Forums > Sailing General

jarkan 10.5

Created by aus005 > 9 months ago, 2 Apr 2014
bouncingyell
QLD, 2 posts
10 Feb 2015 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

I got a jarkan 10.5 here in Manly boat Habour Qld. Still with original name Amity. Had refit in jarkan factory about 5 years ago. Preparing her now for the Indonesian Rally in July.
[/img

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Feb 2015 1:23AM
Thumbs Up

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
10 Feb 2015 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

nice boats guys we are flushing a few jarkans out now show us a few more pics would be great to see the subtle differences between them
where have you been in your jarkan??

KaJa
9 posts
10 Feb 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

I agree would like to share photos to view other Jarkan set ups.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
10 Feb 2015 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

R2D2 where are ya? We need ya in here to straighten up another picture that has fallen over.

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
10 Feb 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Arhh aus005 seeing that boat again brings back some memories

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
10 Feb 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..
R2D2 where are ya? We need ya in here to straighten up another picture that has fallen over.

Said it before, say it again. Just download Irfan Viewer for free.

bouncingyell
QLD, 2 posts
10 Feb 2015 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

That's a nice clean chart table you got there, wish I could keep mine the clean.i sail up to the Whitsundays and cairns a few times and South to Ballina a few weeks ago.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
11 Feb 2015 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Cisco, I am aware of Irfanview, I have been using it since it first came out in 1996 and I still use it as it's one of the simplest and quickest viewers out there.

It's just that C3PO usually jumps in and straightens any pics that are out of wack, he makes it a personal mission.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
11 Feb 2015 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

cisco said..

Cisco, I am aware of Irfanview, I have been using it since it first came out in 1996 and I still use it as it's one of the simplest and quickest viewers out there.

It's just that C3PO usually jumps in and straightens any pics that are out of wack, he makes it a personal mission.

My comment was not directed at thee, rather those that are uneducated or too lazy to post pics the right way up.

If C3PO/R2D2/HG02 is inclined to do those corrections, we must applaud him for it.

This little black duck is not going to do it. Same with spelling, punctuation and paragraphing.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
11 Feb 2015 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..

happy memories mate??

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
12 Feb 2015 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus005 said...
SirJman said..

happy memories mate??

Very! Except some scary ass moments that I try and push to the dark backside of my mind. Devonport a lovely safe harbour with not much else going on tbh.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Feb 2015 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
13 Feb 2015 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
13 Feb 2015 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

wow got a bit going on there bouncing yell as pauncho was inferring.
makes mine look very rudimentary nice set up and great looking boat would love to see more

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
18 Feb 2015 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

We have bit the bullet and are currently replacing our Jarkan 10.5 (27 yo) cushions. Out with the bland in with (oh my God!!!)

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Feb 2015 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Just wondered what foam to use on project like yours

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Feb 2015 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
18 Feb 2015 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Well, seeing you are only wondering and not asking ...we won't tell you.

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
20 Feb 2015 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

75 mm of Quality Foam plus another 50 mm of Memory Foam.

The back rests will be 100 mm Quality Foam

Hopefully the result (and I) will last another 27 years

Still finishing off window replacement (for 2nd time). Our 12 month trial of the 2 forward windows using no screws and a Dow Corning product has been excellent.

This weekend we are fitting stainless steel shrouds around stay plates (another source of leakage).

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Feb 2015 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WarrinaIII said..
75 mm of Quality Foam plus another 50 mm of Memory Foam.

The back rests will be 100 mm Quality Foam

Hopefully the result (and I) will last another 27 years

Still finishing off window replacement (for 2nd time). Our 12 month trial of the 2 forward windows using no screws and a Dow Corning product has been excellent.

This weekend we are fitting stainless steel shrouds around stay plates (another source of leakage).

Thanks for that that also on my list Bubbles has already mentioned to me his Walker cushions are dam hard to sleep on
Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

HG02 said..

Well, seeing you are only wondering and not asking ...we won't tell you.

L C

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
21 Feb 2015 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Thank goodness I have no intention of selling our Jarkan 10.5 (1987 build).

I thought that when the Hunts sold their Jarkan 10.5 (with new motor) it was the sale of the century followed closely by the sale of Peaking.

This morning I came across another Jarkan 10.5 (1980 build) just listed for sale.

What a cheap waterfrontage at Shute Harbour.

If only 5 of us where crazy enough to outlay $7 k each (plus say just $7 per day running cost each) we'd have our own Queensland escape.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
21 Feb 2015 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

where is this boat listed WarrinaIII can you post a link to her please
my cushions also need doing what have you budgeted for the job

FoolishBehaviour
NSW, 51 posts
21 Feb 2015 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

It was listed on Gumtree on 16th Feb and has already had nearly 400 views.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/whitsundays/sail-boats/yacht-10-5m-jarkan-urgent-sale/1070899954

I previously had photos of her (found on net) taken in 2008 (which showed 9 well worn winches in cockpit)

It certainly is a buyers market!!! This is the Jarkan 10.5 I've seen on market for some time.

We could buy it for parts. The rigging is almost new (3 years). Have a look at he photos on Gumtree.

Our Cushion Budget was $5 but has blown out. On Monday we should have detailed (final quote). We chose imported fabric.

A work colleague did his 31' yacht cushions a couple of years ago @ $6 k so I thought we were probably dreaming.

Once completed I show you photos.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
21 Feb 2015 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the link never thought to look on gumtree she looks pretty good with the limited amount of pictures an absolute bargain at that price
wow 6k on cushions i might clean mine my wife would kick me out if i spent that much

bhmeldrum
NSW, 1 posts
26 Apr 2015 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi fellow Jarkan 10.5 owners, good to see some communication.
We have owned Justine II for 10 years and are still in love with the boat as it is just so good, so safe, so comfortable.
She was built in 1978 and launched under the name Spotlight with sail number R133 at Sandringham.
She now has the sail number RH133 issued by RYCT in Hobart where we are members and the boat lives in Sydney.
She has done the Pacific and in recent years is no stranger to the Tasmanian coast.
In 1984 she survived the disastrous Sydney to Hobart Race and finished 32nd of the 42 or so boats that survived out of 150 starters
That is a testament to the good qualities of the design.

By the way the designer was actually Alan Blackburn but Kanga built the boats.
Must look for the build number but there have been numerous re-paints so the number may be gone. Would like to find out what number she was.

I ran into a 10.5 at the Sydney boat show about 3 years ago and the owner had just completed a world circumnavigation with his wife and 2 small sons.

The boat is a tribute to Alan Blackburn's excellent design and Kanga Birtles great build standards so stands as a high point in Australian yacht building.
It would be great if someone could start a group to exchange ideas such as the SALAR 40 group that runs on Yahoo groups.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
28 Apr 2015 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

welcome to seabreeze bh meldrum
you guys have a beautiful boat it sounds like she gets about let me know when you come to tassie i am at portsorell.
your build number would be pretty low i recon mine is 20 built in april 1981 maybe around 10 if they built say 3 a year in the early days.
got any inside pics and what have you guys done to the boat.

JimSydney
1 posts
28 Apr 2015 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Im trying to track down a Jarkan around Sydney, it was called Respite and sailed from the RSYS, owned by Graham Pennefather (my father). He sold it in 2002 to a Donald Boden and James Watt, I believe it might have been renamed Uncle ????.
If anyone has any information I would really appreciate it as my father would just like to see it again.
Thanks Jim.

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
28 Apr 2015 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hi bhmeldrum,
Great looking boat, I noticed in the photo's you have changed the position of your radome. Is it a Raymarine 18" radome. I have a radome to install but haven't decided whether to mount it on the mast or on a pole at the stern. I would be interested to know why you changed it and to which (current) position. Pro's and Con's.??
I have the 18" model but am a bit worried of the bulk of it on 40' rig. I was unaware that the 18" referred to the size of the array and not the overall diameter of the radome housing. Yours looks good up there on the mast.

SailPlan
NSW, 37 posts
26 Apr 2016 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

All,

I finally got a Jarkan...! After looking at several over the past few years, I bought 'Velona’ - the boat mentioned above.

Firstly, a bit of an intro... (Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Sorry - just had to say that!). I'm in Sydney, and over the years have owned a few yachts - from a 45’ Samson ferro ketch (weighing 25.4T) to a Sonata 7 trailer sailer. But, I’m by no means a pro, and have learned so much from this board. Hats off to some of the senior members!

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Jarkan 10.5. ‘Velona’ was on the market for some time in 2015, and we eventually missed it by a few days. (Made a detour to Airlie Beach when on a road trip.) Anyway, the new owner got stuck into it (as one does with a new toy), and added a swim platform, solar panels on a frame, replaced the windows, replaced the prop shaft seal, made a h/d double bow roller, replaced the dodger clears, removed a few osmosis blisters and anti-fouled it. He then decided that he wanted a trailer sailer instead, and put it on the market again. In hindsight, lucky I did miss it last year. I gain from his improvements...

It’s not pristine, but at $27K, I’m very happy with the buy. It has: 410 hours on the Kubota 22 diesel, 10 sails (the main is almost new), nine 2-speed winches, all lines to cockpit, Spectra halyards, a new boom bag with lazy jacks, Navman chartplotter, Raymarine wind, speed and depth instruments, 90W solar, new house and start batteries, up to date safety gear, very good upholstery, tender with Yam 2.5 4-stroke, etc. Basically, it’s ready to go. The previous osmosis issue is a small concern, but what 1980 boat hasn’t had it? No furler is the only real neg. Perhaps from its previous racing history - has done a few Syd-Hobarts apparently. It also needs a fridge system – the eutectic was removed.

Our plan is to enjoy a few holidays in the Whitsundays, before getting it back to Sydney. So, over to the Team: Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced delivery skipper? Or someone with experience who’d like to accompany me? It will be a leisurely day-leg only trip southwards. We are planning to make the trip in November-ish.

Cheers
Duncan

(Jim – FYI, before this came on the market, I had a look at ’Uncle Jeffery’. I offered $40K for it, and in hindsight, luckily my offer was declined. ‘Velona’ is in a better condition, with better equipment

.)

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"jarkan 10.5" started by aus005