Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jul 2015 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Not yet andy around november
Ill continue doing stuff on a mooring till then
Might be earlier see how the boat dollars go out to sea

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
29 Jul 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

cool HG .... whats the plan ATM ?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jul 2015 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

Old boat was getting home sick for her old country SandS.. Lots of little jobs to finish off and the the times right rigging and mast

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
29 Jul 2015 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

thats a good plan !!!! much better to have the steadying sails on the trip around to WP ........ so your rigging somwhere in sth port phillip before the trip around ?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jul 2015 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

thats a good plan !!!! much better to have the steadying sails on the trip around to WP ........ so your rigging somwhere in sth port phillip before the trip around ?

Ill stand the mast probably william's town and sail port philip bay till next winter then take her round to western port SandS thats my thoughts at the moment.
The deck needs a proper paint job sanded primed and roll and tipped plus a non skid on the walk areas.
Ive still lots of finishing to do which Ill do every weekend till I motor to williams town

thats how close they were to the bob stay SandS if your loking for a christmas presnt for me and Driftwood a Water proof go pro would be really nice Mate! friend !
buddy!

Night Driftwood can't tuck you in from here

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
30 Jul 2015 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

i recon that's real good plan !!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Jul 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

i recon that's real good plan !!

its an about time plan SandS

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
31 Jul 2015 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

SandS said..

Old boat was getting home sick for her old country SandS.. Lots of little jobs to finish off and the the times right rigging and mast

She is a beauty Hugh Grant

CanAussie14
48 posts
15 Aug 2015 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't go anywhere fast today. I did however practice heaving to as I haven't tried it before; I was inspired by the MOB thread, but I knew I needed to learn how to do this anyway as part of becoming a more competent sailor.

Well, turns out it's not hard to do and it's every bit as effective at calming everything down as I read. My little Endeavor behaved really well and took to the heave to very easily, and she came out of it just as well.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
17 Aug 2015 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Completed a 60 NM round trip all under motor out to the islands just to get these shots of the sunset!

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
17 Aug 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Wow... that is glorious!!

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
17 Aug 2015 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Went for a sail to the other side of the Harbour. Never made it because we got side-tracked half way with a big pod of dolphins...

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
18 Aug 2015 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
Went for a sail to the other side of the Harbour. Never made it because we got side-tracked half way with a big pod of dolphins...

Nicely produced video, well done.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
18 Aug 2015 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Completed a 60 NM round trip all under motor out to the islands just to get these shots of the sunset!

Spectacular Southace. Nice vid Dr Rog

southace
SA, 4761 posts
18 Aug 2015 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Apparently according to the local post its saying there was some sort of arroara "spelling" happening on the night I took the pics or perhaps the night after!

Mate did say he could see aliens in the clouds and I kind of agreed although I then seen many other objects forming in them clouds! (Note check the mates choclates next time before consuming)!

Sad fact was my digital camera replacement was with Japan post on its way to Australia although it arrived today it's going back to Japan with a failed LCD !

slammin
QLD, 991 posts
25 Aug 2015 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

The weather has been terrible since Easter. Nice days are midweek.

My 4yo demanded we go out. I told him that there was a chance of rain, he responded "but we have a cabin we can just play there if it's raining." Well you can't argue with that logic. So we planned to launch on Fri arvo. Then just myself and the 4yo left Yorkeys Knob on Sat morning for cairns whete we would meet the rest of the family who were at basketball. Weather was beautiful, tempting us to pull the main up but singlehandedly managing the boat and 4yo could turn ugly so we played it safe.

Once we docked at marlin marina we found this in Fogarty park.

We went for a motor around Trinity Inlet after lunch with the family for a chance to troll thru the moorings and pilings. No luck but a nice little expedition b4 we headed back to the marina for showers then a night out at the esplanade.

The next day we awoke early to a very overcast sky. So we left for yorkeys knob early. We were chased by a cloud for half an hour.

Once it finally caught us we had a complete whiteout and for probably the 1st time I really appreciated the GPS. We arrived at yorkeys just as there was a break in the rain so quickly got the boat on the trailer. Not the best of weekends but it was better than jobs around the home! Oh yeah I did get to test out my new switch for the fresh water inline pump. It's a blue led which lights when on. It was OK, especially for $3 delivered.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
25 Aug 2015 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

The red and white Naiad Rib in the Cairns Marina you can see was my office for 6 months last year.... It only has 4 x 300 hp Suzuki outboards!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
25 Aug 2015 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hey slammin, great adventures for your 4 yo. I bet he was stoked with the chopper in the park.

I was on HMAS Barbette in Cairns 1972-73 and then back in Cairns 1994 to 1997 chartering my 42 ft Peterson out to Upolo Cay, Fitzroy Island and Thetford Reef and a couple of trips around Double Island. I know your country but the landscape (social, business etc) may have changed a bit since then.

Very nice photographic essay. Keep up the good work.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
27 Aug 2015 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hoppeing for Moon light I did atempt to go trough The Narows HW 19:36 (Gladstone-Curtis Island). Moon was shaded by clouds, but all markers were "light emitting", and I did managed to Pacific Cr. for the night. Funy thing with seting sun light reflection on the water, in the centre of the pics water apeares to end on "sandy beach" but it is ilusion. I did went trough/over it.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
28 Aug 2015 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, Leeke's beach on Great Kaple north side for tonight. Old resourt front was to crowded and Putney is shalow (soclose to back packers camp/pub) fortunatly "reality" (un queststionable force of the mind) made me to anchor on North side.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
29 Aug 2015 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Port Clinton tonight.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
30 Aug 2015 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Went for a 10 NM sail today solo . Tucked up in a bay now with lamb leg in the oven!

Meg1122
QLD, 285 posts
30 Aug 2015 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Went for a 10 NM sail today solo . Tucked up in a bay now with lamb leg in the oven!

Sounds like the perfect day Southace...reminds me of when I used to go out sailing in borderline conditions with some regular crew, our motto was 'Sail it til it breaks' :), we'd mostly be the only yacht out bashing about with, usually, far too much rag up and we'd sail into port at the end of an awesome day, having survived, with the smell of a lamb roast coming from the galley :)...those were the days :).

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
30 Aug 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

A tip I heard of for roasting lamb. An Oirish thing I think.

Whip up egg white with salt until like merange. Spread that over the lamb to cover it. Roast the lamb for 3/4 to 1 hour. Remove from oven, set on bench to allow lamb to self cook for another hour.

Remove crusty covering, slice lamb and gobble.

I have not tried it yet but hear it is excellent.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
31 Aug 2015 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

A tip I heard of for roasting lamb. An Oirish thing I think.

Whip up egg white with salt until like merange. Spread that over the lamb to cover it. Roast the lamb for 3/4 to 1 hour. Remove from oven, set on bench to allow lamb to self cook for another hour.

Remove crusty covering, slice lamb and gobble.

I have not tried it yet but hear it is excellent.

I bag my lamb and add garlic and plenty of lemmons

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
1 Sep 2015 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Airlie Beach at noon, 24nm, to Crayfish Bay inside Turtle Bay on Whitsunday Island, arriving at 1730.

Sea very flat with little NE wind and had to motor against tide of 4 knots at times.

Calm here but subject to a bit of a roll at times.

Onto Thomas Island tomorrow then the Newry Group.

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
3 Sep 2015 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday had a great sail from Turtle Bay across to south side Shaw Island enroute to Thomas Island where I did'nt anchor as to rolly and ended up in BillBob Bay.

Left just after 0600 and arrived in the Newry Islands at 1050. Another great sail though I must say its ruff out there now.

Locked in here by the wearther until Sunday.

Thence MacKay, Curlew, Hunter and Island Head where weather will lock us in for ??

theace
NSW, 70 posts
4 Sep 2015 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Went sailing on lake macquarie on tuesday and came across an old mate .How good was that.

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
5 Sep 2015 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Sailed [well motored really as only a headwind] from the Newry Islands to MacKay. 27 nm in 6.5 hours.

Off to Curlew Island at 0500, 44 nm, sailing this time with a 10 knot easterly forecast.

Inside Outer Newry Island looking west.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
7 Sep 2015 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Went for a lovely sail...

Enjoyed the new stack pack, finished lazy jacks and dodger...

No aquatic mammals, just a gorgeous day.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog