Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

Long Range Explorer /Papermodel/ 1:25

Created by serpens > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2011
serpens
15 posts
11 Nov 2011 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi folks,

I'm just a papermodeler from Slovakia and I decide to build a 1:25 scale model of postapocalyptic landyacht (you know after the nuclear war the gas is quite rare).
Now it's in 3D stage of build and hopfully in few days first paper parts will be done.

It's just a fiction so probably too havy for real but stil it's just a model. Why I post it here is just because, when I do my background check for land yachts I found this forum and here I found lot of inspiration. So I just want to share and you can take it like some fun on forum.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Miro

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
12 Nov 2011 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Stunning!!!! .... I like your vision

colk2004
317 posts
11 Nov 2011 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Make the sail out of a flexible solar cell (it's the future), lithium storage in the chassis and electric motors in the hubs. Just a thought. Nice design.

Cheers Col

Hiko
1229 posts
12 Nov 2011 5:15AM
Thumbs Up

Clever stuff!!!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
12 Nov 2011 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Very nice design work Miro.

If it can be built light enough it should work very well.

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
12 Nov 2011 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

yep! looks the ducks guts to me.....

is there a copyright on it or not ?

I think it would look good in metal or carbon........

serpens
15 posts
12 Nov 2011 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

I'm glad you like my design! It's nice to get that kind of reply from someone who "can swim in waters of landsailing".

Now I'm a litle bit further with the design. I think all base stuff is done, so I can start work on details.
First of the detailing work was/is/will be the stearing and breaking system.

Breakes are aleready done - I've decided to use the disk breakes (from motobike) mounted on rear wheels, together with two main breaking cylinders (also from motor bike). Breake can by apply to each wheel separatly.

Stearing is in the design phase. It was quite hard to figure out how to do it, but I think I found (together with my colegue on coffe break) how to do it. The solution is the use of steel rope for driving the front axle fork.
The main probelm was the different angles of rotation of the axle fork and stearing pedals. Now on boths sides (pedals and axle fork) will be mouting on the frame for a bowdens and then the rope will go trough a set of leading wheels. This part is under construction, so there are only place holders for the real parts.

Just for better understanding - The pedal is constructed in such way that when you press it with heels you can move it in vertical axe and the press by tip-toe will activate the break.

gibberjoe - this is free to personal use only otherwise I will want some percentage

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
12 Nov 2011 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

you win
BMW and Mercedes couldnt even design somrthing that might have sailed
you should be teaching them!!!!

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
13 Nov 2011 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work,

Steering sounds kinda simmilar to light aircraft, with the brakes activated when the rudder peddles are tilted forward. It does look heavy but careful material selection would most likely get around that.

Copyright is the automatically assigned to author of any artwork. (also is not required to be registered anywhere). You would have a problem however if you wished to get a patent or a design registration, as the design is now a published work.

Regardless it's a well done, with detail realistically considered. Good Work.

serpens
15 posts
13 Nov 2011 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

grlynch - yes the steering is quait similar, but here pedals are constructed little bit different. But still god perception.

Regarding to the percentage - it was of course just a joke, the plan is when I successfuly finish the model it will be for free to download as all my models :)

And try build a real one yacht baset on my model, I don't know. I trying to make it at first good looking and then realistic :)
Maybe if somebody did this yacht in some serious CAD and run some stres analyse, will see there is too many "hot spots" :D

However, few days earlier I try to unroll the most complicated 3D part (for modeling from paper) to see if I will be able to make it and here is the result. It's the cockpit and the overal length is about 7 cm :)

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
13 Nov 2011 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

What CAD package are you using?

serpens
15 posts
13 Nov 2011 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Rhinoceros. I chose this because it can be bought quite cheap if you are a student. And it can relatively easily unroll 3D parts to 2D (it's not similar to sheetmetal tools).

grlynch
QLD, 208 posts
13 Nov 2011 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Cool, Rhino is not bad. If you get stuck just PM me as we use Solid Edge at work which has a prety powerful sheet metal component. It can also rip an STEP, IGES, (or other) into sheet and unfold it as well!

serpens
15 posts
13 Nov 2011 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the offer :) I'm quite familiar with Rhino. I mean there is no problem to draw something in it. But foud the right shape for it to make it look good, thats the problem :)

BTW our Mechanical Designers also use Solid Edge and ProEngeneer too. I spoke with one of my colege from mechanical department (I'm PCB Designer) about sheet metal but as I saw it in work it's not so usefull for paper models.

OK, now I have there 00:33 so I go to get some rest.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
13 Nov 2011 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Looks fantastic!!!!!

Gee the paper model is NICE.
I always build, cut, tack, alter, dream, cut and weld some more. It's then still a compromise.
All that time I'd save, to dream some more.

You have hydraulic brakes, so why not hydraulic steering?
Your pedals would be a perfect setup for it.
They could be setup for differential breaking on the rear to aid cornering at speed as well.

A great project serpens, I love it.

serpens
15 posts
14 Nov 2011 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi folks,

Today I tray to build the probably smalest and complicated part of the model - steering / breaking pedals. It takes me few hours, but I'm fine with it even it's not the best thing I do. For better imagination of the size - the grid on background is 1x1 cm :)

Chook2 said...

You have hydraulic brakes, so why not hydraulic steering?
Your pedals would be a perfect setup for it.

I've been thinking about this since I designed the steering, but I desided to use the steel rope because it will be look more interesting on the model.
If I chosed the hydraulic steering, there wasn't enought space for the cylinders, so they should be inside the frame (hidden) and that's not good for the model look :) But I understand it probably be beter solution.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
14 Nov 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

faaaark

serpens
15 posts
19 Nov 2011 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi folks,

I don't have much time for modeling, just a smal progress. I try to do a wheel to see if I'm able to made it. It's a litle bit wider that it should be, but that's not a big deal.
It's only the base of the wheel, I stil need to make a rim / disk for it. And then repeat it two more times.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
19 Nov 2011 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Why don't you build a full scale one, much easier than your current task Great job so far.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Nov 2011 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Geez!!!!!!! Some people got WAYYYYYYYY Toooo Much Time, it is nice however to see it so well used. Impressive
Ron

harleyd
183 posts
19 Nov 2011 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

very nice very interesting/....but for me its easier to build in full scale......my vision works better on large pieces and my fingers are to big to work on small pieces !!

harleyd
183 posts
19 Nov 2011 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

very nice very interesting/....but for me its easier to build in full scale......my vision works better on large pieces and my fingers are to big to work on small pieces !!

sn
WA, 2775 posts
19 Nov 2011 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Serpens- mate what you are doing there is fantastic!

If I tried anything that detailed I would end up with either the whole lot stuck to my fingers, or bleeding over everything..
most likely a combination of both

keep up the good work- and seriously- think about making a full scale version later as well!

stephen.

serpens
15 posts
20 Nov 2011 4:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hi folks,

Thanks, I'm glad you like my work.

Another update from my build (it's a weekend). I still did nothing on the 3D model, but i make another wheel base (one more missing). This time it was a little bit quicker. I try to do a part of the main frame too - will need some cyanakrylat glue and sand paper, but it's usable.

lachlan3556, sn - I realy will not build a full size one. There is more reasont that one. As I mentioned erlier I'm from Slovakia, which is inland (middle of Europe), alsom I live in a upland of the country. And I do not have tool for this.
But if some one like the design, please feel free to use it.

Nikrum - This is realy not my case. In the casual days (Mo - Fr) I wake up at 05:30 and travel 60 km to work to came back around 17:30 - 18:00. Then spend some time with my wife and little doughter (2y 3m). So my free time start usualy at 20:30 - 21:00. As I'm owner of papermodel forum I did my admin stuff at first and then is the realy free time to do some hobby stuff. And then it's time for bed (23:30 - 00:00).

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Nov 2011 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Serpens,
You are obviously very dexterous with your Hands.. I do not know how big you are BUT; I have a son who is 6'6" Tall and of a solid built and his hands are like Sledge Hammers . He too has daughters one will turn 4yro when they arrive next month the other 2 in March.. Needless to say your Old Dad and Ma are as proud as Cock Sparrows as we are of our Granddaughters. Point being is that Travis is an Artist and for fun he builds and Paints War Hammer 40K figures-------from Scratch or takes parts that weren't designed to go together and when he is finished they fit. I envy you both your Foresight and ability.
Regards,
Ron

serpens
15 posts
10 Dec 2011 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

After a while I'm back with some progress. I was /I'm/ quite bussy in work, so hobby go away for some time. However, I find some time and finish the third tire and put all three to color. Here few phototos of the tires.

Nikrum - I'm about 185 cm tall. And the scratch figures - that's realy the top level of modeling / painting.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
20 Mar 2012 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Unlocked and your other threads post is below. Keep up the awesome work, as we all look forward to the final result!

serpens said...

I want to continue with my topic Long Range Explorer /Papermodel/ 1:25, but I get such message:

Sorry, that topic is too old for replies - it's old news! Maybe start a new topic?

So I start this new one and if it is possible, admin or moderator please merge this two topics to gether. Here link for previous work - www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land-Yacht-Sailing/Construction/Long-Range-Explorer-Papermodel-125/#top

As there was too much wokr from end / begining of new year I don't have as much time as I want for this build. However I bring at least some foto of the main frame. It is second one (frst ends in trash bin)

Regards,
Miro

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
20 Mar 2012 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, this is supposed to be Neb's quote...

That is stupendous, great work

serpens
15 posts
20 Mar 2012 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for merging the threads. I try to put some new pictures soon.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
20 Mar 2012 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Wow !!!!! I am totally blown away with your abilities.

I can't even control a "sticky note". I am in awe, of your design and build skills.

10/10

IPKSA
177 posts
22 Mar 2012 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Amazing !

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Construction

"Long Range Explorer /Papermodel/ 1:25" started by serpens