Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
ChopesBro
350 posts
7 Aug 2016 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

I'm after shelter and increased living space.

But it needs to still be sail able.

I also need to remember i cut the keel off.

I need to be careful what i add weight wise above deck.

Trouble is.....i want south aces canopy but only have access to marine ply , resin and glass and some perspex atm.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
7 Aug 2016 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

You cut the keel off? Please explain?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Aug 2016 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..
I'm after shelter and increased living space.

But it needs to still be sail able.

I also need to remember i cut the keel off.

I need to be careful what i add weight wise above deck.

Trouble is.....i want south aces canopy but only have access to marine ply , resin and glass and some perspex atm.

do this and then add a ply stand alone top so you still get the breeze
and "DONT" start sniffing the glue OK

bit of shade for your Boney Bum Chopsbro Only make it put of ply make a simple form work shape add some thin ply and some sort of spacing aterial and add another thin sheet of ply and epoxy together

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Aug 2016 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

I guess chops Bro just wants to step directly on land from the boat so no Keel

southace
SA, 4762 posts
7 Aug 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

If you cut the keel down I wouldn't be adding to much weight above.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
7 Aug 2016 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

You forgot the carbon Uni and coopers beers h2O
Y

crustysailor
VIC, 869 posts
7 Aug 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

you guys look to have all been having fun!.All I seem to do at the moment is clean bird **** off the boat every weekend, and try to ensure it does not look like an abandoned mooring minder.Friggin cormorants.

Plus either my AGM batteries are dying, or too many cloudy days. Sorry, winge over.
Next month though there's a additional boat joining the extended family, thanks to HG's tip off, a H28.

lydia
1731 posts
7 Aug 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

HG, hate to be the one to tell you but you might have an epic fail on the turnbuckles there.
You are replacing them with different ones aren't you.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Aug 2016 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
HG, hate to be the one to tell you but you might have an epic fail on the turnbuckles there.

I do have a few fittings to change Lidyia I think spreaders and back stays I may have to settle on 6 mm wire yet except for the for-stay
which will stay at 7mm.

Same size wire Lydia 7mm Ronstan open toggle turnbuckles from Norsman . Pin size the same on the chain plate deck brackets .
No Mizzen .New Doyle fully battened sail 8 + ounce with more roach and perhaps a slightly longer Boom loose footed and a Vang.
Stays may need resizing to 6mm

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Aug 2016 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

lydia said..

I do have a few fittings to change Lidyia I think spreaders and back stays I may have to settle on 6 mm wire yet except for the for-stay
which will stay at 7mm.

Same size wire Lydia 7mm Ronstan open toggle turnbuckles from Norsman . Pin size the same on the chain plate deck brackets .
No Mizzen .New Doyle fully battened sail 8 + ounce with more roach and perhaps a slightly longer Boom loose footed and a Vang.
Stays may need resizing to 6mm

mine will be in exactly the same position standard issue o a walker only prob I had is the spreader and back stay chain brackets wont accommodate a 7 mm toggle
The 7mm wire toggle just bottoms out before the pin will fit through the chain plate hole

every chain plate bracket has a certain angle and position on the walker ketch the rear is different to the forward bracket and the spreader bracket has a different angle also,
After I clean them this week, Ill take a close up photo of all three chain plates also where they mount on deck has certain angles Lydia
You can see the drilled deck angle in this bracket all directed towards the mast you cant causally fit any bracket to any deck holes you could swap port to star board
As an example the spreader chain plates could be mounted on either side but there spread chain mounts only . They could not be used on any other wire including the back stay

lydia
1731 posts
8 Aug 2016 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hg
Compare the toggles in the top pic with the fork fitting in the bottom.
The ones in the bottom can only swivel laterally not for and aft.
Hope that helps.
PM if I have not explained myself clearly enough.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Aug 2016 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
Hg
Compare the toggles in the top pic with the fork fitting in the bottom.
The ones in the bottom can only swivel laterally not for and aft.
Hope that helps.
PM if I have not explained myself clearly enough.

From the right side of the photo the first is my back stay my 7 mm turn buckle wont fit but in saying that the other back stay chain plate is badly worn I may fill the elongated hole and re-drill and in doing that If I raise the hole slightly the turn buckle would fit just a few mm maybe 5 which will still give me a fair amount of material above the re drilled hole
The shroud chain plate fits OK also so I can go with my 7 mm wire all round
the other set notice the back stay chain plate it needs some attention which it will get but if I raise the rigging screw hole at the top of the worn hole I could fit my 7 mm screws Id rather have every thing the same that way spares can be kept

7 mm T balls originally fitted were swag eyes but they were hidden inside the mast and held together with a through bolt which the halyard rubbed half way through
Not only that who ever did the last rigging bent both swag eyes so they would project out of the mast . I'm no rigger but I never bend a item like that in my trade nor will I start now
So I'm fitting these T balls for my shrouds
The old girl had plenty of mast moment when I purchased her there was no way in hell Id raised a sail before it was removed and inspected

ChopesBro
350 posts
8 Aug 2016 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said...

It was causing a lot of environmental damage in the pristine south pacific.

( i kept hitting reefs trying to enter lagoons )

lydia
1731 posts
8 Aug 2016 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hg, all good if you are using the turnbuckle you have in the pic just above.
As for the T balls some have more bend out than others.
But if the shroud base is very narrow get a brand without much bend so the wire comes out fair from the fitting

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Aug 2016 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..

southace said...

so your a "Steerer" not a" Driver" by the sounds of it Chops Bro

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Aug 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
But if the shroud base is very narrow get a brand without much bend so the wire comes out fair from the fitting

Point and advise taken thanks Lydia
After cleaning the chain plates I can see couple of places that the original turn buckles had been rubbing and had marked the chain plate. When I bought her the masts were flopping around going forward when the bow hit the next wave and vise versa.
I bought her Off a nice old 85 year old Id say shed been bobbing up and down for many a year before i bought her .
She was in need a a new owner and the old owner needed the money not much else around then except inter state and I never had the spare time to sail a boat back here .
She not a thing of beauty just like me

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Aug 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..

southace said...

do you have any weight down low now you have cut the keel off ?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Aug 2016 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Question Lydia
I am under the assumption that the the plate for the T ball the bottom would be the end with the three rivet holes ( it plate fits internally into the mast)

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
8 Aug 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
lydia said..

Point and advise taken thanks Lydia
After cleaning the chain plates I can see couple of places that the original turn buckles had been rubbing and had marked the chain plate. When I bought her the masts were flopping around going forward when the bow hit the next wave and vise versa.
I bought her Off a nice old 85 year old Id say shed been bobbing up and down for many a year before i bought her .
She was in need a a new owner and the old owner needed the money not much else around then except inter state and I never had the spare time to sail a boat back here .
She not a thing of beauty just like me

I would not say that with the amount of work you have put into her she will gleam like new

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
8 Aug 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

I had a bit of a google and on a few sites where it showed them the multiple holes were at the top

Worth asking someone who knows for sure though

Regards Don

Jolene
WA, 1565 posts
8 Aug 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

I had a bit of a google and on a few sites where it showed them the multiple holes were at the top

Worth asking someone who knows for sure though

Regards Don

The load is pulling down on the cup in the mast. The cup takes the downward force and is supported by the cut out in the mast so anything below the cup should have little load , therefore the multiple holes go to the top.

MorningBird
NSW, 2654 posts
8 Aug 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Toph said..

ChopesBro said..
I decided to build a wheelhouse over the cockpit.

Now....i need to discover how im going to do it?

Anyone done this before

I thought Southace or Morning Bird did some time back.

Not me, just a new dodger.

ChopesBro
350 posts
8 Aug 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said...
ChopesBro said..

southace said...

Are you saying I'm fat! And short !!! You bastard

When island hoping i carry double or even more the safe amount of fresh drinking water i think i need ( been caught / very thristy before).

Than there is "us" i usually have three to four paying guests aboard with the assorted travelling needs.

Than there is cargo that i carry for locals.

Than food...surfboards. ..diving gear....fishing gear.

Pretty much everything lives down under because it will either blow away sailing or be lifted very light fingered when anchored near humanity.

Did i mentioned i need a wheelhouse?

I need a bigger bloody boat

But i love this one and we are never in a hurry to be anywhere anyhow

You just sail to capably and enjoy the day

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Aug 2016 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..

SandS said...

ChopesBro said..

southace said...

Are you saying I'm fat! And short !!! You bastard

When island hoping i carry double or even more the safe amount of fresh drinking water i think i need ( been caught / very thristy before).

Than there is "us" i usually have three to four paying guests aboard with the assorted travelling needs.

Than there is cargo that i carry for locals.

Than food...surfboards. ..diving gear....fishing gear.

Pretty much everything lives down under because it will either blow away sailing or be lifted very light fingered when anchored near humanity.

Did i mentioned i need a wheelhouse?

I need a bigger bloody boat

But i love this one and we are never in a hurry to be anywhere anyhow

You just sail to capably and enjoy the day

If you don't have permanent ballast i suggest you remove all sails and masts . You are now effectively a power boat owner.

ChopesBro
350 posts
8 Aug 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thus the 30 hp.

Sails remain and effective just not fast... island time.

In fact no island sail craft I've seen have a keel and use ballest as i do.

But what would they know....10000000 years surrounded by ocean and nothing else

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Aug 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

as long as your guests don't mind getting out on the trapeze , when you start to reach you may stay up-rite . but if your yacht was designed with a heavy keel and you have deleted it . your days right-way up are numbered . good luck !!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Aug 2016 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..
Thus the 30 hp.

Sails remain and effective just not fast... island time.

In fact no island sail craft I've seen have a keel and use ballest as i do.

But what would they know....10000000 years surrounded by ocean and nothing else

We know where you live

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Aug 2016 1:13AM
Thumbs Up

Just have to make a emergence tiller mount and and seal up the mounting compactment

Getting full lock both ways

Sealed up and mounted the anchor winch.
Replacing the deck bolts for the chain plate bolts after cleaning and welding up and drilling clean holes where needed and resealed.
Worked Saturday so not much done.

Andrew68
VIC, 405 posts
15 Aug 2016 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

After having a look at the tall ships in the middle of Port Phillip Bay on Sunday, I settled down to make a cup of tea.

I lit the metho stove and got back on deck. “That stove is putting out a lot of heat,” I thought. Back below, a rubbish bag was burning out of control quite nicely, dropping threatening blobs of flaming molten plastic onto a ¾ full bottle of methylated spirits. Like most people, my rubbish bag was on a hook next to the sink, but in font the fire blanket & extinguisher – which I couldn’t access due to the heat. Eventually I picked up the molten mess of flaming plastic with the washboards and threw it into the sea. The match I used to light the stove must have been hot enough to start the rubbish on fire.

Amazing how quickly a fire can start. Quite a few lessons to be learned from this one.

A

Ramona
NSW, 7479 posts
15 Aug 2016 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

For day sailing I take a flask these days. There was a similar incident on the river near Nowra sometime back. Solo sailer was motoring an Adams 31 down the river and left the helm and started his stove for a brew. Same thing happened but he could not get back down below and the yacht burnt to the waterline.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin