Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Axis 101

Created by bigtone667 > 9 months ago, 16 Dec 2019
bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
16 Dec 2019 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

I have been wing dinging on the AXIS 102/82 foil wings for the better part of five months now and was handed the AXIS 101 for a bit of a play. The AXIS 101 is basically as wide as 102, but the overall profile is much thinner and the depth (chord) of the wing is about 2/3's. The 101 wing is quite flat compared to the 102.

The AXIS 102 is ~2000cm2, the AXIS 101 is ~ 1500cm2.

I basically removed the AXIS 82 wing and bolted on the AXIS 101.

The first thing I realised is you need screws that are about 5mm shorter because the wing has a much thinner profile.

The next thing I learnt was I cannot pump the board as hard on the 101 as the 102. If I pushed too hard, I essentially collapsed the board back onto the water at such low speeds. I had to gently the ease wing up. Once I had a little bit of speed, pumping was no issue at all. The AXIS 102 is a better "low wind" starter than the 101.

I was winging in gusty 12 to 18 knots and you can feel the faster acceleration in the 101 wing compared to the 102. The wing just took off with the gusts. Quite fun.

I have the same comments for kiting or Winging with this foil wing.

Carves like a dream.
Got over 30km/h easy.
Still on the foil at 14km/h.

The 102 is boring compared to the 101.

flkiter
84 posts
16 Dec 2019 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

How's it compare to the 1000?

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
16 Dec 2019 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

I never tried it, but they look very similar.

I went and checked the wing specs on the wing itself and it definitely says 101cm.

bigmtn
51 posts
16 Dec 2019 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Got a pic?

Camarillo
367 posts
16 Dec 2019 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

S1010 volume 1732 cm^3
S1000 volume 1904 cm^3
S1020 volume 4161 cm^3

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Dec 2019 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Bigtone667 what rear did you run ? I've ridden the whole Axis range and found the 101 can easily match the maximum speed of the 90 & 100 and far more than the 102 . It also has a much slower stall speed than the 90 &100. However the 102 can also foil very slow without collapsing like the 90 or 100.

The wide flat rear really makes a difference but found it a bit skatey on the wing foil with the 101 as they are both very flat. The DW paddle guys however love it as it's really easy to paddle up and holds well from bump to bump. Pump wise I found it really good but it is a different pump style like the new GoFoil GL's . The wide flat high aspect wings do take a bit to get used to. The Perth test DW riders really like it but they working on a slightly smaller version and the can become a handful at speed. Agree the 102 does feel very slow compared to the 101 and blows out at much

Plenty going on in the Axis R&D camp with more M shaped surf wings coming out like the new 66 just released.exciting times ahead.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
16 Dec 2019 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Looks exactly like the 1000 ...... 101cm wide, 1430cm2

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
16 Dec 2019 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Bigtone667 what rear did you run ? I've ridden the whole Axis range and found the 101 can easily match the maximum speed of the 90 & 100 and far more than the 102 . It also has a much slower stall speed than the 90 &100. However the 102 can also foil very slow without collapsing like the 90 or 100.

The wide flat rear really makes a difference but found it a bit skatey on the wing foil with the 101 as they are both very flat. The DW paddle guys however love it as it's really easy to paddle up and holds well from bump to bump. Pump wise I found it really good but it is a different pump style like the new GoFoil GL's . The wide flat high aspect wings do take a bit to get used to. The Perth test DW riders really like it but they working on a slightly smaller version and the can become a handful at speed.

Plenty going on in the Axis R&D camp with more M shaped surf wings coming out like the new 75 just released.

I had 440 rear wing and the long fuselage today.......

It is an interesting beast to pump up onto. I am using the wing and a weird popping/thrusting movement to thrust the wing forward to get a little bit of board speed. Once I have a small amount of speed the pumping becomes pretty easy and thing shoots forward and up. A slight variation on my current technique for a low aspect wing. I think I only collapsed the board/wing twice today pumping.

I was winging in 20 odd knots and struggled on a 5m duotone, but a 7m gong (with it's butterfly tendencies) worked really well in thrusting the board forward and up.

Normally I would be fine with the 5m and 2000cm2 wing in 20 knots,, so it makes sense that the 1430cm2 foil needed the 7m. Once I was up, zoom!!

The speed thing is interesting. I was only riding little one foot lake bumps and as soon as I turned down them with the wing under power, I would take off like a madman. Had to be very aware of the need to push the board down and forward, so I would not breach my little 65cm mast. Did some nice leaps over the foil wing today.

I appreciate your reference to feeling a little skatey. I don't feel it at all under power, but once I am riding slowly downwind and completely flat, it feels skatey. The zeeko XXL spitfire displayed the same tendencies, so I assume it is typical of very flat wings.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Dec 2019 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I mainly wing foil Downwind so I get to much higher speeds getting up to 35kph . Very different to reaching in calmer waters . The longer mast is a must , I only use the 75 plus I'm on the short fuse ( not ultra short) Wing wise I only use the Duotone 4m . My wind range is 18 and up but can do it in 15 but struggle on my bad side getting up but again can get up on the Axis 90 in those conditions. I'm a rear wing Nazi as it really changes everything, I have a box full of rears modified to fit my rigs .

Thatspec
354 posts
16 Dec 2019 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

That is just a great looking wing. Thinking about machining a Go Foil to Axis wing adapter from aluminum. A buddy is always looking for interesting projects for his 5 axis Haas cnc mill. Should be enough meat there to work.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
16 Dec 2019 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Yeah I mainly wing foil Downwind so I get to much higher speeds getting up to 35kph . Very different to reaching in calmer waters . The longer mast is a must , I only use the 75 plus I'm on the short fuse ( not ultra short) Wing wise I only use the Duotone 4m . My wind range is 18 and up but can do it in 15 but struggle on my bad side getting up but again can get up on the Axis 90 in those conditions. I'm a rear wing Nazi as it really changes everything, I have a box full of rears modified to fit my rigs .

I haven't really played much with the rear wing, but it might time to grab a small one. Currently have the 440 and 400.

frenchfoiler
505 posts
16 Dec 2019 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

How does it feel compare to 1000 for DW? Especially the take off.
Because I love the 1000 once I'm up (still need at least 20nd) but I found hard to take off if the bumps are not steep enough.

Im looking forward trying the 101 which I think and hope would be in between the 92/102 and 1000 (easy to catch a bump, good speed, good glide even at lower speed).

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Dec 2019 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Bigtone the flat Axis rear is similar to the Signature/ Uni 18" race and the GoFoil GL but just a bit more pulled in on the tips . Gives a lot more lift and glide without the blowing out features of other rears . I'd be trying this first.

Frenchfoiler the 100 is really a great wing but the 101 is the gap filler for more low speed lift and lower stall speed. This is what the 90 & 100 lack. If it's blowing hard and you are an experienced rider the 90 & 100 will do the job but overall the 101 is easier to ride and more efficient. It bridges the gap for lower wind and swell days and takes the beginner to intermediate rider to an more advanced stage much quicker . A lot of work went into this wing for exactly this purpose .

It actually works so well they are working on a slightly smaller one for the more advanced riders.

frenchfoiler
505 posts
16 Dec 2019 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Bigtone the flat Axis rear is similar to the Signature/ Uni 18" race and the GoFoil GL but just a bit more pulled in on the tips . Gives a lot more lift and glide without the blowing out features of other rears . I'd be trying this first.

Frenchfoiler the 100 is really a great wing but the 101 is the gap filler for more low speed lift and lower stall speed. This is what the 90 & 100 lack. If it's blowing hard and you are an experienced rider the 90 & 100 will do the job but overall the 101 is easier to ride and more efficient. It bridges the gap for lower wind and swell days and takes the beginner to intermediate rider to an more advanced stage much quicker . A lot of work went into this wing for exactly this purpose .

It actually works so well they are working on a slightly smaller one for the more advanced riders.

Thanks Piros, exactly waht I wanted to hear.

flkiter
84 posts
17 Dec 2019 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Piros, sounds like the perfect wing for my location. Axis is awesome that stuff gets produced and into our hands so quickly and it's all great quality gear.

frenchfoiler
505 posts
3 Feb 2020 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

So I tried the 101 with flat rear on a dw.

It wasn't a big dw, around 18nd but with wind swell bumps.

It is definetly easier to take off than the 900 or 1000. But not as easy as the 102. Maybe close to the 92.

I didn't have my gps watch and I was foiling with 14' racers no other foiler so hard to tell the speed.

It felt really stable and fast, I didn't have to use my paddle during the run, only quick pumping to speed up when needed which is a good thing.

Compared to the 1000, it is not as good for turning/carving but it is way more forgiving, when you loose your momentum/speed you stay up longer which allows you to speed up (pumping or paddling).

I need to see how fast it is but I think on a bigger dw I might use a smaller stab (I'm thinking making a smaller stab) and a 90cm mast.

This match my expectation, I was looking for something between the 102/92 and the 1000, and this is exactly watch it is.

Hank1
NSW, 42 posts
6 Feb 2020 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Great detailed review on the 101, thanks!

You mentioned trying a smaller rear next DW? What did you not like about it, feel stiff ?

Can I ask what length fuselage you used DWing with that wing and also on 102/92 and the 1000.

Thanks

flkiter
84 posts
6 Feb 2020 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've been playing with the 1010 wing with different set ups the past week and found I really like it on the ultra short fuselage and with the flat rear or 370 rear. If the set up was on the short fuselage then it was slower and just felt like a little of an up grade from the 102. The ultra short fuselage really opens up its pumpabilty, its turning speed and having the least amount of drag in the tail allows for the speed the front wing can go.
I usually use a short fuselage for wing foiling but, with the 101, I'm keeping ultra short for sup and wing. This wing is actually more stable than the 1000 so tweak your set up. I'm looking forward to a smaller flat rear.

frenchfoiler
505 posts
7 Feb 2020 1:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hank1 said..
Great detailed review on the 101, thanks!

You mentioned trying a smaller rear next DW? What did you not like about it, feel stiff ?

Can I ask what length fuselage you used DWing with that wing and also on 102/92 and the 1000.

Thanks

I use ultrashort fus, this what I had also when I was on the 102/92/1000.

I'm thinking smaller rear for big dw to get more turning ability but I'm not sure I need to try.
I like the flat rear for light/medium DW, you can feel the extra speed and glide.

Hank1
NSW, 42 posts
7 Feb 2020 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

I agree that a smaller rear feels way more nimble and maneuverable when the bumps get bigger DW.

On the fuselage, it feels to me that on the ultrashort the pumping arc feels like I use a lot less energy and effort however i'm not sure if i get the same forward momentum as the short or standard?

Does anyone know of any actual testing data on this from the Axis DW test guys? Maybe the West Australia Axis DW guys?

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
7 Feb 2020 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
I have been wing dinging on the AXIS 102/82 foil wings for the better part of five months now and was handed the AXIS 101 for a bit of a play. The AXIS 101 is basically as wide as 102, but the overall profile is much thinner and the depth (chord) of the wing is about 2/3's. The 101 wing is quite flat compared to the 102.

The first thing I realised is you need screws that are about 5mm shorter because the wing has a much thinner profile.

The next thing I learnt was I cannot pump the board as hard on the 101 as the 102. If I pushed too hard, I essentially collapsed the board back onto the water at such low speeds. I had to gently the ease wing up. Once I had a little bit of speed, pumping was no issue at all. The AXIS 102 is a better "low wind" starter than the 101.

I was winging in gusty 12 to 18 knots and you can feel the faster acceleration in the 101 wing compared to the 102. The wing just took off with the gusts. Quite fun.

Carves like a dream.
Got over 30km/h easy.

Thanks for the read bigtone667

I have a question for you. I love Prone foiling on the GF 200 & The NP medium wing can't wait for the XL NP wing to come on the market for me as a heavyweight.

I have been looking at the AXIS wing for me as a Heavyweight over the last 2 years for when I decide to get into SUP Downwind foiling.

I have been Downwind paddling for some 17 years already & know how to read ocean swells when looking for a bump to glide on. I've paddle an 18ft Prone Paddleboard & a 12ft Prone Paddleboard along with my 18ft SUP Downwind board at an Elite level & have a sh@#load of winning trophies.

As a beginner kook on the SUP foil I believe the AXIS 102 wing would be ideal for a Heavyweight like myself to learn on quickly before I try the 101 wing. I see you say the 102 is boring ( I don't really want to SUP foil in the surf - Prone foiling is way more fun - but I understand I'll need to work out the SUP foil in the surf before I go Downwinding on her).

YES there is a lot of Foils on the market but there is not many good foils that cater for the Big Heavyweight Guys like myself.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
7 Feb 2020 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Phil,
The axis 101 could work well for you, I have not used it myself. Or try the GL240 or the Takuma 1900. All these 3 wings work downwinding for big guys who are experienced. I suggest though if you have access to a M280 do yourself a favor and get on that first. Make it easy then move to one of the other wings I mentioned. I am 90kg and use the GL240 most of the time in wind chop conditions, GL210 when theres swell and more wind. So many people wanting to learn on faster wings but what is important on downwinding is you the work out the technique first. It ain't easy at the start don't matter how many trophies you have.... Be prepared to do a few runs with limited success. Just get a high lift wing first. Persist as its the best form of foiling IMO!

Clamsmasha
WA, 311 posts
7 Feb 2020 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hank1 said..
I agree that a smaller rear feels way more nimble and maneuverable when the bumps get bigger DW.

On the fuselage, it feels to me that on the ultrashort the pumping arc feels like I use a lot less energy and effort however i'm not sure if i get the same forward momentum as the short or standard?

Does anyone know of any actual testing data on this from the Axis DW test guys? Maybe the West Australia Axis DW guys?

I talk to the WA guys a bit, I'm pretty sure they run the ultra short. I'm not a DW guy but I've got my GF rigged to be ultra short...I find the longer fuse feels a bit draggy, like the stab and main are fighting each other. It's most noticeable when you turn along a swell line or bump.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
7 Feb 2020 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scotty Mac said..
It ain't easy at the start don't matter how many trophies you have....

GOLD!

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
7 Feb 2020 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Downwinder said..

bigtone667 said..

Carves like a dream.
Got over 30km/h easy.

As a beginner kook on the SUP foil I believe the AXIS 102 wing would be ideal for a Heavyweight like myself to learn on quickly before I try the 101 wing. I see you say the 102 is boring ( I don't really want to SUP foil in the surf - Prone foiling is way more fun - but I understand I'll need to work out the SUP foil in the surf before I go Downwinding on her).

102 wing should work well.

I use the 102 when I wing ding in 12/15 knots as it is effectively a light wind weapon for me. Super easy to bounce up onto and stays up on the foil in 6/7 knots.

It became less boring as I started to use my wing as pivot point. 101 is more fun, but the 102 works better in light conditions for me.

frenchfoiler
505 posts
7 Feb 2020 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scotty Mac said..
Phil,
The axis 101 could work well for you, I have not used it myself. Or try the GL240 or the Takuma 1900. All these 3 wings work downwinding for big guys who are experienced. I suggest though if you have access to a M280 do yourself a favor and get on that first. Make it easy then move to one of the other wings I mentioned. I am 90kg and use the GL240 most of the time in wind chop conditions, GL210 when theres swell and more wind. So many people wanting to learn on faster wings but what is important on downwinding is you the work out the technique first. It ain't easy at the start don't matter how many trophies you have.... Be prepared to do a few runs with limited success. Just get a high lift wing first. Persist as its the best form of foiling IMO!

I agree, GF280 is the one to start first, expecially if you have already a GF, then go smaller around 2000cm2, then you can go for hight aspect faster wing but not before you are comfortable dwinding with the big wing.

Axis 102, Armstrong 2500, GL 240, Sroka XL, Gong XXL, Naish??, plenty of foil for bigger guys.

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
7 Feb 2020 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

Scotty Mac said..
It ain't easy at the start don't matter how many trophies you have....

GOLD!

hahaha, love that burn Casso. I'll bet you a few schooners of beer next time our paths cross that you have a few cricket trophies.

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
7 Feb 2020 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

I use the 102 when I wing ding in 12/15 knots as it is effectively a light wind weapon for me. Super easy to bounce up onto and stays up on the foil in 6/7 knots.

It became less boring as I started to use my wing as pivot point. 101 is more fun, but the 102 works better in light conditions for me.

Thanks for the feedback bigtone667

Camarillo
367 posts
7 Feb 2020 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

bigtone667 said..

Bit confusing : it seem that some people are talking about downwinding with a peddle and some are talking about winging with the 101

I can get the 102 up in a 12 Knots gust with my 6.0 Swing and keep it going in about 7 knots

But when when I try downwinding with peddle I am struggling in our conditions, even in 30 knots
Next thing I will try is a longer board with more glide....

But I ordered the 101, it will be great for winging and and two for one's !!

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
7 Feb 2020 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scotty Mac said..
Phil,

Thanks Scotty, for the feed back.
I do like what the AXIS gives for the Heavyweight from what I've seen & from what my close friends on Maui have told me plus the crew from Surf FX "legends"

I do love GF but not really into the GF 240 wing I had a go of the GF 240 wing in the surf & she felt too sluggish. That's the old style GF 240 I'm talking about - the new GF 240 maybe better? I'm a Big Fan of the GF 200 though, love it.

When I do give SUP Downwind foiling a go I'll go from Broadbeach SLSC to North Burleigh SLCS = 5km when it's NE or Currumbin Alley to North Burleigh SLSC = 7km in a SE'r

I know Scotty Mac I'll be p@#sing into the wind when I do start learning who to SUP foil Downwind, My close friends on Maui guys like Jeremy Riggs & co tell me I'll be able to work it out quickly. "fingers crossed."

mrnorthsouth
6 posts
8 Feb 2020 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

For anyone wondering...dock starts and static starts are possible. Had fun with the 101 today. Definitely different pump and turn technique though. I like the glide!

www.instagram.com/p/B8SYTcFnXTW/?igshid=u9pr7ffpcifi

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Axis 101" started by bigtone667