Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Sep 2016 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm soaking mine for a few days in fabric softener

lydia
1731 posts
3 Sep 2016 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Cisco, well spotted.
Yes, lapse of judgement and another project.
But it is an icon boat.
Besides in 2 weeks time the yard where it was left was putting the chain saw through it as they needed the room for re development and I could not let that happen.
So plan is to get it seaworthy again and take it to the summer house for xmas.
So busy three months.
Look forward having a sail again Cisco.
L

lydia
1731 posts
3 Sep 2016 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
4 Sep 2016 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Hope you post a few pics Lydia on your progress
Not even roaches were on my boat when I got her Cisco just mouldly roof carpet

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
4 Sep 2016 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Painted the under sides this morning now out to the boat

knight
NSW, 60 posts
4 Sep 2016 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Well didn't do anything to the boat per say, but did prepare what I hope will be the new mainsail halyard.

I say hope because I was splicing it, and it being my first time attempting it, I had to cut off the first one and start again. I estimate I lost just under a meter of rope, should be okay, but there wasn't much spare to start with. Oh well time will tell.

Still for my first time splicing I think I did a pretty good job on the second attempt. I just couldn't put enough force into it to pull the cover all the way closed. Maybe the force of the sail will do it.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
4 Sep 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Mounted the stove back into the boat and brought the cabin table home to see if it can be used in the cockpit mounted off the steering pedestal and it will work just fine. So I gave it a sand and hose off then scrubbed it with Feast Watson wood cleaner and pressure wash it after 20 mins.
I use some west system 207 and give it at least three coats then add some varnish to help keep the UV rays off it

The other thing I'm doing is moving the main sail main sheet track slightly forward so i can have more room inside the Bimini for a chart plotter plus it will be a much stronger out come as my four retaining bolts mounted were bent and I have heard other had a similar problem. Phil at Fleming is making me a sail track mounting

so it will end up slightly forward of it original position with its own mounting through the cabin roof

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Sep 2016 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Been giving S&S 34 Morning Mist a bit of engine TLC over the over the past few weeks . Been offered a birth on her next trip to Tassy

Plus I'm trying out the west system 207 clear epoxy on my cockpit/cabin table first coat Ill give it a sand and add another
Probably do three coats then a few coats of varnish .
Probably should be done other than the way I have but time is tight and you do what you can
In the dark of the night

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
6 Sep 2016 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Spent 2 1/2 hours up the mast putting on the last of the mast steps, one to go, maybe tomorrow.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
15 Sep 2016 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Here's s pic of the new hard dodger taking shape

slammin
QLD, 991 posts
15 Sep 2016 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Looking sweet Andy, bet Webb would've appreciated a similar one on his Indian crossing!

I've been doing some newness. New thru Hull fittings and ball valves, New triple clutches, New main sheet and blocks, New centreboard lifting blocks and rope. I changed the purchase for the centreboard from 5 to 6, the board is 90kg so not really that heavy but easier always helps.

I also introduced some rake into the mast now that I also have a new strop for the hyfield leaver on the front stay I will slowly dial in more rake over the next few months, back to the same as she was before I got new rigging and new attachment points.

Next job will be New windows and new Hatch acrylic.

I'm loving all the "news" in those paragraphs.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Sep 2016 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

Picked this up off gum tree not much use its 2016 model was on my list next year but could not resist it. Previous owners up dated to joystick and needed a high volume pump. Now I can complete and close up the hydraulic steering .
Ill start sanding and cleaning above the water line so its ready for painting above the water line when the weather finally turns warm down here. Its either been raining or dripping off the trees down here for the past few months

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
18 Sep 2016 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slammin said...
Looking sweet Andy, bet Webb would've appreciated a similar one on his Indian crossing!

I've been doing some newness. New thru Hull fittings and ball valves, New triple clutches, New main sheet and blocks, New centreboard lifting blocks and rope. I changed the purchase for the centreboard from 5 to 6, the board is 90kg so not really that heavy but easier always helps.

I also introduced some rake into the mast now that I also have a new strop for the hyfield leaver on the front stay I will slowly dial in more rake over the next few months, back to the same as she was before I got new rigging and new attachment points.

Next job will be New windows and new Hatch acrylic.
You been busy slam
I'm loving all the "news" in those paragraphs.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Sep 2016 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted up the steering pedestal still need to buy a few fittings to plumb up the hydraulic steering and the auto pilot pump.
The throttle and gear shift are fitted up

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
18 Sep 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

She will be the worlds flashest Walker when she is finished

I am pleased to say that after 3 years I have (actually my mate Rob did it when she was on the slip) finally managed to varnish the bottom 3 inches of the tiller where the tiller cover doesn't go over as well as giving the cabin top rails a coat as well

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Sep 2016 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

She will be the worlds flashest Walker when she is finished

I am pleased to say that after 3 years I have (actually my mate Rob did it when she was on the slip) finally managed to varnish the bottom 3 inches of the tiller where the tiller cover doesn't go over as well as giving the cabin top rails a coat as well

Regards Don

I found on the walker the sikens runs down the tiller would eventually run down onto the rudder and stain the rudder' a common site on a walker H28

Im going to make one of these so it can be removed when sailing and fix on the stern when at anchor.
Ill need it as I get older

youve got a house Donk this is my house or my room with a view 24/7.
After living on a Seawind 24 you sort of have an idea of a few live aboard luxuries Donk
And who knows after sea trials what will be removed and moved

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2016 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Ill give it a sand with 400 grit over the next few days and roll and tip the second coat on Sunday as its a warm and no rain day

Fitted a couple of speakers into the rudder arm cover and Ill wire in a LED light under the cover to give light to the cockpit floor . The speakers are to be used when motor sailing and when Im anchored next to Cisco

southace
SA, 4762 posts
27 Sep 2016 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry about the mast H2o.......if you don't use your diesel it's not good for it And you won't get up the hours.....! :)

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
27 Sep 2016 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good HG

Any tips for the painting?
I assume you used Perfection?
Was it a one or two person process applying the paint?

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
27 Sep 2016 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Fitted a couple of speakers into the rudder arm cover and Ill wire in a LED light under the cover to give light to the cockpit floor . The speakers are to be used when motor sailing and when Im anchored next to Cisco

You best be gettin a sub woofer as well!! You can get a controller to make the LED's flash & pulsate too - Neighbors love that!!

Looks very smick mate!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzarae said..

HG02 said..

You best be gettin a sub woofer as well!! You can get a controller to make the LED's flash & pulsate too - Neighbors love that!!

Looks very smick mate!!

That's a thought

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Sep 2016 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Started out a bit late and rolled and tipped under a tarp which made it hard to pick up your last brush mark but rolled and tipped a second coat

Wind picked up so lost the tarp and just hoped there would not be any rain and so far so good

Picked out all the sealant between all my deck teak and the fibreglass and I can now sand right up to and under the teak edges for painting the deck
When that's finished Ill reseal the teak.
Next job is prepping the deck for roll and tip Happy so far Ive a couple of small runs but will sand and roll on another coat on the hull When the best weather is available soon

AshleyM
QLD, 197 posts
30 Sep 2016 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to paint the topsides of my Spacesailer next year. How do you rate the finish that is generally achievable from that Perfection/roll and tip paint?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Sep 2016 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AshleyM said..
I'm going to paint the topsides of my Spacesailer next year. How do you rate the finish that is generally achievable from that Perfection/roll and tip paint?

Sam Sturdy had done his top sides there's a link here

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Sailing/General/Painting-Perfection/?page=2&index=34#1912253

Im very happy with the results so far and Sams idea of using the Aldi deco brushes is spot on only problem I had there supply of the Aldi brushes is spasmodic so when there there buy what you need as two days later they will have no stock and you have to wait till they have them for sale again there only around $9 for set of three. The other thing is to find "Foam"rollers that are "solvent resistant."
Bunnings do stock some just read before you buy and replace the roller covers regularly.
Id do it again in perfection roll and tip.
The boat next to mine prepped and sprayed his boat it had to be moved to a spray area by the crane first last feb and after he sprayed it( not perfection paint ) one side was flat and he is still sanding with 1000 grit and polishing 9 months later. Ive a couple of runs today as it was hard to eye under that tarp .
Try and do it with a temp around 15 C and over cast and if there might be dew in the morning cover the painted area with a tarp.
My first coat was very thin second a little thicker
( could not find the roller covers I wanted to use used some other I had)

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
30 Sep 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

That looks great HG ! when are you rigging !!?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Sep 2016 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
That looks great HG ! when are you rigging !!?

Local riggers making me a new mast head at the moment hopefully the mast will be back on in the next month or so
Solar arch incorporating a wind gen is coming along. it includes a stern rail
Wont make the purists happy but it suits my purposes

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
1 Oct 2016 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Excellent job HG, proud of you mate.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
1 Oct 2016 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AshleyM said..

Ashley, the horizontal surfaces are much more prone to moisture settling than vertical
surfaces so deck and cabin tops really need to be tarped regardless of what you might
think the weather or dew might do. It only takes a tiny bit of moisture to kill the shine
you've worked so hard to achieve. So don't cut corners.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Oct 2016 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Excellent job HG, proud of you mate.

Hi Sam
I went out there an hour ago seems ok maybe one more coat . The tarp touched the wet hull side and has left a blemish so Ill have to sand that out

I think Ill continue with the deck and cabin prep it up and when the weather is more stable hit the hull one more time Sam
That's Rain on the hull side today in the lower photo

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
1 Oct 2016 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Good HG. I tried to get across in my original thread that it is an awkward paint to use because
of the care you have to take BUT once it's done it's pretty well there for life.
Keep on keeping on HG. You'll get there mate.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin