Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

The 2011 slingshot RPM

Created by Adventure Sports Noosa > 9 months ago, 9 Mar 2011
16 Apr 2011 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

So everyone knows taxi is talking about less than 12 knts on a 12mtr ive been out with him when its probably less than 10 and hes still going fine, just not up wind .So in my opinion the rpms go fine in light winds if your doing down winders or river mouths.
George

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
16 Apr 2011 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

woodys said...
One interesting crossover design provision is :-
the 8M comes with a 17cm bar - 20M lines
the 9M comes with a 17cm bar - 23M lines
the 10M comes with a 20cm bar - 23M lines

I wonder why it isnt a 20cm bar with 20M lines?
Wouldnt you just love the job R&Ding all these possible options

Anyhow - how it performs is what its all about so come and try it in the real world.

OOPS 17 & 20 cm bars would be a tad tiny.
Gets confusing when different measurement systems are used.
SS actually print on the bar 17x20 & 20x23 etc - so there can be no confusion !!!!
They are measuring bars in inches & lines in metres. ?
My bad for dropping in the 'cm' quote.
Other cos. would quote 45cm & 50cm - which arent accurate either if you do the conversion maths.
Out of interest I'll get out a tape and measure them, & others, tomorrow.

Any one know the international standard for where bar measurement should be recorded??
Im going to take it from line to line - what do you reckon.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
17 Apr 2011 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

I think it might be 45cm--55cm bar from line attachments on the Slingy .

kiter2007
WA, 102 posts
20 Apr 2011 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I took out the 9m 2011 RPM from Woodies Kite yesterday for a session. Very stable and well handling kite, I found it as little faster then last years 8m and the 9m felt like a great size in 22 knots gusting to 26 knots. Took a while to try and dial my riding as it is a completely different style from my 2011 fuel, I found the RPM with very forgiving and allowed for a lot more mistakes where the fuel would just punch you in the mouth! The RPM held its shape really well during kiteloops and was quick enough to make it back up to zenith to make for a soft landing! It unhooked well and was great for riding in the surf. It holds its place in the wind window really well when riding downwind and you can pretty much just park it and ride. I found this is a great crossover kite for wanting to start unhooked wakestyle tricks but still love to hit up the waves and do downwinders.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
21 Apr 2011 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Kiter2007 coming of a Fuel you would of had the RPM on wake settings you would think , giving it a more C feel.

kiter2007
WA, 102 posts
21 Apr 2011 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

yeah played with both settings! Found the kite was best on the wake setting! Should of spent more time with the bar pressure as i had it set on the lightest setting and it was to light for what i am use to.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
22 Apr 2011 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Its true - the 2 front line setting options make a huge difference. If you are used to C kites then you will probably feel right at home on the 'wake' setting but I hated it. The kite sits way back in the window & pulls like the proverbial.
Changed to the 'freestyle' pigtails and it flew way forward, upwinded with ease and did everything I like about my SLE's.
I didnt notice a lot of difference with the depower. Seemed to have plenty on both settings.
For advanced riders looking for a kite for all reasons & seasons the RPM does it all.

gzietsman
QLD, 4 posts
29 Apr 2011 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Edgeguts said...

Hi people,need help
Any bigger lads (around 100kg) ride a 12m?
I'm debating whether to get a 12m rpm or 13m Fuel .
I ride a 9m Octane with 142cm board comfortably anywhere from 23knts plus and need something to get me moving around 17knts.(mostly flat water riding)
Don't see to many 14m rpm's around over here and i hear they turn pretty slow.
cheers for any positive info

Hey bro....

i weigh in at round 95
i have a 10/12/14 RPM
i have hardly used the 14 (think x2 in last 8 months)
the 12m pulls me, un-hooked etc etc etc
its a wicked kite, you will not be sorry
14m is great in low winds for trying things you may be worried about in strong wind, as she moves slowly and steady, so much room for error.....!

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
6 May 2011 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Some joy by the end of next week with the new kites gentlemen .

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
7 May 2011 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

I hope ur right Taxi.
We 've got a line waiting at the rank here.

Demos of the new 2011 9M size have had rocking responses.
Despite very little visible sign of changes (apart from the split strut) all ex RPM owners have reported improved flying characteristics?
The RPM is a very special kite - in a class all of its own.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
7 May 2011 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

I hear you on that one Puppetonastring , the 9m is steering up a bit of interest over here , and i bet would be a great surf kite.

19 May 2011 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Well Taxi you should be happy now your 9 is here and so is my demo cant wait to get them on the water ,hoping to get out tomorrow on the 12 with blown away ( we will take some pics )
Have fun
George

Blownaway
QLD, 776 posts
19 May 2011 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Due to the fact that we want to fly some new kites....there will be no wind tomoro...sorry !

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
20 May 2011 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Blownaway said...

Due to the fact that we want to fly some new kites....there will be no wind tomoro...sorry !

How good was that today Phil.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
20 May 2011 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Flew both the 12m& 9m today gusty 11 to 16knots SouthSou\East waist to overhead swell,I will start by saying the 12 now cranks up wind and with the direct Southerly we had at times the kite floated down the line extremely well and gives you confidence in your kitesurfing. Self landing though needs a bit more precision as the leading edge is now slightly lifted in the center which will catch the wind if not done wright. As for the 9m could not give much feedback yet as it was not in it's wind range though but still managed a good down wind run , the kite fly's like the 8 but obviously more power, I think will be a excellent surf kite with surfboard 17knots plus. The build quality is very good,would be interesting to see what feedback we get on this kite.I'm stoked.

woodys
WA, 218 posts
20 May 2011 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good Taxi. I hope you have underestimated the 9M with surfboard combo. I'd be hoping for around 15 knots for comfortable riding if its with a surfboard.
Looking for your 17kts with TT - at the very least ????

Damn - I still havent had a chance to ride the 9m demo - in any conditions/combos. Im sure I will get to kite again one day
Sounds like our new stock of 6M - 12M RPMs will be hitting the floor early next week.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
21 May 2011 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Your wright Woodys, 15knots plus would be sufficient.

Murf1
WA, 255 posts
31 May 2011 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone compare the 2011 rally 10m with a new rpm 9m ?

most importantly, would the power of each kite be equivalent ? Im 80kg and use both TT and SB

Thanks

woodys
WA, 218 posts
1 Jun 2011 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Soon as I possibly can Monkeyfish.
If I ever get out there again - been a long time now.
You can compare for yourself if want to organise a demo. We have both available. Ride them side by side on the same day and see for yourself.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
11 Jun 2011 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions 7.30 am Southerly Gusty 13 to 19 cross offshore, I dear say cold for the Sunny Coast and after a week and a half with out wind it was a must to go kiting . Pumped up the 9m and launched the the kite and due to the cross off was a bit sketchy in the air but managed to grab my 5'9 JS and set off out back , once about 50yrds out the wind cleaned up and managed to drop into some nice clean faced right-handers ,unhooked the kite drifted down the line beautifully and the need to depower the kite as much was not evident , it felt really good and comfortable or I'll use that word confidence in what I was doing. All in all I had a great run on this kite i think the 9m will proberly be my main kite this year . The stiching all the way along the struts leaves the kite canopy full and tight at all times .
Will be interesting to hear the reviews on this kite.

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
14 Jun 2011 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys, heres a little teaser for those of you waiting for your 2011 RPM. Orange colour scheme. Started to feel pretty maxed out around >33 or so knots and touch under powered <25 knots. 85 kg rider. Loving the lofty jumps, not as high as a delta or a bow, but very measured and controlled the air you do get. I also own a 10m '11 with sees me from 17-25knots, completing my two kite quiver.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"The 2011 slingshot RPM" started by Adventure Sports Noosa