Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Jul 2014 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

What I'm finding Donk one job Leeds to another job
Ok what did you buy today Donk

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Jul 2014 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

No we didn't end up going as I thought it would be a bit rushed

It didn't start till 10am and we had a BBQ at the yacht club here starting at 12pm and it is about a 45 min drive across to Kettering and my wife was planning to do a bit cooking for the BBQ

I don't really need anything at the moment other than some wet weather gear before the Pipe Opener http://dssinc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PO-Notice-of-Race-and-Entry-2014.pdf in mid September but I still have a bit of time to look around and I might end up buying a new set now I have sold the Spacesailer and have a bit of cash available

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Jul 2014 2:03AM
Thumbs Up

Donk107 said..
No we didn't end up going as I thought it would be a bit rushed

It didn't start till 10am and we had a BBQ at the yacht club here starting at 12pm and it is about a 45 min drive across to Kettering and my wife was planning to do a bit cooking for the BBQ

I don't really need anything at the moment other than some wet weather gear before the Pipe Opener http://dssinc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PO-Notice-of-Race-and-Entry-2014.pdf in mid September but I still have a bit of time to look around and I might end up buying a new set now I have sold the Spacesailer and have a bit of cash available

Regards Don

Thought your wife might have ear marked those dollars my X would have

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Jul 2014 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Propted up

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Jul 2014 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Propted up

Hi HG

I know that you are concerned about the depression in the cabin roof under the mast and were thinking about adding a compression post but I think that is a bit over the top

Regards Don

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
20 Jul 2014 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

I rowed out to her and said "Hello Darlin', your sugar daddy is back!!" Making love to a mistress half your age is fantastic.

Her metal heart has not been running the smoothest so I cranked it up, got it warm and cracked the injector line on the aft pot first, nipped it back up and did the same to the fwd pot and nipped it back up.

This proved to me that the fwd pot is running stronger than the aft because it nearly died when I cracked the fwd pot.

This of course means that both injectors need to be pulled and taken to the Doctor of diesel injection. It is probable that the injection pump needs to be taken there as well.

The engine is a Yanmar 2QM 15 or 20 and after having got us all the way from Lake Macquarie to Bundaberg trouble free except for a hole blown in the after market exhaust elbow, I think it deserves a big birthday.

Injectors are pulled, water pump with leaking shaft seal is removed, wet elbow with leaking gasket is removed, air silencer/filter box is removed and alternator is removed, all of which will get a workshop work over.

This means Second Wind is sitting at anchor and disabled engine wise. That puts me on high alert to getting the jobs done.

Further jobs to be done are replacement of engine anodes after a flush of the water jackets, oil and filter change, fuel filter change, valve clearance adjustment, gearbox oil change and why not a shaft alignment.

Cisco has his time cut out keeping his mistress in the style that he demands.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Jul 2014 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
I rowed out to her and said "Hello Darlin', your sugar daddy is back!!" Making love to a mistress half your age is fantastic.

Her metal heart has not been running the smoothest so I cranked it up, got it warm and cracked the injector line on the aft pot first, nipped it back up and did the same to the fwd pot and nipped it back up.

This proved to me that the fwd pot is running stronger than the aft because it nearly died when I cracked the fwd pot.

This of course means that both injectors need to be pulled and taken to the Doctor of diesel injection. It is probable that the injection pump needs to be taken there as well.

The engine is a Yanmar 2QM 15 or 20 and after having got us all the way from Lake Macquarie to Bundaberg trouble free except for a hole blown in the after market exhaust elbow, I think it deserves a big birthday.

Injectors are pulled, water pump with leaking shaft seal is removed, wet elbow with leaking gasket is removed, air silencer/filter box is removed and alternator is removed, all of which will get a workshop work over.

This means Second Wind is sitting at anchor and disabled engine wise. That puts me on high alert to getting the jobs done.

Further jobs to be done are replacement of engine anodes after a flush of the water jackets, oil and filter change, fuel filter change, valve clearance adjustment, gearbox oil change and why not a shaft alignment.

Cisco has his time cut out keeping his mistress in the style that he demands.

Thats B.O.A.T for you Cisco a wise man told me about B.O.A.T a few months ago

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Jul 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi
HG02 said..
Propted up

Hi HG

I know that you are concerned about the depression in the cabin roof under the mast and were thinking about adding a compression post but I think that is a bit over the top

Regards Don

when you see two different colors on the fitted panels Donk in that photo. I found out the hard way one is gloss the other satin so I left the starboard side(gloss) and removed the port side and cleaned up and went home . Back to bed as this flu dulled an even dulled mind Blue side down Dam it gLUE ON THE GREEN SIDE The blue side looks nice once the cover is removed

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Jul 2014 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

I see that you have placed the join in the centre

When you fit the timber cover strip will this cause a problem with a lack of headroom

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Jul 2014 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Deleted

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
20 Jul 2014 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
I found out the hard way one is gloss the other satin so I left the starboard side(gloss) and removed the port side and cleaned up and went home . Back to bed as this flu dulled an even dulled mind Blue side down Dam it gLUE ON THE GREEN SIDE The blue side looks nice once the cover is removed

It is a bitch when you make those sort of mistakes. Don't worry, you will be able to cut that piece up into smaller trim pieces to use elsewhere.

Either that or you dull up the glossy side or polish up the dull side. Try buffing it with cut and polish paste before you take it down.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Jul 2014 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

I see that you have placed the join in the centre

When you fit the timber cover strip will this cause a problem with a lack of headroom

Regards Don

The panel is 3 mm thick and my timber cover strip will be very thin probably glued not screwed as there is no need
I was hoping to get my panels transported to the boat and the fell through . I would have preferred to fit a meter wide panel in the center and run it to the hatch and make and fit the sides in a continuous lenght I think my flu has the best of me Donk

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
20 Jul 2014 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

Is the green panel still usable or do you need to toss it and start again

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Jul 2014 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

Is the green panel still usable or do you need to toss it and start again

Regards Don

Toss it Donk. Im off to the Doctors. had a flu injection a couple of months ago this is a weird cold Ive got

theace
NSW, 70 posts
21 Jul 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Could not stop laughing a boat owner with CASH in his pocket ha ha ha.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Jul 2014 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theace said..
Could not stop laughing a boat owner with CASH in his pocket ha ha ha.

You probably spend yours down the pub ace or maybe card games

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
21 Jul 2014 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

I became quite concerned last night as I had left my lovely on anchor with a disabled engine yesterday.

First up I enquired as to the availability of a marina berth for a week or two. That being determined in the positive I set about wire buffing my injectors, alternator and exhaust wet elbow.

Then I took three cheques up town and paid my phone bill, rates and half of my accountant's bill.

That done I went back home, hooked up my tinnie to my van and headed towards the boat harbour at Burnett Heads. On the way I stopped at the auto leccy and had my boat's alternator checked out then spoke with my auto mechanic about the consequences of a snapped timing belt in my V6 Camry (no big problem) and then stopped off at the diesel doctor's place, had a chat about my donk and left my injectors with him.

High tide was at five so I got to the harbour at three thirty, launched the tinnie, grabbed Terry from the marina and we went out to Second Wind. Once there we lashed the tinnie to the stbd side with fenders between, set fenders and mooring lines to the port side, drove her up onto the anchor, hauled it in leaving it veered just in case and then we gently pushed her over to the marina with Terry driving the tinnie and I steering the yacht.

She was manouvered into the pen without any bumps and such efforts of co-ordinated team work and masterful seamanship are rarely witnessed.

Don't say "Pics or it didn't happen." It happened and it was great fun.

Time not spent messing around in boats is wasted.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Jul 2014 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

pulled my props off the roof

once its trimmed it will look really nice

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
22 Jul 2014 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
pulled my props off the roof

once its trimmed it will look really nice

Hi HG

She looks flash

Well done

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Jul 2014 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Looks Gappy the photo , but its ok in the boat donk . I saw some wood trim in Masters and also a place in East Bentleigh Ill check out

The carpet looks ok in the photo but Ive previously scrubbed it for mold and in the flesh it needed removal. Your cant see the stain in the photo but there there
I removed the acrylic out of my port light and have had them cut new material poly some thing its a tougher material and also more UV resistance . Ill keep on with the cabin sides this weekend . I am hoping to trim and sand the cedar strips to the aluminum edge of the window frame. This is going to be a pain to do and ill stuff a few up along the way I guess and Ill make use of any mistakes I make

I have around 300 cm to finish at the hatch sides yet with the paneling this wont take long and the props wont be in the way like the others were. Ill make a template of the dip at the front and cut some paneling to go across the dip and trim with timber as well.
This paneling comes with a satin finish on one side and a high gloss on the other.l I chose the high gloss side as I thought it might bring in more light as the timber cabin sides will make the interior darker. Time will tell I guess
I wont touch under the mast area yet as ill think about it and also get a ship wrights opinion of the depression there its only small but to me it would nag the #hit out of me when Ill in a blow some where down the track

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
22 Jul 2014 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
24 Jul 2014 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looking good HG02. Teak or meranti battens over the edges and it is done.

I thought my Yanmar 2QM 15 was running rough from the day I bought the yacht. Probably a miracle it got us up to Qld without breaking down.

The diesel doctor was able to recondition one of the injectors but the other needs a new nozzle which confirms my diagnosis of one pot firing weaker than the other.

Then there is the issue of tappet/valve clearances that I checked and adjusted yesterday. One was quite loose and the others quite tight almost to the point of the valves not sealing.

Hopefully none of them are burnt and I do not have to take the cylinder head off and recondition it. That will probably happen in the next 12 months but not right now if I can avoid it.

The engine was becoming increasingly difficult to start. Hopefully this is due only to the gunk I found in the primary filter. I was suspecting the fuel lift pump of being faulty but since opening up the fuel lines I have proved it to be operational.

Fuel lift pumps do not have a large volume capacity as they only need to supply marginally more fuel than the engine is using with the excess fuel supply going back to the secondary filter mounted on the engine via the spill return line. For this reason they are very inefficient for bleeding the system. One can be pumping on the external lever for half an hour or more to get the system bled.

For that reason I will be fitting a diaphragm or bulb type pump between the fuel tank and the primary filter for the purpose of bleeding the system. This will bleed the lines and filters up to the fuel injection pump. That pump and the fuel injection lines have to bled by cranking the engine.

The last owner or the person that serviced it last went mad with a can of silver frost spray paint on the engine. Half of it is not sticking and the engine looks like it has a bad case of eczema. The components I have taken off such as the rocker cover, alternator will be spray painted in the workshop and the rest of the engine will be brush painted after cleaning.

Once the job is all done I will post photos and a short video of the engine running. These engine caame out in the mid to late 70s. My boat was built in 1982 so the engine is at least 32 years old. They were very solidly built so properly serviced I expect to get at least another ten years out of it.

Cheers Cisco.

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
24 Jul 2014 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Cisco,

Check that one of your valve springs is not damage/broken. If so replace ALL of them, not just one.

That's what I found on my 10hp Nanni. Could never get it to go properly until we found that broken spring.

I would have considered replacing the injectors as well. After all they are what makes the bloody things go!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Jul 2014 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

I used to work for a Yanmar Excavator dealer they are a really good motor. some owned by people that really abuse them . and they just keep going

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
24 Jul 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

With my 1983 2GM20 Yanmar i am suprised how easy it is to start with no glow plugs

I only need to crank it for about 5 seconds and it will start with about 5 seconds of knocking and than after that it runs smooth compared to my 2005 4.2 diesel patrol where if you forget to glow it it will just crank, blow a heap of black smoke out of the exhaust and struggle to fire

My Yanmar had the head replaced a couple of years ago due to corrosion and I have heard that the water injection elbow on the exhaust manifold corrodes and this directs raw water into the exhaust port on the head and causes the corrosion in the head but i am not certain of this

Regards Don

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
24 Jul 2014 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Been buying a heap of stuff lately...such as:
-Delorme inreach SE
-GPS receiver with bluetooth (ipad compatible)
-Cheapish chinese waterproof ipad case.
-4 man liferaft
-para flare

That should wrap up spending for a while.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Jul 2014 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..
Been buying a heap of stuff lately...such as:
-Delorme inreach SE
-GPS receiver with bluetooth (ipad compatible)
-Cheapish chinese waterproof ipad case.
-4 man liferaft
-para flare

That should wrap up spending for a while.

Just send me your money Ill spend it for SirJman
what GPS receiver did you buy J ?

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
24 Jul 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
With my 1983 2GM20 Yanmar i am suprised how easy it is to start with no glow plugs

I only need to crank it for about 5 seconds and it will start with about 5 seconds of knocking and than after that it runs smooth compared to my 2005 4.2 diesel patrol where if you forget to glow it it will just crank, blow a heap of black smoke out of the exhaust and struggle to fire

My Yanmar had the head replaced a couple of years ago due to corrosion and I have heard that the water injection elbow on the exhaust manifold corrodes and this directs raw water into the exhaust port on the head and causes the corrosion in the head but i am not certain of this

Regards Don

My second last yacht had a Yanmar 2QM 15 which would start on the first or second compression stroke (1 or 2 seconds) and it had not been run for at least 2 years before I got it. I am hoping my current work on this engine will give the same results. Yanmars should do that. They are a great engine.

Most wet elbows I believe have the water injection too close to the manifold. Mine has an inner and outer tube, both about 300 mm long. The water injection tube is 100 mm from the manifold and squirts onto the inner tube cooling it and then the water mixes with the exhaust gas 200 mm further down. It is custom made and I think a very good set up.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
24 Jul 2014 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Cisco

What are the specs (displacement ,hp etc) on a 2QM15

Regards Don

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
25 Jul 2014 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Cisco

What are the specs (displacement ,hp etc) on a 2QM15

Regards Don

You may want this then Don ........ j30.us/files/2qm15_servicemanual.pdf ..... enjoy

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin