Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Aug 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Started making some Tangs for my lowers a few days ago for my main mast the old aluminium ones had been rubber on the mast and was not happy to leave them one
The radius stainless strap if to beef up the gimbals on the stove in the photo below

you can see what I mean as far as rubbing goes in the photo below

Still have to polish them up but I'm happy Ill run toggles instead of eye

This old stove wont be bouncing around in my cabin add a tang for the hot plate instead of the one it had . What appear to happen is the brass pivot become loose and saws the brass thread off it and then the stove can come off

she not pretty but strong as

The fabbed some brackets for the pedestal mounts

The big plus for the day was dropping off my rigging to be swagged happy as Cisco on a nice sailing day up north

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
19 Aug 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

You must have long skinny arms HG to mount it !!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
19 Aug 2016 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Good one Hg ! On the home stretch now ! Happy days !

marthacove
12 posts
19 Aug 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

A few pics of today's work done on the e24

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
19 Aug 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Almost finished re bedding the genoa track
Very tedious
33 bolts to individually seal
Used butyl mastic/messy but long lasting
Hopefully leaks fixed
But maybe that window....

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Aug 2016 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scaramouche said..
Almost finished re bedding the genoa track
Very tedious
33 bolts to individually seal
Used butyl mastic/messy but long lasting
Hopefully leaks fixed
But maybe that window....

That's on my list as well

knight
NSW, 60 posts
21 Aug 2016 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

A long standing job since I bought Galini, there has been a second Jib halyard that was well and truly past it use by date.

After finally getting all the bits I needed I end-to-ended it with the old halyard and hauled it up.

I was surprised how easy it was, as this rope was from before I bought Galini, I didn't know what size it was and had guessed high, so was a little worried it would jam or the twine would break and I'd be up the proverbial Creek omit paddle.

But it is now in situ. Not quite complete yet, I'm awaiting a fid set I bought to splice the quick connect onto the end, at the moment it's only held on with a bowline.

Beautiful day to be out working on the boat though.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Aug 2016 3:18AM
Thumbs Up

Finally completed the chain plate bolt replacements The main mast spreader chain plates was a bit of a problem as one bolt was buried inside the main bulkhead have some sore fingers to prove it
But there done and should see me out

Also removed the stern rails as Phil at Fleming marine is making a few adjustments for me. Also measured up for a soft spray dodger. Once that's sorted Ill refit the main sheet track onto the hatch cover. My wood work it over due for a good coat of Siken light oak again the grab rail have done well but other parts need some attension

Was hoping to clean vacuum the hull out but ran out of time Ill do it tomorrow Over the next month I need to start prepping for paint work want to finish off the paint as soon as the weather warms

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
28 Aug 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Got the sails up for the first time on Larrikin today - wasn't a lot of wind but she performed very nicely :)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Aug 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

I see the skippers keeping a close eye on things lazza

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
28 Aug 2016 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
I see the skippers keeping a close eye on things lazza

She doesn't really seem convinced with this 'sailing stuff'…could be wrong…'take cover'…aaaaaaaah

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Aug 2016 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Boat got its annual 6 months clean up today sorting tool, nuts and bolts ,epoxy, e glues every thing put in its place and a good vacuum out.
Photos half way through.
Phil from Fleming wind vanes is bending me up a Bimini frame and Solar arch

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
31 Aug 2016 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Just got a working laptop back in action It was great about to read all the work everyone has been doing. My boat is out of the water atm mast is out and being refurbed. Skin fitting and valves removed. Rudder out and back to bare glass. Old chain plates out, new ones ready to be fitted. New solar panel and wind generator frame fitted. Will post some photos soon.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Sep 2016 3:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Just got a working laptop back in action It was great about to read all the work everyone has been doing. My boat is out of the water atm mast is out and being refurbed. Skin fitting and valves removed. Rudder out and back to bare glass. Old chain plates out, new ones ready to be fitted. New solar panel and wind generator frame fitted. Will post some photos soon.

takes ages to sort that lot out looking forward to the photos Andy

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Sep 2016 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

quick coat of paint

lydia
1730 posts
3 Sep 2016 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

I cleaned and then I cleaned and I cleaned some more and then I filed a skip bin with rubbish, bunk cushions, old paint tins, old plates, cheap tools and outdated safety equipment.
I should stop doing these restorations.
Pictures at 11.00.

lydia
1730 posts
3 Sep 2016 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

I am not learning here!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Sep 2016 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Yep know what you mean there mine had 35 years of history and I'm not throwing that out on board.
I found three garbage bags full of old ropes last week that came with the boat. I thought they were bags of leaves and ask why the bags weren't already thrown out last week till I was told there you Bloody ropes Bin tomorrow for those

lloydyboy53
VIC, 49 posts
3 Sep 2016 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Filled and sanded my rudder blade ready for a new coat of glass. Made a new whisker pole

lydia
1730 posts
3 Sep 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Rope can have a new life though.
Coin laundry and 4 litres of fabric softener.
Like new!

southace
SA, 4762 posts
3 Sep 2016 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Boat got its annual 6 months clean up today sorting tool, nuts and bolts ,epoxy, e glues every thing put in its place and a good vacuum out.
Photos half way through.
Phil from Fleming wind vanes is bending me up a Bimini frame and Solar arch

What's the filler fitting in the floor? Water tank? H2o?

jdriver
SA, 9 posts
3 Sep 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

I started the fix on the crack I put in my Impulse. Yes, that's the hull.

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
3 Sep 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jdriver said..
I started the fix on the crack I put in my Impulse. Yes, that's the hull.

I'd go a bit further with the sanding!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Sep 2016 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yes south ace water filler not in use

southace
SA, 4762 posts
3 Sep 2016 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

What's in the tank/bilge?

jdriver
SA, 9 posts
3 Sep 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I was mostly trying to quantify the extent of the damage and roughen the inside surface for that part of the repair. This is new territory for me, so I'm learning as I go. The west product guide says something about a 12:1 feather, but that's for a circle repair in flat-ish sections of FG. I've got a seam repair in ply, but I can imagine how the feathering works, giving some area for the glass to bond. On the other hand, they reckon you can fill an inch diameter hole just with the resin thickener. I can glass the inside, and I've been told I only need one strip of glass tape on the outside. Frightening how much wood I think I'll sand off to get even one layer of glass tape to lie under a fair curve. Inside tape has to go over sanded epoxy coating - my arm doesn't fit well enough to sand all the way back to wood in the buoyancy tank and I'm going to at least try to make the fix without chopping good sections of deck or bulkheads out. Fingers crossed!

Would have been easier if I just smashed a big hole in the the topside panel.

Further advice welcome.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
3 Sep 2016 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
I cleaned and then I cleaned and I cleaned some more and then I filed a skip bin with rubbish, bunk cushions, old paint tins, old plates, cheap tools and outdated safety equipment.
I should stop doing these restorations.
Pictures at 11.00.

Dejunk. First thing you do with a boat when you get it.

Second thing is depopulate. You don't need a crew of 100,000 on board. Just two or three is plenty. Roach bombs, roach traps and plenty of Epson salts spread around the lockers.

Well that is the easy part. What's next!!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
3 Sep 2016 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
I am not learning here!

She looks like a very worth project though. Would she happen to be the very first "Defiance" per chance??

Bristolfashion
VIC, 490 posts
3 Sep 2016 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Still trying to work out EXACTLY where the tillerpilot wiil go. Measure 350 times, drill once!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
3 Sep 2016 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
Rope can have a new life though.
Coin laundry and 4 litres of fabric softener.
Like new!

Nappisan is the go.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin