Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Dec 2014 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Looking great South Ace

You could fit a nice leather recliner behind the wheel and a Esky on the side < ill steer for you

Well I did a bit more primed the head area and pre drill the TMC heads mounting holes but Ill a little unsure of inlet and out let on the head never got any instructions with it it does have an direction arrow on the motor

southace
SA, 4776 posts
30 Dec 2014 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Looking great South Ace

You could fit a nice leather recliner behind the wheel and a Esky on the side < ill steer for you

Well I did a bit more primed the head area and pre drill the TMC heads mounting holes but Ill a little unsure of inlet and out let on the head never got any instructions with it it does have an direction arrow on the motor

The little plastic elbow on the front of the toilet pump is where the grey/brown/black stuff comes out.

The salt raw water comes in at the side/back?? I think...

and the hose that goes to the back of the loo is where you are suppose to put the siphon break for some reason, but I put mine in the salt raw inlet hose as i never follow instructions completely!

As for leather! , I am thinking about re-designing the upolstry to a nice soft white leather or perhaps a coloured micro suede !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Dec 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks South Ace
Icon will look nice after you put your mark on her
TMC PDF below if any one ever needs it
I just found this TMC PDF
webserver.flak.no/vbilder/06612.pdf

southace
SA, 4776 posts
30 Dec 2014 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Thanks South Ace

Oh you dont belive me how to plumb the TMC I'm offended!

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
30 Dec 2014 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Southace

A while ago you indicated you were pretty firm in saying you were looking at a newish boat such as a Jenneau DS instead of a older boat that you have now put the offer on

If you don't mind me asking was there a specific reason for the change of mind

regards Don

southace
SA, 4776 posts
30 Dec 2014 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Well Don I had actually veered away from buying a yacht and was debating about investing into a unit/apartment for a few years, so it all came as a bit of a suprise and it just seemed to fall into place at the last minute !

My requirement are rather fussy.
Aircon,washing machine,42 feet 2 cabin, lead keel, davits,strong seaworthy vessel.

After a year of searching I found most of the later model yachts where selling quick so there was not much margin to grab a bargain.
Most newer yachts where missing requirements I insisted on having on my new Vessel i was purchacing, or the option was to add the missing requirements or go without until my employment could earn me some dollars to add them after the purchase.

After viewing a few modern late models and reading the ins and outs of new production boats and then going through a failed sale of my old family boat I decided I'm just happy to sail my old family boat and everyone else's I can get my hands on!
This all changed 12 hours before I was about to fly home after spending 5 days on the slip fixing my Mates unsurveyd unsailed yacht!

Lets just say after going for a walk with the broker just for a nosey sticky beak. I FELL IN LOVE! The end.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
30 Dec 2014 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Southace

Thanks for that

Do you intend to do much work on this one like you did one your last one or will you be leaving is pretty much as it is

Regards Don

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
30 Dec 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

A very nice boat Southace, congratulations. I missed what she is.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
30 Dec 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
A very nice boat Southace, congratulations. I missed what she is.

Adams 42 not sure on the model hull and the deck is a complete rebuild.

No Don the hard work has been done thank god! Just cosmetic and upkeep.

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
30 Dec 2014 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Great choice. Joe Adams is right up there for robust ocean going boats. If you are going to Lord Howe I'll crew for you.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
30 Dec 2014 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Its on the cards via Tassie next Christmas! Is there bikini clad there or do I have to do Fiji and new cal?

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
30 Dec 2014 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Its on the cards via Tassie next Christmas! Is there bikini clad there or do I have to do Fiji and new cal?

We just returned yesterday on a 13 night cruise from both of those and it would be a nice place to have a private sailboat to cruise around on

It was a nice change being able to swim in warm water as opposed to the chilly stuff we have most of the time in Tassie but the warm humid weather reminded me of why we left Cairns where I grew up and lived for my first 30 years to find somewhere a bit less tropical

The cruise was nice and relaxing apart from the salt air shrinking all of my clothes

Southace, if you end up in Tassie and sail up the Huon to Port Huon (the best spot in Tassie but I could be biased) let me know as it would be good to catch up

Regards Don

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Dec 2014 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Well Congrats Southace looks like a gorgeous boat.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Dec 2014 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

After all this rain finally the cabin is ready for painting

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Dec 2014 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

While it was raining i started work re-routing the mess of hoses and electrical cables under the floor

southace
SA, 4776 posts
31 Dec 2014 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Holy smoke What is that massive black hose? Jet unit for propulsion? Raw water Exhaust outlet??

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
31 Dec 2014 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Holy smoke What is that massive black hose? Jet unit for propulsion? Raw water Exhaust outlet??

ha ha that the exhaust, raw water.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2014 2:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

HG02 said..
Thanks South Ace

Oh you dont belive me how to plumb the TMC I'm offended!

Ha Ha you were right but the PDF has a few good diagrams on the hose set up

Lots to do in there yet

I still have to sand back and cut and polish the smooth also still have to paint forward from the cabin front and a lot of tedious bits and pieces
ll make a new Lexan hatch cover maybe with a slight tint while its all apart .
Ill give my marina neighbors a spell tomorrow and start on the hatch cover which is at home here.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2014 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
After all this rain finally the cabin is ready for painting

Hulls looking Sweet Andy

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2014 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Chased spider cracks and edge chipping today and also started making a instrument pod to fit into where the main sheet track was. I'm moving that forward slightly on a stainless steel mounting

the main sheet track has four of the above bolts these two are less bent than the other two and were misaligned going through the cabin roof .

The main sheet track is a RostanI beam 32 and its bent like a boomerang and also has a side bend in it . Ill replace it or press it straight again if I can
I just don't want to refit this so its not happening. Ill make a stronger one. main sheet track
Much the same as thins idea below

Its mounted directly through the cabin roof not like the original on my boat

Instrument pod the begining

engine gages and start stop and some Raymarine I 50's ,if I can fit some speakers I will That fits into the old main sheet track area on the hatch cover.
Once its made it will be either trash or treasure see how it turns out
Notice the special tools I am using

southace
SA, 4776 posts
31 Dec 2014 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

I like the set up for the main sheet. You don't have to put your instruments where your talking about It's not all about watching instruments ahead it's just a luxury .

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2014 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
I like the set up for the main sheet. You don't have to put your instruments where your talking about It's not all about watching instruments ahead it's just a luxury .

See how it turns out S.A.

On another note
When I removed the acrylic sliding hatch I noticed it had only a full set of scews holding it down on the left hand side facing the bow the other side had only two screws right at the back nothing in the front at all not even a drilled hole or mark on the old gel coat so three screws never fitted up front

Who ever made the acrylic hatch the last time ( might be original) made the slider mounting holesa to far apart so they screws holding it down at the front on the ribs could not be fitted and no correction was done
Im making a new Lexan hatch probably with a slight tint and hopefully wont make the same mistake as the last person

southace
SA, 4776 posts
31 Dec 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Did you watch the olive oil video I posted aboat auto pilots and poms?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Dec 2014 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Did you watch the olive oil video I posted aboat auto pilots and poms?

not yet but I'm on my way right now

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
1 Jan 2015 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

That is an interesting position you have chosen to locate the head HG.

I am a similar age to you so I can understand the necessity of a well positioned head. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

You ARE going to fully enclose the head aren't you??? If not it will be a tad embarrassing when you have guests aboard won't it???????

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Jan 2015 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thought I could multi task Cisco
Flip my eggs brew a coffee while using the head plus take off my wet weather gear
I'll fit up the head walls when I've put the floor in this month

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
1 Jan 2015 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

HG02 said..
Thought I could multi task Cisco
Flip my eggs brew a coffee while using the head plus take off my wet weather gear
I'll fit up the head walls when I've put the floor in this mont

I am sure you could fit posting to Seabreeze into that too, a man of your skills.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Jan 2015 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

I perhaps should have added this many years ago my Walker H28 was collected by a sail boat that had lost its mooring and as it came past my boat it caught the Mizzen and pulled it down thats about all I know . So I would believe the main sheet track was probably damaged then also the retaining bolts I dont think there is a design fault just what has happen to my boat

This damage on the main mast I would say was caused by the incident which I'm still chewing the fat over on how to repair it

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Jan 2015 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Instrument cover so far

Once I get the top epoxied in place today and trim the sides. Ill take it down to the boat along with the hatch cover and see if its trash or treasure
Some one kindly gave me some fiber glass from a recycle bin at a boat building yard

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
1 Jan 2015 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Instrument cover so far

Once I get the top epoxied in place today and trim the sides. Ill take it down to the boat along with the hatch cover and see if its trash or treasure
Some one kindly gave me some fiber glass from a recycle bin at a boat building yard

Looks good HG, Do you plan on doing a deck penetration for cables ?or can you get away with the hanging down in companionway?

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin