shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
29 Dec 2018 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tamble said..

shaggybaxter said..
Hi Tamble,
Wings looks like they're match racing a good friend of mine at the moment in Matrix!
I see her just trucking along at the moment pegging 16knots (must be having fun on a surf!), her track looks pretty good ?
Which tracker are you using?

Both the CYC one and the Windy one at the start of this thread.
Yes, it does look like they've got the issue under control. or at least I hope so. I'm sure the person I'm following will be keen to beat a yacht which, while not nearby, is within a place or two of them.

Well, that didn't last long, she just blew past Matrix!

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
29 Dec 2018 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Well that was a sneaky way to save face although notwithstanding it makes the RC look like dumbf.... and WOX1 still cheats who got away with it. Yacht racing is no longer an 'Old Boys Sport ' and the sooner
those in charge realise it the better IMO.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
29 Dec 2018 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Leaves a bad taste doesn't it? Doesn't make you proud, but it is in line with the rules (RC can't act on an informal comment), they just got lucky that BJ didn't formally protest it or they would most likely be gone.

sitka
2 posts
29 Dec 2018 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Just been on SA for the last hour. Seriously entertaining stuff re the WOX1 debacle.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
29 Dec 2018 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

How was the protest invalid? This looks more like crap at every turn.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
29 Dec 2018 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
How was the protest invalid? This looks more like crap at every turn.

nobody filed a formal protest. In other words, the RC could not actually rule on the alleged incident.
I'm reading the bit in the rules right now, Ill upload it.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
29 Dec 2018 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

So the Committee lodged a protest when they weren't allowed to protest.
I have always disliked the racing culture in Sydney, this rubbish reinforces my dislike.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
29 Dec 2018 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

60 RIGHT TO PROTEST; RIGHT TO REQUEST REDRESS OR RULE 69 ACTION
60.1 A boat may;
--(a) protest another boat, but not for an alleged breach of a rule of Part 2 or rule 31 unless she was involved in or saw the incident; or
--(b) request redress.

60.2 A race committee may;
--(a) protest a boat, but not as a result of information arising from a request for redress or an invalid protest, or from a report from a person with a conflict of interest other than the representative of the boat herself;
--(b) request redress for a boat; or
--(c) report to the protest committee requesting action under rule 69.2(b).

60.3 A protest committee may;
--(a) protest a boat, but not as a result of information arising from a request for redress or an invalid protest, or from a report from a person with a conflict of interest other than the representative of the boat herself. However, it may protest a boat
------(1) if it learns of an incident involving her that may have resulted in injury or serious damage, or
------(2) if during the hearing of a valid protest it learns that the boat, although not a party to the hearing, was involved in the incident and may have broken a rule;

(my highlighting in bold)

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
29 Dec 2018 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
So the Committee lodged a protest when they weren't allowed to protest.
I have always disliked the racing culture in Sydney, this rubbish reinforces my dislike.

Yep, weird.

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
29 Dec 2018 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

And were supposed to believe the Protestor did not know in advance about that rule and that the protest would be dismissed !! BS.

UncleBob
NSW, 1220 posts
29 Dec 2018 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

The race seems to be becoming more irrelevant each year, perhaps channel 7 was onto it and covered it accordingly
I would think that it is time for more sailing boats (not those that require an engine running constantly), be they mono cat or tri to attempt to return it to it's roots.
Flame On.

Trek
NSW, 1149 posts
29 Dec 2018 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

That's disgraceful. I was often embarrassed by the win at all costs of our cricket team even if they need to cheat now even sailing. Wild oats got a clear unfair advantage by breaking the rules and should be disqualified.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
29 Dec 2018 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

The end result from all of this as I see it is ...
Channel 7's coverage was utter crap and likely to get worse.
WOXI is allowed to cheat and feel good about it.
Nobody had the guts to raise an official protest, lest it upset some of the big boys.
The RC knows they cheated but in order to not make anyone feel bad about it says they can't do anything about it.
Flaunting and breaking of the rules is now to be encouraged as the new normal.
The CYCA may as well stop issuing rules and holding skippers briefings if none of it means anything any way.
The S2H is purely for the enjoyment of the big money boys and everyone else can get stuffed.
While I'm at it ... I still can't stand YA.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 Dec 2018 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

69 69.1
SECTION C
MISCONDUCT
MISCONDUCT
Obligation not to Commit Misconduct; Resolution
(a) A competitor, boat owner or support person shall not commit an act of misconduct.
(b) Misconduct is:
(1) conduct that is a breach of good manners, a breach of good sportsmanship, or unethical behaviour; or
(2) conduct that may bring the sport into disrepute.
(c) An allegation of a breach of rule 69.1(a) shall be resolved in accordance with the provisions of rule 69. It shall not be grounds for a protest and rule 63.1 does not apply.
Action by a Protest Committee
(a) A protest committee acting under this rule shall have at least three members.
(b) When a protest committee, from its own observation or from information received from any source, including evidence taken during a hearing, believes a person may have broken rule 69.1(a), it shall decide whether or not to call a hearing

I wondered whether rule 69 above may have applied in this case

Regards Don

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
29 Dec 2018 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
69 69.1
SECTION C
MISCONDUCT
MISCONDUCT
Obligation not to Commit Misconduct; Resolution
(a) A competitor, boat owner or support person shall not commit an act of misconduct.
(b) Misconduct is:
(1) conduct that is a breach of good manners, a breach of good sportsmanship, or unethical behaviour; or
(2) conduct that may bring the sport into disrepute.
(c) An allegation of a breach of rule 69.1(a) shall be resolved in accordance with the provisions of rule 69. It shall not be grounds for a protest and rule 63.1 does not apply.
Action by a Protest Committee
(a) A protest committee acting under this rule shall have at least three members.
(b) When a protest committee, from its own observation or from information received from any source, including evidence taken during a hearing, believes a person may have broken rule 69.1(a), it shall decide whether or not to call a hearing

I wondered whether rule 69 above may have applied in this case

Regards Don

They knew what they were doing. The whole thing is a sham.
WOX1 ais On before the race off during and back on at Constitution.
Odds are next year no WO,no Comanche.

ChrisD67
NSW, 40 posts
29 Dec 2018 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Why is there only one boat in the cruising division?

www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/standings/?raceId=113&categoryId=511&raceTime=

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
1 Jan 2019 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Class!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Tracking the Sydney to Hobart 2018" started by ChrisD67