Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Chook and Landyachts pennyfarthing thread

Created by landyacht > 9 months ago, 18 Aug 2013
landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
12 Apr 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

pennyfarthing or autocycle, ,when I saw this on special in a bike shop in melbourne yesterday i had to bring it home

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
13 Apr 2014 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

bugger me the old landyacht has still got it!!!!! entered my first 60km handicap today, and managed to scrape up a 3rd place and not feel tooo shattered after for a 7km ride back home. . any news on the wire front chook,Im putting the recumbent together and the shed will be getting empty

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
29 Apr 2014 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

to the next level

US306
55 posts
29 Apr 2014 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

COOL, I want one!

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
29 Apr 2014 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

WOW that is appealing, someone has made themselves a lot -o- money and helped the planet....10/10

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
29 Apr 2014 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

I want 1, 2

TeamWally
VIC, 47 posts
30 Apr 2014 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Cool but not as cool as Chooks ring roller with reverse rolling former IMO.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
30 Apr 2014 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

That's very cool Vic!!!!

Been away Paul, will get onto a supply of the trellis wire.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
2 May 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chook2 said..

That's very cool Vic!!!!

Been away Paul, will get onto a supply of the trellis wire.

dang chook your timing shocking, I started on this little beast yesterday

just a simple his and hers racebike,10x2 speed, clip in pedals,the lot
should come in under 16kg fully tricked out

how was yeppoon

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
3 May 2014 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

"how was Yeppoon?"

AWESOME!!!!!!

After cyclone Isa, we did get some light wind days and had to go to a 13.4m2 race kite. Got to 56.2 kmh with this in a measured (with a Kestral wind meter) 7 knots of wind and did over 230 kms with it. 2 knots is enough to get me going with this kite.

I only travelled 743 kms this time there, as the winds were pretty light for the first week. Beaches were perfectly smooth and 300mts wide at low tide, for 23 kms long, which was a bonus.

Very sad to get home and find Pink Lake flooded.
The farmers are going full bore with seeding well under way here.

You can see Andy "with camera" and I playing and getting tangled up. Pretty clever to come together like that, as the beach was so huge.

Chook.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
6 May 2014 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

glad your clocking the miles chook, youve sailed more that all the lefroy boys put together this year.
My tandem is a tad stalled after i fell off a bike after 45 years.
most painfull part of driving the cruiser back to kalgoorlie was when my dislocated shoulder dropped back into place when i went over a little pothole.
fk knows how painful it would have been if id broken something. should get back on the bike in a week or 2, definately no alndyachts getting done this week

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
6 May 2014 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

What! Not another softcock
Lucky its been raining then otherwise pushin that lawnmower'd be a might bit painful

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
6 May 2014 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

how did this one slip through the net.
i feel like we're trying to break into a secret society
www.pennyfarthingdan.com.au/

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
10 Aug 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77526
a lads got to keep busy whilst waiting on the spoke gods to answer

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
10 Aug 2014 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey lovin' that Paul.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
12 Aug 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Something a bit different with a sail.

A wire sculpture.

sn
WA, 2775 posts
12 Aug 2014 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chook2 said..

A wire sculpture.

but the important thing is....

did you measure the wire diameter?

stephen

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
8 Sep 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

got the last bike put of the way , so i can start tuning up ;andyachts ready for september

gotta get Spirit of stupidity ready for its new owner, then clean up the 5 for the weekend , gonna be needing those stormies back soon lads

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
2 Nov 2014 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

I have been busy making a grape vine trellis for our front entrance at home.

It has turned out to be much more work than I ever expected, from when I first had the brain fart.

The first person to tell me the tune and find the wrong note (which has now been corrected) wins a chocolate frog.

Each line is 3.0mtrs long and made out of 6mm galvanized rod. It takes me 1/2 a day per line to build on average.
A bit of poetic licence as they are all minim notes. (Had to ask my wife that, as I can't read music)

I have used 317 mtrs of rod so far.

Now to build the frame to fit them all too.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
2 Nov 2014 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

How are we supposed tell the difference between minims and crotchets? Where are the repeats, repeating from? What happened to the last bass line?
What voices/instruments is it scored for? Whats the tempo/volume/key signature? That lotsa accidental seem to be in the wrong place!
Noice woik mait

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
2 Nov 2014 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

What are you going to use the spare rod for? "PennyFartthing spokes?

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
2 Nov 2014 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Test pilot 1 said..
How are we supposed tell the difference between minims and crotchets? Where are the repeats, repeating from? What happened to the last bass line?
What voices/instruments is it scored for? Whats the tempo/volume/key signature? That lotsa accidental seem to be in the wrong place!
Noice woik mait

Ha ha, told you there is some poetic licence here Wayne.
I cant read music so I just copied it as it was originally written. (bare in mind these pieces are not from the very start of the song.)
Last base line wont fit across the roof mate. So been omitted.
Those pieces are slightly longer at 3.1mtrs. Except one I forgot about cutting 100mm longer when laying it out.

Piano and vocal if it helps. That's what my wife teaches.

So what's the tunes smarty bum
I have run out of rod now. (So has Blue scope steel here in town)

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
2 Nov 2014 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

cant read top 2 staves

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
3 Nov 2014 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
3 Nov 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

The wrong note is the # on the A, third treble piano staff, second bar, third note. It should be the F under it . This is indicated by the naturalizing accidental on the F, fourth piano treble line, first bar, third note. There are 2 other flat(b) accidentals which seem to be in wrong places as they are not actually on notes, namely third piano bass staff, second bar, last note, indicating a flattened G stem and fourth piano treble staff, second bar fifth note, indicating a flattened E stem. Is that rough enough for a chocolate frog. After typing the notes into "Sibelius" (a music writing/composing/transposing program) and playing the piece I am afraid I dont recognize the tune!

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
3 Nov 2014 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

I want to teach the world to build....
in wood ,glass ally and steel....
. i was almost about to start on the new mini when i picked up a 1947 swansea 2 swan. sweeeet set of wheels

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
3 Nov 2014 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha, that's just code to me TP1. I honestly don't understand. I owe you a chocky frog for baffling me with that.

Close Landyacht but I changed it. I couldn't get enough notes to overlap vertically to tie it all together with "Teach the world to sing"

Top 6 lines are. "I write the songs" By Barry Manifold". With a nose that big it has to be called an air manifold Mr Manilow.

Bottom 5 are "Somewhere over the rainbow".

The Wrong note is in, the 5 line from the top of the second photo, the very first note should have been below the short line it's welded over.
I got stuffed up counting gaps.

1947 wheels, you amaze me where you find this gear Paul. Onya.

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
10 Nov 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

I just had to put this in....... 207mph (333 kmh)

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
10 Nov 2014 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

WOW!! That would stretch your arms.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
18 Nov 2014 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

I dropped a mobile "steel offcut rack" I built off to a customer last week.

While I was there we got talking (not like me eh?) and he asked if I could clear out a section of their storage area within 2 days or it was being crushed for scrap.

I was stunned when I turned the corner to pick them up.
He said a few bikes.

32 bikes later.

Lots of bits for Penny farthings and some alloy 26" yacht wheels.
All for nothing.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Chook and Landyachts pennyfarthing thread" started by landyacht