Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
r13
NSW, 1531 posts
18 Aug 2024 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats. Serious asymm kite prodder and anchor off the bow fitting. What is the yachts model and manufacturer?

Woohoo
QLD, 86 posts
18 Aug 2024 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..
Congrats. Serious asymm kite prodder and anchor off the bow fitting. What is the yachts model and manufacturer?

Thanks .

Jarkan 10.5

Kankama
NSW, 671 posts
18 Aug 2024 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Gday Woohoo - I would seriously worry about that prodder. Congrats on the new boat and Jarkans are nice but that prodder is very agricultural and will bend or break under any serious load. The PO must have used it only in the lightest of winds.

Also I don't like the way the anchor roller sticks out so far. That could cause issues in a choppy anchorage.

It looks to me like the PO got a bit silly with the desire to fly a Code zero and played around with the roller to fit it. My advice would be to get the anchor roller back closer to the bow and start the prodder idea from scratch. I have "designed" and built a couple of prodders. They can be great but they can get some serious loads on them.

Not meaning to be a killjoy but the roller/prodder will almost certainly cause issues and that would be bad. Good luck with the new boat.

Phil

Woohoo
QLD, 86 posts
19 Aug 2024 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kankama said..
Gday Woohoo - I would seriously worry about that prodder. Congrats on the new boat and Jarkans are nice but that prodder is very agricultural and will bend or break under any serious load. The PO must have used it only in the lightest of winds.

Also I don't like the way the anchor roller sticks out so far. That could cause issues in a choppy anchorage.

It looks to me like the PO got a bit silly with the desire to fly a Code zero and played around with the roller to fit it. My advice would be to get the anchor roller back closer to the bow and start the prodder idea from scratch. I have "designed" and built a couple of prodders. They can be great but they can get some serious loads on them.

Not meaning to be a killjoy but the roller/prodder will almost certainly cause issues and that would be bad. Good luck with the new boat.

Phil

Thanks Phil.
All advice considered.
Yeah ...she has good bones, however, there is a long list of improvements to be made.
PO is a very blase bloke with an overdeveloped attitude of she'll be right.

The prodder is being removed definitely.

What would you advise about the anchor roller?
This one actually appealed as my previous boat had a more plumb bow and wind against tide always left me with scuffs and bits out of the stem. I thought this might be an improvement?

Btw, new Manson Supreme is already ordered.

Kankama
NSW, 671 posts
19 Aug 2024 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

My thoughts on the roller were that it sticks a long way out the front and is unsupported for most of that length. In a seaway you will get serious downward acting forces on the roller. I can't see how the roller will resist those forces. Getting the whole roller back closer to the bow will help, reducing ovehang and increasing roller engagement with the deck will help. The roller itself does not look dodgy, just how far it is sticking out is the worry. Somehow the torque produced by the roller with the boat pitching up in a rock anchorage will have to resisted by the amount of roller connected to the deck. I would always want much more roller in contact with the deck than hanging out over the front to get the loads down on the deck.

As for scuffs - a good cruising boat has a raked bow - or a bowsprit, so hopefully the amount of rake will keep the bow nicer.

Actually - maybe the PO wanted to put a roll bar anchor on and pushed the roller out forwards to do this. The Supreme may not fit on the roller when in the normal position. Some mono sailors get the Sarca Excel instead so they don't need the roll bar. Maybe ask for the Manson to be put on hold until after you move the roller, or it may not fit when you get the roller nice and strong and back closer to the bow.

cheers

Phil

Ramona
NSW, 7570 posts
19 Aug 2024 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

I actually think the bow roller is fine if your going on a conventional mooring in an area where you have strong wind over tide conditions. Making a garden ornament out of the CQR is a wise move. I would also suggest hauling the Manson Supreme well clear of the bow roller so it does not wear through the riser when on the mooring. The outer end of the bow roller might need some smoothing as well to keep the boat on the mooring in gale force winds and wind over tide. I welded a SS loop on the end of my bow roller to take the tack line for the cruising chute back to the cockpit
This is my bow and it shows how I extended the roller out, not as much as yours but it makes the boat hang off the mooring better. the side anchor roller is a South Australian thing and I must admit it's excellent. In my mooring field most of the boats come off their moorings from abrasion from the outer edge of the roller. The edge of the bow-mounted anchor or the front fairlead, Especially if the boat hangs off one fairlead. Boats that have twin risers to fairleads on either side tend to "sail up" and hook the riser around the keel till the riser wears through. Extending the bow roller a bit solves all these problems.

garymalmgren
1161 posts
19 Aug 2024 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

If the OP was a bit "blase" with his ali pipe, how do I rate?
This is a very light genniker so I am limited to using it.
gary

Woohoo
QLD, 86 posts
19 Aug 2024 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Phil and Graham

Will put the brakes on for a while until I think this through.

I'll have plenty of time while I'm cleaning her thoroughly.....diesel and toilet smells and so much mould and mildew ....yuk!

Planter
NSW, 46 posts
19 Aug 2024 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
garymalmgren said..
If the OP was a bit "blase" with his ali pipe, how do I rate?
This is a very light genniker so I am limited to using it.
gary

?

Bestest ! more than sewerpipe ? as looks to have decent wall thickness + strengthen with end caps ?
Mason

Planter
NSW, 46 posts
19 Aug 2024 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woohoo said..
Thanks Phil and Graham

I'll have plenty of time while I'm cleaning her thoroughly.....diesel and toilet smells and so much mould and mildew ....yuk!

Persistent Pongs can linger,especially if have got into the fabric. Remove and wash,with Vanish/PineOClean sanitiser,then dry in the sun .

Bosistos is a good neutaliser,but ventilation the key - Installed Hurricane vents (whitworths) in forehatch/cabin top,which creates a flow of air,allowing sails to be kept in the forecabin . Admittedly not a large space,and no diesel,but was green/gross/gagging,and now almost habitable !

+ Big hanging bags of moisture absorber/damprid from Big Green Shed,are good value,and will last a month,if strategically placed .
Mason

Kankama
NSW, 671 posts
19 Aug 2024 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

So when I design my prodders and other bits on my cat, I have to work out where the the whole system will break. For most boats it is not the structure so that means the shackle or halyard in the case of flying a Code zero. I do this all the time when designing chainplates or beams or anything - make the bit bonded to the boat stronger than the rope or wire it is attached to.

8mm spectra breaks at about 3.3 tonnes. So if a prodder is not going to break (and it shouldn't) then the prodder should be able to take about 4 tonnes upward force at its end. This does not give much margin for error.

I reckon Woohoo's new prodder is about 40cm out from the bow and has a bury of about 20cm. The prodder will rotate lets say clockwise from the bow and the part on the bow resists that torque by producing a torque in the opposite direction. Basically after some calculations you get a lifting force of about 7 tonnes on the forward bolt (if the prodder rotates on the aft bolt). That is a lot of force/torque.

Now there is no way that load will be able to be applied. The round tube looks like about 50mm diameter with about 4 mm thickness. It will fail as a cantilever at much less than the 7 tonnes load.

Ramona
NSW, 7570 posts
20 Aug 2024 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Woohoo said..
Thanks Phil and Graham

The ALDI hospital grade cleaner disinfectant works well. After a couple of days spray the areas where the mildew was with cloves mixed with water. Just a couple of drops of cloves is ample and that actually kills the spores. It's very dangerous to breath the fumes so spray a small area holding your breath then depart for the upper-deck! I leave a spray bottle onboard now for those small patches I missed earlier. My boat has excellent ventilation but that does not seem to matter that much if you have a lot of rain for a few days.

Woohoo
QLD, 86 posts
20 Aug 2024 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Planter said..

Woohoo said..
Thanks Phil and Graham

Persistent Pongs can linger,especially if have got into the fabric. Remove and wash,with Vanish/PineOClean sanitiser,then dry in the sun .

Bosistos is a good neutaliser,but ventilation the key - Installed Hurricane vents (whitworths) in forehatch/cabin top,which creates a flow of air,allowing sails to be kept in the forecabin . Admittedly not a large space,and no diesel,but was green/gross/gagging,and now almost habitable !

+ Big hanging bags of moisture absorber/damprid from Big Green Shed,are good value,and will last a month,if strategically placed .
Mason

Thanks so much Mason for the tips.
I'll look at the Hurricane vents you've mentioned.

Yeah, has definitely penetrated the bunk cushions so they'll need a good clean and airing. Failing that, I'll make new ones.

I agree that ventilation is the key. My old boat had far better ventilation and never smelled bad. However...I was living aboard so it was usually open with lots of fresh air circulating.

It'll be a process making this boat habitable, but I'll get there in time.

Once again, thank you.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin