Forums > Sailing General

Where did you go on your sailing boat today?

Created by DrRog > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2014
Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
25 Nov 2016 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Shaggy, I see you on Marine traffic just east of Mud. Bad new is wind is dropping, and coming from the NE and you are going to hit the incoming tide after mid night. I am actually just trying to convince myself that I am better off in my warm bed.??

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
26 Nov 2016 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Blue Moon last Sunday.

Seaka last Sunday

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
25 Nov 2016 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jode5 said..
Shaggy, I see you on Marine traffic just east of Mud. Bad new is wind is dropping, and coming from the NE and you are going to hit the incoming tide after mid night. I am actually just trying to convince myself that I am better off in my warm bed.??

Hi Jode,
Yes, you are better off mate. Mind you, your bed on that gorgeous boat of yours would be pretty comfy!
You soothsayer you, the wind dropped to 3-4 knots and went NE indeed.
Not much chance now of making it in the window of time allowable, the NW channel in light airs with opposing tide isn't much fun . I'll take a lazy option and head for Newport or QCYC methinks
I've managed to get a bit of breeze heading back in, up to a scintillating 9 knots. That's sailing!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
27 Nov 2016 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

I have to take Fusion home today, if any Seabreezers feel like a few hours on the water you are welcome to come along. Leaving SCarborough for Manly , then I can drop people back off at scarborough as my car is at manly.
As long as I have it out today don't really mind on departure time.
Let me know if interested!
Looks like a nice day for it!

SailPlan
NSW, 37 posts
30 Nov 2016 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Airlie Beach to Sydney. (Well, not in one day – over a month to be precise...) Distance sailed – 1,175 nautical miles, 235 hours at the helm. Sailing solo was “challenging” at times, and I had a few ‘oh bugger!’ moments! A furling headsail would have made things easier, but I have no regrets about using hanked-on sails. (Is this going to re-open the furler v hanked-on debate for short-handed sailing?) The trusty old Jarkan 10.5 was amazing – no problems or breakdowns at all.

(I would like to give some credit where it's due... The service I got at Port Macquarie Marina was amazing – much better than any of the other marinas I stopped at. Highly recommended! I have no affiliation with the marina.)

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
30 Nov 2016 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

You lucky bastard Sailplan, I'm jealous, it sounds like a bucket list trip!
Highlights? Scariest moment?
Enquiring minds want to know.

LALancer
WA, 40 posts
1 Dec 2016 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Last week I sailed from Pt Peron to Dawesville. Stayed away four nights. Penguin Island. Mandurah. Mandurah. Long Point. 24 hours actual sailing time. 62 nm all up.

LittleBoris
NSW, 27 posts
12 Dec 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday was an exciting day, as after 12 months of boat hunting we completed the purchase of an S&S 30 Defiance last week. We had a lovely sunny 12-15 knots on Brisbane Waters as we set off on our first sail. The smiles were wide across all of our faces as the 30 has delightful manners and was happily getting along at 6 knots without being pushed.

A great arvo out.

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
12 Dec 2016 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LittleBoris said..
Yesterday was an exciting day, as after 12 months of boat hunting we completed the purchase of an S&S 30 Defiance last week. We had a lovely sunny 12-15 knots on Brisbane Waters as we set off on our first sail. The smiles were wide across all of our faces as the 30 has delightful manners and was happily getting along at 6 knots without being pushed.

A great arvo out.

Excellent choice. Well done.

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
12 Dec 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

+1 Great choice of yacht.

chris340
NSW, 43 posts
13 Dec 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations Little Boris.

I'm moored on the other side of the bay
and was out Sat & Sun for my twins birthday parties. Boy/Girl.
I think we passed by each other on Saturday.

Happy sailing.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Dec 2016 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LittleBoris said..

A great arvo out.

LittleBoris
NSW, 27 posts
14 Dec 2016 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh thanks Ramona & Cisco, we defiantly think we got the right boat. Chris we will be sailing again this Sunday give us a wave and say hello if you are around. Cheers HG

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
14 Dec 2016 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Out there hopefully very soon.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
18 Dec 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Curses.
Had all the crew, hasn't dropped below 25tws, and we were heading out to practice heavy air sailing technique. Lo and behold, we find a perfect L shaped 30cm tear in the gennaker near the luff (which is our go to sail in these conditions)
We had spinnaker tape at the ready, but the wiser part of me decided 30+ knots and a hastily repaired gennaker don't really go together.
Discretion at the better part of valour, we called it off and stayed at the bar.....
Edit: Packing up the boat, it's blowing solid 26-36 in the pen, would be another 5+ knots outside....sigh...

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
26 Dec 2016 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Sailed upriver with my son. Great sail

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
29 Dec 2016 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Planned a family outing to Peel Island today, but planning and children don't go together!
We didn't get off the dock till noon, but still managed to get to Peel Island and anchor up for an hour before beating most of the way back.
This was on the way home round the south of Peel, being lazy under main and headsail.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
30 Dec 2016 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Planned a family outing to Peel Island today, but planning and children don't go together!
We didn't get off the dock till noon, but still managed to get to Peel Island and anchor up for an hour before beating most of the way back.
This was on the way home round the south of Peel, being lazy under main and headsail.

"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
:(

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
30 Dec 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dr Rog,
Thx for letting me know, it turns out there was a song playing in the background on the radio, and youtube banned the video!
I didn't know you had to remove all the background noise...sigh...

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
30 Dec 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Try again!
Well, there is a lesson in that, make sure you have your radio turned down before filming any video you want to put on Youtube... ..that seems kinda wrong to me. The corrective process from Youtube removes all audio from the track not just the song, even though they say it doesn't.

I have only just started to master the newer tactical display page on the helm position. There's a lot of data points on the display to take in (17?) and they are all useful, but if I'm honest it has taken me a year to digest the information and actually really use it.
Example: The little blue arrow in the centre gives you real time current direction and speed, so I use this now to help offset any drift or leeway.
Or, the fuzzy area depicted in the top window show the wind shift trends, are the shifts biased to the left or right of the course? This helps me pick the difference between lulls and genuine shifts.

I know that true sailing is eyes out of the boat and sail by feel, which I am now starting to master after a year of learning her mannerisms. The instrument data really is another tool, it gives me a confirmation that what my brain thinks is happening is real.
I enjoy the numbers side of sailing, it's good fun.

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
30 Dec 2016 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Try again!
Well, there is a lesson in that, make sure you have your radio turned down before filming any video you want to put on Youtube... ..that seems kinda wrong to me. The corrective process from Youtube removes all audio from the track not just the song, even though they say it doesn't.

That is unbelievable!! Does that mean that Youtube picks up on what song is playing on the radio and determines if it is under copy right??

Fusion was hoofing along as usual.

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
30 Dec 2016 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

shaggybaxter said..
Try again!

That is unbelievable!! Does that mean that Youtube picks up on what song is playing on the radio and determines if it is under copy right??

Fusion was hoofing along as usual.

Come on shaggy you can do better than that. Jo-De 7 is only a cruising yacht. 9.3 SOG in 12 TWS. 90deg TWA (no spinnaker and in full cruising mode including dingy)
i am currently in Argentina and about to board a ship to Antartica on Saturday. We are expecting a lumpy trip across the Drake passage but still should be calmer and warmer than in a sailing boat. It looks like Jo-De 7 will be collecting growth for the next month. No internet down there so no Seabreeze,

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
30 Dec 2016 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

I shall try next time and see what I can do. Sigh....9.3 in 12kn TWS..
Enjoy your trip Jode, sounds like a lot of fun!
My True numbers are a bit out, the speed log is not reading accurately (sog ok). Seems to happen when I let her get a dirty bum, but the speed log has zero moving parts, go figure.
You might see a few Imocas in your travels.

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
30 Dec 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Was a few miles offshore today heading East into a freshening breeze. Glorious day, dodged the odd amateur fishing boat. I was sitting up alongside the mast planning a few changes to the halyard/reefing line set up when I had occassion to look up under the stackpack and noticed the pivot bolt on the gooseneck had broken. Only half the bolt was there! Might have been like that for awhile but I played safe and turned for home anyway. I was going to test out a thicker rope on my broom brake later in the day too!

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
30 Dec 2016 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday got back from 6 days in Broken Bay. Dinner at Q Station on 23rd with family. Sailed up to BB on 24th with the missus and we had some really nice dolphins but had to motor sail most of the way. Arrived in Refuge Bay in teaming rain and lots of lightning activity. Lazed around for days there swimming, eating, drinking, sleeping then a night in Little Pittwater then another in Coal and Candle. Wish we'd gone up river sooner but we had kind of fallen over the line on the 23rd and needed to just laze.

It always blows me away sitting on the boat, anchored in 13 metres of water, 10 metres from oyster-covered rocks, watching sea eagles and brahminy kites soar and hunt, swimming in the dark water or the shallow, sandy patches, Aboriginal rock art and middens viewable at water level, a cappuccino / ice boat plying his trade amongst millions of floating dollars. We're inevitably the smelliest and poorest on the daggiest boat but seem to appreciate the surroundings at least as much as those in the multi-story, leather-lined liners. Perhaps it is because we have no TV, no internet, and barely a mobile signal that we got the up-close and personal with the goanna and got to watch for 30 minutes an octopus hunting in the same air-clear rock pool in which we sat.

What a cruising paradise. If only I knew how to catch fish up river.

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
30 Dec 2016 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
Yesterday got back from 6 days in Broken Bay. Dinner at Q Station on 23rd with family. Sailed up to BB on 24th with the missus and we had some really nice dolphins but had to motor sail most of the way. Arrived in Refuge Bay in teaming rain and lots of lightning activity. Lazed around for days there swimming, eating, drinking, sleeping then a night in Little Pittwater then another in Coal and Candle. Wish we'd gone up river sooner but we had kind of fallen over the line on the 23rd and needed to just laze.

It always blows me away sitting on the boat, anchored in 13 metres of water, 10 metres from oyster-covered rocks, watching sea eagles and brahminy kites soar and hunt, swimming in the dark water or the shallow, sandy patches, Aboriginal rock art and middens viewable at water level, a cappuccino / ice boat plying his trade amongst millions of floating dollars. We're inevitably the smelliest and poorest on the daggiest boat but seem to appreciate the surroundings at least as much as those in the multi-story, leather-lined liners. Perhaps it is because we have no TV, no internet, and barely a mobile signal that we got the up-close and personal with the goanna and got to watch for 30 minutes an octopus hunting in the same air-clear rock pool in which we sat.

What a cruising paradise. If only I knew how to catch fish up river.

Ask that octopus! But seriously...fresh bait (Hawkesbury River prawns) is the way to go. Get a few witches-hat traps for Blue Swimmer crabs and bait them with a few old fish heads or little fish you already caught. Australian summer holidays on the Hawkesbury (or Jervis Bay)…tell the rest of the world to stay away, we'll see you later!

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
30 Dec 2016 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GKandCC said..

Ask that octopus! But seriously...fresh bait (Hawkesbury River prawns) is the way to go. Get a few witches-hat traps for Blue Swimmer crabs and bait them with a few old fish heads or little fish you already caught. Australian summer holidays on the Hawksbury…tell the rest of the world to stay at home, we'll see you later!

Thanks GK - I had meant to buy some bait but forgot in the rush. I have a couple of traps but caught nothing with the vibes to put in them.

And yes, I probably shouldn't tell anyone.

But... obligatory photo (protected shallow anchorage + waterfall + beach = paradise = crowded after xmas)

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
31 Dec 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Best bet is to start using plastic lures for flathead etc. No smelly bait. Get a rig for the Missus as well. Fish off the yacht or take the inflatable and drift along the edges or wade in the shallows.

Watch a few Youtube videos or spy on pensioners for the correct technique!

Lazzz
NSW, 870 posts
31 Dec 2016 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Went up to Broughton Island, from Lake Macquarie, for a few days.

Hard work going up into a strong Nor-Easter but a nice downwind run home.

Swansea Bridge

Esmeralda Cove - Broughton Island

Newcastle dead ahead

MEGAMAX
WA, 83 posts
1 Jan 2017 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

We took Chiquita out into the estuary for fire works last night at Mandurah. Here she is all ready for the night, anchor light in the forestay and nav lights in their boxes. The kind Marine Safetly asked me 'turn off' the nav lights....fair cop guv. Except they don't turn off. I could blow them out....oh well, I unscrewed them and put the in the cockpit until time to go. Re lighting them is a pain. I guess it IS poor seamanship. Every second boat had them on though. I was happy enough to have them as it was a bit crowded and see and be seen helps.

If some kind person could tell me how to rotate the picture I would be grateful, it won't load unless its this way round.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Where did you go on your sailing boat today?" started by DrRog