Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

Lake Lefroy Marathon Weekend.sept 28,29,30

Created by landyacht > 9 months ago, 4 Jun 2013
landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Jun 2013 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Its slowly creeping nearer. just a reminder to all the trophy holders, that you must remember to bring them back if you plan to win them and take them home again.
if you cant make it this year find someone whos going.
vic had better build a longer trailer with a trophy cabinet.
the lake is currently wet , but sth and west winds last week cleared the clubhouse area past the end of the clubhouse, and the ponds are clearing by about 40% when a wind blows, and weve a few months to go.
The Lightning Nickel class 5 marathon trophy, Andrew Bates perpetual marathon Shield(5.6minis) ,Dee Trophy(class 5) and the Kambalda West Trophy(5.6mini) will be raced if conditions allow with priority for the marathons.
please note that the minis will follow the FISLY 5.6 rules which allow for a slightly bigger frame . A 5.6m loop has been made, so make sure you fit in 20" wheels are out , 16" are ok
See you on the lake

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
24 Jun 2013 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

proudly introducing this years new perpetual trophy, the yet unsponsored Best cake competition
1. present a cake on saturday evening for judging. 2. if you wish to be a judge, simply place a small donation in the tin ,get your score sheet , taste and score highest score wins the inaugural trophy for a year for those you dont get the rules, we dont care where or how the cake came to be ,but it needs to be a cake that we can share

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
22 Jul 2013 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

lil stigs been practicing real hard for the new trophy, last sunday there was zero wind and bitterly cold overcast day so the lil darling used me to test out her new pikelet recipe 2 large serves shes gonna be hard to beat

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
30 Jul 2013 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

our resident kiter SYLK got out in a big wind on Saturday and sailed on the main lake salt .
he reconed its reaally smooth and clean. got his PB with a 2.5m race kite.
Then he managed another of his superman impressions ,and broke an ankle, so he wont be racing this year
but at least we know the salt is coming up GREAT

ledzephyrlin
WA, 101 posts
31 Jul 2013 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Nice for some. I'm going stir-crazy seeing the yacht just sitting on top of the trailer in the garage.
Contemplating rolling it down the street(hill) just for ****s and giggles.
Surely Mr SYLK will be right by October, it'd be great to see him and chook in the mini or Cl5 marathon

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
2 Aug 2013 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landyacht said..

our resident kiter SYLK got out in a big wind on Saturday and sailed on the main lake salt .
he reconed its reaally smooth and clean. got his PB with a 2.5m race kite.
Then he managed another of his superman impressions ,and broke an ankle, so he wont be racing this year
but at least we know the salt is coming up GREAT

You cant get rid of me that easy Landyacht! They said I could walk again after 8 weeks from last weekend so I might have to give it a try. + chook graciously offered to bring a spare mini, so ill be there one way or another.

Also there is now another active buggier in Kambalda who's pretty keen to try racing.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Aug 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

hows that for some new salt!!!!!! had a great day out today, new salt is so grippy it tore my front tyre off on a really big gybe!!
the rest of the club members woosed out and i had the lake to my lonesome. plan to do a BO check tonight
cracking 25+ knts all day

all felt a bit lonelybut i finally got to play with the storm sail. it was still too big for the wind today,but a great way to buff the tyres ready for september

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
4 Aug 2013 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

forgot to mention
26 degrees today, kn Tshirt weather in early August!!!!!!!! woohoo.
shouldnt get that kind of weather till the end of August

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
5 Aug 2013 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

The clay pan was closer and had a nice shiny smooth surface on top end with flakey areas on bottom end. Three wheel sildes on direction changes made for interesting sailing. Winds were 27kph gusting to 35kph. Plenty of two wheel action in my Promo and Rob's Mini.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
5 Aug 2013 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

photos or it didnt happen !!!!I want the listeners to know just how smooth clay can get

ledzephyrlin
WA, 101 posts
5 Aug 2013 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

oooooooooooohhhh noice. could you please wrap some of that up and save it for September.
Did you have a bit of soap residue on the rim Paul?, because those plakky rims are slightly larger than the steel Fallshaw rims and those can be a bugger to fit a tyre to.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
6 Aug 2013 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landyacht said..

photos or it didnt happen !!!!I want the listeners to know just how smooth clay can get

We didnt go to take foto's, we went to sail.
Besides, I'm not organised enough to have a charged camera lyin around.
Soo maybe it didnt 'appen

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
7 Aug 2013 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ledzephyrlin said..

oooooooooooohhhh noice. could you please wrap some of that up and save it for September.
Did you have a bit of soap residue on the rim Paul?, because those plakky rims are slightly larger than the steel Fallshaw rims and those can be a bugger to fit a tyre to.

no , it was a 16"x50mm wide ally carbon composite paul day special ive run it as liw as 10psi on walyungup, but on sunday it was all too grippy on a gybe. It didnt even damage the tube,just ripped the whole kit and caboodle of the rim

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
9 Aug 2013 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hope it stays that way
What happened to the bottom panel of the sail

bryan
WA, 121 posts
9 Aug 2013 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Got onto Lefroy last Monday and Wednesday, winds westerly cleared all the water to the east, smooooth salt, great couple of days sailing, flipped my blowie with my 1.8m sailon a carbon mast. Almost wore out a new set of tyres

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
9 Aug 2013 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus230 said..

Hope it stays that way
What happened to the bottom panel of the sail

the windsurfer sail wasnt long enough , so I added a panel to the foot , as you can when you have a sewing machine

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
8 Sep 2013 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just seen some pics of flooding in Kambalda, any one know how the lake is looking.

Sylk
WA, 215 posts
9 Sep 2013 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Was there yesterday, there is a bit of water about, Sunday was about 20-25kmh SW, we sailed on the 1st pond with about half of it clear. By about 3pm the wind had cleared a good space on the main lake.

So in short, cross your fingers and hope for a southerly otherwise you will be sailing on the ponds.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
9 Sep 2013 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sylk said..

Was there yesterday, there is a bit of water about, Sunday was about 20-25kmh SW, we sailed on the 1st pond with about half of it clear. By about 3pm the wind had cleared a good space on the main lake.

So in short, cross your fingers and hope for a southerly otherwise you will be sailing on the ponds.

That was the news I was hoping for, sounds like you had less rain than Kal
dont forget to bring all those great big shiny trophies back so you can try to win them again
I will be finishing the cake competition trophy this weekend

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
9 Sep 2013 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

I am going to cross my fingers and toes. Still coming any way.

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
13 Sep 2013 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

well bugger me.....i'm back, just testing computer and it seems like a charm, strong and fast like me .......... have had bad times , but now have learnt the camera and will post soon.
Was coming over for the weekend, but have bigger plan for next year. Have sent my deputy over with aust post to be observer on weekend. Its on the way landyacht! So all have a great weekend, am with you all in spirit

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
13 Sep 2013 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hell i havent wasted my time since my move, joined U3A and was learning Tia Chi for a few weeks mastered the Butterfly needed more to do so i went into Ukelele class, thought it would be good entertainment for the weekend, round the camp fire, I'm not bad if i say so myself but you wont hear my melodious voice till next year, arnt you lucky ....so be warned, with the GURUS mob at Gawler, recommend it to all for an irreverent laugh. So if you have time to spare and $30 buy a uke and join a mob, there will be one near you....what a hoot...gibba

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
13 Sep 2013 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

that was just a test and it seeems it worked, YIPPY ! haven't been able to achieve that for mths since the new format

It's chooks mate " Super Roo"

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
17 Sep 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Bit over a week to go. How is the lake holding up and what days will you guys start arriving. looking forward to it

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
17 Sep 2013 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

cranking great SW wind today so you wouldnt have been able to find the water to check the depth
Im sure there will be water ,but would have to say weve had worse years and gone to bed exhausted from too much sailing.
Meanwhile any volunteers for Coolgardie day THIS weekend would be great.
most seem to be planning a thursday night or friday morning arrival

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
17 Sep 2013 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be there but and there are 39kph winds forecast
Had a good sail on the claypan in Promo

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
17 Sep 2013 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Lighting nickel printed out a poster for the event and have put it up around Kambalda and some have been sent to Kalgoorlie to let people know about the sailing days

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
18 Sep 2013 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

Talking with a long ago resident of Kambalda [50's 60's] couple o days ago, U3A classmate, remembers well many visits to LL

happy times, may have some old photos to share. Have told her of this web site, i suspect she will have a bopeep.

The family ventured east when Nulla was still all dirt as it was when i did my first crossing...geez a bloke's getting on

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
20 Sep 2013 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Gibberjoe......... I have had very strict instructions, to announce that the cake has arrived safely in Kalgoorlie.

"Landyacht's" bride is away, so he doesn't have a computer to post on here.
Hence my message.

Out from here.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
20 Sep 2013 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking at getting to Lefroy around lunchtime Thursday 26th at this stage.

Love the poster Vic.

Really looking forward to catching up again.
Nah I'm lying, I only come for a nip, of the chocolate port.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
20 Sep 2013 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Starting to make sure everything fits, actually the class3 does not use a lot of room. no more than a class5 except for the mast(longer of course but that does not cause a problem.) I think we have to start letting people know when we are sailing we really need to grow.
Looking forward to catching up with everyone

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing   Events & Competitions

"Lake Lefroy Marathon Weekend.sept 28,29,30" started by landyacht