Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
13 Jan 2016 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

Of course, the trip wouldn't have been complete without another misadventure of this sailor girl, however, someone was looking out for me. Wading in the shallows, brushed against what turned out to be a Stonefish. Pain was EXCRUCIATING, foot swelled up like a balloon, red, veins distended. No further symptoms ...difficulty breathing etc. and the inflammation wasn't travelling up the leg, so I knew I wasn't going to die, so we decided to stay put at Lucinda Bay on Monday night. Got home last night and under a decent light managed to identify a spine which I dislodged. 48 hours since my little near-miss and my foot is still sore and a little swollen.

Just the irony of it. Nearly 50 and been bumming around Moreton Bay all my life. Complacency though....cruising up north in a previous life and boat, I was fanatical about all of us wearing reef-walkers in the water. Guess it's like most motor accidents occurring closest to home Just so relieved it was me and not one of the kids.

I know it's not always easy to have on hand immediately, but HOT water will usually very quickly alleviate the pain as the heat breaks down the enzymes in the toxins. The same applies to jelly fish and stingray jabs. For mozzies use a HOT spoon on the sting, it will hurt a little ....but for a shorter time than the mozzie bite is going to annoy you.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Jan 2016 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Is that your second maiden voyage since buying your most adorable Second Wind Cisco kid?
I have clocked up close to 1000nm in my girl since 12 months and 7 days ago , and just a tad over 20k replacing preventative maintance break downs!
4 bags of King Goerge whiting , 1 x 5 kg King fish and lost count of the monster calamari squid.

I am sorry to say that I am not as lacking in responsibilities as thee.

I have single mothers that I provide accommodation for who do runners owing rent and leaving my top quality real estate in a stinking mess.

Then there is the wife, daughter and son who need coddling now and then.

We have had three day trips out of the Burnett River which as you should know is 50 miles from anywhere, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island and Great Sandy Straits to the south and Lady Musgrave Island and Pancake Creek to the north. Therefore going to a different location requires at least two days away which means the yacht has to be set up for short term live aboard at least, which she is not yet.

She probably did not leave Lake Macquarie for 10 years before I bought her so I regard it as a minor miracle that we got her up from there without major mishap.

So no, I cannot boast of mileage under the keel, large expenditures or bags of sea food. I can boast of only $300 spent on marina/mooring fees over the last 18 months, only $2,000 spent on all that is necessary in electronics, deck hardware and engine components needed to bring this yacht up to optimum equipment level. I can also boast on the 2 kilo of yummy endeavour prawns we had over Christmas and the smoked Tiaro ham and the friends we had around to help us gobble them.

Next question???

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Jan 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

Perfect picture.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
13 Jan 2016 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

Anything else you would like to know about me?? Would you like a copy of my tax return??

Cisco, it was a tongue in cheek question as I was sure it was typo. Not having heard of paying $12,000/anum in rates I was somewhat aghast.

Maybe I should have added lots of smiley thingies or something, I dunno

Nice pics and commentary btw

No problems. This Bundaberg council is ripping us off something fierce and then blowing the dough on rubbish. Grrrrr!!!

I will be using that pontoon to the max.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2518 posts
13 Jan 2016 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Cisco, that was excellent, thank you!

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
14 Jan 2016 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

theselkie said..

Of course, the trip wouldn't have been complete without another misadventure of this sailor girl, however, someone was looking out for me. Wading in the shallows, brushed against what turned out to be a Stonefish. Pain was EXCRUCIATING, foot swelled up like a balloon, red, veins distended. No further symptoms ...difficulty breathing etc. and the inflammation wasn't travelling up the leg, so I knew I wasn't going to die, so we decided to stay put at Lucinda Bay on Monday night. Got home last night and under a decent light managed to identify a spine which I dislodged. 48 hours since my little near-miss and my foot is still sore and a little swollen.

Just the irony of it. Nearly 50 and been bumming around Moreton Bay all my life. Complacency though....cruising up north in a previous life and boat, I was fanatical about all of us wearing reef-walkers in the water. Guess it's like most motor accidents occurring closest to home Just so relieved it was me and not one of the kids.

I know it's not always easy to have on hand immediately, but HOT water will usually very quickly alleviate the pain as the heat breaks down the enzymes in the toxins. The same applies to jelly fish and stingray jabs. For mozzies use a HOT spoon on the sting, it will hurt a little ....but for a shorter time than the mozzie bite is going to annoy you.

Thanks LooseChange. Now you mention it, that information was in the mental vault, but as things happen in the moment, it certainly wasn't coming to the forefront of my mind. The Red Cross First Aid Guide offered bugger all guidance. Many lessons learnt and still feeling extremely blessed.

I did, however, ask someone yesterday whether they had ever been on a boat where they thought it was trying to kill them? Their answer was "yes". I was relieved. I didn't feel I was going nuts anymore. The reason for my question is the fact I have had so many incidents since owning this little boat - 7 months. Overcome by bleach fumes in an inordinately short period of time, second-degree sunburn unbeknownst as my t-shirt rode up at the back whilst working on deck, dodgy near-fainting (I think) turn. I posited to my friend that perhaps I need to have her exorcised!
However, her 'spiritual' problems could lie in the fact that I am uttering her new name whilst her old name remains visible on the transom AND underneath, clearly visible are the remnants of her previous, previous name. John Vigor's Denaming and Renaming Ceremonies here we come

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
14 Jan 2016 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the positive comments everybody on my Burnett River post. With uploading photos etc., it took me all morning to do it.

I strive to make my posts relevant, informative, interesting and with a dash of humour in them.

The Burnett River really is beautiful. It still abounds with mud crabs, fish and prawns and safe haven for yachts except in times of flood.

I love it here and this is what really spells it out for me.

Cheers Cisco.

Toph
WA, 1816 posts
14 Jan 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

I took this picture yesterday evening. The photo location says O'Connal Ck. I think it must flow into the Burnett River. It certainly is a peiceful place to be Cisco..

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
14 Jan 2016 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hey Cisco, lovely pictorial and informative meander up the Burnett

Here are my pretty girls and my pretty girl over at Tangalooma yesterday. Sorry about the dodgy sideways pic.

First overnighter....yay us :)

About 12 months ago we lost a dog to a stone fish in the Newport Canals. The pain to the dog was excruciating and was dead in 15 minutes. Then only 2 weeks ago we had one on our jetty pile. ( See photo i took of him below) Stone fish will not move even if you poke them with a stick, l poked this one on the head and he did not move, I had to actually push him off the ring he was sitting on. This is what makes them so easy to stand on as they will not scare away. Over the years I have seen a number in the Newport Canals. Most times they are right on the edge of the water and look more like a stone than a stone. When you know what you are look for they are quite easy to spot. Their mouth and eyes become obvious as you can so in the photo

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
14 Jan 2016 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Crewing on a 46'Bennetau Yamba to Manly Q. Not far from Gold Coast Seaway our stop for the night. Motoring into the wind all day.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
14 Jan 2016 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Toph said..
I took this picture yesterday evening. The photo location says O'Connal Ck. I think it must flow into the Burnett River. It certainly is a peiceful place to be Cisco..

It was really quite surprising that after our brief trip up the river, mooring her up and then getting into the car and driving through little old Bundaberg City I had this feeling "We are back in this crap world after the peace and serenity we had just experienced."

I don't know of an O'Connal Ck that flows into the Burnett River but from the look of her she is quite welcome to.

Toph
WA, 1816 posts
14 Jan 2016 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Cisco, to be honest there is not really much of a creek, but it is running just behind the accommodation block of Mater Hospital where I am staying while my dad recovers from a major back op. I am yet to make my way down to the marina, but I will head down for a look while I am here.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
15 Jan 2016 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jode5 said..

About 12 months ago we lost a dog to a stone fish in the Newport Canals. The pain to the dog was excruciating and was dead in 15 minutes. Then only 2 weeks ago we had one on our jetty pile. ( See photo i took of him below) Stone fish will not move even if you poke them with a stick, l poked this one on the head and he did not move, I had to actually push him off the ring he was sitting on. This is what makes them so easy to stand on as they will not scare away. Over the years I have seen a number in the Newport Canals. Most times they are right on the edge of the water and look more like a stone than a stone. When you know what you are look for they are quite easy to spot. Their mouth and eyes become obvious as you can so in the photo

Hello Jode

I am so very sorry for the loss of your dog. I can only imagine the insufferable pain he/she went through before passing. God, how terrribly sad.

I too am in Newport Canals (the first to port off the main channel as you enter the estate from sea, in Australia Court).

Over at Lucinda, I assumed the fish was nestled in a bit of log by it's inactivity and also the sheer size of it. However, you've explained it all Jode and, by your photo, I can see they're quite big buggers! Hideous creatures

Kind regards
Trace

QLDCruiser
QLD, 160 posts
15 Jan 2016 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Trace, we were at Lucinda a couple of days ago, must have just missed you. I'm alarmed at your stonefish story - not to belittle the experience you had, but it does sound like it could have been much worse if you'd got a few spines.

I'd always assumed places like Moreton, with clean water and clean sand, would be safe from these menaces. Was it on open clean sand? Or did you say it was sheltering under a log? How deep? We were swimming in the shallows too....

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
15 Jan 2016 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Must be the season for Stonefish the Redland Council has put up warning signs at beaches around the Bay.

Someone least was was stung at Raby Bay beach last week

Lexmark
VIC, 218 posts
15 Jan 2016 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Well done Cisco, Photo looks great.
Thanks again

Lexmark
VIC, 218 posts
15 Jan 2016 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Great photo Mc looking good and happy..........

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
15 Jan 2016 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
QLDCruiser said..
Trace, we were at Lucinda a couple of days ago, must have just missed you. I'm alarmed at your stonefish story - not to belittle the experience you had, but it does sound like it could have been much worse if you'd got a few spines.

I'd always assumed places like Moreton, with clean water and clean sand, would be safe from these menaces. Was it on open clean sand? Or did you say it was sheltering under a log? How deep? We were swimming in the shallows too....

Hello QLDCruiser

We were at Lucinda Monday night, went up to Tangalooma for a look on Tuesday and returned home that afternoon.

No diminishment taken ;). I KNOW how lucky I am that I brushed past rather than stood on it.

Like you, I thought the clear water and clean sand at Moreton would be safe. It had been all my life until now.

We were about 200m north of the wrecked yacht on the beach. About 5.30 in the afternoon. Wading in knee-deep water to set the girls and their dad off in the kayaks back to the boat. Ivan saw it in the water and before he could alert me to it, I had connected with it. Because of the resistance I felt when I connected with it, I assumed it was nestled into a log, however, as Jode pointed out, the suckers don't move, so perhaps it was just sitting there and didn't budge when I brushed against it. As soon as I touched it, I withdrew my foot.
We moved right away very quickly so I didn't see it again, all the more difficult to ascertain whether it was fish and log or just fish.

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
15 Jan 2016 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Selkie
maybe need to do the exorcism thingie,mumble some phrases,drink some Whisky etc

southace
SA, 4762 posts
15 Jan 2016 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

False stone fish , both pics are from Whitsundays I snapped a few years back

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
16 Jan 2016 3:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Selkie that's a crazy story about the stonefish hope you are all on now
Looks you enjoyed the trip to Manly Mcnaughtical
I can't even see a fish in the second pic Southace

southace
SA, 4762 posts
16 Jan 2016 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Keep looking Andy! I give you a hint the second one is much smaller than the first pic?

dialdan
QLD, 79 posts
16 Jan 2016 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

QLDCruiser said..

Hello QLDCruiser

We were at Lucinda Monday night, went up to Tangalooma for a look on Tuesday and returned home that afternoon.

No diminishment taken ;). I KNOW how lucky I am that I brushed past rather than stood on it.

Like you, I thought the clear water and clean sand at Moreton would be safe. It had been all my life until now.

We were about 200m north of the wrecked yacht on the beach. About 5.30 in the afternoon. Wading in knee-deep water to set the girls and their dad off in the kayaks back to the boat. Ivan saw it in the water and before he could alert me to it, I had connected with it. Because of the resistance I felt when I connected with it, I assumed it was nestled into a log, however, as Jode pointed out, the suckers don't move, so perhaps it was just sitting there and didn't budge when I brushed against it. As soon as I touched it, I withdrew my foot.
We moved right away very quickly so I didn't see it again, all the more difficult to ascertain whether it was fish and log or just fish.

Yikes we were at Lucinda Tuesday afternoon ,had a swim too ,will be wearing boots next time

Cheers
Al

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
16 Jan 2016 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

I can't even see a fish in the second pic Southace

Have a look at the green blob in the middle of the pic at the lower junction of what appears to be stag horn coral.

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
17 Jan 2016 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Heading down the river today on the way out to sea was a plague of jellyfish I have not seen for years. Low tide there must have been two acres of them!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Heading down the river today on the way out to sea was a plague of jellyfish I have not seen for years. Low tide there must have been two acres of them!

thats a sign of poor water quality, as jellys can live in almost anything . port phillip had the the same deal a few years ago , not sure if they are still there ?

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

thats amazing the first pic is ok to decipher . But if there is a fish in the second one.................. well,.......... I would eat it !!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
17 Jan 2016 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Any get up your sea suction??

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
17 Jan 2016 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

southace said..

thats amazing the first pic is ok to decipher . But if there is a fish in the second one.................. well,.......... I would eat it !!

look at the green blob smack bang in the middle of the pic, just like the first fish, this one too has its pectoral fin sticking out just below half way down. Helps if you click on the pic and enlarge it

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
18 Jan 2016 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Ramona said..

Any get up your sea suction??

No. I was more worried for my windvane oar but that was not a problem. We have these every year when they breed but not in these numbers usually. High tide they disappear so you can still work under the boat or swim.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog