Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
BlueMoon
866 posts
14 May 2015 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Went sailing in Pittwater with the Missus (both new to sailing). Started off with a nice breeze and only had headsail up.
Not too long before it was blowing 30+ knts. Missus said "this is scary, we're going too fast". I said "Darl we're
doing about 5MPH" I suppose it was a good job we didn't have the mainsail up too (need lazyjacks). Envy you blokes
who know how to do it all. But, we'll get there.

Good one SS, I envy those people who can actually get their spouse onto the boat! she gets seasick just thinking about getting seasick!

Awesome video Doc!!

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
14 May 2015 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

HI BM. Yes she's not only learning to sail with me but works along side me to get the boat 'just right' how lucky am I !!!.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
14 May 2015 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Went sailing in Pittwater with the Missus (both new to sailing). Started off with a nice breeze and only had headsail up.
Not too long before it was blowing 30+ knts. Missus said "this is scary, we're going too fast". I said "Darl we're
doing about 5MPH" I suppose it was a good job we didn't have the mainsail up too (need lazyjacks). Envy you blokes
who know how to do it all. But, we'll get there.

Great to hear, Sam. Good on ya!

You could probably have just headed downwind and your wife would have said to start the engine as the wind had died off.

Wife and I were in exactly the same place (not Pittwater - on the learning curve) about 2.5 years ago. I remember tacking down river west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, with just the smaller headsail up in light air. Wife is at the helm and I'm on the sheets. "Ready about?" "Ready" "Helm to lee"... Cockatoo Island keeps getting closer, and closer. "Turn the f*&^ing wheel!". "It's over all the way!" WTF? Cement wall getting close. I tighten the jib sheet as tight as I can and very slowly the boat finally turns and tacks through the wind. We probably missed the cement by a couple of meters. I learned the value of the feared mainsail that day (or the larger genoa which imparts force further aft).

Gotta love the learning process!

Maybe you could ask one of these sailing guns on this forum to come out with you one day? Buy them lunch and a beer, ask them a million questions.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
15 May 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for relating that DrRog. Wifey is a great girl but suffers dyslexia real bad so trying to figure out
that you push the tiller to Port to turn Stbd means your'e on the rocks
before you know it. Not a problem though we've been together for so long
that its all 'second nature' now, anyway it adds to the 'colour' of the
learning curve. We do have a local friend who'll come out with us, if I can
get him away from his project ( building a paddlewheeler) So there's hope yet
DrRog.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
17 May 2015 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Solo sail number 3!
Lovely winters day top temp 17.9 degrees!
I'm use to 30 degrees in the winter! Brrrrrrr
Anyway found a nice ancorage for the night 3 metres at high tide will just about bump the bottom at low.
Hopefuly whiting and calamari for dinner!

Y

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 May 2015 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

I think you better put her in the other thread what did I do to my boat today South Ace and do some brite work

southace
SA, 4776 posts
17 May 2015 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

What bright work ho2?

I just washed the boat and went sailing?

didnt even go to the bottle shop! Just cast the lines and hoisted the sails!

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
17 May 2015 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

You are doing with your boat southace. What better thing can there be??

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
18 May 2015 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Spent Saturday and Sunday on the water and overnight at Queenscliff. Have been waiting for a break in the weather and this weekend was a beuty, motor sailing on our way home complete with a pod of dolphins near Point King, and sailing about two or three knots just lazing about during the day. Evening meal and a few glasses of red in the marina that is $15 more expensive than last year. Might take the dingy and pick up one of those Parks moorings next trip.

Lunch On Board

[URL=.html] [/URL]

Brewed a cuppa for my daughter.

[URL=.html] [/URL]

Evening Glass Off

[URL=.html] [/URL]

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2015 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
What bright work ho2?

I just washed the boat and went sailing?

didnt even go to the bottle shop! Just cast the lines and hoisted the sails!

That looks like some teak on the side rail near the stanchion

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2015 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

So Ho2 and what do you suggest I do with it?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 May 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
So Ho2 and what do you suggest I do with it?

some feast watsons wood cleaner a good scrub and then if it needs it a sand and then apply Sikens Light Oak HLSe

and when your finished have a beer on me and or a Captain Morgan

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2015 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

I have too much work to do below decks to start worrying about scrubbing timbers ,

The timber has been like that since the 90s and as far as I am concerned it can stay like that! Besides I get enough complements about the boat as it is!

Personally if I had the money I would replace all exterior timbers with polished stainless! Haha

Crusoe
QLD, 1195 posts
18 May 2015 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Guitz said..

Spent Saturday and Sunday on the water and overnight at Queenscliff. Have been waiting for a break in the weather and this weekend was a beuty, motor sailing on our way home complete with a pod of dolphins near Point King, and sailing about two or three knots just lazing about during the day. Evening meal and a few glasses of red in the marina that is $15 more expensive than last year. Might take the dingy and pick up one of those Parks moorings next trip.

Lunch On Board

[URL= .html]

Brewed a cuppa for my daughter.

[URL= .html]

Evening Glass Off

[URL= .html]

Living the dream Glitz with the 3 F's. Food, Female company and Fair Weather. Nice photos (yes I realise it's your Daughter)

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
18 May 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, living the dream...........I have been a lounge chair sailor for long enough! Luckily my wife has also been dreaming along with me,...... she even announced that we where expecting child number 5 on a boat we wanted to buy way back in 94, so now the boat has finally arrived, we are certainly going to make the most of it.
We are currently debating the pro's and cons of fly the pirate flag!! but I think It's a bit irelevant, good for a bit of fun every now and then. I reckon we will settle for the Red Ensign along with the Australian Aboriginal Flag as the way to go.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2015 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

what make is she Guitz?

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
18 May 2015 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

southace said..
what make is she Guitz?

I'm not sure of the design. She was built by Jack Gutierrez from Brighton in 1956 and is wooden, made of Tallowood so is heavy, 6 ton at 30 feet long with a drought of 3'6"
Here is a look at her out of the water.
[URL= .html]

and in
[URL= .html]

She has lead built into the keel and a copper U sleeve the full length of the keel. A very well built hull with no caulking, the seams where " bruised" ie, a concave profile was pressed into each plank edge after a perfectly planed join so the timber hull would take up for a watertight seal. I am doing some digging around to try and get info from previous owners from Sandringham and Brighton yacht clubs,....so far not much success.
And a pic from a recent sail

[URL= .html]

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
18 May 2015 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

She has a nice deep cockpit with a lot of room in the cabin.....just enough for me to have standing headroom at 5'9". With the Perkins 4108 she gets along at around 5 or 6 knots with a breeze and the revs around 1200. She is definitely a motorsailer as it takes a bit of a wind to get her moving. This is the first season I have sailed her and I expect the performance to improve a bit with some work on the tuning etc.
[URL=.html] [/URL]

TKNick
NSW, 123 posts
22 May 2015 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Leaving Jervis Bay Goose Winged bound for the Shoalhaven last Wednesday in light conditions.

nswsailor
NSW, 1434 posts
22 May 2015 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sailed from Gladstone today at 0700 and went north through The Narrows with 6" to spare.

Went almost to Pacific Creek but had to turn back because of 1m westerly waves and a dropping tide preventing entry over bar.

Now two bends up Maria Inlet in 4 to 7m UNTIL NEXT B>>>>Y WEDNESDAY DUE TO HIGH WINDS AND SEAS.

This voyage has been plagued with strong winds etc.

Will spend one night at Yeppoon on Wednesday to refuel and get fresh food/veg.

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
23 May 2015 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Nice spinnaker run from Rooney Point to Lady Musgrave a couple of weeks ago

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 May 2015 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

It was a nice balmy day (12 degrees max) so myself and my wife went for a quick sail down the Huon this afternoon

The sun was out for most of the afternoon and we had a nice breeze so all in all it was quite enjoyable

Regards Don

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
24 May 2015 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DAMA said..
Nice spinnaker run from Rooney Point to Lady Musgrave a couple of weeks ago

Nice spinny colour, DAMA. How are those floorboards holding up?

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
25 May 2015 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

A floorboards as good as gold Dr Rog!.

slothbag
7 posts
26 May 2015 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Sunset after a great afternoons sail last week on Pittwater.

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
26 May 2015 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

shortest trip ever
moved pens
about 100 m
Hobsons Bay YC
now facing north,cf south
old pen impossible in northerlies
we shall see

nswsailor
NSW, 1434 posts
27 May 2015 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Went from Great Keppel Island to Rosslyn Bay Marina in just just on two hours.

Seems they have a Croc problem here!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 May 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

crocs are slowly coming down the coast

BlueMoon
866 posts
27 May 2015 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

More on Top Hats....

nswsailor has been keeping us up-to-date on the Top Hat site about Sundowner a Top Hat 25 that has just completed tonight, a single-handed circumnavigation of Australia, Melbourne to Melbourne anti-clockwise.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
28 May 2015 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BlueMoon said..
More on Top Hats....

nswsailor has been keeping us up-to-date on the Top Hat site about Sundowner a Top Hat 25 that has just completed tonight, a single-handed circumnavigation of Australia, Melbourne to Melbourne anti-clockwise.

That would be Rob Lovelace? Missed his youtube videos since he stopped / slowed those. :(

Good on him!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog