Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
7 Sep 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

DrRog, check your messages. The sounder went to an address which is not yours but is the one you gave me.

Kate is holding on to it so you can pick it up from her.

Please acknowledge receipt of this message.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
7 Sep 2015 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Cisco. I'll give Kate a call. I do live at the address you gave me but it's no drama to pick it up from someone in our little street.

Thanks again. :)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Sep 2015 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

You been eating blue fish again or blue lagoons

Meg1122
QLD, 285 posts
8 Sep 2015 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Would have been a Blue Tang :)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Sep 2015 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Meg1122 said..
Would have been a Blue Tang :)

I think your right Meg blue Tang

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
8 Sep 2015 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Just kissing smurfs.

I've had it attached to the boat keys for ages but never used it before. I forgot I had it on and got a shock when I started eating my sandwich and saw a big blue zinc ring wrapped around it!

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
8 Sep 2015 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Great Pics Dr Smurf!!

Libran
92 posts
10 Sep 2015 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Great day on Moreton Bay. Beam reach from Shorncliffe to Sandhills on Moreton Island and back.
7.5 to 8.5 Knots all day. Doesn't get any better than that.
Won't mention touching the bottom leaving and entering Cabbage tree Creek.
I thought the attached may be of interest.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
11 Sep 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

Went for a sail on the river today in about 10 to 15 knots with a couple of mates and had a bit of a moment when we did a gybe and the lower mainsheet double block decided to part company with the traveller and ended up hanging from the boom with the boom hard against the shroud

It suspect that the split ring that held the shackle pin in probably came out and the pin fell ot during the gybe

I had a spare shackle in my spares box so once we found the problem it was a easy fix with no damage done

Apart from that the boat went well and the sun was shing so all in all it was a good day out

Regards Don

southace
SA, 4762 posts
11 Sep 2015 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Anchored out for the night in a nice bay, removed old Wench and admired the new Wench!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Sep 2015 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work South Ace

sunycoastguy
QLD, 222 posts
13 Sep 2015 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Went for my first solo sail today out of Mooloolaba after calibrating the auto pilot, everything went great untill I got sooo sick, spewed so much
ended up motoring home, there could be a holland 25 coming up for sale real soon!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Sep 2015 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sunycoastguy said..
Went for my first solo sail today out of Mooloolaba after calibrating the auto pilot, everything went great untill I got sooo sick, spewed so much
ended up motoring home, there could be a holland 25 coming up for sale real soon!

you need a full keeler or a 36 plus foot yacht
Also focus on the sails not the beer in the esky

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
13 Sep 2015 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sunycoastguy said..

Try taking a travelcalm before you go out

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
13 Sep 2015 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Went for a sail on Thursday off the Goldy. It got pretty windy so I was able to a limited test on a furled headsail going to windward but because the wind kept picking up and I was single handed I didn't do a back to back test half furled and unfurled. SOG was 3.8knots but boat speed was 4.1- 4.3 which I thought was reasonable.

Next time I will unfurl the genoa and see how much the performance / heel angle is affected.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
13 Sep 2015 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Anchored out for the night in a nice bay, removed old Wench and admired the new Wench!

Nice looking winch Southace!!!!

Ramona
NSW, 7481 posts
14 Sep 2015 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sunycoastguy said..

Stick with it. Forget the autopilot for awhile and just watch the horizon and try not to look in the boat.

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
14 Sep 2015 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Last week ,

Nice time spent out at bait reef and then line reef , had a great sail back to hook island with low teens SOG.
* south ace , thanks for the tips for bait reef ,

sunycoastguy
QLD, 222 posts
14 Sep 2015 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice guys I'll definitely be taking some pills next time I go out. And as for the 36 foot boat hg that will be in a couple of years after I get the hang of this one

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
14 Sep 2015 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Try Stugeron. In Aus you will have to get it off the internet. Ginger is helpful as is being busy and not having time to think about it. It is basically a balance thing for most people.

Keep your head up and try to focus on the horizon. Some good info here.

www.mysailing.com.au/news/mal-de-mer-seasickness-avoidance-and-treatment

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Sep 2015 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sunycoastguy said..
Thanks for the advice guys I'll definitely be taking some pills next time I go out. And as for the 36 foot boat hg that will be in a couple of years after I get the hang of this one

Good on you Sunny .Ive always found look at the horizon does it for me . But I think Im lucky only even been sea sick on the Tassy ferrie Once

BlueMoon
865 posts
15 Sep 2015 4:53AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, stick with it SCG, take some sort of medication, there may be a lot of trial & error with different brands, but it is soo worth it to persevere, even if the medication just takes the worst of the edge off the seasick feeling, you can "manage" the rest of the symptoms by keeping busy, looking at the horizon etc

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
15 Sep 2015 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said...

Try Stugeron. In Aus you will have to get it off the internet. Ginger is helpful as is being busy and not having time to think about it. It is basically a balance thing for most people.

Keep your head up and try to focus on the horizon. Some good info here.

www.mysailing.com.au/news/mal-de-mer-seasickness-avoidance-and-treatment

Cisco has it spot on i am someone who at times can suffer from sea sickness but it has got better over time. In the past I could never eat at sea would do Coffs and hobart and could not eat at sea now i can cook and eat sausage sandwiches while at sea. I have definitely found keeping your mind busy is most important. I have been out in huge seas and storms never look like getting sick while calm days been as crook as. Another thing is if using medication take one the night before and then again in the morning and eat breakfast.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
15 Sep 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Me and Missus went sailing on the Pittwater yesterday. Good breeze 20+knts and we were flying along (relatively) the breeze was a
Nor-easter and I had started on the Eastern side of Pittwater and had Lion Island on the bow as my destination, so for all intents and
purposes I was heading due North. I thought I could make Lion Island on one tack, but no, for some reason I ended up on the western
side of Pittwater and had to put a tack in to avoid end up in the forest. With Lion Island always on the bow and a breeze that didn't
seem THAT strong how come I got blown sideways so much??. I reckon that although I thought that I was heading North I was actually
heading North-west. Does this happen to you blokes??.

Toph
WA, 1816 posts
15 Sep 2015 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Sam,

I am not familiar with Pittswater or anywhere in your location actually, but this question will still remain relevant.

Although Lion Island 'remained on the bow', were you maintaining a constant track/heading? Wind and current will have you drifting sideways somewhat. If you held a constant aiming point on the bow (in your case Lion Island), you might find you are ever so slightly, but constantly changing heading. In other words a wide circle until you cam to the realisation that you where not going to do it on that line before putting in another tack.

I hope that makes sense. I will look for an illustration that might help.

Toph
WA, 1816 posts
15 Sep 2015 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

I couldn't find one so I made one up... An artists I am not. But hopefully it gives an idea.

nswsailor
NSW, 1430 posts
15 Sep 2015 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Just from Island Head Creek to Port Clinton today, Yeppoon tomorrow, The Narrows day after.

Yara
NSW, 1263 posts
15 Sep 2015 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Me and Missus went sailing on the Pittwater yesterday. Good breeze 20+knts and we were flying along (relatively) the breeze was a
Nor-easter and I had started on the Eastern side of Pittwater and had Lion Island on the bow as my destination, so for all intents and
purposes I was heading due North. I thought I could make Lion Island on one tack, but no, for some reason I ended up on the western
side of Pittwater and had to put a tack in to avoid end up in the forest. With Lion Island always on the bow and a breeze that didn't
seem THAT strong how come I got blown sideways so much??. I reckon that although I thought that I was heading North I was actually
heading North-west. Does this happen to you blokes??.

Sam the effect is called leeway. The keel tries to stop the boat slipping sideways, but there is always some leeway when you are beating to windward. So the actual track over the ground is not where the bow is pointing.
The other effect is the tide. At the mouth of Broken Bay the flow can be quite strong. Aways good to check the tides and alllow for the flow. Minimal in Sydney but huge in some places.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
16 Sep 2015 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys I understand exactly what you are saying. It seems strange to be heading for a specific
point but actually to be heading in a different direction. A good learning curve for me and something
I'll have to keep in mind as land can loom really quickly in Pittwater. The tide was outgoing and
Pittwater being enclosed wouldn't have any current.....would it???.
My boat has a fin keel which I have heard is more prone to movement than a full length keel, but I'm
surprised at the amount of drift.
Great drawing Toph, that illustrates exactly what was happening.
You are right about the mouth of Broken Bay Yara and it's a real washing machine around Lion Island.
Missus and me are really enjoying our little adventures but I didn't tell her we could have ended up on
the rocks so........keep mum.

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
16 Sep 2015 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Still sailing the Whitsundays and can't think of a better place to be at the moment. Champagne sailing today, 10 to 15 knot SE breeze and crusing along at 9 to 10 knots.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog