Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
23 Feb 2016 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Last week i had to work back every night so rather than do the hour drive home late i decided to bring the boat up and stay at Docklands.
Left Blairgowrie at 6.30

[URL=.html] [/URL]

...... through the Pinace, passed Mud Island then due North rockin and rolling in a Westerly of 15knots down the middle of the bay:

[URL=.html] [/URL]

........arriving at Whilliamstowd at around midday wind had turned South and abated:

[URL=.html] [/URL]

....up the Yarra dodging outgoing ships, Westgate in the distance:

[URL=.html] [/URL]

......passing Newport Powerstation with the usual die hard fishermen fishing the hotties:
[URL=.html] [/URL]

....and Tom Tough showing a bit of muscle:

[URL=.html] [/URL]

.......under the Bolte and mooring at the Melbourne City Marina, checked in, payed my fees..... and do they have a lovely lounge on the waters edge! Fantastic facility!

[URL=.html] [/URL]

Then off down the Yarra, because I always wanted to, buying a beer at the bar below Federation Square:

[URL=.html] [/URL]

...back to the Marina to find a nice windbreak pmoored next to me;)

[URL=.html] [/URL]

..... a great end to a great day:

[URL=.html] [/URL]

....the windbreak returned later in the evening and next day after work, when the skipper learned i was an AV tech, had me fixing the multy zone Bose stereo system!
The beer was nice though.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
23 Feb 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Guitz

your boat is so pretty. What is she?

Lovely photos too

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
23 Feb 2016 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

Awwww. your just a softie for wellformed sheer and classic lines ....

............ya know, ya sound like ya'd make a great Folkboat owner with credentials like that

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
23 Feb 2016 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Great post Guitz. You obviously enjoyed the trip.

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
24 Feb 2016 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hello Guitz

Lovely photos too

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

theselkie said..

Awwww. your just a softie for wellformed sheer and classic lines ....

............ya know, ya sound like ya'd make a great Folkboat owner with credentials like that

hi theselkie, thanks for the compliments. Warana was designed by Charlie Peel who took the lines of the couta boat as a starting point and adapted that basic design for a motor sailer. She was built in 1956 in Brighton, Vic, by Jack Guiterrez who built all the cadet dingies for the Brighton Yacht club as well as many yachts and motor sailers. I have had her 2 years in May and while there is work to be done on the deck, rig and cabin, she is the boat i will hang on to for keeps.
And yes, Cisco I really enjoyed the trip to the city, living on the boat for a week. It made what is usually an exhausting week with the late drive home each night, a real adventure. My wife joined me on Friday and We went to Melbourn's White Night on Saturday seeing Shane Howard, Paul Kelly and others in the Irish Exile concert. The journey home on Sunday was great as well. Started off a bit lumpy, heading off from Whilliamstown into a south easterly, so we took a heading towards Ricketts Point on the eastern shore for calmer warters, then on to Mornington for Lunch at midday.

Here's a video of the return journey with the crowd swimming and jumping off the Pillars at Mt Martha the music is a track from an album i hope to put out later in the year;

Wander66
QLD, 294 posts
25 Feb 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Took Itchy Feet out along the coast from Burnett Heads in 15-20 knot southeaster with the intention of heading south to Bargara. I was accompanied by a couple of old salts: our very own Cisco, skipper of Second Wind and Terry the skipper and builder of the impressive SV Compass Rose. We didn't quite make Bargara but it was a good day and I learnt a lot more about my boat including the purpose of those little strings that run along the leech of the mainsail. Thanks fellas.

Look at that smile of Cisco's face, I think he's dreaming of that next passage to Lord Howe Island!!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
25 Feb 2016 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

It was a great day out. Glad you saw what I was doing with the leech line. It makes a difference in performance but more importantly stops your sail flogging it's leech to death.

I have ripped the odd mainsail from leech to luff but have never seen one rip from luff to leech.

In case anybody is wondering what Terry was doing, he was gargling water and trying to warble like a Magpie in sympathy to the one I downed in my back yard the day before in my back yard with my shanghai and a plastic ball.

It didn't hurt him but made him stagger like a drunk for a little bit and think twice about coming into my back yard again. Woman two doors down has been feeding them and now the street is plagued by them.

Wanderer66 has a very nice Carter Passage 33 which sails very well. In the conditions we had the first reef in the main and full genoa with nary an anxious moment. A very capable yacht I feel.

Thanks for the day out mate.

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
28 Feb 2016 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Took my new aysometric spinnaker out for a try very happy with it

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
3 Mar 2016 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Could you please explain the ropage on your assymetric.
There is a red one from the clew to the snap shackle, than a braided one forward from the snap shackle and than a braided one backwards to the cockpit. It is not clear even magnified. I guess the one going forward is a barber hauler?

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
3 Mar 2016 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Great post Guitz
The texta looks like it's pulling you along well twodogs
Here's a question re leech lines.
the leech doesn't flap on my Genoa or main I have just left the leech lines without any tension on both.
I'm only planning to use them if the leech starts to flap
Should I have some tension on them??

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
3 Mar 2016 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

This was the first time I flew it so was a makeshift rig.
The red rope is actually the clew there is no eyelet in it.
the blue and white rope running back is actually my kicker i used it as a down haul to tension the luff to carry it higher.
The other rope was a makeshift collar around my forestay.
As I pulled further away I eased the kicker to let the tack up to the top of the push pit.
my thoughts are to get a proper strap off the sail maker that goes around the forestay and maybe make a 3 or 4-1 pully system to use for the downhaul if needed all depends how close I can carry it without extra tension on the luff.
the two ropes connected to the red clew are the sheets

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
3 Mar 2016 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said...
Great post Guitz
the leech doesn't flap on my Genoa or main I have just left the leech lines without any tension on both.
Should I have some tension

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
6 Mar 2016 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

just across the bay to Elwood,from willie In my beautiful Selkie
beautiful day,not much wind though
very suitable for my first sail after my total hip replacement
3 mates to do all the work
i brought lunch and the beer
"getting better all the time"

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Mar 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scaramouche said..

I hope the hip replacement gives you a new meaning Scaramouche hope it all goes well

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
7 Mar 2016 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgeous weather in Sydney so far in March. March is my favourite month of the year here, for sure.

Had a nice little sail with a friend on Saturday then wife came on for an overnighter. About 50 boats at Athol Bay but we were all alone just two beaches away. Fore and aft anchoring kept us bow into the harbour traffic motion so a good, long sleep. Swim, breakfast, coffee, sail in the gorgeous NE'er and home. Much needed.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
7 Mar 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

inspired by dr rogs sunset photo wife and i anchored at Lucinda bay Moreton island Saturday night after a great sail over under kite then no1 skirting showers a nice walk on the beach swim then dinner sunset a rolly night on anchor great sail home Sunday

under kite to sandgate

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Mar 2016 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
Gorgeous weather in Sydney so far in March. March is my favourite month of the year here, for sure.

Had a nice little sail with a friend on Saturday then wife came on for an overnighter. About 50 boats at Athol Bay but we were all alone just two beaches away. Fore and aft anchoring kept us bow into the harbour traffic motion so a good, long sleep. Swim, breakfast, coffee, sail in the gorgeous NE'er and home. Much needed.

Give her these from Sea Breeze DR Rog

Maxbicyclemax
WA, 38 posts
7 Mar 2016 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scaramouche said...

We're in the same boat. Not talking about boats though.
Had a total hip replacement myself just 5 weeks ago.
It's good when you get to that point in your recovery that you are finally better than pre surgery.
Then the next day is better than that. And the day after better again.
I've shaken off nearly all the meds, now just aiming for some more strength and flexibility.
Sailed my boat for the first time over the weekend. Motored it a few times previous to that.
Good luck to you.
Max, youngish member of the THR club.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Mar 2016 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Driftwood is moving to another yard today

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
8 Mar 2016 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
twodogs1969 said..
the blue and white rope running back is actually my kicker i used it as a down haul to tension the luff to carry it higher.
As I pulled further away I eased the kicker to let the tack up to the top of the push pit.
my thoughts are to get a proper strap off the sail maker that goes around the forestay and maybe make a 3 or 4-1 pully system to use for the downhaul if needed all depends how close I can carry it without extra tension on the luff.

I would simply run the tack line (or downhaul) through a pulley and back to a cockpit winch and cleat. There will be a time when you will need to dump the tack to pull the sail down and a 4:1 won't let you do that.

Also means you can control all the sail form the cockpit.

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
8 Mar 2016 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Great post Guitz
Should I have some tension on them??

Only use leech lines to stop flapping. An overtight leech line will cause the leech to turn to windward and that is slooooooow!!

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
8 Mar 2016 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

DrRog said..

Had a nice little sail with a friend on Saturday then wife came on for an overnighter.

Give her these from Sea Breeze DR Rog

Awww.. Thanks HG! "That's really nice", she says.

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
8 Mar 2016 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rumblefish said...
twodogs1969 said..

I would simply run the tack line (or downhaul) through a pulley and back to a cockpit winch and cleat. There will be a time when you will need to dump the tack to pull the sail down and a 4:1 won't let you do that.

Also means you can control all the sail form the cockpit.

At the moment that is what I am doing using my spinnaker kicker.
i am running a snap shackle so for retrieval I fire it. I don't like dropping with all sheets attached especially when short handed there is usually just the bride and I. Deciding whether to go a top down furler or a sock. Any recommendations?

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
18 Mar 2016 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

I did it! I did it!! Sailed up to Yamba 60 nm. 2 crew but first time with me being the most experienced. .feel like a Skipper now.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
18 Mar 2016 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..
I did it! I did it!! Sailed up to Yamba 60 nm. 2 crew but first time with me being the most experienced. .feel like a Skipper now.

Bloody marvellous!

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
18 Mar 2016 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
18 Mar 2016 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
18 Mar 2016 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

This catamaran snuck past us on the inside.
Trying to post videos but can't from my phone.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
18 Mar 2016 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said...
McNaughtical said..

Bloody marvellous!

Awww thanks Dr Rog

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
18 Mar 2016 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome McN.....so glad for you. You've done more than me. I haven't got out of Pittwater yet. Go McN.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog