Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
14 Jul 2015 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Needless to say I was very chuffed.

Well done Andy. Funny how the wind can pull your face into a grin like that.

Looks like Sufferers Paradox in the background there.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
14 Jul 2015 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

andy59 said..
Needless to say I was very chuffed.

Well done Andy. Funny how the wind can pull your face into a grin like that.

Looks like Sufferers Paradox in the background there.

Thanks Cisco yep nothing like a bit of breeze to put a smile on your dial. And yes, that is the famous Surfers "Paradox" and it is a paradox on so many levels

CoolRunnings
NSW, 159 posts
14 Jul 2015 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Is it safe to come back into the water yet?-Things have been a little hot under the collar on this forum lately!

The little tugboat is getting close to the finish line now.(does a boat ever become finished!)

I now have the barrier coat done on the hull and then a couple of follow up antifoul coats will then complete the job under the waterline. Will fire up the engine for the first time in the next day or so.

Four years in the making and hope to launch next week-Hopefully it won't make the front page news here. C.R.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
14 Jul 2015 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

We are looking forward to the full photo shoot on this one CR.

I just love little putt putt boats. Here is mine.

CoolRunnings
NSW, 159 posts
14 Jul 2015 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Apologies on this one, as I should have posted in 'What did you do' instead of 'Where did you go' today. Such is my tired eyes this time of night.

Judging by those sleek lines,Yours could well be faster than mine Cisco.

Remember this, two boats travelling in the same direction-it's a race!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
14 Jul 2015 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Cool, Runnings she looks the goods .......... well done and happy boating

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
15 Jul 2015 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Jo-de7 is finally on the way north. Had 2 great days sailing. Mooloolaba to Garry's anchorage in 8 hour on Monday and Garry's to Bundaberg in 9 hours yesterday. Nothing like sailing north in westerly winds. Having a lay day today in Bundy, then off to Pancake tomorrow.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
15 Jul 2015 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

hmm, I'd like to be sailing north at the moment.............
Not about where I went on my boat today but saw this on Marine traffic today. I think he has been turning off his transeiver and turning it on for a short period...... imagine though for a minute if you could just take off and overfly a nasty bit of water around a cape and just continue sailing. I used to read a book to my kids when they where small, called The Zephyr, about a boy who could
make his yacht fly!

[URL= .html]

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
15 Jul 2015 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Making good time jode

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
15 Jul 2015 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Guitz said...
hmm, I'd like to be sailing north at the moment.............
Not about where I went on my boat today but saw this on Marine traffic today. I think he has been turning off his transeiver and turning it on for a short period...... imagine though for a minute if you could just take off and overfly a nasty bit of water around a cape and just continue sailing. I used to read a book to my kids when they where small, called The Zephyr, about a boy who could
make his yacht fly!

[URL= .html]

Ha ha

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
15 Jul 2015 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoolRunnings said...
Apologies on this one, as I should have posted in 'What did you do' instead of 'Where did you go' today. Such is my tired eyes this time of night.

Judging by those sleek lines,Yours could well be faster than mine Cisco.

Remember this, two boats travelling in the same direction-it's a race!

Those 4 years will be worth every minute when she hits the water

Crusoe
QLD, 1192 posts
15 Jul 2015 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Isle De Pines, New Caledonia. Sorry the picture is on its side but it is over the horizon :)

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
15 Jul 2015 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Well today I sailed from Windy Bay on Haselwood Island,

past Whitehaven Beach

then Hamilton Island through the Fitzalan Passage

across the Whitsunday Passage

then up the west sides of the Molle Islands

and into Airlie Beach.

Writing this onboard SEAKA, full post up on www.sailblogs.com/member/seaka

Cool

This is Hill Inlet looking along Whitehaven Beach.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
16 Jul 2015 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

past Whitehaven Beach

and into Airlie Beach.

Cool

Looks like a postcard shot NSW. Are you sure you were really there?

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
16 Jul 2015 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

Hill Inlet is where Keith Williams sent his landing barge with front end loaders and tip trucks in the middle of the night to get sand for his beaches on Hamilton Island back in the mid 80s.

I know because the barge woke us up in the wee hours when we were anchored in his incomplete boat harbour at the time.

He was/is a nasty bugger.

Gravy7
NSW, 242 posts
16 Jul 2015 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

It's OK to use the past tense Cisco. Keith Williams died in 2011.
www.theaustralian.com.au/nocookies?a=A.flavipes
For all his faults, he had a fabulous collection of vintage motorbikes that he used to keep on the island and I got an autographed copy of the auction catalogue when the majority of the collection was put up for auction by Christies in 1994. I couldn't afford any of the bikes.

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
20 Jul 2015 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

How it was planned

How it turned out on the return

simplicity
NSW, 23 posts
21 Jul 2015 1:29AM
Thumbs Up

Nice little winter sail from the mooring in Port Hacking to Balmain in Sydney Harbour (with a lunch stop in Spring Cove).
A bit nervous squeezing this big boat into a tiny and awkward marina berth but it all worked out fine.
Will spend the next few weeks here getting the main hatch replaced and fixing interior woodwork damaged by the leaking hatch.
Will post a few pics on the "What did you go on your sailing boat today?" thread as it goes along so you can share my pain.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Jul 2015 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Crusoe said..
Isle De Pines, New Caledonia. Sorry the picture is on its side but it is over the horizon :)

A PHOTO WORTH TURNING

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
21 Jul 2015 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Nice little spot in the south group of Whitsunday isles

CanAussie14
48 posts
21 Jul 2015 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DAMA said..

My wife and I with another couple are considering a bareboat charter up there sometime in the next few months, your pic might just have me sold on the idea!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Jul 2015 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CanAussie14 said...
DAMA said..

My wife and I with another couple are considering a bareboat charter up there sometime in the next few months, your pic might just have me sold on the idea!

Dama before you book make sure that the charter company alow there boat to the southern group some dont

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
23 Jul 2015 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

I think this was for you CanAussie14, a tip from HG02,
I think Cumberland allow their charter boats south to Shaw Island.

DAMA

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
25 Jul 2015 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

nswsailor said..

past Whitehaven Beach

and into Airlie Beach.

Cool

Looks like a postcard shot NSW. Are you sure you were really there?

Sure was!

Today I sailed from west Double Bay to Little Jonah Bay in a dead flat sea [at around 2+ knots].

Tomorrow we go through the Gloucester Passage and thence to Bowen on Monday.

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
25 Jul 2015 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Dama said, Nice little spot in the south group of Whitsunday isles

And if that is Thomas Island its beyond the Charter boat limit. [Sorry CanAussie14]

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jul 2015 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Chartered a cat in the Whits a while ago took my kids and there partners with me they loved it

this one wanted a free feed

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jul 2015 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Low tide was 6am couldnt clear patterson till 830 am nice day on the bAy

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
29 Jul 2015 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

After spending 5 days on the hardstand at Commera replacing the prop, prop shaft, installing a PSS seal, new depth and speed transducers and antifouling I was proud as punch. So I invited my inlaws to join my wife, Debbie and I on a leisurely cruise back down the Coomera River to Southport.

As we happily motored past Sanctuary Cove, I, navigating of my new raymarine e7 chartplotter, noticed the new depth sounder was registering 2 metres, it was low tide and I commented that, because i didnt have an operational depth instrument on the way up the river I was surprised at how shallow the river actually was.

With blind faith in the little 7 inch screen and the clearly marked channel I motored on at a reduced speed. Then suddenly, metres away from the channel marker we ran aground. At this point I decided it was an appropriate time to make a cup of tea. 'Don't worry' i said to my inlaws 'its a very low tide today, by the time we have a cup of tea and some biscuits we will float of.' Which we did.

Emboldened by my success in floating off the mud I continued up the river, with a sharp eye on the depth sounder. I was just starting to feel comforatble when the bottom rose suddenly and we scraped some new antifoul off the bottom of the keel. But, I didn't stop I just kept motoring on until, you guessed it, I ran agound again.

As we boiled the kettle for another cup of tea I was struck by a brilliant idea, I decided to pull the chart out and plot our position. My inlaws were suitably impressd as I plotted the lat and long on my chart but it was then, with them looking over my shoulder that the horrible truth dawned on me. I sat there looking at the chart, desperately trying to think of a way out of this mess that didn't include me admitting that I had sent us up the shallow north arm of the Coomera River rather than down the main channel.

In the end there was nothing to do but admit my mistake, and offer to take them back to the boatworks at Coomera where Deb could drive them home, because the way things were looking I would not be arriving in Southport before 11pm.

Finally after another cup of tea and some bikkies we floated off our second grounding of the day and motored back without incident to Coomera. It was dark when we arrived but I could see the outline of the travel lift and confidently tied up at the floating dock in front. We said our goodbyes and had a good laugh about the unexpected adventure and I casted off and backed out from the dock. I had backed out half way accross the river and was engageing forward gear when i glanced accross at the massive sand pumping vessel, The Frederick, which i had seen dumping sandbags to make the artificial reef at main beach. It was at that moment that the second horrible truth of the day dawned on me, I remembered sailing past the Frederick on our earlier trip down the river, Oh **** I had dropped them off at the Riviera yard.
Just then the phone rang, it was Deb, "the gate's locked" she said "we cant get out."

It was time for the second humiliating admission of the day, "yes" I said "I've dropped you off at the wrong place I will come back and get you."

Happily the rest of the story is only remarkable in that it is unremarkable, I was able to deposit my passengers at the correct location, and even went with them to ensure they were safely out of the Boatworks compound.

When I got back to the boat I had a little talk to her and apologised for being so inconsiderate as to not properly prepare for the journey, no matter how small and simple it seemed, and for scraping all that new antifoul of her bottom. Then we had a wonderful motor/sail back to southport under the full moon.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jul 2015 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Made it down to the other end of the bay and caught a couple of dolphins dancing on my bow

[/
The gimbal stove is a great place to sit a full cuppa on

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
29 Jul 2015 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

great shots HG. I must have missed something have you stepped the mast yet?

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog