Created by Stuman92 > 9 months ago, 23 Aug 2015
knight
NSW, 60 posts
23 Jul 2016 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said...
Finished the RPi nav system today.

Just needs to be mounted and load up a few more charts.

Having played with Raspberry Pis for various reasons, I've toyed with the idea of setting up a pi nav station (despite the good practice implementing the phrase that was many times drummed into me that "Chartwork is Artwork").

I'd love a bit more detail on the setup of your system if you are willing to share. I'm assuming the software is OpenCPN, but hardware I'm very interested in.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
23 Jul 2016 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
knight said...
Stuman92 said...
Finished the RPi nav system today.

Just needs to be mounted and load up a few more charts.

Having played with Raspberry Pis for various reasons, I've toyed with the idea of setting up a pi nav station (despite the good practice implementing the phrase that was many times drummed into me that "Chartwork is Artwork").

I'd love a bit more detail on the setup of your system if you are willing to share. I'm assuming the software is OpenCPN, but hardware I'm very interested in.

I'm the same nothing replaces paper charts (well ideally laminated) and common sense, I mainly built this as a fun project as I had a spare RPi.
Yes running opencpn
That's just a standard 7" tft screen
Using a ublox 7 GPS
Also added an external USB port to the case so I can mount the GPS outside the cabin.
And i have set it up with 2 wireless hand controllers.
When I have more time ill add a row of functions buttons down the side.

Let me know if you want any more detailz

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
23 Jul 2016 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Built the battery tray today.
Fits two 35amp sla nicely.

At a later date ill build it a twin for the other side.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
24 Jul 2016 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Work on the Electrics Continue.

Marine Radio is in and just mounting the RPi as well

also designed the layout for the switch box

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
27 Jul 2016 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Some Progress

RPI and switchboard fitted

Radio in

And Started putting the electrical panel together.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
30 Jul 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Well made some good progress today
Just need the switches to arrive.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
31 Jul 2016 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Well Pretty happy with today's works
Sound system installed and working
Rear and Side Navigation Lights installed
Electrical Power system and regulators all installed and working ( setup ready for solar)

Still waiting on the switches........ Come on Ebay :)

Its in need of a good clean as the hull sure is getting grubby with all the clambering over it

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
31 Jul 2016 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

This is one flash Red Witch. When you get your next bigger yacht you will have it sorted in a couple of weeks.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Aug 2016 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Cisco

I enjoy anything electrical so i usually make it "flashier" than it needs to be

we shall see how hard the sailing bug bites but could be a few years before i upgrade.
want to get as much enjoyment as possible out of all the handwork :)

Hopefully those switches arrive today, also just realized i haven't fitted a kill switch to the battery, looks like another trip to jaycar.

Any advice on what type of solar panels to get ?? brands or specific specs?
Looking to get a total of about 200w ideally. anymore and ill have to go to a bigger regulator

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
1 Aug 2016 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

I have a pair of 40w panels off eBay. 200w panels on a 20 footer might be a bit over the top.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Aug 2016 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

I'd say my expected draw will be 6ah which puts my daily draw at 144amps (I'm planning for worse case)

Which would be very close to 200watts over sat 8 hours.
I'll hopefully reduce the draw with the use of led globes and keeping the fridge on low. (I do plan on spending the weekends at rottnest island)

I was thinking a 100w panel at the rear and 2x50 watt panels placed else where.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Aug 2016 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the LG exon neons in hard panels there cell also grabs the sun from under under the cell
You would have to use a mppt as those panels are around the Thirty volt mark

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Aug 2016 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers HG will have a look.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
1 Aug 2016 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Might have to give them a miss HG
A bit out of my price range for now.
But they do look good.

The German eBay ones look good at about $1 per watt.

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
1 Aug 2016 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

I would suggest taking a look at the area you have for panels, take the measurements and buy the panels you can fit. It might be better considering a suitcase generator.

Andrew68
VIC, 407 posts
2 Aug 2016 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
I would suggest taking a look at the area you have for panels, take the measurements and buy the panels you can fit. It might be better considering a suitcase generator.

Yes agreed, I am finding it hard to allocate deck space for 200W on my 30' boat that avoids elephant crew feet and a dinghy. The alternative of 200W on rails or davits could create fine mizzen on such a small boat in strong winds. Another idea, I am considering is to have 40W permanently installed for trickle charging and another 200W+ 4WD foldouts stowed during sailing, but brought out to keep the beers cool whilst moored. Just like on a caravan.

A

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
2 Aug 2016 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Andrew68

Yeah im thinking of having a 50-100w permanently mounted off the Rails on top of the cabin with maybe a 20-30watt on the forward hatch.
With Maybe a removable panel that mounts at the rear above the outboard and tiller (also offers shade once moored)

Ill measure up the forward hatch and the Rails so see what i can tastefully fit.

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
2 Aug 2016 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..

Ramona said..

Yes agreed, I am finding it hard to allocate deck space for 200W on my 30' boat that avoids elephant crew feet and a dinghy. The alternative of 200W on rails or davits could create fine mizzen on such a small boat in strong winds. Another idea, I am considering is to have 40W permanently installed for trickle charging and another 200W+ 4WD foldouts stowed during sailing, but brought out to keep the beers cool whilst moored. Just like on a caravan.

A

I have mine each side of the pushpit mounted vertical.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
2 Aug 2016 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Ramona
I may have to borrow that idea :)

Jake888
WA, 106 posts
3 Aug 2016 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Read this entire thread over the course of the day, very impressed, obviously you don't do things in halves stuman. Just picked up a redwitch of my own last week, plan is to learn how to sail over the summer, previous owner fixed her up like yourself, fixed up the trailer, put in a new keel, carpeted all the interior, new tiller, etc I will post some pictures this weekend on here in honour of his good work.

Few things need doing, but not much:
1. Sails are terrible, there are some newer ones here http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingsley/boat-accessories-parts/performance-sails-and-rudder/1116425049 but I think this guy is dreaming a little on price. Any idea where to get good second hand sails, not trying to be too fancy, just want to learn how to sail, not doing anything competitive, although racing Stuman to rotto would be fun.

2. Need an engine, not sure what size to get, thinking of doing Rotto runs so want something capable of moving against strong currents around reefs, hoping a 10hp would do, $1400 new for a parsun from these guys www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wangara/boat-accessories-parts/parsun-40hp-2-stroke-tiller-with-electric-start/1107995702 curious to hear peoples thoughts on them though and if 10hp would be enough, again not trying to break sound barriers, want something light enough to stay out the way, powerful enough to keep me out of danger

3. New to sailing but kitesurfed for 10+ yrs, weirdly my first post on seabreeze even though I have visited the site almost daily for a decade now, anyway, booked into www.fsc.com.au/fsc-learn-to-sail/learn-to-sail-courses/keelboat-courses/ for Sepetember course, watched every video on youtube I could find, ideally would like to go out on other peoples boats and help crew, monkey see, monkey do school of teaching, but this isn't my normal social circle, anyone know a good way to break into that world?

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
4 Aug 2016 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jake888

A big thank you for taking the time to read and your comments

1. Those Sails do seem a little on the high side considering most Redwitches in poor condition sell for 2k and would have a decent set on them.
Try opening up a dialogue with them and see what you can haggle them down to, do you need a main sheet?

2. For Rotto Runs i have been told 7-9hp should be fine whilst river runs a 4.5 is plenty ( originally they only ever came with 4.5's)

3. Yeah Lessons would be highly recommended or at least going out with people who have skippered a red witch before

Cant wait to see Pictures of yours, if you need any info on them PM me as ive been collecting as much info as i can
Maybe one day once mines done we can get as many other redwitch owners as possible and have a trip to Rotto

Jake888
WA, 106 posts
4 Aug 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

My mainsheet looks like a patchwork quilt that's been washed in a urinal. Not even going to talk about the jib.

Was thinking about putting an electric trolling motor on her hooked to a couple of truck batteries with some solar panels and wind turbine. Like the idea of quiet and relying only on wind and sun to power me. Not sure if practicality would stop me. Have a look on YouTube at sailing Uma, they convert their yacht to electric, and like yourself stuman like to build things from scratch.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
5 Aug 2016 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jake888 said..
My mainsheet looks like a patchwork quilt that's been washed in a urinal. Not even going to talk about the jib.

Was thinking about putting an electric trolling motor on her hooked to a couple of truck batteries with some solar panels and wind turbine. Like the idea of quiet and relying only on wind and sun to power me. Not sure if practicality would stop me. Have a look on YouTube at sailing Uma, they convert their yacht to electric, and like yourself stuman like to build things from scratch.

Wow sounds like there in pretty poor shape, ill keep an eye out for any spares.

Yeah i looked into the trolling motor but not sure they would have the required power to really do all that much.
for a while i was looking for an old 4-5hp outboard to be able to convert to an electric outboard.
unfortunately never had the time to follow that one up but maybe one day. the biggest issue would be having enough solar to be able to recharge the batteries, i always planned on making a drag behind turbine for charging, so once your sailing you could recharge the batteries quickly.

well Made some progress last night on the electrics EXCEPT MY SWITCHES STILL HAVEN'T ARRIVED!!!!!!

ITS ALIVE!!!

Pretty Happy with the Brightness

With the Nav Lights and cabin light coming out the window the deck is actually well illuminated

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
5 Aug 2016 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Plenty of electric outboards on Alibaba.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
5 Aug 2016 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said...

Reliable source to buy from Ramona?

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
5 Aug 2016 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

OCD heaven.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
7 Aug 2016 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

All the electrics are now done!!

And the mast is up, just testing all the rigging.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
7 Aug 2016 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

That looks really great Stu!

Can't wait to see pictures of the (re)maiden

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
7 Aug 2016 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuman92 said..

Ramona said...

Reliable source to buy from Ramona?

I have had no trouble with them or any of the Chinese companies I deal with. Mostly small stuff though. Another idea is to pick up an old 2.5/3 hp outboard from the recycle shop and graft on a 12 volt DC motor, deep cycle lithium battery and your set.

Stuman92
WA, 279 posts
7 Aug 2016 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Ramona the custom graft was the way I would go.

Cheers Nebian hopefully get the trailer licenced in a week or so then get the hull inspected and registered.

Getting close!!!

Might take it to the works workshop where I can put the sails up without any wind making hard to test the ropes.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Red Witch Build" started by Stuman92