Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

The Smith Creek USA Worlds in 2014

Created by US772 > 9 months ago, 12 Oct 2012
US772
332 posts
12 Oct 2012 4:06AM
Thumbs Up

Due to the success of the mini class in this years Worlds in France the US plans to include the mini class at the upcoming Worlds. Would any of you consider coming to compete?

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
12 Oct 2012 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Great decision......

And for those into Mini 5.6m Land yachts have a look at the face-book site.
www.facebook.com/

IPKSA
177 posts
12 Oct 2012 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Right on ............

sabydent
360 posts
12 Oct 2012 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

I have been considering it. Do they take rookies?

desertyank
1262 posts
12 Oct 2012 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

I thought I recognized those US numbers

Love your videos and yachts....

John

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
13 Oct 2012 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

sabydent said...

You would learn more from an event like that than years sailing by yourself.

US772
332 posts
13 Oct 2012 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

sabydent said...

You bet.
To me meeting people from around the world that share your same passion is half the fun

Here is a little vid I put together to help promote the event -

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
13 Oct 2012 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Dam Dam Dam I want one of those class4. Oh well I can dream I guess

US772
332 posts
13 Oct 2012 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

desertyank said...
I thought I recognized those US numbers

Love your videos and yachts....

John

Thanks Desert Yank

- I'm building a class 2 boat for the Worlds. I'm starting construction on the wing tomorrow.

hills
SA, 1622 posts
13 Oct 2012 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

WOW!!! That looks very impressive!!

Please keep us updated on your progress.

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
13 Oct 2012 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Phil
Good to see you back where have you been.
Cheers
Vic

hills
SA, 1622 posts
13 Oct 2012 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Vic, I'm always lurking around.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
14 Oct 2012 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

What'r yu gunna do?? Launch it, Fly it Sail it or just make it look purty??
Ron

PS; Even Richard Branson (Virgin Galactic) will be envious..

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
13 Oct 2012 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

That is seriously sleek!!!!! Love it, 772

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
17 Oct 2012 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

absolute full of envy....its near enough what my dooddlings are, great EYH !

but do tell what type of timber is being used for the snout and rear axle

It's very traditional and extremly well made , by an artisan.. no doubt

US772
332 posts
17 Oct 2012 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

the wood is clear fir laminated up in thickness

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
17 Oct 2012 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

US772, language out here a bit different, so i take it that it is a Fir tree, which i think we say Fur, or more commonly a christmas type tree, are you in timber? sorry lumber over there. So how many laminates, to what thickness 50mm, i mean 2inches or better?
would you have the botanical name for tree. Did you do all the laminatin youself or got it at a lumberyard. Sorry to be an inquisitive bugger, but it is very interesting and probably there are others learning also.......

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
17 Oct 2012 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Now there is a very interesting point.

Why Fir???

Were I to have been the builder, starting from SCRATCH, I would have seriously looked at Ash/Tassie Oak or perhaps If I could have laid my hands Hickory. The weight would not of amounted to much extra in that instance.. Strong and Flexible. I would also think that there are a few others that would be highly usable, Spruce for instance (Air Craft Building Material). ????
Ron

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
17 Oct 2012 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

gibberjoe said...

US772, language out here a bit different, so i take it that it is a Fir tree, which i think we say Fur, or more commonly a christmas type tree, are you in timber? sorry lumber over there. So how many laminates, to what thickness 50mm, i mean 2inches or better?
would you have the botanical name for tree. Did you do all the laminatin youself or got it at a lumberyard. Sorry to be an inquisitive bugger, but it is very interesting and probably there are others learning also.......

could well be douglas fir( you would call it oregon pine)

aus230
WA, 1659 posts
17 Oct 2012 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Tazzy oak should do they make bows out of the stuff

VindisDad
117 posts
18 Oct 2012 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

I thought tassie oak was rather short grained & unsuitable for axles.
Some of the better axles I've made have been of tropical timber ie 'meranti'. The best of the lot was ramin (same as school rulers used to be made of) - probably the best I've ever seen, but you can't buy it now.
The tropical timbers have an almost continous grain structure.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
18 Oct 2012 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

aus230 said...
Tazzy oak should do they make bows out of the stuff

the trouble is that it becomes tassy oak when it gets to a bunning store, its a variety of eucalypt species before that, but your right, regular 19mm planks laminate well, but make sure the laminating surface is rough , not smooth, even better is Ramin, maybe a combination of tassie oak on the bottom for tension and maranti ,or even a GOOD piece of pine, NZ red pine,huon pine,king billy,or hoop pine would all surfice on top for compression

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
18 Oct 2012 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

heres the test for a good plank that I use.
when you find the plank stack, get 2 blocks about 75mm high( 1 brick) and place them on the ground at the distance your axle/spar will be. if longer than 2m perhaps go to 150mm.
place plank on blocks,stand in the middle and bounceif the plank occilates alot then its probably too springy, if it deadens straightawy or doesnt flex, too stiff, but if it springs a few times ,deadening after 1 or 2 springs ,probably just right, try it with 2 or 3 laminations for a bigger longer plank.
if the plank cracks or splinters then it was never going to be any good, so put it back in the stack. avoid knotty or split wood
when the staff ask what you are doing tell them you are testing the wood for suitability, explain the "science"and keep doing it

US772
332 posts
19 Oct 2012 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

In the US sitka spruce is the king for construction purposes. Its the lightest wood for its strength and excellent bending characteristics. Its a conifer tree (has needles) found on the NW coast and mainly in Canada and Alaska. The only problem is that it is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
I use clear fir ( also a conifer tree) because I there is a saw mill near where I live. I can buy the Fir fairly reasonable. The only thing is they only sell it in 16' / 4877 mm lengths. the last 2 boats I've made have axles 18' to 21.2' wide. I have to scarf the wood to make it longer. It take more time but I have more time than money.I laminate the axles using thickened epoxy. The 18' plank has 4 lamination's and the 21.2 has 5 lamination's of 3/4''/19mm thick stock. If I build a mini I will use wood for the axle. I heard some use snow ski's. In the iceboating world the rule of flex is 1'' of deflection/ 100lbs. 25.4mm to 45.36

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Oct 2012 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks US772. A great insight into the Axle Construction. Typical of you Yanks, very Anal when it comes to finish. Really I can't understand why the American economy is in such dire straights?? Anyone of you Northerners that is a member of this forum seems to be into competing with factories for finish More power to you, I haven't got the patients.

Miranti Yuk! I wouldn't trust that stuff, it is only suited to Architraves and trims. It gives very little warning like Carbon Fiber it either has integrity or it doesn't. I would prefer something that at least gives some warning that it is about to finish up around your Ears.

Tassie Oak.. Sure it is Ash and when properly milled has a good long straight grain. As was mentioned in a prior post, it is used Bow Making. Thanks us772 Spruce is one that I had in mind and if I am correct it was used in the making of early Wood and Canvas Aircraft.

Ron

US772
332 posts
19 Oct 2012 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yep it's used in aircraft. The Spruce Goose may be the most famous. It's also used in making musical instruments as well. I have used Poplar wood too with ash lamination's
on the out side.

Nikrum
TAS, 1972 posts
19 Oct 2012 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Ha! That Bloody thing was all Engines and very little of anything else?? Hughes wasn't it? Someone like that anyway.
Ron

sn
WA, 2775 posts
19 Oct 2012 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Wandering slightly off topic- the spruce goose being made of timber wasnt Howard Hughs choice, he wanted to use aluminium alloy, but the US govt said no- he had to use non-strategic materials.
Hughes knew it would be a tough ask to put the goose in the air- but he was never one to admit defeat easily.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Oct 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

US772 said...
In the US sitka spruce is the king for construction purposes. Its the lightest wood for its strength and excellent bending characteristics. Its a conifer tree (has needles) found on the NW coast and mainly in Canada and Alaska. The only problem is that it is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
I use clear fir ( also a conifer tree) because I there is a saw mill near where I live. I can buy the Fir fairly reasonable. The only thing is they only sell it in 16' / 4877 mm lengths. the last 2 boats I've made have axles 18' to 21.2' wide. I have to scarf the wood to make it longer. It take more time but I have more time than money.I laminate the axles using thickened epoxy. The 18' plank has 4 lamination's and the 21.2 has 5 lamination's of 3/4''/19mm thick stock. If I build a mini I will use wood for the axle. I heard some use snow ski's. In the iceboating world the rule of flex is 1'' of deflection/ 100lbs. 25.4mm to 45.36

on our minis weve been using a tassie oak plank 190mm widex19mm thick and 1200mm long .the only glassing is a 50mm wrap of tape around the ends,and around the axle where the attachments are.
the flex is just nice, it flexes without occilating

US772
332 posts
30 Oct 2012 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Some video a while back that my nephew took . -

US772
332 posts
7 Dec 2012 5:04AM
Thumbs Up

NALSA is working on logistic and a specific web page for the up coming event.

#!

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing General

"The Smith Creek USA Worlds in 2014" started by US772