Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
1 Oct 2016 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

One thing I just thought of HG. On the vertical surfaces don't put the paint on too thick
especially if the weather is hot. It takes a while for the paint go off and the hot weather
will dry the surface of the paint and allow the sub-surface to drop, so thin coats are the
way to go. It doesn't matter so much on the flat surfaces, but be wary.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Oct 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

One thing I just thought of HG. On the vertical surfaces don't put the paint on too thick
especially if the weather is hot. It takes a while for the paint go off and the hot weather
will dry the surface of the paint and allow the sub-surface to drop, so thin coats are the
way to go. It doesn't matter so much on the flat surfaces, but be wary.

First coat was thin the second coat was a drama . After I mixed the paint decide to throw a tarp over the boat that took a little longer than the 20 mins you wait for the paint to react .
Then the problem was could not find the roller cover wanted to use and used a slightly different cover after looking for the one I wanted to use.
Then rolling and tipping under that tarp also made it harder to pick up my last brush marks.
Around an hour later the wind picked up so and before I could remove the tarp it brushed passed the hull.( first photo) But other than that it went on OK for now
Ill lightly sand it back with some 400 grit and roll one more coat on.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
1 Oct 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking at touching up the bare spots on my cabin sides with interprotect under coat and then rolling single pack over the top a light grey colour. And same with the decks but with true grit added.

Bristolfashion
VIC, 490 posts
2 Oct 2016 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Refitted a staunchion that was beyond wobbly. Reconnected the groovy old compass illumination which looks cool now it's dark. Anna started on the dodger patch for a hole worn by the sail cover brushing across it for the 6 years before we got her - the sail cover has already got a new section!

We're on a roll, what shall we do tomorrow?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Oct 2016 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Ive a list if you need it

Bristolfashion
VIC, 490 posts
2 Oct 2016 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

SydneyJohn
NSW, 34 posts
5 Oct 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said..
The Hoods seem to be a good old boat. The Holdens of Sydney Harbour ....Took a couple of photos, will post tomorrow. (need a driver for the PC)

Our first boat was a Hood, only 2 years ago. They are great little boats. They are a great demonstration of how much fun you can have cheaply with a little boat.

We remember our Hood - Dolphin fondly.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Oct 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Final sand with 400 Grit . Rolland tip the last coat on Saturday morning .
Ill start sanding the pepping the deck tomorrow. Its no Rolls Royce paint job but it will do me.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Oct 2016 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Rolled and tipped both side with there final coat .
Yesterday I started sanding the deck prepping it for non skid and edges .
Probably the same colour as Mrs Sam Sturdy did

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
9 Oct 2016 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

Great paint job HG.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Oct 2016 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Great paint job HG.

Don't worry Cisco "Driftwood" has many imperfections just like me. In very glad to be near the end of trying to achieve a small boat as live a board.
Waiting on the rigger to make some mast head sheathes so the new mast head can be fitted and move forward to finish the mast. Im using the 7 mm turn buckles and toggles up top on all side stays and also eyes on my spreaders and 7/32 on the back stays. Once the mast head is fitted I can run to temp halyard ropes and some mast wiring ect
In the mean time my aim is to prep and paint the deck and cabin and cockpit even if the non skid not painted before the mast is raised .
Unfortunately for me the mizzen was not a option as it has been damaged from a previous accident before I bought her.
( a boat lost its mooring ans took the mizzen down)The mizzen has a crack up near the spreaders Ive had it repaired .
If my intended use was just using the boat in the bay and the occasional out side I may have put it back on but as the rig uses a Triatric stay if the mizzen went down I could loose the main mast .
I need to get the cabin top painted so I can fit some deck organises once there fitted I can finish off the cedar trim inside on the cabin roof, Its a pain when you cant finish off a job because some other thing needs to be done before some other job is completed. Ive a few jobs like that still do but hoping Driftwood will be at least sailing around Xmas( couple of weeks either side) and by Easter some where around Lakes Entrance heading north for the winter.
I think and hope that's achievable safely.

Ramona
NSW, 7487 posts
9 Oct 2016 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to taking a close look at this paint work next year!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Oct 2016 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Looking forward to taking a close look at this paint work next year!

Ill be pulling in there Ramona waiting for the next weather window

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
10 Oct 2016 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Not so much what am I doing to my boat more having done. In the middle of a refurbishment inside. Replacing the astro turf mottles came out decorated in with grey marine liner. New perspex in hatches and windows. Replacing some water dammaged ply. Fitting two extra barlow 25 st winches further aft so they can be used while still at the helm.

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
10 Oct 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Had the riggers down today to go over the rig which I get done every 12 month. I timed it just right as I heard a bang and noticed the main halyard dropped about 20mm while sailing on Saturday, but just assumed the halyard must have slipped in the clutch. When the rigger checked the masthead he found the main halyard pulley at the top of the mast had calapsed. He also dissacembled the jib furler, released all the rigging screws,regreased all the threads and retensioned the entire rig. He is machining up a new solid block for the masthead tonight and will be back to fit it tomorrow. All should be good for another 12 months.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Oct 2016 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

That spreader looks like the size of my Mizzen Jode 5

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
10 Oct 2016 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

That spreader looks like the size of my Mizzen Jode 5

Thank HG for fixing my photo. Yes the spreaders are long, the lower spreaders are over 8' long. You do not realise how long they are until you see them laying on the ground.

Ramona
NSW, 7487 posts
11 Oct 2016 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jode5 said..

Had the riggers down today to go over the rig which I get done every 12 month. I timed it just right as I heard a bang and noticed the main halyard dropped about 20mm while sailing on Saturday, but just assumed the halyard must have slipped in the clutch. When the rigger checked the masthead he found the main halyard pulley at the top of the mast had calapsed. He also dissacembled the jib furler, released all the rigging screws,regreased all the threads and retensioned the entire rig. He is machining up a new solid block for the masthead tonight and will be back to fit it tomorrow. All should be good for another 12 months.

That's a long way up! What halyard did this bloke use to get up there? Looks like a bosuns chair and I presume he was winched up.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Oct 2016 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

spent the last two days on my knees sanding and priming above the rub rail and deck also sanded the teak trim.
I Usually use Sikens light oak and works well
This time I might use west system 207/105 resin three coats sand and three coats of varnish. My theory is I wont have to sand any teak just the varnish . I hate loosing teak by sanding every time when it need redoing it

Ramona
NSW, 7487 posts
15 Oct 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Well it was not my boat but my mates alloy Cole 42. I gave him a hand to sail her down from Lane Cove to her new home in Greenwell Point last night. Damn this boat was good buy! Way too big for my needs but this is a seriously good buy. Hate to guess what this boat cost to build. We encountered Wild Oats as we left the cove and I had to put up with my mates **** eating grin all the way home!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Oct 2016 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Should be a good boat when hes done Ramona
Did some deck sanding and then as Im moving winches further aft, so drill and fitted some teak plugs before any more sanding

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
16 Oct 2016 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
spent the last two days on my knees sanding and priming above the rub rail and deck also sanded the teak trim.
This time I might use west system 207/105 resin three coats sand and three coats of varnish. My theory is I wont have to sand any teak just the varnish . I hate loosing teak by sanding every time when it need redoing it

I think it will be less work in the end if you stick to the Sikkens Cetol 7. A wash and a scrub with steel wool and a coat or two every 12 months should keep it looking good. The oil will feed the timber.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Oct 2016 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

HG02 said..

I think it will be less work in the end if you stick to the Sikkens Cetol 7. A wash and a scrub with steel wool and a coat or two every 12 months should keep it looking good. The oil will feed the timber.

Id say your on the money Cisco it does come up well and next year Ill have far more time on my hands to do stuff like that.

I actually bought a can of Sikens a couple of weeks and I have the epoxy also . Ill keep the epoxy for another job Ill do inside
Last years effort.
I gave it ten coats last 25/05/15 and the rub rail is still in reasonable order today when I looked over it .
The toe rail trim could have been done a few months ago even the cabin grab rails is in good order today when I had a close look

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
17 Oct 2016 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

A coat of paint to deck and gunwale rubbing strip again a never ending task, need to do an injector replacement to the 27hp Kubota, repair the wear to the Bimini Cover, just a usual day at the boat.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Oct 2016 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Blues Banned is looking very nice White out

Jolene
WA, 1566 posts
20 Oct 2016 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got a couple of warm days to paint the rig.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Oct 2016 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately on Vic we are still getting 4 seasons in a day slowly getting warmer
One day it's good to paint but over night it will rain
Then rain for the next few days

8 coats so far its a sanding day tomorrow

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
20 Oct 2016 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

I pulled her out of the water in preparation to give her a big big birthday.

Waiting for Ben to get his boat out.

Bundaberg Slipways' very innovative slipway travel lift.

I will be going into the left hand corner in front of the big anchor.

The rotten rudder (not quite). The chunk out of the back is where a filthy worm got in.

Not bad after being in the water for 3 years. The anti foul is Altec No. 5

Even with all the barnies it is still a sleek looking keel.

She will be here for 2 or 3 days before going into the cradle.

Budget for this slipping is $5,000 which includes re rigging. All donations gratefully accepted.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Oct 2016 1:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

I pulled her out of the water in preparation to give her a big big birthday.

Waiting for Ben to get his boat out.

Bundaberg Slipways' very innovative slipway travel lift.

I will be going into the left hand corner in front of the big anchor.

The rotten rudder (not quite). The chunk out of the back is where a filthy worm got in.

Not bad after being in the water for 3 years. The anti foul is Altec No. 5

Even with all the barnies it is still a sleek looking keel.

She will be here for 2 or 3 days before going into the cradle.

Budget for this slipping is $5,000 which includes re rigging. All donations gratefully accepted.

All I can afford is a free pass to this site seeing shes kiwi I own a B.O.A.T. Cisco

GlennGee
QLD, 38 posts
21 Oct 2016 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Over the last few weeks I have been repairing my Autohelm. When I purchased 'Vamoose', the autopilot worked intermittently and performed the odd 'crazy Ivan'. This got worse over the next couple of sails until it didn't work at all.
When I pulled it apart, I found that the belt had perished and fallen apart. I found a new belt on an online auction site, waited for it to ship from the States and now I have a perfectly working Autohelm.
It amazes me how well this piece of 30 year old technology works. On the weekend it kept us on course for over 3 hours and 17 nautical miles on our way back from Tangalooma. The wind came from all points on our beam and often gusted to 20 knots.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin