Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jul 2014 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Cisco

What are the specs (displacement ,hp etc) on a 2QM15

Regards Don

15 H.P

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
25 Jul 2014 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

SirJman said..
Been buying a heap of stuff lately...such as:
-Delorme inreach SE
-GPS receiver with bluetooth (ipad compatible)
-Cheapish chinese waterproof ipad case.
-4 man liferaft
-para flare

That should wrap up spending for a while.

Just send me your money Ill spend it for SirJman
what GPS receiver did you buy J ?

gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

There also is a free 'dual' app to show stats on satellite connections.

I'm pretty excited to get my delorme inreach registered so I can have a play.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Jul 2014 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Cisco

Regards Don

Hi Don,

The 2QM15 is a "square" engine ie same bore and stroke measurements of 75 mm bore and 75mm stroke and 662 cc displacement.

This type of engine will not have high torque at low revs but will be capable of higher RPM.

It has pre-combustion chambers but does not rely on glow plugs for start up. Compression ratio is 23:1.

Maximum HP is 15 at 3,000 RPM however no maximum continuous HP/RPM is given. I think you can flog them without too much worry.

The torque and fuel consumption curves show that max torque and lowest fuel consumption occur at 2,400 RPM. My engine seems to run very comfortably at that speed and pushes the yacht along at 5.5 to 6 knots which is fairly much hull speed for a 26' 3" LWL vessel.

They are a fairly bullet proof engine and there are thousands of them around in smaller yachts still chugging away after more than 30 years since their release. If you have one give it a big birthday as I am doing and I am sure it will serve you well.

Cheers Cisco.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
25 Jul 2014 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't do anything on mine but I did go for a sail with my mate on his new to him boat

http://yachthub.com/brokers/mdbs_rushcutters/print.php?de=90728

We didn't have a lot of breeze (probably 5-8 knots) but it went pretty well (around 5 knots) with what we had

We have some beautiful days down here in winter but there is often little or no wind

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
25 Jul 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
Donk107 said..
Hi Cisco

Regards Don

Hi Don,

The 2QM15 is a "square" engine ie same bore and stroke measurements of 75 mm bore and 75mm stroke and 662 cc displacement.

This type of engine will not have high torque at low revs but will be capable of higher RPM.

It has pre-combustion chambers but does not rely on glow plugs for start up. Compression ratio is 23:1.

Maximum HP is 15 at 3,000 RPM however no maximum continuous HP/RPM is given. I think you can flog them without too much worry.

The torque and fuel consumption curves show that max torque and lowest fuel consumption occur at 2,400 RPM. My engine seems to run very comfortably at that speed and pushes the yacht along at 5.5 to 6 knots which is fairly much hull speed for a 26' 3" LWL vessel.

They are a fairly bullet proof engine and there are thousands of them around in smaller yachts still chugging away after more than 30 years since their release. If you have one give it a big birthday as I am doing and I am sure it will serve you well.

Cheers Cisco.

Hi Cisco

Is it similar to my 2GM20 in any way

Regards Don

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Jul 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Donk107 said..
I didn't do anything on mine but I did go for a sail with my mate on his new to him boat

http://yachthub.com/brokers/mdbs_rushcutters/print.php?de=90728

We didn't have a lot of breeze (probably 5-8 knots) but it went pretty well (around 5 knots) with what we had

We have some beautiful days down here in winter but there is often little or no wind

Regards Don

That is a hot yacht!! Is it ply or aluminium??

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Jul 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

Hi Cisco

Regards Don

Yes it is quite similar, or rather your 2GM 20 is quite similar to the 2QM 15.

The GM series is the next generation and one would assume an improvement on the previous. The governor housing and assembly is more compact.

The 2GM20 is not 20 HP. It is 18 HP.

Google it up. There is lots of info on them and I believe pdf downloads of manuals etc.

Cheers Cisco.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Jul 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Spent about $500 on injectors, fuel lines, a priming pump, paint, "O" rings, copper washers, jubilee clips, fuel treatment additive, filters to name a few things necessary to get this engine spot on.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
25 Jul 2014 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

H

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
Donk107 said..

Hi Cisco

Regards Don

Yes it is quite similar, or rather your 2GM 20 is quite similar to the 2QM 15.

The GM series is the next generation and one would assume an improvement on the previous. The governor housing and assembly is more compact.

The 2GM20 is not 20 HP. It is 18 HP.

Google it up. There is lots of info on them and I believe pdf downloads of manuals etc.

Cheers Cisco.

Hi Cisco

I think my 2GM20 is only 16 hp

I looked on the net and I found a fair bit of information on mine but not a lot on yours

Regards Don

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
25 Jul 2014 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

You got off lightly cisco!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
26 Jul 2014 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
You got off lightly cisco!

Tell me about it. Nothing I bought today was from a chandlers.

It was all from the shops where the farmers shop and they are lousy bastards so I got the best prices.

Money well spent though. This donk will run sweet when I have finished with it.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
26 Jul 2014 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

Hi Cisco

I think my 2GM20 is only 16 hp

I looked on the net and I found a fair bit of information on mine but not a lot on yours

Regards Don

Hey Don,

I am sure yours is 18 HP.

For my engine I have downloaded the sales brochure, owner's manual and complete workshop manual. I am sure the same is available on the net for your engine all for free.

Don't be conned into paying an ebayer $20 for a pdf download of the same thing. Just be quite specific with your google search and you will find what you want.

If you come up against a brick wall or want to talk about engine issues, private message me and I will see if I can help.

Cheers Cisco.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
26 Jul 2014 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Cisco

I had a bit of a look and It seems Yanmar have 2 ways of rating the 2GM20

The 1 hour maximum rating is 18.2 hp at 3600 rpm and the continuos rating is 16 hp at 3400 rpm so I guess it depends on which rating you want to use when comparing it to other engines

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jul 2014 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Cisco

I had a bit of a look and It seems Yanmar have 2 ways of rating the 2GM20

The 1 hour maximum rating is 18.2 hp at 3600 rpm and the continuos rating is 16 hp at 3400 rpm so I guess it depends on which rating you want to use when comparing it to other engines

Regards Don

My Red motor would out weight your Yanmar it may have 20 hp but add the extra weight Id be much the same as you Donk then add the redesign of the
Sailmaster compared to mine Id say you would have better Hull speed
Im off to the boat and remove all my ropes out of the port side cockpit locker and see if I can fit down in there and make my way through to the engine bay from the rear

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
26 Jul 2014 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

I normally run mine at around 2200 rpm which gives me approx 5 knots

It would go a bit faster at higher rpm but the noise of the motor annoys me compared to the silence when saiing so I try to keep it as quite as possible

The funny thing is on a power boat the noise of a outboard doesn't bother me at all, but with the sail boat where the inboard diesel is quieter, for some reason it does

If you go down into the locker make sure you take your phone with you to call someone to drag you out as sometimes you can get in but struggle to get out again

I found this out when I lay down in the locker of my Spacesailer to replace a nut on the rudder Pintle bolt and could not get out by myself

All my wife could do was laugh and take a photo

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jul 2014 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

This reminds me of a tale one of my old Boss once told me after he closed the garage and worked from home.
A mate came around and used his car jack in the drive way . He was under there for a while and my ex bosses wife came home from shopping .
As she walked passed the person under the car she though it was her husband and grabbed him on the gonads and said some thing like hi Big boy as the guy under the car tried to sit up and bumped his head . She then realized it was not her Husband

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Jul 2014 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Cleaned my engine and bilge and start cleaning it all up and lots of paint and sound proofing
Also wired in a bilge pump

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
27 Jul 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Big weekend , painted 1 hull , painting the other next weekend , fixed kite raceboard , and rebuilt carbon twin tip kiteboard.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

very nice rattle head Wish I could paint like that

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Deleted

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

In my boat thats storage and also engine excess In in the middle of making a removable panel so I can gain good access to the rear of the engine it did have a bunk in there but not any more .
I can now get to any thing in the engine bay being a mechanic and an old one at that means a lot .

It was the same as the starboard side but Ive removed the bunk and will untilize the port side as storage and engine excess .
Ill make a panel thats removable not every one taste but its mine .and I have no regrets whats so ever. Also behind that bulk head in the photo is a lot of wasted space that Ill make use of with light weight storage

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
In my boat thats storage and also engine excess In in the middle of making a removable panel so I can gain good access to the rear of the engine it did have a bunk in there but not any more .
I can now get to any thing in the engine bay being a mechanic and an old one at that means a lot .

Hi HG

I had a better look and worked it out and deleted my previous post but thanks for clarifying it

On mine engine access to anywhere other than the front of the engine is difficult and It would be tempting to cut a massive hole in the cockpit floor to provide access from above through a waterproof hatch

What does the vertical clear looking hose that is attached to the PVC elbow do ?

How did you go with the other stuff you had planned for the weekend

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Deleted

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Jul 2014 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

the manual bilge pump Donk its fitted inside the port side bunk (now storage area) the nose next to it is a temp electric bilge pump hose . The hose with the bitter end on the right hand side is the fuel tank breath hose I just tee in the ewlectric bilge pump hose into the maunual bilge pump out let for now . Ive a bronze through hull for the electric bilge pump outlet later . This boats never had a electric bilge pump in its life till now.
The over things I did mainly cleaned up and bought some stuff home the bilge has not had a clean for many years I spent hours on it and have lots more hour to do in there. When Ive finish cleaning up the fiberglass Ive cut I think Ill take to the interior with a small pressure cleaner I sprayed the forward cabin for mold as well to day and move most thing out of there a couple more car load to bring home yet . I have one small water leak around the port side front Stanchion area that I have to stop once thats done I can tidy up the forward cabin. Just wish I had 4 weeks annual leave up my sleeve right now which I don't.
I am thinking of lining the forward cabin with 50/50 bottom half western red cedar and the balance in the sign board like I used in the main cabin roof. Add some cushions and make a V berth and used the stern port side bunk as my storage .

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
27 Jul 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful Rattlehead. Do you have a lot of experience spraying?

Oh, and does your head rattle because you spray without a mask?

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
27 Jul 2014 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Mate of mine painted it he is an automotive painter by trade , but I did all the prep work ,I have sprayed a heap of cars though In the past.

And no i wear a mask ,that 2k paint is nasty stuff.

theace
NSW, 70 posts
28 Jul 2014 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,Removed the generator/regulator because the amp gauge has been reading overcharge for a couple of weeks. Had it tested by auto electrician he replaced the bearings ( because he can charge more) and he found it was working perfectly OK.I will reinstall it tomorrow and see what happens.If it still reads high what is the next thing to check.catch you later

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
29 Jul 2014 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got the 'washboard' cabin door finished.

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
29 Jul 2014 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

I got my cabin doors on too, as well as the vent doors.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
1 Aug 2014 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theace said..
Hi guys,Removed the generator/regulator because the amp gauge has been reading overcharge for a couple of weeks. Had it tested by auto electrician he replaced the bearings ( because he can charge more) and he found it was working perfectly OK.I will reinstall it tomorrow and see what happens.If it still reads high what is the next thing to check.catch you later

When you say generator do you mean generator or is it an alternator?

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin