Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
20 Jan 2016 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Keep running into this island about 10nm off the coast of Perth.

BlueMoon
866 posts
21 Jan 2016 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Yep FR, stunning scenery & atmosphere on the Island.
Is there an equivalent place on the East Coast I should be checking out?

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
21 Jan 2016 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

The nearest to your location BlueMoon would be the Moreton Bay Islands, or maybe Lord Howe is closer.

MorningBird
NSW, 2660 posts
21 Jan 2016 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Not an island but Maitland Bay north of Pittwater is a remote beautiful and protected beach. Broughton Islands is the next spot I recommend.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
21 Jan 2016 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..
Keep running into this island about 10nm off the coast of Perth.

Stunning

keensailor
NSW, 699 posts
21 Jan 2016 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
Not an island but Maitland Bay north of Pittwater is a remote beautiful and protected beach. Broughton Islands is the next spot I recommend.

So Maitland Bay looks like a good anchorage in a north easter for lunch

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2526 posts
25 Jan 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Well, technically it was yesterday, but we raced the Surf 2 City for our inaugural race over the weekend.
I am sad to report a DNF, we ran into a hu..hu..huge hole off Point Lookout, and after hours of fruitless tacking back into a fast flowing current, we ended up being dragged by the current too close to a threatening reef, so we started the engine and retired gracefully to live another day.

The boat went really well, any faults were of me driving, and learning all the things we don't know, that will improve.
Winds from 0 to 20 knots on the nose till it blew out completely, whilst it would have been nice to be reaching/running, I enjoyed the windward stuff immensely.
If I could sum it up in brief, just great fun. I had a Seabreezer on board too!

The Foredeck position is not what it used to be on the asymmetrical thingys! Off North Stradbroke tacking into the surf line......

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2526 posts
25 Jan 2016 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

More wind, heel angle increases with growing resistance, faster she goes . Optimum feels like 20 to 25 degrees...

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
25 Jan 2016 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Jaysus Shaggy!! Not much between the helmsman and the briney except three wires. A big enough greenie is going to wash him out the back of the boat in four slices.

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
26 Jan 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Took my old mottle out for her first race that she has ever done. With a fellow sea breezer and his daughter. Well winner's are grinners first in the crusing division for the Botany Bay Australia day regatta. Eventful day with even a trip up the mast mid race to retrieve the spinnaker halyard.

Windjana
WA, 396 posts
26 Jan 2016 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
twodogs1969 said..
Took my old mottle out for her first race that she has ever done. With a fellow sea breezer and his daughter. Well winner's are grinners first in the crusing division for the Botany Bay Australia day regatta. Eventful day with even a trip up the mast mid race to retrieve the spinnaker halyard.

Well done two dogs!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thumbs up Two dogs

Lazzz
NSW, 883 posts
26 Jan 2016 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

I just drank beer & ate BBQ lamb chops!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2016 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzarae said..
I just drank beer & ate BBQ lamb chops!!

Bugger

dustyned
NSW, 10 posts
26 Jan 2016 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for a great day two dogs, hard yakka but still grinnin'

ChopesBro
351 posts
26 Jan 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Removed old hatch.

Installed new hatch.

Removed a window and started cleaning the silicone off.

Than it started to rain...

Drank beer....cooked a roast.

Happy Australia day to my fellow country men.

P.s oh...and put the flag up

Only gets a run once a year

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
27 Jan 2016 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dustyned said...
Thanks for a great day two dogs, hard yakka but still grinnin'

Welcome any time but be careful we will pinch your crew.

southace
SA, 4773 posts
27 Jan 2016 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Remote islands! sailing , singing , guitars , great friends and sailing back with no engine like Flimders did in 1800s!

southace
SA, 4773 posts
27 Jan 2016 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

and some singing!

cisco
QLD, 12324 posts
27 Jan 2016 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

The first one was really nice southace but the second was infected with engine noise, not that there is anything wrong with engine noise. It usually means the beer will be cold.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 Jan 2016 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
twodogs1969 said...

Nice one 2dogs

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 Jan 2016 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said...
Remote islands! sailing , singing , guitars , great friends and sailing back with no engine like Flimders did in 1800s!

Got them old no engine blues

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
28 Jan 2016 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Went down to Eggs and Bacon Bay for a overnight stay on Monday

A nice spot on the Huon on a good day

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Jan 2016 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

you have one of the best cruising grounds there Donk I envy you

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
28 Jan 2016 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
you have one of the best cruising grounds there Donk I envy you

Hi HG

It is a nice location and is a couple of hours sail from home

We bought a mooring down there a little while ago so we can go down and go to bed at night and not worry about the weather changing and dragging anchor as it is fairly shallow

The mooring beside us had another Sailmaster on it and the owner who has a house at Eggs and Bacon came out to his to go for a sail and we got talking for a couple of hours and had a look over each others boats

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 Jan 2016 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hg

Something interesting about his interior was that it was a different layout to yours and mine (bulkhead where my compression post is, toilet on the lh side in front of the bulkhead) was that the interior did not have the fibreglass liner like yours and mine has and all the interior fit out was done in timber

The other one i sailed on a few weeks ago had the same front set up but a dinette on the lh side and a kitchen all the way along the rh side

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jan 2016 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hg

Something interesting about his interior was that it was a different layout to yours and mine (bulkhead where my compression post is, toilet on the lh side in front of the bulkhead) was that the interior did not have the fibreglass liner like yours and mine has and all the interior fit out was done in timber

The other one i sailed on a few weeks ago had the same front set up but a dinette on the lh side and a kitchen all the way along the rh side

Regards Don

Id say Kahn Walker sold the bare hulls and they were fitted out in Tassy . There were a few H28 like that near the end of production on the H28 .
maybe the sail master had a option of bare hull or a walker furniture liner

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 Jan 2016 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Donk107 said..
Hg

Regards Don

Id say Kahn Walker sold the bare hulls and they were fitted out in Tassy . There were a few H28 like that near the end of production on the H28 .
maybe the sail master had a option of bare hull or a walker furniture liner

Hi HG

After speaking to a few older sailors they tell me that a lot local Sailmaster hulls were laid up here in Tassie by Central Marine and the fitout done by owners but i am not sure if they had Walker H28 moulds as well

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Jan 2016 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that info Donk

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
5 Feb 2016 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Wednesday actually, not today :) Just out into Deception Bay for, what turned out to be longer than I planned. As is my wont, once I escape to the water, I am loathe to return to the shackles of land.

First sail alone on my little Folkboat. Bliss!! I am addicted to singlehanding!!

'Mark Occy' the octopus strap took care of the helm for most of the day, requiring only an occasional adjustment here and there. Aria was amazingly well balanced in the conditions of that day - 7-13 knots of breeze - reaching and close-hauled. Yes, after I took the pic, I did crack the jib off (and adjust the cars) .

I'm a very, very happy Folkboat mistress ...and a little more confident now for having made the leap of faith to take her out alone

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog