Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

Whyalla Kiteboarding Classic Dec 4th 2010

Created by easto > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2010
easto
116 posts
1 Nov 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi crew......just 4 weeks away now! Seabreezes are kicking in and the Whyalla crew are kiting hard.Entries are looking great and the cash prizes and prizes even better!!!!
The SAKSA crew will be there to help out along with some great people that have put their hands up.
Don't forget to book your beds at the Foreshore Motor Inn or the Whyalla Discovery Caravan Park,both are looking after us and just a stones throw from the beach and a crawl home.
Theres a rumour that the DOGS are coming all the way from Mambo!!
Will wack the comp details up shortly with all the info.
Until then get out there and train for freestyle,downwind,slide,kick or fancydress bordercross (compulsory entry).Crossdress accepted !! Lucky for some.
Cheers........Comp crew

fastfredo
50 posts
3 Nov 2010 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to this event with Easto & Jac and the gang. Will be up shooting water (fisheye) and from the beach so if anyone is looking for some shots then make a bee-line for me in the water. There will be no prizes for decapitating the photographer.

loverboy
WA, 614 posts
3 Nov 2010 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looking good guys- super fired up for this one. If you are trying to decide whether to go or not, just do it! Rad crew and an awesome spot to ride.

jamdfingr
QLD, 663 posts
3 Nov 2010 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Is this an event accessible for those of us who are still learning to come and check out what the more experienced guys can do while being able to also have a little beginner session as well?

Or if we are not up to that level to find a different beach to practise on so as not to over-crowd the water?

Cheers.....

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
3 Nov 2010 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jamdfinger, the Whyalla comp is a very friendly freeride style event with people of all age and skill levels on the water. Last year the riders voted who the best riders were through out the day and the top riders in each group had a final run.

The comp isn't just freestyle there is also upwind and downwind racing, sliders, boardercross, fancy dress and skimboard comps plus there is a lot of other novelty prizes for people that are just getting out and giving it a go. So even if your not a fierce competitor it is worth entering the comp to get the free T-Shirt and be eligible to win other prizes.

When the tide is out in whyalla there is not going to be a lot of room east of the sandbar where most people will be ridding, but there is another lagoon on the other side that you will safely be able to cruse around, as the tide comes in there will be over 1km of flat water with only a small amount of it being taken up by competitors. So wether you enter the comp or not there will definitely be a good chance for you to get out and have a ride, then come in at the end of the day and watch the finals and enjoy a beer at the foreshore motor in that is 50m from the comp area.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
3 Nov 2010 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

doolz
SA, 127 posts
3 Nov 2010 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

yeh Jamdfinger i did my first whyalla comp a couple of years ago while i was still learning great place to ride with the shallow waters and a really good kite community who also know how to throw an awesome event i wouldn't miss this one seeyou all there

jamdfingr
QLD, 663 posts
4 Nov 2010 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, I think I may pen that one into my calendar!

Chap
SA, 164 posts
5 Nov 2010 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to it guys.

Doolz, better get in training with the Listerine just to limber up for Gargleblasters...

doolz
SA, 127 posts
5 Nov 2010 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Chap said...

Looking forward to it guys.

Doolz, better get in training with the Listerine just to limber up for Gargleblasters...

Just when i thought those reacurring nightmares had gone dont worry chap i would of just completed all the training i need for whyalla at mambosee you there

max14
SA, 220 posts
5 Nov 2010 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hahaha I still have nightmares about the milang pub and gargle blasters... Goooood times!!! Hanging to catch all you lads in my home town.

action_ms69
SA, 242 posts
9 Nov 2010 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

WELL CREW, TIME TO GET STOKED, THE WYHALLA COMP IS UNDER A MONTH AWAY.
If you havent got accomdation yet check out the info below

Time to book accomdation... I reckon we all stay at the foreshore Motor inn, as the caravan park didnt realy have much love to us last time..

whyallaforeshore.com.au/garden-view-rooms

Ok kiddys Whyalla Foreshore have come to the party are are doing sick deals on accommodation... And its right next to the comp site, and a long stuble but easy taxi ride from the Eyre night club. About $90 for a basic room plus $10 for extra people

Just ring and say that you are part of the Whyalla kite comp, we have had rooms put aside for crew traveling.

Good on the whyalla crew for putting a event on.

Whyalla Foreshore motel Ph 0886458877

If you have never been to Whyalla, its one of the funniest places in SA to kite.
The crew have the biggest stoke factor and are always keen to share that with other kiters.

Don't hesitate! get your car, bag and esky packed and drive on up.

Im keen to see the boys again and have a fun weekend.
Look forward to seeing everyone there.

easto
116 posts
11 Nov 2010 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

That sound great about the crew coming from Adelaide!!!!!! and yes For sure there will be a Juniors section,we have a couple from Lincoln as well and they will all be promised a prize! the groms are our future.Will have all the program up by the end of the weekend so everyone can see what will be happening on the day.Dont forget get your costumes together for the Bordercross....a massive 1st prize but must be in costume!!!!.its gonna be a cracker!Great to see the support from the Adelaide crew!!!!!!!! Many thanks!

action_ms69
SA, 242 posts
12 Nov 2010 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

How do we enter this great event... Do we need to do before the day or can we do it on the day..
Getting heaps stoked for it!!!

easto
116 posts
14 Nov 2010 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

3 WEEKS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on seabreezes.........find a link for the ENTRY FORM below-$30 with free comp shirt.
http://www.xtremekitepaddle.com.au/news.html

PLEASE- print and pre-complete the form for quick and easy rego on the day and to get in first to secure your comp shirt as they are limited.

Rego starts strictly from 11am to 1pm ,as team officials have alot to sort on the day.

Dont forget massive CASH and PRODUCT prizes from our great sponsors!!!!!!!
Also support the Whyalla Discovery Holiday Park as they are a sponsor and just a stones throw from the comp-Ph 0886457083
Comp details up shortly!
Cheers.........Whyalla Kiteboarding Classic Comp crew

easto
116 posts
24 Nov 2010 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

JUST 10 DAYS TO GO!!!!! Practice while we have the seabreezes....they are finally here!!!

COMP DETAILS-

11am to 1pm-Entries (Strict times)
2.20pm-Rider brief (everyone must attend)
2.30pm-Make you way to start of downwinder
3pm- Downwinder
3.30pm-Slider/Kicker as finishing downwinder
4.00pm-Junior Freestyle + grand masters (male + female)
4.15pm-Open mens amateurs freestyle -heat 1
4.30pm-" " - heat 2
4.45pm-Masters freestyle
5.00pm-Open freestyle womens (all females to ride together)
5.15pm-Open freestyle mens-heat 1
5.30pm-" " -heat 2
6.15pm-Pro shootout (best 10 riders or so)
6.45pm-Freeride for everyone
7.30pm-Bordercross

We have alot to get through so times could vary but start times are strict so be ready on the beach for your heats!
Thanks to our great sponsors........Avid Engineering/Xtreme Kites & Paddle/Events Whyalla/Whyalla City Council/One Steel/Slingshot/Best/Cardboards/Derevko/F-One/Nobile/Whyalla Foreshore Kiosk/AT Maintenance Services/Bay 10 Accommodation/Des's Cabs/Discovery Holiday Parks

See you all there!!!!!!!!! Comp crew.

easto
116 posts
24 Nov 2010 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone is confused....we are seperating the groups as we may have too many riders....ie-heat 1 will not ride in heat 2.There are no elimination heats,just ride hard in your heat to gain points!!! This comp isnt just about pro riders ,its for everyone ,just take a look at the prizes!!!!!

Apart from the above mentioned heats (1st and R-up) we will have prizes for-

Last overline
Best crash
Biggest air
Best Kitebitch
Most consistant
Best dressed in B-cross
Worst dressed in B-cross
King and queen of the Gulf (most points thru-out comp)

And also everyone that enters will be in the draw for 20 prizes at the presentations (must be present).

So all the more reason to HIT Whyalla sat 4th december!!!!!!!!!!!!!

action_ms69
SA, 242 posts
24 Nov 2010 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Whyalla crew,

Just a question, why change the format from last year, just one big free ride event..

I am not to stoked that i am going to drive for 6 hours to get 15 mins on the water!!! in a heat, and maybe 20 mins in a downwinder and boarder cross..

What are your plans for people that are beginners and just want to get out and ride???

Hope you can answer these questions, because they have been raised to me...

Thanks

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
24 Nov 2010 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Looks like I will be heading up for the day only by myself.

Anyone want a lift.

Let me know.

Danny

easto
116 posts
24 Nov 2010 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Stew.......just a reminder.Whyalla is only a 4 hr drive from Adelaide.......

This is a competition that is for everyone to enjoy.....ie...downwinder ( everyone can go downwind..Right)- for all
Bordercross...equal-for all
Freestyle...juniors,opens,master,amatuers,grandmasters-male and female.-for all
Freeride-" " for all
Pro shootout and slider/kickers...maybe not for everyone.

We also had complaints about last comp with too many people on the water at once in the freestyle so we needed to split the heats.

So for every rider that wants to drive only four hours (as we drive 6.5hrs for State Titles for 7 mins) im sure that its worth it if you compete in all sections then you will have 1hr and 55 mins on the water.....you can also ride before the comp!

If you and anyone else wants to just compete in 1 section then thats fine with us! Up to you!!!!

Cheers....comp crew

easto
116 posts
24 Nov 2010 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

And also forgot to mention ...if you dont want to hit the slider/kicker then you also have at least 30 mins to freeride after the downwinder even more time on the water !!!!! We will also have the slider/kicker set up during the Freestyle comps,50m upwind from comp zone for anyone to hit.
So that takes time on the water to 2.5 hrs for everyone to enjoy!!!
Hope that answers any questions Stew, always happy to help!

easto
116 posts
26 Nov 2010 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Ok...we have listened to some riders complaints about format.....we cant please everyone but we will help in any way we can.

We are now ditching the heats so all Am mens and Open mens will ride together in 1 heat for a longer period,pro's being -"time on the water is more"....and non pros -"too many riders in the small area we have in Whyalla".......as we said we cant please everyone......but remember the comp is for everyone!!!! if we are running short of time the B-cross will be incorporated in with the freeride at the end.

Look for details of times on comp day!
See you there..........
Comp crew

action_ms69
SA, 242 posts
26 Nov 2010 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Crew, Stoked for the new Format..

Heaps of rooms available Whyalla Foreshore motel Ph 0886458877

So get your self ready, Pack your Esky, maybe a few kites, and do the drive

liquidchild
SA, 107 posts
26 Nov 2010 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Me and the family is coming...looking forward to it.

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
27 Nov 2010 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

I was planning on a 10 hour drive until I found out this guy will be in the comp.
Not sure about the hand placement on the bar though. Must be working on his new dick trick that his going to bring out for the Comp.

Competition too hot for this old fart

walshd
SA, 601 posts
30 Nov 2010 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Guys, do you need a current SAKSA membership to enter in the comp?

Whyalla did not have a saksa signup day this year so like many others, I have not yet re-newed my membership this year.

Can we do it on the day or have to go online prior?

BTW, Ian pack your syhte and get over here mate. Mexicans are welcome too you know

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
30 Nov 2010 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Wind report for Saturday?

Kiteboarding SA
SA, 262 posts
30 Nov 2010 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

Whyalla did not have a saksa signup day this year so like many others, I have not yet re-newed my membership this year.

Can we do it on the day or have to go online prior?

Hi Walshy,

All registrations have gone online this year- it is now a rolling membership so you get a full 12 months from the date you join. The other new bit of news that will interest you is you can choose for the portion of your membership that is not paying for the insurance to be allocated to Whyalla- a good chance for you guys to get some money and run some of your own social events.

As regards the signup day- we will be coming up to have a bbq and a chat in the new year. We sincerely apologise for not being able to make it up sooner but due to multiple other commitments we decided it was better to do the bbq later and properly.

Hope that clears it all up,

Cheers

SAKSA

kitingtopher
SA, 313 posts
30 Nov 2010 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

booked in and kene. weather not looking great according to willy weather( but where else do you employ someone who is wrong most of the time) still to far away . hows the seabreezes been in whyalla waxman? sposed to be warm . should be a good day no doubt.. low tide 2 pm high at 8 pm. ssw wind moderate forecast, kene to try 2011 stuff and see lots of kites on the water

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
30 Nov 2010 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

BTW, Ian pack your syhte and get over here mate. Mexicans are welcome too you know

Hey Danny,
Keeping an eye on the forecast.

easto
116 posts
30 Nov 2010 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

You dont have to be a SAKSA member to enter the comp but we highly advise you to join ........just go online and sign up,put your mind at ease anyway!!!!

Forecast not looking so good at present but Whyalla has been known to do some strange things......Everyone prey for those ****ty low systems to push through!!!

PREY....PREY ....PREY!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   South Australia

"Whyalla Kiteboarding Classic Dec 4th 2010" started by easto