Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jun 2016 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted a couple of new olives to the fuel line then went through the process of trying to bleed the air out of the stove lines and spilt a bit of kero onto the pre heat wick so that's smoking Ihave not decided yet which method of starting Ill go with yet but the very least I think the pre heat wicks will be removed as the meths can just go into the pre heat cup

The burners got a bit sooty when I was running the kero through the system

There settling down Ill run it for a hour or so

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jun 2016 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Started fitting the mast steps after finish one side found my box of monel rivets had been tampered with before I bought them so I cant finis this job now till I buy some more , hate that

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jun 2016 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

second power up much quicker and cleaner . I removed the pre heat wicks and just poured a cap full of meths onto the pre heat cup far cleaner way to doing it.
When I first power it up I used Australian paraffin to help clean out the fuel lines and some of this leaked onto the preheat wicks so when using them after that they smoked so I removed them and just using a cap of meths is good enough to vaporize the bunnings low odor kero and a easy light up to kero I'm happy.
I think after sitting around for about 8 years this stove will be ok after much more use and appear to start easy . After using the Tank Phil gave me Ill modify mine as per his later model simplify my tank outlets and still use my remote air pump

southace
SA, 4771 posts
25 Jun 2016 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Come on h2o I'm waiting for the leg of lamb pics!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jun 2016 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Come on h2o I'm waiting for the leg of lamb pics!

this coming week south ace promise Greek style
Just thank god it worked after spending all that money and time
Hard to get info on the stove have to work it out yourself really
As mine was an older model it has tank feature the new tanks don't have and after setting up Phils tank I can sort out my original
I pump up the air pressure to around 22 psi and lasts for ages but if you were away from the boat its recommended to release the air pressure Phils tank works fine but as the air pump is built into the fuel tank it could be hard to use so Ill sort my tank out with its remote air pump ita a larger capacity so should pump the tank up quicker also from zero

southace
SA, 4771 posts
25 Jun 2016 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah my last yacht came with one and a bicycle pump I thought what the ! And threw the whole thing into the skip bin!
only since watching your posts I realised how it worked and what it was! Haha

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jun 2016 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Yeah my last yacht came with one and a bicycle pump I thought what the ! And threw the whole thing into the skip bin!
only since watching your posts I realised how it worked and what it was! Haha

cut though the video as you go its a but long and dark
Its needs a good run to get all the old crud and kero out of the lines . I used the paraffin oil ( australian ) to help clean the varnish out of the fuel lines so it flares up plus I was tweaking the knobs as well in the vid now on kero clear low odur

Its a definite learning curve

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

You might need one of this one:

Besides, how come you use the most dangerous method of cooking on your pride and joy known to a yachtie?
l would not tolerate a liquid fuel stove on my boat for a minute as l nearly got badly burned by one.
But...just be super careful!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Its on my list sirgallivant
After the second power up I removed the pre heat wicks and now pour in a cap full of meths into their pre heat cups and light that and when that goes out I light my burners with a air pressure around 20 psi in the fuel tank . So far it seems to take at least an hour before I need to pump any more air into the tank .
If the tank needed to be pumped up to 20 psi from zero air pressure it tank a few minuets to do but other than leaving the boat for a couple of days when m living on her, I leave the air pressure in the fuel tank I need to buy a fuel tap which will be placed near the stove.
Taylor recomend the what you have in the photo these days and Ill be adding one to the boat.
Before I powered up the stove I flush it with paraffin oil which supposedly has a cleaning effect this went all over the pre heat wicks and also in the pre heat cups so it need to burn out there still some residue in there but its self cleaning it will burn off .
Phil from Fleming ran out of meths in the atlantic and used Rum to pre heat the burners
So far Ive just put some meths into a bottle cap and poured that into the pre heat cups sort of gives you a average amount but Ill find a smaller bottle cap to day as I don't think I need so much meths to pre heat 20 ml comes to mind

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
26 Jun 2016 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, but p r e s s u r i z e d liquid fuel i n s i d e a boat? Are you sure?
The idea just gets my hair rising on my back. It can work like a bloody bomb.
Gas might not be everybody's cup of tea but a well built and regularly serviced gas appliance with the cylinder in a separate gas locker like mine would be much much safer imo.

How on earth one could light that stove on a rising swell safely is beyond me.
It would be a shame to regret ones decision too late.

Did not the small flare up scare the wits out of you?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Its only 20 psi in a container made to withstand that pressure. Id much rather have kero on a boat that Gas even you blow torch make me think twice to be honest
Ive witness what gas can do when it ignites you try and light kero see how you go without it being vaporized.
8 lites would last me over 6 months so I don't need to visit a marina to top up a gas bottle.
pouring a tablespoon size meths into a pre heat cup it quite manageable compared to gas explosion its all choices but I'm happy with my choice

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
Yeah, but p r e s s u r i z e d liquid fuel i n s i d e a boat? Are you sure?
The idea just gets my hair rising on my back. It can work like a bloody bomb.
Gas might not be everybody's cup of tea but a well built and regularly serviced gas appliance with the cylinder in a separate gas locker like mine would be much much safer imo.

How on earth one could light that stove on a rising swell safely is beyond me.
It would be a shame to regret ones decision too late.

Did not the small flare up scare the wits out of you?

The small flare ups will go away there there because I'm still flushing the fuel line system this old stove has been in a shipping container for over 8 years then add two more years sitting here . To be able to use kero in this stove it has to be heated so it vaporized so it burns a flame to pre light the stove a 20ml of meths even rum to light and pre heat one liter of meths tucked away in a safe storage area should be safe for me anyway.
Its all choices what suits you Im happy
Also notice the stove when working had a cast iron top which can contain a flash fire and Ive also fitted it into a stainless compartment in the boat

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
26 Jun 2016 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, it works on the same principle as this Primus which l use while camping.
Works with all ignitable liquids. Diesel sludge and vodka included.
I am just a gas man.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Wont be in my life but one day you marine head will convert the raw material into natural gas to power you stove

southace
SA, 4771 posts
26 Jun 2016 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

It looks awesome Ho2 can't wait to see the leg of lamb! Mine is cooking away as we speak woolies had them for $15 bucks!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
It looks awesome Ho2 can't wait to see the leg of lamb! Mine is cooking away as we speak woolies had them for $15 bucks!

it will be marinated in Kero just for you S.A.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

I stubbed my toe on this wheel the other day had it for well over ten years sitting around said to it right your comeing to work and Ill bore and key to an 1 inch so it could be my gymkhana wheel for Driftwood
Wheel option two

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jun 2016 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
Yeah, it works on the same principle as this Primus which l use while camping.
Works with all ignitable liquids. Diesel sludge and vodka included.
I am just a gas man.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jun 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

four coats of primer on now a sand and next week Ill flow on a final coat

Powered up the Taylor the other night and did a stir fry

southace
SA, 4771 posts
29 Jun 2016 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Still waiting for the lamb leg ho2

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jun 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Still waiting for the lamb leg ho2

Im saving for rigging fittings here South Ace it might not make the budget this week lamb next week. I did do a prawn stir fry tonight on the taylor

southace
SA, 4771 posts
29 Jun 2016 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

I had left over lamb leg $15 bucks at woollies on speciaL from Sunday night.....microwaved the lamb and made a nice mash last night With gravey! Tonight it's French oinion and apricot chicken chops slowely roasted!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Jul 2016 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

more offering to the god of wind

Four T balls and its wire and swag time
Its been two years this month for Driftwood being naked NO sticks in the air

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
10 Jul 2016 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Used left over primer and antifoul on my tender

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
10 Jul 2016 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said...
I had left over lamb leg $15 bucks at woollies on speciaL from Sunday night.....microwaved the lamb and made a nice mash last night With gravey! Tonight it's French oinion and apricot chicken chops slowely roasted!

What time is dinner being served!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Jul 2016 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Fresh water cooled Bukh DV24 coming up = higher operating temp and hot shower when needed every second month

southace
SA, 4771 posts
17 Jul 2016 2:28AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 240v heater element brand new you can stick it in a keg of beer to heat up your water in the marina comes with a pressure relif valve cost me $300 its all yours if you want to add it to your tub h20?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Jul 2016 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..
Fresh water cooled Bukh DV24 coming up = higher operating temp and hot shower when needed every second month

daviescraig.com.au probally buy a fresh water electric pump of this company

knight
NSW, 60 posts
17 Jul 2016 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Well, after discussions here and elsewhere (mostly the top hat forums) I took the chance to try and repair part of my Gunwale.

I ended up doing a layer of epoxy (West system) then while that was still wet filling the rest of the gap with epoxy mixed with filler.

The epoxy + filler hadn't quite set when I left the boat, so no photo yet but it was very tacky and was looking good when I left

Taped up

Epoxy applied

Epoxy applied

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin