

I think this could be the go plums.
My current 6m is from 2012, an excellent kite when it is nuking. Unfortunately it doesn't get that much use here, used it lots in WA though! These were a small kite for their size, and they got more powerful (bigger kite) for their number over the last few years.
The 2015 7m is probably similar in size to my old 8m, so the new 6m would probably work best for max range.

Cheers for the thoughts lads.

Plummet
4862 posts
22 Aug 2014 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

I personally prefer a 2m gap. but then you need 4 kites to cover the same range.

Several guys locally use 6,9,12 combos and do well with them.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
22 Aug 2014 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Quiver conversations are always very interesting but remember that the percentage jump from a 6 to a 9 is a lot bigger than the percentage jump from a 9 to a 12. So going 7/9/12 is actually better unless you want to be out in **** your pants wind all the time.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
22 Aug 2014 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, quite a jump 6-9.
I don't get to use my current 6 as much as I'd like to, but if the kite is actually a little bigger/more powerful than the older 6 that could be alright.
No such thing as too windy!
hehe.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
22 Aug 2014 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

6,8,10 the 10 will get you down the line quicker than the 12 in the same wind, you just need to work a bit harder to get back upwind when it's light. Mind you I guess your riding more onshore wind than me.

Plummet
4862 posts
23 Aug 2014 4:06AM
Thumbs Up

What is the max wind you want to kite in? the boys locally don't seem to take the 7's Reos out in any higher than 30 knots.

Another thought.

Keep the old 2012 6m. As you say its a great high wind kite. You haven't used it much so it will still be in good condition. Plus small kites aren't worth much to sell anyway.

Go new 8,10,12 and end up with a 4 kite quiver.

There's nothing more guttering than not kiting when the swell is cranking and the wind is nuking because you don't have a small enough kite!

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
23 Aug 2014 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Had 12, 9, 7 last year

Also holding on to the 2012 6M cause it's awesome

This year getting 12, 10, 8

But….. 12 and 9 is a good travelling combo

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
24 Aug 2014 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting. I did 10 & 7m last year (2014) and have a 6 & 9m this year (2015). Bottom end was no problem last year; and i could get going in surprisingly light winds on the 7m. There were days I was hanging onto the 7 with full depower. That's where the older 2012/13 6m came into it's own. You could continue to aggressively ride waves when it was nuking and others were just hanging on. I would never need anything bigger than a 10m at my weight and board set ups. You can really work the smaller kites to do much the same but obviously drop some float in jumps. The 3m gap was fine. It was the first year for many I have only had a 2 kite quiver; and I loved the simplicity of it. When it was light 10m and strong 7m. Blowing sand or waving pine trees was the change over (18kn). Another friend who receives a full quiver and weighs more than me has also stepped down them all by 1m this year. He rarely used his 12m. Personally if I did 3 kites, it would definitly be 6 8 10m
Torrin or Mr OZONE if you read this... get rid of the magnets they just rust; (velcro will do) and give us some soft bar ends, even if just for the reo.

Probably just me but anyone with the 2014 model on; check the connection of your short safety. Make sure it only passes through wherever you attach it to and NOT a larks head knot. I had mine correct at first but by habit did a larks head knot like alot of other safety leashes when I reloaded. Luckily no drama; it was only a soft water release that didn't work, so pulled some slack and unclipped.

mbuckley
WA, 54 posts
24 Aug 2014 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

What about 7,9, and a zephyr or BWS XXL??
Seems like on surfboards a 9m can take you all the way down to the lightwind kite range.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
25 Aug 2014 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Love 6 , 8, 10 combo 2014 weight 75kg At Le Morne great sizes for here to ,Seen the 2015 kites they look great in the waves One Eye

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
25 Aug 2014 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Guys, things have changed, the whole "if i can't take my 10m out it's not worth it" ain't true anymore.

The 2014 Reo 12m IMO was the pick of the litter.

If you can get out and kite in light wind, which equals better shaped waves, without struggling….you should.

Just trying to help

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
25 Aug 2014 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jedibrad said..
Guys, things have changed, the whole "if i can't take my 10m out it's not worth it" ain't true anymore.

If you can get out and kite in light wind, which equals better shaped waves, without struggling….you should.

Just trying to help

but which kite drifts quicker. I have found my 12 can get me out in lighter winds by only a small margin but the 10 can keep up with the waves in my area in lighter winds.
Probably a bit of technique but I find it so frustrating when you can't get the kite to keep up with the wave.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
25 Aug 2014 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..

Jedibrad said..

Just trying to help

but which kite drifts quicker. I have found my 12 can get me out in lighter winds by only a small margin but the 10 can keep up with the waves in my area in lighter winds.
Probably a bit of technique but I find it so frustrating when you can't get the kite to keep up with the wave.

your usual wind turtlehunter, is probably different to what we generally kite.
90% of my sessions are in cross-onshore stuff. **** angle for down the line type stuff...
WA is probably a lot more side-shore (and maybe even where Jedibrad kites)...?

i'm still unsure about kite combos.
6-8-10 was great for travelling. simplicity was also nice.
hmmmmm.

***feeling like eppo***

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
26 Aug 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

^^^lol

Jedibrad
NSW, 527 posts
26 Aug 2014 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TurtleHunter said..

Jedibrad said..

Just trying to help

Obviously you can't straight line it, but for smashing proper reo's down the line, ya can't beat it

I did a 2013 Ben Wilson Namotu week and noticed benny would sneak out for a quick kite as the trades picked up at about lunch time. With a big kite he'd rip it up while the waves had only little ripples on them. I had a 12 but hadn't used it much so i practiced all summer on early Noreasters

This year at namotu I was first out almost everyday and had a couple of sessions on my own

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
26 Aug 2014 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

yep something to work on perhaps

COL
NSW, 551 posts
27 Aug 2014 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

2014 10m is a big kite in my opinion for 75kg. 8m is now definately my main kite. An old 6m Rally does for 25kn +. I'd be looking at a 17m if I wanted bigger than 10m.
Col

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
28 Aug 2014 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

2015 reos arrived today but the graphs are showing red arrows for the next week
Anyway had a quick look and the bag has changed completely. It now has a big plastic zip with a sleeve inside for the bar but it looks like I will now need to fold my kites twice to fit. I haven't rolled the kites out yet but the double ripstop material feels extra waxy. Probably the biggest thing is the bar only comes with a short leash.
After putting it all back in the bag and thowing it over my shoulder (bag is padded and super comfy on your back) I found one of the clips on the straps has a whistle which I found the dog loved so may be handy for calling the dog when leaving the beach.
So hopefully the graphs are wrong and I can take one for a spin

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Aug 2014 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

The whistle is there for the missus , so she can signal you that your apres kite beer has reached the required temperature, apparently

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
28 Aug 2014 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
The whistle is there for the missus , so she can signal you that your apres kite beer has reached the required temperature, apparently

So why didn't come with an instruction manual for the missus

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Reo" started by vendeavours