Forums > Sailing General

Tracking the Sydney to Hobart 2018

Created by ChrisD67 > 9 months ago, 24 Dec 2018
ChrisD67
NSW, 40 posts
24 Dec 2018 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone recommend a good site to live track the Sydney to Hobart this year?

Many thanks.

ChrisD67
NSW, 40 posts
24 Dec 2018 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/tracker/

Should have googled before i posted

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
24 Dec 2018 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Chris,
Here's a good option. A fellow sailor put it together I think, he does a lot of offshore races, its pretty cool for us sailors.

gis.ee/sh/

All@Sea
TAS, 232 posts
24 Dec 2018 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

shaggybaxter said..
Chris,
Here's a good option. A fellow sailor put it together I think, he does a lot of offshore races, its pretty cool for us sailors.

gis.ee/sh/

Second that.

ChrisD67
NSW, 40 posts
26 Dec 2018 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

shaggybaxter said..
Chris,

gis.ee/sh/

Mate, that is cool. Thanks.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
26 Dec 2018 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

ChrisD67 said..

shaggybaxter said..
Chris,

gis.ee/sh/

that is better than the official tracker .... but on this pc i can zoom in but not back out ...any tips ?

UncleBob
NSW, 1220 posts
26 Dec 2018 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

shaggybaxter said..
Chris,

gis.ee/sh/

Thanks, really cool!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

SandS said..

ChrisD67 said..

shaggybaxter said..
Chris,

gis.ee/sh/

that is better than the official tracker .... but on this pc i can zoom in but not back out ...any tips ?

G'day Sands,
not sure why mate, my zoom in and out is mouse wheel and it's working fine ???

Trek
NSW, 1149 posts
26 Dec 2018 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Shaggy thats a very nice tracker. One wonders why the official one is so prehistoric and they couldn't do the same. Amazing to see Comanche doing 34kts for a while too! Whats DTL? Distance to leader?

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
26 Dec 2018 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..
Thanks Shaggy thats a very nice tracker. One wonders why the official one is so prehistoric and they couldn't do the same. Amazing to see Comanche doing 34kts for a while too! Whats DTL? Distance to leader?

It's meant to be distance to leader but works by just looking at the different DTF between the leader (Comanche, with shortest DTF) and the selected boat, so not that accurate unless both yachts on the same course rhumb line.

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
26 Dec 2018 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Been comparing to Marine Traffic web site.
WO1X and Infofrack turned off ais.
www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:151.4/centery:-36.3/zoom:9

Trek
NSW, 1149 posts
26 Dec 2018 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bananabender said..

Thats right. Very tricky.. Did they have them on before?

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
26 Dec 2018 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..

Bananabender said..

Don't think so.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

That's interesting BB, I thought they had to have AIS on as part of the rules, I need to check the SI's when I get home.

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
26 Dec 2018 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
That's interesting BB, I thought they had to have AIS on as part of the rules, I need to check the SI's when I get home.

It's required equipment, does that mean it must be used?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

shaggybaxter said..

Hi FR,
yep, I could be wrong, but I thought all class B had to be on.
Anyine got the SI's handy?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..

G'day Trek,
All credit for the tracker go deservedly to a gent called forss on SA. Gem of a man, I could kiss him for showing the big boys how good a tracker can be.
Does make the official one look a bit naff doesn't it?

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

My wife knows

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

shaggybaxter said..

SandS said..

ChrisD67 said..

shaggybaxter said..
Chris,

gis.ee/sh/

G'day Sands,
not sure why mate, my zoom in and out is mouse wheel and it's working fine ???

thanks Shaggs i,m on the track pad thingo , ill try a Mouse ..

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

the mouse wheel is the go !! thanks Shaggy . Comanche looks to have better pressure ATM . the skinny boat may do better when the sth change comes though ..

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yeeha! They're in the transition zone, so :
- now is the chance for the 60's and 50's to haul the frontrunners back.
- BJ really needs to get a wriggle on and get back amongst it.
-Oats showing class yet again through the transition. Man that thing is a genuine all rounder.

Overnight will be awesome, its anyones race!

Jethrow
NSW, 1240 posts
26 Dec 2018 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..
Thanks Shaggy thats a very nice tracker. One wonders why the official one is so prehistoric and they couldn't do the same.

For the same reason that Sailor Girl wasn't allowed to do an alternative commentary today, commercial reasons...

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

For those of you following the tracker linked above, if you hover over the blue hyperlink at the bottom of the screen you can :
- Fast forward in time to see what the wind prediction looks like.
- Change to Navionics or windyty background.
- Add pressure ,cloud, rain etc. The Isobar map is always a good one to overlay!

Edit: If you advance the timer forward three hours, you can see the a narrow neck form that they're all angling for.
Really really light inshore, and a nasty wind hole a leetle further offshore, this will be a naviguessers nightmare.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

You have to love Ray Roberts, he's about 103 and he and his Botin 40 Team Hollywood are up amongst the 60'ers and the TP52's !
A million dollar 40' sled, it's awesome to watch on the water. Watch 'em for a dark horse placing, they're animals.

Gravy7
NSW, 242 posts
26 Dec 2018 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

shaggybaxter said..
You have to love Ray Roberts, he's about 103 and he and his Botin 40 Team Hollywood are up amongst the 60'ers and the TP52's !
A million dollar 40' sled, it's awesome to watch on the water. Watch 'em for a dark horse placing, they're animals.

Such a dark horse that their entry shows their Botin 40 disguised as a Farr 55 built by Cookson.
www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2018/hollywood-boulevard/
Might explain their awesome pace?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Dec 2018 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hah!
Thanks Gravy, that makes MUCH more sense.
I wish I had enough money to have one spare sail, let alone a spare 40 or 50 lying around.
Cheers!

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
27 Dec 2018 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..

Bananabender said..

We were outside yesterday and met the fleet off tamaramma. Turned around and while doing 7-8 knts got passed like we were standing still. Noticed the majority of the bigger boats didn't have there's on. Maybe not wanting real time info of their actual heading.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
27 Dec 2018 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

shaggybaxter said..

Update on the AIS?
This is taken from the sailing instructions,
Update under 11.4 Changes to SR's.
Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.
On a side note, good to see a Notice to Competitors extolling the use of personal AIS beacons, good on you CYCA.

On the racing, Commanche seems to have grown a deeper running mode in lighter airs, she's sailing out of her skin. The thing is a big 100', hasn't she nearly an extra metre draft?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
27 Dec 2018 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

I was thinking of the AIS requirement. Mebbe it is in reaction to Fish's death in the Southern Ocean?
AIS locator beacons are great, if there is an AIS transponder turned on to hear it.

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
27 Dec 2018 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

FreeRadical said..

shaggybaxter said..

Update on the AIS?
This is taken from the sailing instructions,
Update under 11.4 Changes to SR's.
Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.
On a side note, good to see a Notice to Competitors extolling the use of personal AIS beacons, good on you CYCA.

I don't understand why they would not have it turned on. If it is a requirement is there a penalty ?Obviously not. WOX1 sister ship has hers on.
Goodboy SB I see yours is on . Hell I must have better things to do .

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
27 Dec 2018 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, you'd think there'd have to be a penalty BB, no point in the rules otherwise.

Alive, the Reichel Pugh 66, are having a blinder of a race, 5th overall behind the 100 footers.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Tracking the Sydney to Hobart 2018" started by ChrisD67