Cloud IX F-32 Vs MFC 1400

Created by BurleighFoil > 9 months ago, 1 Jul 2020
bluewave
43 posts
15 Aug 2020 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
StephenZ said..
I have an F32. For me it's unbelievable for kitefoiling. Just perfect in every way for what I want in a foil. The F28 might be better still if you like to ride harder.
I've also been using the F32 for winging. I thought it was going to be too small for this, and yes it probably is, for the way I like to ride. It takes a bit of effort to get onto it, and in particular a bit of speed to engage the foil - if you try to pump it too soon with not enough speed it just gives way. So it needs a bit of wind. But once up on the foil, the glide is incredible, and it is so easy to pump, and stays foiling with minimal effort. And it has the at time elusive but very appealing feature of being completely silent.
I now got a F38 as well, possibly one of the first around. This thing is a weapon. Can't try it out for some time as in lockdown.

Very interested in the F 32 and 38 for wingfoiling, I'm in Maui and not not seen one here just yet... What are the wind conditions and your weight when you tried these foils?? Please share some more about these coolest looking foils...

StephenZ
VIC, 74 posts
15 Aug 2020 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bluewave said..

StephenZ said..
I have an F32. For me it's unbelievable for kitefoiling. Just perfect in every way for what I want in a foil. The F28 might be better still if you like to ride harder.
I've also been using the F32 for winging. I thought it was going to be too small for this, and yes it probably is, for the way I like to ride. It takes a bit of effort to get onto it, and in particular a bit of speed to engage the foil - if you try to pump it too soon with not enough speed it just gives way. So it needs a bit of wind. But once up on the foil, the glide is incredible, and it is so easy to pump, and stays foiling with minimal effort. And it has the at time elusive but very appealing feature of being completely silent.
I now got a F38 as well, possibly one of the first around. This thing is a weapon. Can't try it out for some time as in lockdown.

Very interested in the F 32 and 38 for wingfoiling, I'm in Maui and not not seen one here just yet... What are the wind conditions and your weight when you tried these foils?? Please share some more about these coolest looking foils...

You are very fortunate to be in Maui!
I am in Melbourne, wind conditions are mainly moderate summer sea breezes and in winter mainly frontal systems that can get quite strong.
My weight is 77kg. I think I was able to get foiling on the F32 in about 16-17 knots with a 5 and maybe 20-21 with the 4.2. Can't add anything to the above for now as we're prohibited by covid restrictions for the next 4 weeks :( and still not tried the F38.
I'm chomping at the bit to try the 38 for winging. It looks like slightly stretched version of the 32. I'm hoping that the extra width and lift will decrease takeoff horsepower required enough to work in lighter winds as well. Will share when I get the chance.

bluewave
43 posts
16 Aug 2020 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to your thought on the F38

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
17 Aug 2020 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
StephenZ said..

I have noticed too that if you try and pump the F32 too soon it stalls, needs more speed, and that is true for most if not all higher aspect wings. The F38 is insane for small days, winging and pumping back out. I have been on mine since they arrived and i never get tired of it.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
17 Aug 2020 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pasquales said..
Thanks for the background info and conditions regarding how the Cloud IX was used. It's important to have context, as there are many different kits coming out. My first foil was the original P series and was used for prone foiling, others used it for kiting. Their systems have changed so much.

They still have the X series although there will be some changes to the design, a little higher aspect than previously, still incorporating the dihedral shape, nothing set in concrete yet but that seems the direction they are heading with the X. The F series is their flagship and deservedly so, the wings are so efficient, i can believe how well they fly and pump for such small surface area.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
17 Aug 2020 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bluewave said..

StephenZ said..

The Cloud boys are in Hawaii so definitely reach out to them via their web page and they can hook you up and possibly have some demo wings as well. I weigh 175 lbs and the F32 is pretty much my go to wing, the F38 for smaller days o if you were wing foiling.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
17 Aug 2020 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
StephenZ said..

bluewave said..

StephenZ said..

I am in Melbourne, wind conditions are mainly moderate summer sea breezes and in winter mainly frontal systems that can get quite strong.
My weight is 77kg. I think I was able to get foiling on the F32 in about 16-17 knots with a 5 and maybe 20-21 with the 4.2. Can't add anything to the above for now as we're prohibited by covid restrictions for the next 4 weeks :( and still not tried the F38.
I'm chomping at the bit to try the 38 for winging. It looks like slightly stretched version of the 32. I'm hoping that the extra width and lift will decrease takeoff horsepower required enough to work in lighter winds as well. Will share when I get the chance.

The F38 has pretty much the same Surface area as the F32 but extends 2 inches either side, the increase in SA is not massive but the effect is . These wings are so efficient that you dont need to focus on SA alone, I think you will be fine on the F38 for winging, it has more lift and glide and pumps like a machine.

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
17 Aug 2020 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

The F32 has a surface area of 1129cm2 & the F38 is 1300cm2 so that's a significant difference in surface area.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
17 Aug 2020 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
The F32 has a surface area of 1129cm2 & the F38 is 1300cm2 so that's a significant difference in surface area.

171cm2 is not a great deal of difference compared with the amount of lift and glide that it provides.

Oceanfrother
VIC, 20 posts
17 Aug 2020 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BurleighFoil said..

StephenZ said..

bluewave said..

StephenZ said..

The F38 has pretty much the same Surface area as the F32 but extends 2 inches either side, the increase in SA is not massive but the effect is . These wings are so efficient that you dont need to focus on SA alone, I think you will be fine on the F38 for winging, it has more lift and glide and pumps like a machine.

Hey BurleighFoil

I have both the F28 arriving this week and the F38 is a couple of weeks, Cant wait. Just loving the F32!!! Can you tell me with the F38 is it as forgiving as the 32 with breaching wing tips?? I like the glide of the higher aspec wings but find them not very forgiving when breaching a wingtip on the tighter turns.

Cheers, Chris

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
2 Sep 2020 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
exiled said..
Thanks for putting in the effort. I know that reviews like this don't always get the most interaction, but they do a lot to build the wider foil community.

appreciate the feedback and comments. This sport is in its infancy so the more we can disseminate information about the options available, the better the growth in the community.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
2 Sep 2020 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
db541 said..
Great info thanks! Lots of what seems to be well deserved hype as far as the Cloud 9 goes.
If you were into Sup foiling mixed w prone with the cloud 9 setup at 85/90 kg would you go F32 and then up to F38 for the smallest gutless sup days? Just curious...

since i responded to your question i have a friend who sups and has been killing it on the F32. he is likely 90kg and is just flying, carving, slicing and then pumping back out like a machine. he is also getting the F38 but i really don think he needs it., he said he wants that for downwinding which makes more sense. I have been riding the F38 for a few weeks now and love the feel of it. It has really helped me with my pumping technique in a very short amount of time.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
2 Sep 2020 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chrisactive said..
I can't believe more people aren't talking about the F series?! I have been on the F32 for a month now and it keeps blowing me away what this foil is capable of. Have the F28 arriving soon :-) Who else is out there riding these wings??

I thought I was finally in control of my foil brain but now I am back to square one.

Feels like I have found the holy grail!!!

Agreed. I am surprised that there is so little buzz about this revolutionary wing. The design is different and a step forward in the evolution of wings, it is extremely efficient and fun to ride. I was enjoying the MFC and then i tried the Cloud and, like you, my foil brain is on overload. More please. I have been riding the F38 for the last few weeks and it is amazing, such glide and pump, and still turns super hard. Amazing wings.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
3 Sep 2020 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chrisactive said..
I can't believe more people aren't talking about the F series?! I have been on the F32 for a month now and it keeps blowing me away what this foil is capable of. Have the F28 arriving soon :-) Who else is out there riding these wings??

I thought I was finally in control of my foil brain but now I am back to square one.

Feels like I have found the holy grail!!!

Agreed. I am surprised that there is so little buzz about this revolutionary wing. The design is different and a step forward in the evolution of wings, it is extremely efficient and fun to ride. I was enjoying the MFC and then i tried the Cloud and, like you, my foil brain is on overload. More please. I have been riding the F38 for the last few weeks and it is amazing, such glide and pump, and still turns super hard. Amazing wings.
Select to expand quote
PeterP said..
5-6 hours per day for over a month??? What do you eat???

Lol, I am Vegan and most of my diet (probably 80%) is fruit. I am blood type B+ so that makes it easier on a diet like that, an O type would struggle with that much fruit.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
3 Sep 2020 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
StephenZ said..

yes, the wings are incredibly efficient for their size. The boys at Cloud have really nailed the hybrid concept of low aspect / high aspect fusion. I havent tried the F28 as yet, i have been on the F38 ever since they landed. I want to foil it in every condition i can and then hop back on the F32 for a week or so and then the F28. Talking to the boys at Cloud, they rave about the F28, so fast and turns so hard, cant wait.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
3 Sep 2020 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
StephenZ said..

yes, the wings are incredibly efficient for their size. The boys at Cloud have really nailed the hybrid concept of low aspect / high aspect fusion. I havent tried the F28 as yet, i have been on the F38 ever since they landed. I want to foil it in every condition i can and then hop back on the F32 for a week or so and then the F28. Talking to the boys at Cloud, they rave about the F28, so fast and turns so hard, cant wait.
Select to expand quote
Pasquales said..
Thanks for the background info and conditions regarding how the Cloud IX was used. It's important to have context, as there are many different kits coming out. My first foil was the original P series and was used for prone foiling, others used it for kiting. Their systems have changed so much.

My use has been solely prone in medium (4-6' max) and then very very small waves. I am considering trying to wing but if i do that then i will never get a rest day!!You will have an enormous change in the feel of the F series compared to the P, light and day.

BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
3 Sep 2020 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chrisactive said..

BurleighFoil said..

StephenZ said..

bluewave said..

StephenZ said..

Hey BurleighFoil

I have both the F28 arriving this week and the F38 is a couple of weeks, Cant wait. Just loving the F32!!! Can you tell me with the F38 is it as forgiving as the 32 with breaching wing tips?? I like the glide of the higher aspec wings but find them not very forgiving when breaching a wingtip on the tighter turns.

Cheers, Chris

Hey Chris, i have been riding the carbon off my F38 since it arrived and the lift and glide is very controllable and manageable, i think you will find it very forgiving.if you are anticipating a breach, much easier to fly out of it, when you turn hard and it takes you by surprise - bye bye. You will love the wings, i am yet to try the F28 but i want to stay on the F38 a little more and refine my pump, then back on the 32 for a week and then ride the bags out of the 28

StephenZ
VIC, 74 posts
3 Sep 2020 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BurleighFoil said..

Totally agree with you that they've nailed it on these wings.

I had one session on the F38, also kiting. Sold my wings (swings), so kiting only at the moment, but my curiosity to try out the F38 anyhow got the better of me. This wing is a very different beast from the F32. It generates a lot of lift, pops straight onto the foil. It doesn't have the same propensity to stall when pumped at low speed. And like the F32, it's completely silent. It does however turn noticeably less freely than the 32. For winging, I think the F38 is going to be the goto in the cloud ix lineup. It's too much for kiting.

One of the main reasons why I went with cloud IX in the first place was they were one of the few foiler companies (especially at the time) who seemed to crossover from kite foiling to surf foiling and work for both of these. That was before winging came along. I was keen to get into sup/prone, and still kind of am.For me the F32 is such a magic foil for kitefoiiing. So efficient and such glide, effortless to pump when needed, really nicely balanced, but playful and easy turning as well. As I don't live right by the open ocean I make do with riding the bay wind swell, which get's pretty decent from about 20 knots, mainly kiting, but lately winging as well. I'm really curious to hear reports on the difference between the F32 and the F28.

Right now I don't fell like I need the F28 or F24, but I'm amazed what I'm seeing the prone foilers doing on a wing with < 1000cm2, so maybe I'll change my mind if I try it too! Look forward to hearing the reports :)

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
4 Sep 2020 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

I'd been looking for a foil for a while for winging and downwinding that would give the glide or better of the takuma 1600 and the speed of the 1300 lol foils. The cloud 9 f38 looked as though it might fit the bill, so I bit the bullet and got one.
The construction is first class. Everything is nice and stiff and well finished.

The first session out I was riding it back to back with the takuma 1600 for comparison, using a wing. I've got to say I was underwhemed by its performance. It felt as though I was riding around with the hand brake on. A gust would hit and the acceleration and speed was just not there. This was not what I expected at all. There were some highlights from this session though. It lifted off and could fly at a very slow speed and was capable of some really hard and tight turns.
At home I sat down with the foil and started measuring the rigging and incidence angles. Some of these didn't add up to me compared to what I'd found works with the takuma, so I decided to shim the tail (trailing edge down) a couple of degrees.

Next session using the wing, I rode it back to back with the 1300 takuma. The F38s speed and acceleration had now improved and I was thinking that this foil might be ok after all ( until then it was about to be listed in the seabreeze classifieds). Slow speed handling wasn't affected and I ended up having an enjoyable session. Overall better glide and pump compared to the 1300. Back home I thought I'd try shimming it some more (to about 4mm thick on the rear stabiliser bolt) to see what would happen.

Third session in and I could start to smile again. All the good stuff of the low speed liftoffs and the turning was still there, but the speed and acceleration had improved again. Had a really good wing / down wind session. It was now gliding better than the takuma 1600 and would pump well. Sometimes with the takuma I would fall slightly behind a bump due to inattention and struggle to get back into the power zone. The f38, with a quick pump would just jump straight back into the sweet spot. What still amazes me is how gentle and slowly the f38 stalls. You can feel It about to let go, but give it a quick pump and it's happy again. However I went home and made one more shim.

Fouth session, this time with a shim just over 1mm thick in the front of the mast / fuselage join.
Happy days.....It now felt as though the board and foil were working together instead of fighting each other.
The setup was now performing how I hoped it would. Good glide, speed, acceleration, turning and pump and is now my go to foil.It was a journey but got there in the end. The only other observation of note was that I had to mount the foil as far forward in the tracks as possible to be able to stand where I wanted to on the board while foiling. The takuma I usually mount around the mid point of the track.I had also initially thought the f32 would be too small for winging for me at 85kg, but after riding the 38 I can see that it would work quite well also.

robbo1111
NSW, 631 posts
4 Sep 2020 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..
I'd been looking for a foil for a while for winging and downwinding that would give the glide or better of the takuma 1600 and the speed of the 1300 lol foils. The cloud 9 f38 looked as though it might fit the bill, so I bit the bullet and got one.
The construction is first class. Everything is nice and stiff and well finished.

The first session out I was riding it back to back with the takuma 1600 for comparison, using a wing. I've got to say I was underwhemed by its performance. It felt as though I was riding around with the hand brake on. A gust would hit and the acceleration and speed was just not there. This was not what I expected at all. There were some highlights from this session though. It lifted off and could fly at a very slow speed and was capable of some really hard and tight turns.
At home I sat down with the foil and started measuring the rigging and incidence angles. Some of these didn't add up to me compared to what I'd found works with the takuma, so I decided to shim the tail (trailing edge down) a couple of degrees.

Next session using the wing, I rode it back to back with the 1300 takuma. The F38s speed and acceleration had now improved and I was thinking that this foil might be ok after all ( until then it was about to be listed in the seabreeze classifieds). Slow speed handling wasn't affected and I ended up having an enjoyable session. Overall better glide and pump compared to the 1300. Back home I thought I'd try shimming it some more (to about 4mm thick on the rear stabiliser bolt) to see what would happen.

Third session in and I could start to smile again. All the good stuff of the low speed liftoffs and the turning was still there, but the speed and acceleration had improved again. Had a really good wing / down wind session. It was now gliding better than the takuma 1600 and would pump well. Sometimes with the takuma I would fall slightly behind a bump due to inattention and struggle to get back into the power zone. The f38, with a quick pump would just jump straight back into the sweet spot. What still amazes me is how gentle and slowly the f38 stalls. You can feel It about to let go, but give it a quick pump and it's happy again. However I went home and made one more shim.

Fouth session, this time with a shim just over 1mm thick in the front of the mast / fuselage join.
Happy days.....It now felt as though the board and foil were working together instead of fighting each other.
The setup was now performing how I hoped it would. Good glide, speed, acceleration, turning and pump and is now my go to foil.It was a journey but got there in the end. The only other observation of note was that I had to mount the foil as far forward in the tracks as possible to be able to stand where I wanted to on the board while foiling. The takuma I usually mount around the mid point of the track.I had also initially thought the f32 would be too small for winging for me at 85kg, but after riding the 38 I can see that it would work quite well also.

Nice review, I've been looking at this setup for winging too, along with the Armstrong 1550. Im 70kgs would you recommend the 32 or 38? I'm currently using a Gofoil IWA in moderate to high winds and the M200 in light winds, loving both of these but I feel upgraditis looming.

With the shimming are they supplied with the foil or are you making your own? Website is a bit light on detail around shims.

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
4 Sep 2020 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

would you recommend the 32 or 38?

It depends on what you're after. I've used the F38 in winds from 10-30+kts.
You'd probably find it a smaller step if you went to the 38 first, but I reckon you could make the 32 work in all conditions as well and maybe only lose a little bit of low end capability (sorry, doesn't really answer your question).

With the shimming are they supplied with the foil or are you making your own? Website is a bit light on detail around shims.

No shims are supplied or mentioned. I had expected to just put the foil together and happily ride off into the sunset. Unfortunately that didn't happen. While I've been playing with various shimming adjustments I just used 8mm stainless steel washers stacked up till I got the angles I wanted. Now that I'm happy with the setup I'm in the process of making some out of circuit board and will make it look as though they're meant to be there.

The good thing about playing with shims is it's a win win situation. Best case you improve the foils performance and learn something. Worst case, you hate the change, take the shim out and you're back to where you were, but you've still learnt something for next time.

StephenZ
VIC, 74 posts
4 Sep 2020 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..
would you recommend the 32 or 38?

It depends on what you're after. I've used the F38 in winds from 10-30+kts.
You'd probably find it a smaller step if you went to the 38 first, but I reckon you could make the 32 work in all conditions as well and maybe only lose a little bit of low end capability (sorry, doesn't really answer your question).

No shims are supplied or mentioned. I had expected to just put the foil together and happily ride off into the sunset. Unfortunately that didn't happen. While I've been playing with various shimming adjustments I just used 8mm stainless steel washers stacked up till I got the angles I wanted. Now that I'm happy with the setup I'm in the process of making some out of circuit board and will make it look as though they're meant to be there.

The good thing about playing with shims is it's a win win situation. Best case you improve the foils performance and learn something. Worst case, you hate the change, take the shim out and you're back to where you were, but you've still learnt something for next time.

Interesting. It sounds like you ended up making quite big adjustments to get what to what worked best for you. I haven't felt a sense of dragginess with the F32, but you've made me curious to try some different angles on the rear wing. I might even try taking off the stab altogether and see what that feels like for comparison.
The X series foils came with specific shims which you had to switch around as you swapped front wings. I found the thicker shims on the big wing added quite a lot of drag.

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
4 Sep 2020 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

For what its worth, here's a photo of how much I ended up shimming the tail

StephenZ
VIC, 74 posts
5 Sep 2020 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..

Wow, that's pretty extreme! It looks like you've eliminated all the negative lift from the rear stab with that setting, and you may even have positive lift. The shims that came with the x series may work well for what you've done. I've set up the 2mm x24 red shim for my next session below. Let's see how that goes. I had to file away a small part that stuck out to get it to fit. The black 6mm x32 shim would probably get the angle you have there. There's also a white 4mm shim that comes with the X28 (I don't have this one). The cloud guys may have these shims, or they might be easy enough to 3d print (they look like they've been 3d printed).No harm trying these settings, like you say, there's nothing to lose.

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
5 Sep 2020 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

"Wow, that's pretty extreme!"

It's not actually as extreme as it looks. The following is a before and after shimming measurement of the various angles. The base plate is taken to be at 0', + is leading edge / front up from the base plate. - is leading edge down from base plate.

Factory settings
Base plate 0'
Fuselage +0.7'
Main foil. +2.4'
Stabiliser. -2.4' (that's an incidence of -4.8' to the main foil)

After Shimming
Base plate 0'
Fuselage. +0.3'
Main foil. +2.0
Stabiliser. +0.2' (that gives an incidence to the main foil of -1.8')

What I've found to be reasonable for winging and downwinding. Maybe prone foilers have different needs?
Base plate. 0'
Fuselage. 0'
Main foil. 0 to +2' depending on foil section
Stabiliser. -1.5 to -2' to the main foil

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
5 Sep 2020 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..

I have done similar to my HS1550 set up & as I really like it have used it this way for about 8 sessions now.

StephenZ
VIC, 74 posts
6 Sep 2020 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..
"Wow, that's pretty extreme!"

It's not actually as extreme as it looks. The following is a before and after shimming measurement of the various angles. The base plate is taken to be at 0', + is leading edge / front up from the base plate. - is leading edge down from base plate.

Factory settings
Base plate 0'
Fuselage +0.7'
Main foil. +2.4'
Stabiliser. -2.4' (that's an incidence of -4.8' to the main foil)

After Shimming
Base plate 0'
Fuselage. +0.3'
Main foil. +2.0
Stabiliser. +0.2' (that gives an incidence to the main foil of -1.8')

What I've found to be reasonable for winging and downwinding. Maybe prone foilers have different needs?
Base plate. 0'
Fuselage. 0'
Main foil. 0 to +2' depending on foil section
Stabiliser. -1.5 to -2' to the main foil

Thanks for sharing Stingersup. This is valuable information.
It's quite hard to measure these angles accurately without the right instruments.
I have the old (hybrid) mast and the new one. I've been using almost exclusively the hybrid mast.
The main wing angle is about 0.5' less than the new one (relative to the rear wing mounting surface), about the amount you shimmed it down with the fuselage shim.
I'm just wondering how get your main wing angle? When I measured it the main wing underside (which is perfectly flat) is almost parallel to the base plate. I think it points 0.2' down. What do you make the angle between the chord line and the underside? I estimate it to be about 3.5' - 4', based on simple trig.

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
6 Sep 2020 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

To measure the angles I use a Robart Incidence Meter which I've used to help setup model aircraft in the past. I have however fitted it with a digital protractor instead of using the analog scale.
The measurement is taken from the leading edge to trail edge.

Sorry the photos are side on, couldn't get them to stay rotated.

Hdip
426 posts
10 Sep 2020 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously considering picking up a F28 setup this coming week and really trying to weight it out against my current Axis 900/760 setup. Thanks for the PM Chrisactive.

What about the fuselage length. Which ones are you guys finding better for pumping? I realize both the f32 and the f28 should turn as good or better than I expect, but the pump is what has me wanting to jump ships a bit. If you go to the longer fuse setting does that help you glide further and get more distance with less effort?

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
15 Sep 2020 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

I seem to have been having a bit of a love hate relationship with this foil (f38). One day I'd ride it and have a really good session, next day not so much.
I've now detuned it a little bit by removing 1 of the tail shim washers (2 still there). Have also shimmed the mast / fuselage joint a bit more so that the join line in the fuselage is now parallel to the base plate. Now that I'm more used to the foil I've also been able to move the foil back further in the boards tracks. It's still well forward of centre though.
These settings are what I've used for the last couple of sessions and seem pretty good.

Had the foil out in some good downwind conditions today and was really happy with how the foil went. Speed, while not mind blowing, was adequate. Having said that seabreeze reckons the wind was around 20kts and there were times on the swells I caught up to the wind. So just under 40kph is not too shabby.
Once you had the speed it maintained it well with good glide.
This foil pumps really well and you can cover a fair distance quite easily with good speed to the next run. The other stand out is how slow this foil can fly. For it's area it generates a lot of low speed lift and is quite happy stooging along while you wait for wave options to open up. The stall is incredibly gentle and predictable.

Hdip, I still haven't tried any other tail positions yet, but will give it a try at some stage.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Cloud IX F-32 Vs MFC 1400" started by BurleighFoil