Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
nswsailor
NSW, 1434 posts
14 May 2014 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Good one Dustyned,

Now why don't you post it on the Top Hat site so all the Top Hatters can see your nice Mark 2 Top Hat?

PS Southace, Dustyned's Top Hat is called "Fourth Lady" how close is that to "Fair Lady" ???

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 May 2014 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Good boat the top hat my X's brother owns one, built it from a bare hull back in the 80's did a great job of it to. about the old thing that happened was
his was while at the marina during the week a very small pin hole in the fiber glass hull filled the boat and she sank . shes all good now though always makes me think about my boat every day when I'm not there

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 May 2014 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said...
How aboat keeping it traditional like "my fair lady" or "queen of the sea" ?

I like some thing like this over the radio for Sir j "this is just a tart " " this is just a tart " just a tart are u receiving over

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 May 2014 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

my gauges showed up today my panel is a little small on the gauge holes Ill have to clean them out a little

Hopefully when the guys at work are painting two pack black they may spay a little on the panel next week once Iv cleaned the holes out

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
17 May 2014 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

HG - nice guages, where did you get them?
Allan

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 May 2014 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Filed and filled in some holes ready for painting

I meant to add these gauges came with sender units I bought the fuel gauge from the same seller they come with 1/8 npt threaded senders my Bukh I am hoping is 1/8 BSP I bought the brass adapters form auto barn a three way 1/8bsp on to and one with NPT to suit the gauge
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221178470290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 < gauges link with senders

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
17 May 2014 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Its looking good Haydn, (unlike me) you always do a neat job !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 May 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said...

If I can ever make you some thing let me know Spongeblob ok

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 May 2014 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said...

I don't have a family to look after like you mine are older you can only stretch your self so far when there growing up Sponeblob

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2014 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nearly finished engine and isolator panel still have to paint the engine panel and sand and Cabot's the wood panel a few times

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2014 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Great job but personally I would be putting engine instruments into the cockpit like I did!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said...
Great job but personally I would be putting engine instruments into the cockpit like I did!

what Ive been searching for a Raymarnie style Multi LCD screen that I could utilize engine sensors and feed the LCD screen and have that in the cockpit but being an old BUKH cant find yet .I'm still looking On the later Yanmars and others you can get engine senors integrated

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah great a touch screen 12" LCD screen with multiple readings from sensors all over the boat! KISS

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
18 May 2014 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Wow. That is a 'fully sick' cockpit, southace!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2014 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

It was put together with blood sweat and beers!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2014 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Its only 28 foot long south ace I sort have to compromise a little . But I know what you mean I like to glimpse every now and then to make sure every thing is reading right any change and your right on it .I have been thinking of a reverse alarm off a excavator as a low pressure and high temp
That should scare a few miners when there on the water the old BEEERP BEERP that should alert my kids if they ever use it

BORNFREEE
72 posts
18 May 2014 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

That panel looks great mate

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 May 2014 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BORNFREEE said...
That panel looks great mate

Thanks B/f as long as I don,t make any mistake before finishing it off

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 May 2014 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

painted and reassemble sort out the mount onto the boat next then wire it up still not sure if this will be port or starboard side
I am thinking perhaps I should keep the DC house panel and its wiring away from the stove (Pariffin)or port side so this maybe come the port side panel Id say as it has no wiring going forward in the boat Happy so far

decide to go with my LED switch panel in the space

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
20 May 2014 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Well done mate! When are you coming over to do mine? :P

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
20 May 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Where is the bilge section from? I need something like that.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 May 2014 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said...
Where is the bilge section from? I need something like that.

Ill send you send you a link local guy on e bay not far from me
link sent

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 May 2014 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

The other thing is I think I know what this is now

I think the previous owner a scientist designed amd made his own alterator boost system so he could flick a switch and increase the alternator out put

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
20 May 2014 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

It may be a homemade voltage regulator?!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 May 2014 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said...
It may be a homemade voltage regulator?!

It is some thing like that he could flick a switch and increase the alternator output he used it as he maily did short runs with the motor I think

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 May 2014 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

No photos but sanded and sikkens the tiller and companionway trim and parts of the aft bunk trim
Made my cutout for the engine panel and bought the engine cover and the Bukh flywheel ( pulley change)home do do some work on both.
re insulate the engine cover and finish off the wood panels on it

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
24 May 2014 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

went for a sail and put kite up, only second time on this boat.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 May 2014 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
keensailor said...
went for a sail and put kite up, only second time on this boat.

Hopefully next spring I might get a sail or two up

madmission
VIC, 234 posts
25 May 2014 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

"I think the previous owner a scientist designed amd made his own alterator boost system so he could flick a switch and increase the alternator out put "

I think you might have it right
Before alternators had built in regulators for my battery charger on the farm (remote from grid power)
Was a car alternator driven by a 5 hp honda motor
to control the out put i used a variable resistor (quite robust one) to regulate the voltage on the field ? winding which dictated the output
that circuit looks to me to have two resistors (fixed values) which may give a float and boost charge rate
technology certainly moves along at pace

Your switch board work looks fantastic and you will be rewarded when its all operational for years to come

"Hopefully next spring I might get a sail or two up "

that time will rapidly approach so keep up the pace
perhaps some enjoyment is had in the process

What do i need to do on my boat ?
Returned from last sail with a list of about 12 jobs ranging from fitting deck / rigging hardware to finding pesky dribble under foredeck
interestingly 6 out of the 12 are electrical in nature .... laser sailing is so simple

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
25 May 2014 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

After not being on the boat for 6-7 weeks following a ride on the medical go round took her out for a motor and I was lucky to get 2 knots out of her. Thinking it might be growth on the prop yesterday I motored over to the Deeban Spit ( a large area of sand at low tide in Port Hacking). On the eastern end of the sand flats nosed into the shore at low tide, dropped the pick then put out a small sand anchor on the beach and pulled the stern in as close as I could to the shoreline. Sure enough, lots of shell on the prop. Probably took 20-30 mins to get it reasonably clean so now once again she motors like she should.

A happy chappy once more.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin