Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone 2009 news

Created by Kitepower Australia > 9 months ago, 22 Nov 2008
Macca Wollongong
NSW, 295 posts
24 Dec 2008 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

i can feel myself getting poor'er next year :( better start cranking some OT

One thing ozone hasnt changed over the years is the actual lines, my 06 lines are still strong as!

some good bar photos under the sport on teh ozone web site now.

my words of input get rid of the black plastic line thru the bar and the safty line and replace it with the same stuff they use on the 08 up the center of the bar.

everything else looks hot

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
24 Dec 2008 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Macca Wollongong said...

my words of input get rid of the black plastic line thru the bar and the safty line and replace it with the same stuff they use on the 08 up the center of the bar.

That black thing looks um er ordinary. I wonder if you can change it.
Though two lines through the bar rubbing against each other = wear so it probably has a use.
The bridle looks like any other SLE to me and i don't know but it looks like it is screaming for a 5th line.
Yet to see what the edge looks like but i guess it isn't such a dis-similar set up.
The chicken loop is fine, and the kites look lower aspect than 08's

Looking forward to testing the range out as soon as Mr Hard gets them.

I seriously hope the edge retains its grunt.

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
24 Dec 2008 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

cRAZY Canuk said...

How bout the all important question - Pricing?

Hey CC,

Haven't been given a new pricelist yet, but I expect they will be going up. They are well below the price of most other premium brands as it is. Ozone decided to wait until the new models rather than have a price hike mid model.

I hate all this waiting!

Merry Christmas,

Macca Wollongong
NSW, 295 posts
24 Dec 2008 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

Macca Wollongong said...

That black thing looks um er ordinary. I wonder if you can change it.
Though two lines through the bar rubbing against each other = wear so it probably has a use.
The bridle looks like any other SLE to me and i don't know but it looks like it is screaming for a 5th line.
Yet to see what the edge looks like but i guess it isn't such a dis-similar set up.
The chicken loop is fine, and the kites look lower aspect than 08's

Looking forward to testing the range out as soon as Mr Hard gets them.

I seriously hope the edge retains its grunt.

i was thinking the same still looks like a 5th line would go well, but then i noticed teh left and right LE bridals reach all the wat to the center strut, and i gather thats where they are getting some more support there.

I havnt ridden an edge in the other models but i think thats what ill go for to replace my 11m 06

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Dec 2008 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

The good news is that the kites are now on order, Yes, orders have been placed and they are on their way to our shores!

SUPER EXCITED!

Shouldn't be too long now. Sorry, we still have no firm pricing on the new kites

Good winds,

walshd
SA, 601 posts
4 Jan 2009 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Any news yet??

C'mon Ozone, get some demos out

twannie
8 posts
4 Jan 2009 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

i got mine yesterday !rode a little bit on a 9m in 25 gusty winds !
need some more wind for a full report !Its interesting though !
really clean design en feels more like c kite this year ! Really grunty kite ! fast setting on the kite feels light but good feeling ...feels like need to edge with the board more this year ,.especially in power turns !!
Kite is super stable and very rigid ! Struts and L.E. are bigger and flying speed through window is a bit slower than last years model !

Only had a few hours so will post more when i get some more in.....

As i said its interesting ;)

Twan

5 Jan 2009 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

Any news yet??

C'mon Ozone, get some demos out

They are leaving the factory this week, might be lucky and see them before the weekend if not early next week for sure!!!!
Excited!

Cya and

Goodwinds

steve

cjcos2
VIC, 37 posts
10 Jan 2009 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

2009 Prices are up on Kitepower website.

Sport+
11m $2199
13m $2399

Ouch

Yes I know, I have a 13m Edge II and it was worth every cent, but $2399 still hurts

Buschy
QLD, 188 posts
10 Jan 2009 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

At that price it makes good economic sense to look into the next to new 08's that are listed in Buy & Sell for half that price.

Same Ozone build quality, same Ozone attention to detail.

twannie
8 posts
10 Jan 2009 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Ok ! some info !

We rode all 3 models this week !
Been on the Sport 11m for a few days now and i can say that one changed a lot ! It became a freestyle monster !
Powerfull and unhooked the best feeling ever..Lots of grunt and the bar feeling is really nice ! Take it out in light wind and in high wind the kite still feels the same !
Amazingly clean design when you see it in the air and whilst flying,,,
My quess it has 15% more hangtime than previous kite!
The thru the bar safety works really well and with the option of taking it off its perfect !
Bar is a bit bit square in the middle .
The main thing improved is the feedback on the bar ,.. lovely !
There is no more on/off feeling in gusts the thing just goes with a super steady pull!
Unhooked it doesn't pull you of your edge anymore so plenty time for focusing newschool hp tricks without being pulled forward to much .

Whenever you guys get one ride it at least a few hours/days to find out what changed ,,,,,,, it still has that Ozone feeling all the rest is different

The thicker tubes and L.e slow down the flying speed a little but making it super stable and easy to relaunch,..
Easy is the word for this kite this year !

Lights: We took out a 8m yesterday ! Turns on a dime and really powerfull!
No flapping or whatsoever anymore ! great kite !
I recon the wavekite for this year !

Edge: tried an 11m and still has that Edge feeling,.. long floaty jumps but with improved bar feeling and cleaner design ! Turns fast ,, as fast as other years !

Overall i'm pretty impressed with the new range this year !from bag to goodies and kites it all looks like it has come together!
Top of the knot quality .
We are the first ones to get them out in Vietnam and i think there a almost 20 kites sold now with all of the buyers being super stoked and happy and with great feedback !

Ah, for people who think 4 lines is not as good as 5 lines ! Forget it ! Bar is clean and 4 lines is a dream to set up.!All kites work super well on 4 lines!!!!

Hope you guys get to try m soon and say what you think !

I'm in love !

Twan

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
10 Jan 2009 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

twannie said...

Ok ! some info !

Edge: tried an 11m and still has that Edge feeling,.. long floaty jumps but with improved bar feeling and cleaner design ! Turns fast ,, as fast as other years !

What do you mean by clean design?
Does it retain the grunt from 08?
Please tell me more.......

tino
443 posts
10 Jan 2009 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

2009 Prices are up on Kitepower website.

Sport+
11m $2199
13m $2399

Ouch

Ouch INDEED - they are expensive!!!

11 Jan 2009 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

@Tino - look around the price of an Ozone is comparable to all other major brands in Australia, right now.
Cabrinha prices increased to dealers by 12.5% on 1/1/09 so even the Cabs are going up to around $2199 for a 12 M kite.

Many teeth were gnashed over the price increases, but with inflation in Vietnam running at 20+%, materials prices rising substantially, and the quality of the kites it was inevitable that there had to be an increase.

The kites will be worth it, Ozone has never been a cheap cut corners brand.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

cjcos2
VIC, 37 posts
11 Jan 2009 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Had a ball yesterday on a downwinder from Ricketts Point to St Kilda. Was out on my 13m Ozone Edge II, wind around 3.30pm at the start was 20 – 25knts, after we left Brighton it was dying down 15 – 18knts.

Came past Sandringham Yacht Club and noticed an 11m 2009 Ozone Sport+ in the air. The rider was a Swedish guy, who then tagged along on our downwinder. Had a chance to ride the 11m Sport+ from Brighton Beach to St Kilda.

Quick look at the kite and you can see the usual ozone quality build, nice to see the ability to change the feel and turning speed of the kite. Kite was set up on fast turning with lighter bar pressure the whole time I rode it.

The Bar setup is super nice, simple and functional. The second safety line coming down through the bar wrapped around the main, above the bar after some spins, and made it a bit harder to move the bar. I assume this problem would be the same with all brands that have adopted such a below the bar system, would a larger hole in the bar insert solve this problem or create other issues?

YES, it still has that Ozone feeling! Nice and smooth, easy too fly, direct feel. Doesn’t initiate the turn as lightning quick as my Edge, but turning speed once going is great.

I was impressed with amount of depower available through the bar, nice and progressive, amazing considering that there is no pulleys on the bridle. You also get more depower / tuning through the trim strap as there is more line that can go through the cleat.

Water relaunch not tested.

The wind was average and I couldn’t get any decent boosts out of it in the short time I had on it.

Unhooked a couple of times at St Kilda once without touching the trim strap, huge difference to my Edge, the kite just sat there and bar pressure was great.

Twannie mentioned above the ‘clean design’, this is really obvious if you have been riding the 08 Instincts with 5 lines and anti invert lines. You look up at the 2009 kite and just see a simple 4 line set up, which is so much 'cleaner' than the old set up.

I did notice that through some turns that the canopy wasn’t as taught down near the wingtips, wasn’t fluttering but you could see some distortion. The kite could have been pumped a bit harder, and I was probably oversheating the kite in the average winds.

Impressed, Yes. Similar feel, simpler set up.
Needed more wind and time to get boosting down, I better start saving my $$ for a 13m Sport+, all 2399 of them
Cheers, Carl.

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Jan 2009 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,

Just thought I might leak out a little more exciting info in the run up to Kitestock. Of course AKS will be there with a whole heap of the new Ozone 2009 Kites for demo where you will be able to ride the new Instinct Sport +, the Edge RX and the Light XC in various sizes.

Big news though is that Ozone have kindly donated another kite to be given away as a prize at this years Kitestock. An 8m Ozone Instinct Light XC surf kite will be given to some lucky punter during the course of the weekend.

Just make sure you come up and demo the kites to be in the running.

Good news,

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Jan 2009 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Peeps,

I finally have an answer to the question I have been being asked 50 times a day for the last couple of weeks.

"When are the new Ozones going to be available for demo?"

The answer is ....... Monday! 19-01-09 YAY! Finally!

And the forecast looks awesome!

Haha! Game on!

17 Jan 2009 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Kitehard said...

Hi Peeps,

I finally have an answer to the question I have been being asked 50 times a day for the last couple of weeks.

"When are the new Ozones going to be available for demo?"

The answer is ....... Monday! 19-01-09 YAY! Finally!

And the forecast looks awesome!

Haha! Game on!

That makes two of us! Found a lovelly shipping confirmation in my inbox this morning which means the kites will be here Monday most likely, possibly Tuesday if the boys at customs have "Mondayitis"...

Cheers.

menox
NSW, 152 posts
17 Jan 2009 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

hey steve, would you be holding a demo day with the new kites ?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ozone 2009 news" started by Kitepower Australia