Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
28 Apr 2016 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

The only problem I see with these is when you go up the mast at sea and the yacht is heeled you would loose your footing, I would use the triangular ones that would be my personal opinion. But if you use these in an anchorage they are fine and less obtrusive.

All the best.

Anthony

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Apr 2016 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be using them at anchor
I'm to old to be climbing masts out at sea

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
28 Apr 2016 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Finally finished the 20 mast steps this morning I think Ill be using Nyalic

Hi there, On my main mast there are 12 of identical steps. If you do not fancy ratling noise created by those, solution is to stick some rubbery product to elimminate ratling. I done it with 6mm self add squers. Rubber is pressed to locked position. No ratle since. ATB.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
29 Apr 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted my morse engine control

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
30 Apr 2016 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
I'll be using them at anchor
I'm to old to be climbing masts out at sea

Hi HG

It doesn't look that hard

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 May 2016 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Knowing my luck Donk Id end up on the bow rail

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
1 May 2016 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Pelican Bob on the slip this weekend. FishMonkey and I (we are now happy co-owners) and a mate with many yachts under his belt got stuck into the old AF and primer levels. A mix of close high pressure washer (3000psi), pull scrapers and sanding (oh, and a bit of incidental hydrochloric) got us back down to a mix of gelcoat and primer that wouldn't easily budge. Hard yakka but good to do. Primer on yesterday arvo. Soft AF today.

weirdest thing; starboard side was at least 50% more difficult to remove.

Sorry about the sideways pics - gotta run.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
1 May 2016 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

andy59 said..

I have one the same. Not the best around but fairly common. It needs regular spraying with WD40 or similar, particularly the button below.

The chrome on the handle will fall off and the handle will snap in half one day. Considering your forthcoming adventure I highly recommend you remove the handle and reproduce it in stainless.

One of these or similar is worth a place in your spares locker.

www.whitworths.com.au/chrome-plated-brass-engine-control

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
4 May 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

All 12 square meters glassed and faired.

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
4 May 2016 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Very impressed Parkster, great job!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
4 May 2016 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

top job parkster !!!!! good idea to convert her to a plastic yacht !!!! sensible !!

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
4 May 2016 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

What! , the sun's been shining in Hobart while we've been coping a wintry blast! Nice work Parkster!

ChopesBro
351 posts
6 May 2016 2:21AM
Thumbs Up

Wow....some impressive projects people have on the go

I've now taken my hatch cover to the logical next level of my design and turned it into a open box type of arrangement. The next and final part of this small job will be to fit a tight tarp over it.

Its all about space....and having a nice big flat surface near the cockpit where I can throw stuff and it won't easily roll off and become as one with the sth Pacific should be very handy

I'll figure how to post pictures one day

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
6 May 2016 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

ChopesBro said..

I'll figure how to post pictures one day

Open an account at photobucket:
www.photobucket.com

upload your pic. When uploaded, click on the pic and it will open up in this page:
[URL= .html]

....then click in the box opposite IMG
That will copy the link, then simply paste the link in the seabreeze post

ChopesBro
351 posts
6 May 2016 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Testing

[URL=imageshack.com/f/pnAJ3C26j] [/URL]

Woohoo thank you! Everyone else will curse you once I bore them to death with My crappy photos

P.s obviously today we had a tidy up below decks...yes...I know..its still a mess but it was a lot worse

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
6 May 2016 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

I'm missing something here, why do I need to open a photobucket account (or any image file hosting site) in order to put a pic up in here? Why not just load it directly from your hard drive?

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
7 May 2016 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

cisco said..

andy59 said..

I have one the same. Not the best around but fairly common. It needs regular spraying with WD40 or similar, particularly the button below.

The chrome on the handle will fall off and the handle will snap in half one day. Considering your forthcoming adventure I highly recommend you remove the handle and reproduce it in stainless.

One of these or similar is worth a place in your spares locker.

www.whitworths.com.au/chrome-plated-brass-engine-control

Thanks Cisco I'm onto that.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
7 May 2016 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Fitted and glued the aft section of the cockpit floor ready for a layer of 600gm tomorrow

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
7 May 2016 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Every component of the exhaust was a perfect fit for 45mm hose except the through hull which was 50mm. There was no way it was going on so it was off to the engineers to fit a 45mm inside the 50mm seems like it will work

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
7 May 2016 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Cut flogged out timber out of bow stem where bob stay plate bolted had sheared up bow stem (had sheared upwards 20mm). Fitted new piece of Jarrah in.

i

mg]

ChopesBro
351 posts
7 May 2016 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

My little project-

Started off as just a new hatch....but I made it extra wide. Liked it so added sides....just needs a bit of tarp over it now.
Maybe not so pretty but its great place to stow gear

ChopesBro
351 posts
8 May 2016 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Well if its true poverty breeds character. ..than chopes and bro is full of character

Needed to replace the old deck rails/ stanchions.

Couldn't afford ( let alone source) anything out of stainless steel or aluminum soooo

Pvc pipe won't rust either. ..will it

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
8 May 2016 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

ChopesBro said..
Well if its true poverty breeds character. ..than chopes and bro is full of character

Needed to replace the old deck rails/ stanchions.

Couldn't afford ( let alone source) anything out of stainless steel or aluminum soooo

Pvc pipe won't rust either. ..will it

Interesting idea Chops

Do you see any disadvantages in using pvc ?

Regards Don

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
8 May 2016 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing wrong with pvc Don as long as you don't intend for it to keep you from falling over. Paint it with chrome bright will look just like polished stainless.

Agent nods
622 posts
8 May 2016 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Knowing how hard it is to find the right nautical materials in the South Pacific. I would assume that fore and aft there is still a substantial stanchions? I would tension a stainless (or gal wire) through the top tube, this would make it a lot more secure.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
8 May 2016 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

NIce work Chopes

ChopesBro
351 posts
10 May 2016 3:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said...

Do you see any disadvantages in using pvc ?

Regards Don

Strength. ..or lack of is the disadvantage. This is somewhat over come by reinforcing the pipes with bamboo wedged inside and running the remaining cable I have at half height around.

Its not something I would trust my life at sea with. ..but its certainly better than nothing

Saw a cat recently and the French bloke had made his with stainless towel rails he procured from a resort being pulled down.
It looked really good

Where there is a will you can find away

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
10 May 2016 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Cockpit floor corners coved and undercoated

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 May 2016 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

good stuff Andy

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
10 May 2016 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

nice work Andy
can you advise how your cockpit drains work?
i am a little troubled by the drains on my cavalier;4 2inch drains into 2 3 inch hoses just below waterline either side.
seacocks of course but left open
not sure if they can drain cockpit fast enough

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin