Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Fiesta
QLD, 122 posts
16 Apr 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

New rudder box all laminated up. Test fit of blade is good. Have glued on some plastic sheets to pack out blade to keep the fit snug. No one likes a loose rudder.
Next step is painting it up and fitting the gudgeons and tiller. Looking forward to seeing how the new blade balances. I have cut out the front to allow some area closer to the pivot point so should be lighter to steer.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Apr 2014 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

it got worst than this ,I am not fitting this to the boat not unless I have it $100.0000 insurance which I wont be getting.. as I used the money to buy this plus small a blow torch > do like to cook and I do not trust gas

< new second hand

Its all manual labor for a few months now

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Apr 2014 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Before pressure wash was reasonably clean forgot to take a photo after will tomorrow

The local lift out crane will be removed by the end of April and it will be 12 months before the new one will be operating so thought Id freshen it up and also have a look one rudder bearing needs a shim or two Ill fix that before shes drop back in and Ill be throwing some sikkens around after anti fouling the bottom < this old blokes a bit tired tonight
I did try some 3M fiblerglass restorer after this photo was a little disappointed but as some one said to me there the boat needed it a few years ago it has improved it but she really needs a hull paint

Lexmark
VIC, 218 posts
18 Apr 2014 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi to all
New to sailing, purchases a 36 S&S and am in the process of checking her out, have installed a Fleming Wind Steer, now a new chart plotter and an AIS, have taken all sails to Pete Green to check out, motor near new, owned Cray boats on Flinders some time ago, but sail is new to me, not sure how it will all go, but need to "Tick" the box, about 3 weeks will head off from Port Albert Vic to Qld and then ?????????
Stephen

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
18 Apr 2014 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lexmark said..

Hi to all
New to sailing, purchases a 36 S&S and am in the process of checking her out, have installed a Fleming Wind Steer, now a new chart plotter and an AIS, have taken all sails to Pete Green to check out, motor near new, owned Cray boats on Flinders some time ago, but sail is new to me, not sure how it will all go, but need to "Tick" the box, about 3 weeks will head off from Port Albert Vic to Qld and then ?????????
Stephen

Excellent choice of yacht and vane Lexmark. Fill in a few details in your bio. Drop in to Greenwell Point on your way North. AIS will be handy avoiding some of the ships that actually have it switched on. The problem is fishing boats, both amateur and professional is they don't generally have AIS and they are prolific on the whole Eastern seaboard.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Apr 2014 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday after pressure wash

One coat of anti foul and a quick sand and Sikkens on the rubbing strip Have to buy some black tomorrow for the boot strip also a new prop shaft anode

saltiest1
NSW, 2485 posts
18 Apr 2014 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

it got worst than this ,I am not fitting this to the boat not unless I have it $100.0000 insurance which I wont be getting.. as I used the money to buy this plus small a blow torch > do like to cook and I do not trust gas

< new second hand

whats going on there??? over pressure and incorrect air / gas ratio? or maybe a diy put together of the unit.
this stuff scares me.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Apr 2014 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

HG02 said..

< new second hand

whats going on there??? over pressure and incorrect air / gas ratio? or maybe a diy put together of the unit.
this stuff scares me.

I was not letting it heat up the Metho so proper vaporization did not occur One burn is work correctly one is not right now Ill have another look this week Mainly my fault as I was not letting the burner heat up long enough

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Apr 2014 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Back in the water tomorrow after a hose down and a scrub get all the dust off her

more sanding and oiling to go

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Apr 2014 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Ready to go back in

Bad photo sorry. Gave her another coat of Sikkens while tied to the pier and sponged rust remover on her stainless she is starting to look nice
Took her back to the swing mooring day off tomorrow

bubble7777
QLD, 191 posts
20 Apr 2014 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

finally got onto the painting, although this was still sanding

second coat of epoxy on the hull. I hope the water line isn't to low.

glad wrapped boat . it was for the rain but its also good at making sure no bugs or dust gets onto the paint. when I paint above the waterline next year I will do the same but extend it out to give more working room

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Apr 2014 4:19AM
Thumbs Up

Looking great Bubble I wish my rubbing strip was in as good a nick as yours . I would like as full description when your finish as mine needs the same to either next year or the year after .She got a few scars on her sides. Great idea the tent you made Bubble

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 May 2014 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Saturday Thought Id start early get down there around day break so off I go after driving for 25 minute realize you D.K. you did not put the Oars in the car U turn go back home grab the oars as away we go once again.
Started measure things and removing wire from the boat. Then I turned around thought well you might as well its got to come off.

Then I carefully removed the cabinet wood

One good thing was the Laminex came off reasonably easy so I could removed the screws holding the sink top on the base. packed up before the weather changed and came home to m do a few jobs at home for the boat a good day except for leaving the Oars at home

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
9 May 2014 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

'Solilque of Searles' restoration nearly complete sails given once over by Walker sails of Wynyard, crisp new boom bags fitted, lazy jacks fitted halyards and topping lifts replaced now it's time to get her sailing, we haven't had her under full sail since purchase 4 months ago.

BORNFREEE
72 posts
9 May 2014 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Parkster hope she sails well , i bought my yacht at the begining of the year and yesterday was D day for my first sail it was a great feeling worth every cent

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
9 May 2014 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

hey parkster doing a nice job bring her around to port sorell and we can catch up

Shotchas
NSW, 87 posts
9 May 2014 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Half of the bottom scraped, collected about 30kgs of old paint. There seems to be more bog than what's at the local secondhand car yard, (which shall remain nameless) but will carefully do a proper job and have it good as new.
After the hull comes the cutless bearing, (rudder removal?), possible engine removal to clean bilge and renew buggered electric pump, fit wind vane, blah blah blah.

On a side note, has anyone ever had non sailing friends express a desire to go out with you to do a spot of fishing? I've got nothing against fishing and will probably do a bit myself, but they don't seem to realise it's not a "fishing boat".

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
9 May 2014 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shotchas said..

On a side note, has anyone ever had non sailing friends express a desire to go out with you to do a spot of fishing? I've got nothing against fishing and will probably do a bit myself, but they don't seem to realise it's not a "fishing boat".

They think all boats are fishing boats if it means they can get a free ride on someone elses boat and the big plus for them is, being a sailing boat they don't have to chip in for the fuel coz as we all know, the wind is free. If they really want to go out on your boat, fishing, get them to haul sails up and down and work the sheets, methinks they won't want to come next time.

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
9 May 2014 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

I fish off mine all the time. Sail out to the grounds I used to work, hove too, catch a feed and sail home.

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
10 May 2014 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus005 said...
hey parkster doing a nice job bring her around to port sorell and we can catch up

Hey AUS005 very keen to voyage over any advice on local waters at port?

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
11 May 2014 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

yea dont bring her in the dark the leading lights are not working there is a notice to mariners on masts web site

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 May 2014 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Wood work weekend Made replicated the battery box for the starboard side . Made two panels for fixxing my electrical panels and solar charger to also made a panel for the cockpit throttle and forward reverse control this may be larger than I need as I didnt have the measurements at home

Finish them off during the week

Also tried to find my phone which id left on a shop counter to no avail < I do have a love hate relationship with it, so its going to cost me but wont be buying the same phone thats for sure

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
12 May 2014 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

Painting!

Time for a new name as well - the shortlist...
-Unflushable
-Wet Dreams
-Waterworld
-Kraken
-Eureka

It's very hard to brain new boat names.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
12 May 2014 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

How aboat keeping it traditional like "my fair lady" or "queen of the sea" ?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 May 2014 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..

Painting!

Time for a new name as well - the shortlist...
-Unflushable
-Wet Dreams
-Waterworld
-Kraken
-Eureka

It's very hard to brain new boat names.

I was thinking calling my Walker H 28 "Snotty" as thats what Herreshoff said Fiberglass boats were made of green snot

you could go with some thing political caller her Tony Abbott maybe D(o)ugong a sea version of bogan what about "Seabongan" sounds great at 12.30 pm

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
12 May 2014 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Gotta remember that what ever you choose its gotta sound good when you get on the VHF!

Imagine saying "My Fair Lady" three times every time you made a call

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 May 2014 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

Gotta remember that what ever you choose its gotta sound good when you get on the VHF!

Imagine saying "My Fair Lady" three times every time you made a call

Sea Bongan sounds good three times and easy on the mouth
or another name" the horse bucked the girl " just don't say it with your figures in your mouth Sir J

I could list my current boats name on e bay and send you a link SirJ same owner for 25 years comes with the original vinyl decals Erakor and Il throw in the 11 for free

what about "sea biscuit " thinking of sea and horses

southace
SA, 4762 posts
12 May 2014 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

3 times is just what they try to teach u in radio school! Truth is well some people have no idea! I just say this is Sea princess twice are you receiving over!

southace
SA, 4762 posts
12 May 2014 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

I don't seem to be issued with a fine because I call twice! I could do my " my fair lady" twice no prob.

dustyned
NSW, 10 posts
14 May 2014 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Bought her

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin