Forums > Sailing General

powertech 3735 mppt controller

Created by sirgallivant > 9 months ago, 5 Mar 2017
sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
5 Mar 2017 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

I was thinking replacing my old regulator with an mppt controller.
Jaycar has a powertech 30amp one on offer for a reasonable price.

Did any of the members have any experience with this brand?
Is it any good?
There is a lot of dodgy stuff coming out of Jaycar lately.

kimtrang
55 posts
5 Mar 2017 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

I'd avoid the Chinese generic solar stuff Jaycar sells. It isn't cheap, nor is the quality reputable from what I've been able to determine on the web. I just installed a Victron 75/15 (75 is the max voltage input, while 15 is max amperage input), designed in the Netherlands and made in India. I paid $120 for the controller and another $140 for LCD controller/monitor from a authorised dealer on eBay. I considered other decent brands like Blue Sky, Outback and far more expensive (and future proof) US made options, but the Victron was too good value. One negative is that the smaller versions like mine lack the ability to monitor battery temperature at the battery, instead monitoring temp from the controller.

It it is only 15 amps, but Victron says adding additional controllers is no problem. It seems to get along well with my 40 amp AC smart charger.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
5 Mar 2017 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I've have and still use the power tech 30 amp
First on a 300 watt LG neon panel putting out a max of around 37 volts from memory ( off the panel and converting it to around 14.2 volts) at the power tech copntroler
at the moment its just running a 60 watt panel still at 14.12 not much running off it at the moment never given me any problem
Id crave for a mid nite but cant afford one. But the -power tech keeps going

Trek
NSW, 1146 posts
6 Mar 2017 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

I put an Australian made GSL solar regulator on Trek. Only worry was the electronics was open to the air (vents in case) so I had to dismantle it and spray insides with conformal coating before installing it. It really is an MPPT regulator, I tested it to make sure after buying a few fakes on Ebay. Going well for two years now.

Now they do have a water resistant one here www.gsl.com.au/mppt12p.html

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
6 Mar 2017 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

I've had an MPPT 3735 controlling my 250 Watt solar panel array for nearly 12 months now. It's well built, works well and has been entirely reliable.
Not all Chinese manufactured electronics are crap.

regards,
allan

Ramona
NSW, 7571 posts
6 Mar 2017 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

It's fairly rare to find anything electronic not made in China now. Always worth a search on Alibaba to find the same item with different brand names. Even items advertised as being made in USA are often talking about the packaging.

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
6 Mar 2017 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
It's fairly rare to find anything electronic not made in China now. Always worth a search on Alibaba to find the same item with different brand names. Even items advertised as being made in USA are often talking about the packaging.

+1

kimtrang
55 posts
6 Mar 2017 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

There are just too many question marks with this Chinese designed controller.

http://www.wombattechnology.com.au/pages/articles/mp3735-ends-in-tears.php

Some guy claims here that it isn't even a MPPT controller but PWM.

forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2221368

Jaycar has it as discontinued, but apparently still have some units left for sale.

www.jaycar.com.au/12v-24v-30a-mppt-solar-charge-controller/p/MP3735

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
6 Mar 2017 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

kimtrang said..
There are just too many question marks with this Chinese designed controller.

http://www.wombattechnology.com.au/pages/articles/mp3735-ends-in-tears.php

Some guy claims here that it isn't even a MPPT controller but PWM.

forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2221368

Jaycar has it as discontinued, but apparently still have some units left for sale.

www.jaycar.com.au/12v-24v-30a-mppt-solar-charge-controller/p/MP3735

As a professional Electronics Engineer, I ran out of patience trying to follow what wombattechnology was on about.
For example, he doesn't know that nominal 12V solar panels have can have a no load output of 19V, so 2 in series can produce up to 38V. Understandably, the unit reported an over voltage situation.
I gave up trying to follow the convoluted rubbish he went on with.
This is typical of uninformed people attempting to provide an opinion in a technical area in which they are totally ignorant.
It's unfortunate that people looking for informed advice encounter this sort of crap.
Incidentally, I have no connection with the manufacturer or vendors of this unit. I bought one for myself after assessing from a purely professional standpoint and so far, my opinion has been vindicated.
regards,
allan

kimtrang
55 posts
6 Mar 2017 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Why would a MPPT controller on a 12 volt battery throw an error when fed 38 volts of solar? Isn't that the whole point of having an MPPT?

One good thing about the internet is that empowers consumers to make decisions when buying, based on the experiences of other consumers. Why would that consumer buy a product where people post problems with it? There is a lot at stake with solar controllers- I've killed 2 battery banks in the past with an apparently faulty (but seemed ok) Plasmatronic PL20 controller.

Here's another

www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/powertech-mppt-controller-is-it-working-as-it-should-176505.html

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Mar 2017 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

I had two 150 amp hour batteries with a LG neon 300 watt and it never gave me a problem while down at Patterson lakes.
it charged most of the time cloudy days and early morning as the LG takes the suns rays from under the cell as well as on top. So it would keep charging late in the day and earlier than most others I'm putting another on probably 305 watt.
Ill be able to toss a power lead to south ace keep him going and get carbon offsets.
if he does not pay his bill Ill turn his TV off

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
7 Mar 2017 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

BE AWARE OF POWERTECH!

Here is the situ:
Unfortunately, I bought a Powertech MP 3735 at Jaycar which did not work properly. When the charge fell below .5 Amps it went to 'night mode' and never ever recovered from it. Period.
Took it back, the guy hooked it up to batteries, not a solar panel, and after fiddling with it, he realised it is doing what l said, anddeclared the unit faulty. Gave me another one which does the same, cuts out when a cloud comes over and stays like that forewer.

I rang him and explained the situ. He said, they hooked up a panel to the faulty controller l took back, and it worked properly. Yeah, but it never went into sleep mode for luck of sun!

I have my old 40W panel at home and l hooked up the unit to that, thinking my new 120W panel on the boat must be faulty. It started charging nicely in full sun giving 22.6 V and 2.4 Amps while it was shining. When it became overcast the unit shut down and never restarted when the sun shown it's face again. (the same problem mentioned in the Cruiser forum article)
The panel on the boat gives 22.8 V and over 5 Amps at the panel joint and at the end of the PV cable as well.
So even Trek was not able to say anithing else but 'take it back' which l am planning to do and give Jaycar a miss in the future. Or fight them all the way if they are not willing to credit me.
No wonder, guys like Aquavolt survives in this eBay infested world. I am going to buy my next controller from him for a grossly inflated price and l am sure l can rely on the item because he backs up his range.

As far as the comments are concerned, l read all the quoted internet sites and it gave me the conviction that neither, Electus Distributors nor Jaycar gives a toss about what they are having on their shelfs as long as some fool buys them.

wongaga
VIC, 619 posts
7 Mar 2017 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

I bought a "Tracer" MPPT over Ebay 3 years ago and it works well and is still going strong. I wired an A/B switch to test it against the old PWM and it gave around 30% more power in both strong and weak sunlight conditions. Max battery charging current I have seen is 4.5A (verified with multimeter) from 3 x 20W Powertech panels. If still available they are a good cheap buy.
It cost around $130 with remote meter.

Cheers, Graeme

Trek
NSW, 1146 posts
7 Mar 2017 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

The guy at Jaycar cannot test an MPPT regulator as simply as he did.

A good MPPT regulator "tracks" the best load to put on the solar panel to get the most power out of it at any time, maybe updating at once a second. It does this by measuring the voltage and current coming out of the solar panel at the same time. Then it increases the current drawn from the solar panel until it sees the voltage start to drop and that is the maximum power point at that exact second. Next second it might be different. It might increase or decrease the load.

Then a second part of the good MPPT regulator charges and maintains charge on your battery/s like a normal charger.

To test one you need a bench top power supply with variable voltage (say 0 - 30V) and variable current (say 0 - 5A). This is common in electronics workshops. Then you need a flat battery and a voltmeter across it and and current meter in series with it. The battery has to be flat, if you try to test the regulator with a fully charged battery part two of the regulator might not put any charge into the battery at all because its already charged and you might erroneously think the regulator is faulty.

Then you vary the power supply to all kinds of voltage and current settings that the MPPT regulator claims it can handle and you should always see the battery charging. You can work it out by power. If you set the power supply to 23.5V and a current limit of 4.6A then the power supply can put out a maximum of 23.5x4.6 watts. (Like an example of the maximum power point of a fully loaded solar panel). Thats a maximum of 108.1 watts. Next, assuming the battery is flat at 12.0V we can work out what the amps will be going into it if we have 108.1W of power available. So 108.1/12 is 9A. "Derate" it 10% for losses in the unit is 8.1A. That means if its a real MPPT regulator and its book says it can charge at say "up to 10A" you should see 8.1A going into the battery.

Then theres another parameter called "buck/boost". All MPPT regulators (if they a real ones) can "buck" a high voltage from a solar panel down to the 12-14V level to charge the battery. Not many do "boost". ie. boost up say 10V from the solar panel to the 12-14V level to charge the battery. You need to check your MPPT regulator to see if it does what it is supposed to do.

You can test an MMPT regulator, but not how the Jaycar guy did, its not that simple!!

zilla
143 posts
7 Mar 2017 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
nor Jaycar gives a toss about what they are having on their shelfs

I no longer buy stuff from Jaycar. About 70% of products I purchased from them failed. Just rubbish quality I think.
These days I use Altronics.
I do use a Powertech MP3720 PWM controller for my car solar panel (80W) and it has worked well for 3 yrs to date.
I use a Sunsaver SS10 (Morningstar) PWM controller for my boat solar panels (100W) and it has worked well for 7 yrs to date.
I use a Victron MPPT controller for my caravan solar panels (420W) and it has worked well for the past 3 yrs. (Had a couple of tricky problems with it that Victron were not interested in helping with but I solved it myself. I don't like the company and their products are now at the bottom of my preference list).
I'd recommend using an Australian company. There are a couple of them but sorry can't think of their names off the top of my head.
I'd also only bother with a MPPT controller. They are not much more expensive than PWM controllers so I think the extra benefits are worth it.

fishmonkey
NSW, 494 posts
7 Mar 2017 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

i agree. lots of the stuff at Jaycar nowadays is cheap and nasty. not enough care is going in to their selection of products. i guess they are struggling hard to compete and survive in the consumer realm...

Charriot
QLD, 880 posts
7 Mar 2017 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Trek, like your test, I didn't have chance to test MPPT yet. I wonder when you record the data of the test and
replace MPPT with schottky diode and re-run the test, what would be a difference.
Secondly, when solar voltage drops below chargeable level MPPT / the good ones only / can boost, but I wonder
is there any worthwhile current left - justify expensive MPPT. thanks

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
7 Mar 2017 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Well, the Jaycar saga ends here.
I took it back and they refunded the money, which was a right thing to do. Appreciated Jaycar!

Now, l am on the hunt for a good mppt controller which is going to work doing the things it supposed to do.

I do not want anything which has to be dismantled and sprayed or any other mumbo. (sorry Tony)
I want a good product with warranty back up, made by the devil or in china l don't give a toss.

Any ideas of a reliable brand, you are using, fellows? (30 Amp load, LCD display for 300W panels)
Ah, and no eBay either.

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
7 Mar 2017 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

I use the Plasmatronics PL-20. I reckon its brilliant.

www.plasmatronics.com.au/

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
7 Mar 2017 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Morningstar MPPT "Tristar 45amp" I have the 60 amp model and works a treat. These are a top of the line and top price regulator, but you get what you pay for.
www.morningstarcorp.com/products/

Karsten
NSW, 331 posts
8 Mar 2017 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trek said..
The guy at Jaycar cannot test an MPPT regulator as simply as he did.

Then theres another parameter called "buck/boost". All MPPT regulators (if they a real ones) can "buck" a high voltage from a solar panel down to the 12-14V level to charge the battery. Not many do "boost". ie. boost up say 10V from the solar panel to the 12-14V level to charge the battery. You need to check your MPPT regulator to see if it does what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for the excellent detail, Trek, pretty solid post.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Mar 2017 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Jode5 said..
Morningstar MPPT "Tristar 45amp" I have the 60 amp model and works a treat. These are a top of the line and top price regulator, but you get what you pay for.
www.morningstarcorp.com/products/

In this world you get what you pay for your absolutely right Jode 5 .
I'm a little bit nervous to leave that controller on the boat once I fill it with house batteries

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
8 Mar 2017 2:21AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, Trek's expertise is always appreciated! He is very helpful and willing to share his knowledge. +10!
If karma was working, he should not have a problem with his engine!

Jolene, l think your controller is not an mppt controller but pwm's which are - as l understand - a different category, entirely.

By the way, found this beauties on fleabay:

Why are the blurbs written in chinglish anyway.
Couldn't they afford an expert to translate it to proper English?
It is insulting!

This second one is dribbling with dishonesty with that controller - which is not in the deal, as l understand - on the ad.
Strewth!

Karsten
NSW, 331 posts
8 Mar 2017 2:23AM
Thumbs Up

I found this paragraph on an educational solar page - it may explain Sirgallivant's PowerTech regulator behaviour:

"...There are a few non-computerised (that is, linear) MPPT's charge controls around. These are much easier and cheaper to build and design than the digital ones. They do improve efficiency somewhat, but overall the efficiency can vary a lot - and we have seen a few lose their "tracking point" and actually get worse. That can happen occasionally if a cloud passes over the panel - the linear circuit searches for the next best point, but then gets too far out on the deep end to find it again when the sun comes out. Thankfully, not many of these around any more...."

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
8 Mar 2017 2:39AM
Thumbs Up

Karsten, you might be right, but it is not my problem any more.
My problem is, who is going to try to rip me off next time?

Trek
NSW, 1146 posts
8 Mar 2017 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Charriot said..
Hi Trek, like your test, I didn't have chance to test MPPT yet. I wonder when you record the data of the test and
replace MPPT with schottky diode and re-run the test, what would be a difference.
Secondly, when solar voltage drops below chargeable level MPPT / the good ones only / can boost, but I wonder
is there any worthwhile current left - justify expensive MPPT. thanks

A real MMT regulator could give 3 or 5 times more charge current than a Shottky diode. Even though Schottky diodes are better than silicon they dont let the solar panel develop its full power for a given amount of sunlight, but it depends on the exact solar panel. If you look at graph below middle curve its maximum power point is at 28V where you would get 7A which is 196W. If you used a diode you would get 13V and 3.5A which is only 54W. (Green circles).

The current left at 10V is small but worthwhile (red circle) if you are in a heavily cloudy place. On this graph the middle line solar panel develops up to 2.8A at 10V. Thats 28W. If your battery is flat (12.0V for example) then charge current should be around 28 x 0.9 / 12. ie. 2.1A if your MPPT regulator can do "boost". So even with 10V from the solar panel on a cloudy day you can charge a 12V battery with 2A charge current. That would come in handy on Lake Zurich for example where it was fogged for two months straight once when I was there!!

Charriot
QLD, 880 posts
8 Mar 2017 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that, you just highlight the MPPT must have booster to use full potential of the panels.

Karsten
NSW, 331 posts
8 Mar 2017 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
Karsten, you might be right, but it is not my problem any more.
My problem is, who is going to try to rip me off next time?

Quite right - there is a five mile long queue of petty and not so petty vendors waiting to do the rip at the earliest.

Here's a possible approach:
- If you want economical, then buy a very simple device; less parts, less design, less to fail. Not a disaster if it breaks. Get sub-optimal battery charging.
- If you want smart, intelligent, algorithm driven charging, buy only expensive brand name from established physical store. And keep away from online sellers of said device.

I know this approach is painful to adhere to in practice.

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
8 Mar 2017 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Trek, thanks for the tip on the Oz made GSL Electronics unit, looked them up and they were located nearby so just went over and talked to them. Went for their latest waterproof MPPT controller unit which is good for up to 200W of panels, mine will only be 160W. GSL offered me 10% off list price but said I could probably get a better deal from one of their nearby retailers, that was the case and I saved nearly $50 (had to go back to GSL the next day as I organised to pick it up myself and save $12 delivery to the retailer). Now I just need to go back over some of the previous threads to find good quality/prices on a single decent sized deep-cycle AGM battery around 200AHr as my 2 X 250 AHr batteries are stuffed, probably through a failed single cell in one of the batteries bringing both batteries down($1300 and only 4 yrs of light duty in a weekender, not multiple discharges). Sorry, MPPT 12-2P was about $107. No financial interest!.except to encourage: Oz design+manufacture=jobs-dole payments.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
9 Mar 2017 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

That is interesting, because at the same time yesterday l did the same. I googled the living daylight out of the subject and managed to go further with the search. Managed to find the gsl mppt 30-2 model from gsl and searched amongst the retailers - on suggestion of the gsl guy - to find a much better price. After eBay did not prove a success l found rexel distributors in Alexandria. The guy discounted the price much further and instead of $470.- + $193.- for the mppt unit and remote display respectively, l got the offer to buy the lot for $473.- incl.gst.
Ok, it is not cheap at face value, l admit, but after paying for the jaycar stuff $250 and wasting 3 days on fitting and removing and exchange and more fitting and frustration it is not that expensive either.

So here we go presently, the manufacturer is approachable, helpful, the firm is next door, in Seven Hills not in whoknowswhere, hiding behind a web addresse.
This means a tangible two year warranty! Not a chase of a web addresse.
Thanksfor the idea Trek!

Serenite
46 posts
29 Jan 2018 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I realise I'm reviving an old thread here but have a query relating to wiring of solar controllers and mine happens to be the Jaycar model discussed above which so far has given me trouble free service.

My question is should I have fuses or circuit breakers between
a) the solar panels (160 watts I think) and the controller and/or
b) the controller and the battery bank.

At the moment I have only an isolating switch between the controller and batteries with that switch on the negative rather than the positive lead. Same result I know but isn't it more normal to switch the positive?

I do of course have the master switches for house battery bank, engine battery and negative but can't isolate the panels from the batteries without turning the whole electrical system off.

Any advice appreciated.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"powertech 3735 mppt controller" started by sirgallivant