Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

When your new belt arrives check and take note of the numbers, dimensions etc. It's probably a stock vacuum cleaner belt or similar.

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
22 Oct 2016 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Re wire birthday for 'Soliloque of Searle', new main board, lots of new electric gizmos, new starter motor, reco old starter motor as spare, reco alternator. Strip out the usual mountain of wire going no where with no purpose !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Oct 2016 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
22 Oct 2016 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

You are a true gentleman HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Oct 2016 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Parkster said..
You are a true gentleman HG

Im more likely a silly old man Parkster

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
23 Oct 2016 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Went to fit new starter motor only to discover two teeth missing off ring gear . Off to the ring gear dentist now!

dkd
SA, 131 posts
25 Oct 2016 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing exciting, up and out of water, pressure wash, sand hull and antifoul and back into water after boat show here. Changed to ablative antifoul and see how that lasts

Bonus is now all measured and rating cert issued so maybe, just maybe we will get to go racing this season, yayyyy, even tho' we get smashed with her rating.

MEGAMAX
WA, 83 posts
6 Nov 2016 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

I recently bought a 1937 gaff cutter, so lots to do.

She is on the hard and is getting new decks, chain plates externally, a number of timbers sistered and some caulking. oh and a paint. I will show some of this shortly!

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
6 Nov 2016 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MEGAMAX said..

She is on the hard and is getting new decks, chain plates externally, a number of timbers sistered and some caulking. oh and a paint. I will show some of this shortly!

Lovely yacht MM. I hope she does not break you or your bank. Taking on an old timber yacht is a big challenge.

Andrew68
VIC, 422 posts
7 Nov 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Over the last week, I have been opening up the foam filled voids in my Currawong. Moisture has been collecting in these voids corresponding to some very minor osmosis on the outside of the hull. My boat was built in 1973 and then at least 10years later during a re-fit the voids were added. The ones in the bilge seemed to be there to stop water pooling - perhaps they should have just fixed the leaks in the deck to avoid the problem all together.

First I removed a very small foam filled void in a and then moved to a much larger void next to the ring frame mast step. You can imagine my surprise to discover over 100kg of lead weights in these voids !

Is it typical for lead weights to be put in boats post construction ? I am pondering if it was to give a bit more weight up front to slice though the waves or was it there to beat an IOR rule ? Curiously they were not symmetrical. I am still contemplating what do and whether I should substitute with more useful stuff like anchor chain, batteries or water tanks.

A void half way removed in the forward bilge. I had just cut-off the cap and you can see the foam beneath.

This shows a larger void on the port side before opening up.

This starboard one is opened and you can see one of the weights still embedded in the foam.

Here is a close up of some of these weights ( about 1/4 of the total)

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
8 Nov 2016 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

The lead would be adjustments to trim for her measurement certificate under the old 1/2 ton measurement rule. The lead would vary side to side to balance out spare anchor and other necessary bits.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
8 Nov 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MEGAMAX said..

looks interesting what design is she where was she built looks European

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Nov 2016 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Cut and made all the steering hoses and this morning loctited the fittings into the helm unit I've already fitted the steering hoses to the hydraulic pump and made the rest of the hoses to complete the steering circuit just need the loctite the rest of the fitting in position.
I have resealed the steering ram this week so it ready to install the hoses are made for it Ive three ball valves fitted coming off the hydraulic pump so it can be isolated if needed . Hoping the wind gen should power it ok in a storm sea.
She an over kill for a walker thats for sure
Two turns lock to lock

These photos were a few days ago so the return line from the pump is not in them
I fitted hull throughs into the floor to past my hose and cables and loom up to the pedestal .
I need to seal these up today and paint out a few spots . Next weekend I flush the system bleed it and attach P clamps to the hose circuit . The Hydraulic pump is mounted on the Mizzen bulkhead . So Id like to paint that area out as well.
Finish off the area around the cylinder mount and seal that up to mount my helm seat/ cylinder cover.
some time when the weather allows paint the non skid and revisit the where I painted the white surrounding the non skid
After painting last time the weather beat me next morning early so it need to be redone . hate that
Bought this off Kurt came off his compass H28 after obtaining 2950 RPM on the back of his repowered Kuboto 20 Hp
Hoping to gain a little more RPM out of it off the bukh DV 24 in my boat . my old one had a bad case of sea acme

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
12 Nov 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Great project!
Lovely boat
Best wishes

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
12 Nov 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

Not wanting to spend your money but you haven't considered a prop that either folds or feathers

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Nov 2016 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

All done for now
Just flushed and Bleed the system work a treat
I'll post a video later

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Nov 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Flushed and bled the steering works a treat firm one finger with the small wheel
Two turns and one inch locked lock

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Nov 2016 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
13 Nov 2016 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Umm? Turning the wheel the opposite direction to the way the boat is going to go might take some getting used to?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Nov 2016 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

HG02 said..

Umm? Turning the wheel the opposite direction to the way the boat is going to go might take some getting used to?

I know next weekend i need to fit one more hose end for the auto pilot ill leave it till then . I wondered who would pick that up .
I was going to check and flush it out next weekend but quickly flushed it today . Its a little cramped down below in the H28 for an old fella

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
14 Nov 2016 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Good to see you went with nylon hoses.

MEGAMAX
WA, 83 posts
16 Nov 2016 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boty said..

MEGAMAX said..

looks interesting what design is she where was she built looks European

Hi Boty,

sorry for the delay...she is a Deben 4 Tonner, UK design by William Blake. Designed in 1936 and built in Fremantle in 1937. She has been in WA ever since.

MEGAMAX
WA, 83 posts
16 Nov 2016 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Here is Chiquita after her refit. 20 minutes later she was in the water (feet wet for Morningbird!). New decks, about 20 sistered frames, chainplates replaced and now external to the hull, about 30 percent recaulked seams and a nice paint job. She was out much longer than i had hoped and we were very worried she would dry out. The yard operators were really good and put her in VERY gently and to my surprise and relief she only leaked a half a bucket in 24 hours...phew, we were prepared for geysers! I wanted to take the engine out and pop it into the scrap bin but we ran out of time...it is truly scrap.

now to go sailing!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
16 Nov 2016 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgeous yacht Megamax!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
19 Nov 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Drilled some big holes and now have some big holes to fill!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
19 Nov 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nearly powered up! Wind on Starboard and SOG and depth on Port . The autopilot and Tri dater can stay on the port side down in the cockpit! Maybe take Tri data down to nav station eventually! Time to cook some lamb cutlets now!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Nov 2016 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Non skid on the decks needs a sweep off and another coat.
Wanted to do it yesterday but had to work

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Nov 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

removed the masking tape and now its next weekend to finish off with another coat

Have to brush another coat next weekend Sam Sturdy

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
20 Nov 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Your nearly there HG ! Well done !!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Nov 2016 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

Your nearly there HG ! Well done !!

The mast head is finished just need fitting up . Once that's done Ill finish of the mast cables that is VHF Nav lighting and wind Vane
The rigging wires been measured and cut ready for swaging one end ( the turn buckle swaging when the mast is craned on deck)
I had to make another prop shaft to suit Kurts old prop which need to be fitted. Once that's done Ill run the motor on the hard and connect a hose to the PSS seal bellows and bed the seal in no the hard.
I picked up a 4 liter of international long life anti foul ,I run that for 12 month then lift it out and roll on some abative. maybe do a boot stripe then
As I have no idea where the boot strip should be it was rather large and to high before it went on the Hard. it was nasty black antifoul and I mean nasty. I had to remove it. I could be called the toxic avenger that never dies to much preservatives

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin