Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
10 May 2016 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

HI Scaramouche
To be honest I have just stayed with the drainage system that was in the boat. John Sanders David Dicks and Jesse Martin all used the standard 2 inch drains exiting below the water line without any complaints. Jessica Watson went for outlets through the transom which gave her trouble.
I guess more drains would drain faster but I only have 2 inch through hull fittings so I would need to add more to take advantage of the extra drains.

Jolene
WA, 1565 posts
11 May 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work Andy, It always makes me wonder why the cockpit drains weren't positioned forward to the lowest part of the cockpit ?
It would be interesting to know if the water level in the cockpit drains falls or rises when underway. There might be a bit of a venturi effect happening there increasing the capacity of the drain, although I have never heard one gurgling.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
13 May 2016 2:46AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again for the tiller fitting mate. I have never noticed my drains gurgling but logically there must be some sort of venturi effect when the boat is under way.

Jolene
WA, 1565 posts
13 May 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

No worries, I was glad I could help. If you need any help or insider info with the keel, sing out!

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
13 May 2016 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted new bob stay plate.

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
14 May 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Spent the week giving the boat a bum clean & 14 lts of anti foul, new depth transducer, cut & polish, scrub the decks AND finally got the sails on!! :)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 May 2016 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

That was Monday what did you do the rest of the week Lazza

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 May 2016 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

etched primed the mast steps
ill source some nutcerts with aluminium crimp and stainless thread
ill add a snall amount of fix tech where the two parts hook on to each other so they dont rattle when sailing

ChopesBro
350 posts
14 May 2016 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

I love seeing what everyone has been up to.

Truly, imo, the only way you can own a yacht is if you enjoy the associated maintenance .

I've"sourced" some surplus French navy tarps...

In classic French arm forces style...they are in brilliant white
( jokes)

The better looking part of chopes and bro is cutting and sewing as we speak. ..sometime this week. ...we will finally have shade and it will look ( hopefully) quite decent. ..pictures to follow

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
14 May 2016 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Lazza. Those steps look kind of surreal HG
Finally got around to fitting my Fleming windvane today

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
15 May 2016 3:09AM
Thumbs Up

You are going to fall in love with the Flemming Andy. You may regard it as the best investment in the yacht one day.

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
15 May 2016 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

You are going to fall in love with the Flemming Andy. You may regard it as the best investment in the yacht one day.

Yep, I agree Cisco. Although mine is a Monitor, it's the best thing since sliced bread.
regards,
allan

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 May 2016 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

etched primed the mast steps
ill source some nutcerts with aluminium crimp and stainless thread
ill add a snall amount of fix tech where the two parts hook on to each other so they dont rattle when sailing

a before and after photo

By my measurement I think the step spacing on the mast will be around 380mm and finishing around 1.2 meters from the mast head
Thanks Scaramouche

southace
SA, 4762 posts
15 May 2016 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Should paint them gold Ho2

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
15 May 2016 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Work of art!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
15 May 2016 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Datawiz said..

cisco said..

Yep, I agree Cisco. Although mine is a Monitor, it's the best thing since sliced bread.
regards,
allan

Well I can't wait to try it out!!!!

EC31
NSW, 490 posts
17 May 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

HG, from the photos, the mast steps seem to have come up very nicely. I have a similar project to do on a rudder stock for a dinghy. What brand of etch primer did you use? Brushed or sprayed?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2016 5:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EC31 said..

HG, from the photos, the mast steps seem to have come up very nicely. I have a similar project to do on a rudder stock for a dinghy. What brand of etch primer did you use? Brushed or sprayed?

I used Kill rust etched primer and kill rust epoxy white. used a tin of each then a light second coat of kill rust from a pressure pack can to remove the brush strokes. I wish Id done that on my masts instead of brush only.
You can stil buy it at masters and super cheap auto
Kill Rust
Why you might ask well a USA based paint company want to take over the that part of the market and have bunnings in there pocket and Bunnings have removed kill rust off there self.

I like a free market with a consumer choice and very slowly we the public are loosing our choices
50 years ago the local councils were there to serve and service the public not now they serve themselves as an example
To me there like a cancer
The Australian Dream 50 years ago owning your own house
Slowly a young couples dream of owning there own house is slipping away.
There not user friendly any more
I am wondering where the local councils will bring in "wind rates"

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
18 May 2016 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Killrust is a great product. Home Hardware sell it and they are in the same buying group as Masters.

I think Killrust heavy duty primer is a similar product to International PA 10 which is an excellent primer for aluminium. Both products clean up with metho. If using either in a confined space be sure to wear a proper respirator mask.

Now that you have got the steps prepared HG you will have to be very careful where you place them and the spacing between them.

I assume you will place two opposite each other at the top positioned to get you mostly above the mast head for a good working position.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 May 2016 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Andy was good enough to send his old pedestal down so Ive started on it fitted the helm unit and reduced its foot print to suit my needs and then stripped the gel coat off and added layers of mat and epoxy to give it bit more strength . Ive only epoxied the two side ( originally front and back)so far Ill start on the front and back during the week

it will roughly look some thing like below maybe with out the engine panel I think I've found a better solution for the gauges

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
24 May 2016 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

That's going to end up looking fantastic HG.
Here's a pic of my completed cockpit floor. of course now I have to paint the rest of the cockpit

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 May 2016 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

Phil From Fleming Marine welded up my tiller to cylinder mount worked out ok Ill cleaning it up over the coming weeks

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2517 posts
26 May 2016 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
Phil From Fleming Marine welded up my tiller to cylinder mount worked out ok Ill cleaning it up over the coming weeks

That looks tough as nails HG. I love working with metal, when it is done well like this I find myself wasting time by sitting and just looking at it. I think I get some deep seated kick just enjoying the engineering of it.

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
26 May 2016 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Top finished re launched ready to replace vents and grab rails.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 May 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

The small hole is for the throttle gear shift the larger one is to fit the helm unit into the pedestal I probably make a instrument pod mounted over that opening
The sides have had some epoxy and matt the front back next

southace
SA, 4762 posts
26 May 2016 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Parkster
Your yacht is very simular to the one on Gourmet Farmer tonight on SBS love that have done the dundelly Chanel and received the bucket for a tip of beers!

jdol
NSW, 27 posts
28 May 2016 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

I'm working on replacing the crazed and leaky windows of my folkie.. Just hoping for some advice on the best way to reunite the delamination between outer and inner fibreglass layers of the cabin.

Clamps are at the ready but am stuck wondering if epoxy glue might run too thin as gap is ~5 to 10mm.. Would an epoxy putty have a similar holding strength?

Thanks for any advice!

Crusoe
QLD, 1192 posts
28 May 2016 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the downloads on the west system web site. Link below.

There shouldn't be a problem mixing some filler in the resin until it is like peanut paste consistency. You should try and sand the surface to be glued, then wet down with unthickened resin, then apply the paste. Be warned, the thicken resin goes off very quickly. When clamping, I wrap my timber pieces ( that are used in the clamping process) in glad wrap to stop the resin sticking to them. And I also tape areas I don't want the resin to go as it ouses out.

http://westsystemcom1.site.mobi/site/ss/use-guides/?smallView=1

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 May 2016 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

I've yet to make a cover for the helm opening which is also need to fit the hydraulic lines . When I make it it will also mount my removable instrument pod on the cover. I am in the middle of making a cover for the front of the helm unit also where it mounts onto the pedestal
Filling and sand over the coming week

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
29 May 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Looks brilliant Parkster
That pedestal will be unrecognisable HG
Here's a pic of Llasso from Turtlepac calculating how many buoyancy bags I need and where they should go.
They're not cheap but knowing you can inflate them in 45 seconds should the worst happen is great peace of mind

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin