Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
seabird
QLD, 227 posts
9 Nov 2014 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Had a great sail yesterday Tangalooma to Moolooaba had a beam reach in 12-15 kts for most of the day..
In Moolooaba for the week if anybody wants to come for a sail

waterpistol
NSW, 125 posts
9 Nov 2014 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Spending a few weeks on Lake illawarra sailing under the full moon and enjoying the water.

Roystein
1 posts
9 Nov 2014 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Motored from cabbage tree to redcliffe jetty, lunch with cousins and sailed back on a quartering run...can't complain.

I think if the Jetty pontoons were upgraded and up sized it could become quite a popular day trip destination swith the pubs caf?s and restaurants that are establishing themselves along that strip.

As it is one of the two pontoons is "closed" the other could accommodate two boats and has seen better days

Ramona
NSW, 7493 posts
10 Nov 2014 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Come off the slips. Sailed down the creek on a broad reach with just the mainsail cover towing my mate on his paddle board. Fresh Southerly. Always pleasantly surprised how satisfying it is to sail with a clean bottom! Just went back to my mooring. Six more Saturdays to go sailing this week.
[URL=.html] [/URL]

Ramona
NSW, 7493 posts
10 Nov 2014 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waterpistol said..
Spending a few weeks on Lake illawarra sailing under the full moon and enjoying the water.

Spider 24 waterpistol? Lake Illawarra is definitely one of the best bits of sailing water around and Port Kembla club is probably the best club I have ever been involved with.

Place would be ideal for Etchells/Dragons/Diamonds/Solings etc.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
10 Nov 2014 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

Guitz said..

HG02 said..
Guitz
If its wooden its goodn

Yep, I've definitely got a bit of a thing about wood, relics especially! Here's where it all started as the name suggests............
The boat is from 1956, the Maton, 1955 as am I a bit of a relic.

[URL= .html]

Years ago I had a maton much the same, only I had mine on my bike and had a slight alteration with a road bend steel Armco and the Maton save me but at a cost of being totaled

The neck on my Maton is Queensland Maple, lovely tone wood but weak along the grain, and years ago a friend had it perched aginst the door for a photo..... wind gust, door moves, guitar neck broken. So repair #1. It was the mid 70's and we where on a trip in the Vic high country, so a trip into Omeo for a clamp and wood glue! Here is a pic of me working on the guit in the Nunniong High Plains from a CD i put out for the Frankston Guitar Festival.

As time went by the repair wasn't holding so i fitted two Honduras Mahogony blocks going across grain.

radar
NSW, 86 posts
10 Nov 2014 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

we went for a sail on sunday from bonnells bay to pulbah island ,had a real fresh 25 knot southerly on our way out and a
15 knot southeasterly on our way back ejoyed by all
the top pick is real sailing and the bottom one is not real sailing if you know what I mean

brizzydave
406 posts
10 Nov 2014 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

That seat is as long as my vessel.

radar
NSW, 86 posts
10 Nov 2014 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

thats our rear lounge dave also a good place to sleep in the tropics, one day.
the seawind 1000s have a seat either side of the barby but we decided
to have one long lounge with the barby on the stb side works great

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
10 Nov 2014 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

i assume that forward tilted slip position is so you can clean and antifoul the bottom of the keel, Ramona. nice.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Nov 2014 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..

and the guy with bare feet has no undies on either Brizzy
just visualize a see saw mounted on the back of your hood Brizzy Ha Ha

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Nov 2014 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Guitz said..

HG02 said..

Guitz said..

HG02 said..
Guitz
If its wooden its goodn

Yep, I've definitely got a bit of a thing about wood, relics especially! Here's where it all started as the name suggests............
The boat is from 1956, the Maton, 1955 as am I a bit of a relic.

[URL= .html]

Years ago I had a maton much the same, only I had mine on my bike and had a slight alteration with a road bend steel Armco and the Maton save me but at a cost of being totaled

The neck on my Maton is Queensland Maple, lovely tone wood but weak along the grain, and years ago a friend had it perched aginst the door for a photo..... wind gust, door moves, guitar neck broken. So repair #1. It was the mid 70's and we where on a trip in the Vic high country, so a trip into Omeo for a clamp and wood glue! Here is a pic of me working on the guit in the Nunniong High Plains from a CD i put out for the Frankston Guitar Festival.

As time went by the repair wasn't holding so i fitted two Honduras Mahogony blocks going across grain.

My Maton ended up in many pieces as IOhad it tied to my stomach going around a armoc bend at 90 mile an hour only to find Id left the side stand down ( to many beers the night before) there was a cutting in the armco for a farmers gate I didn't have time to lift the stand up tried so I aimed the bike between the armco and the bare wire fence the Maton saved me but I couldn't save the maton

brizzydave
406 posts
10 Nov 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
brizzydave said..

and the guy with bare feet has no undies on either Brizzy
just visualize a see saw mounted on the back of your hood Brizzy Ha Ha

I just got the first bit. Hahaha.

radar
NSW, 86 posts
11 Nov 2014 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

cought freeballin again buga

Ramona
NSW, 7493 posts
11 Nov 2014 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
i assume that forward tilted slip position is so you can clean and antifoul the bottom of the keel, Ramona. nice.

Actually its just the balance point but it is handy for that!

brizzydave
406 posts
14 Nov 2014 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

What do you think spongeblob? (courtesy of windows paint editor)

brizzydave
406 posts
14 Nov 2014 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

One for you Spongey....what do you reckon?

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
14 Nov 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
What do you think spongeblob? (courtesy of windows paint editor)

That's a small boat on a large ocean.

When you get the hang of using that windows paint editor thingy you can reverse that and end up with a big boat on a small ocean, just think that could be a real cheap Bav, Ben or Jen you could have. .... here have a rum

brizzydave
406 posts
14 Nov 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah ...I know :-) was hoping you would all zoom in a bit. Sorry. The only way to make them look semi realistic is if they are a long way away or blurry etc. My phone camera captures 20 zillion mega pixels too. Good but bad. Good call though HG.I'll fix it up.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
15 Nov 2014 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

Having owned "Second Wind" for seven months I have at last had a chance to have a sail on her.

The trip up from Lake Macquarie to Bundaberg as I recall only afforded one opportunity to turn the engine off and sail for about half an hour near Tacking Point.

Due to circumstances, weather and opportunity it has not been until last Tuesday that I have been able to get a sail out of her.

My sister in law is visiting from Switzerland and we couldn't not take her out for a spin on the yacht.

My task was to row out to the yacht, haul the anchor and put her alongside the marina so the ladies could step aboard easily and then we could enjoy the yacht. Enjoying the yacht is what it is all about. "Second Wind" is a Lotus 9.2 which is designed by Alan Wright and built by Lotus Yachts N.Z. and the design and build has an excellent reputation in New Zealand. There are not many of them in Australia and they were never designed to a race rule. They were designed to be the best 30 foot yacht that money could buy.

As far as accommodation, comfort and handling as a boat goes, that was proved on our trip up to Qld which was motoring all the way.

This Tuesday proved to me what a fantastic yacht I have got hold of.

When sailing out of the Burnett River you are 50 miles from an anchorage North or South so if you are not intending to spend at least two days out, you exit the river, have some fun sailing or fishing and come back in.

The B.O.M. forecast for the day was 10 knots NE and I reckon we had 6 to 8 knots. Over 8 knots and there should be some "white caps". Look at the pics and you will hardly see any "white caps".

We left the channel at the third mark past the South Head Light, rolled out the head sail, turned the engine off and sucked it to see what we would get.

At the time of that day there was not much of a tidal effect and the GPS gave us an SOG of between 3.5 to 4.5 knots for the whole time we were out for 4 hours and that was towing the dinghy.

Do you think I am stoked with this yacht. You better believe it. I can hardly wait to get her out in 20 to 25 knots of breeze.

Edit: - The photos were taken with a $60 water proof to 3m camera bought at Aldi which you can also buy at AusPost shops with a different brand name. Top bit of kit.

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
15 Nov 2014 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Cisco,
Have you thought about lifting your headsail tack so the sail flies above the safety lines to get 100% of the sail working.
If you have spare height to lift the sail you can extend the tack with rope back down to the furler. Ensure you take a wrap around the furler so the sail stays hard onto the furler.
My headsail was the same until I lifted it, you will never have to 'skirt' the sail again.

Ramona
NSW, 7493 posts
15 Nov 2014 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

I doubt whether that sail could be raised higher. The usual routine is to have a sail use the whole of the headsail groove. Close hauled the sail would probably be inside the guardrails. Sailing free it would not matter much.

Impressive quality photos from such a cheap camera, isn't technology wonderful? I will be expecting a few underwater shots of your mooring shortly.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
15 Nov 2014 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

It is only "waterproof" to 3m so don't hold your breath waiting for mooring shots. It has 8 megapixel resolution which I think is more than adequate for amateur photography.

The furler has not the scope to raise the sail any higher but close hauled the sail does sit inside the life lines. It is Furlex I believe and the foil has two luff grooves. I am just wondering how I can make use of that feature.

Any ideas??

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
15 Nov 2014 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

The tack and clew points should be kept as close as possible to the deck for best sail shape.

The 2 luff grooves will enable you to perfect headsail peels.

With your genoa furling in anti-clockwise, use the starboard groove to make initial furling easier with less of a fold along the luff.

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
15 Nov 2014 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..
The tack and clew points should be kept as close as possible to the deck for best sail shape.

The 2 luff grooves will enable you to perfect headsail peels.

With your genoa furling in anti-clockwise, use the starboard groove to make initial furling easier with less of a fold along the luff.

Hi FRd
I've got the same setup a Cisco and have often mused how I could use the twin grooves. Sorry, but I don't get what you mean - can you elaborate?
regards,
Allan

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
15 Nov 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
One for you Spongey....what do you reckon?

Love it Brizzy !
Heaps better than the standard dog house flopped on top.
Ive copied it to my paint program.
I used to think the 23 was small but the 20 is so bloody tiny,
but thats what I love about them.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
15 Nov 2014 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
It is only "waterproof" to 3m so don't hold your breath waiting for mooring shots. It has 8 megapixel resolution which I think is more than adequate for amateur photography.

The furler has not the scope to raise the sail any higher but close hauled the sail does sit inside the life lines. It is Furlex I believe and the foil has two luff grooves. I am just wondering how I can make use of that feature.

Any ideas??

you can pull a different headsail up the leeward track and set it with seperate sheets .then pull down the other headsail . i have the same same set up , but never bothered doing it . .......its a racing thing .

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
15 Nov 2014 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

or you could run dual jibs for downwind cruising, assuming you have two independent halyards.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
15 Nov 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

fun little vid of our sail to pittwater a couple of weeks ago with a groovy tune...

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Nov 2014 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
fun little vid of our sail to pittwater a couple of weeks ago with a groovy tune...

enjoyed that thank you

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog