Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Duotone Unit 2021

Created by northy1 > 9 months ago, 14 Jul 2020
Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
29 Jul 2020 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Just got an update on availability & delivery , the Echo has completely sold out in Australia other than stock in shops so next shipment due in is end of August and thats when the Units come in as well. Cost wise the Unit is $100 cheaper but if you buy multiple wings the Echo works out cheaper as the same boom fits all sizes , you wont need multiple booms just one.

baldy123
WA, 404 posts
29 Jul 2020 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Plenty of Echo's 4-5-6m in stock at Stand up Surf Shop Freo in WA. The new Units look great as well, tight canopy and lightweight. The Front handle on the Unit looks a little small for big hands IMO. Good to see they are offering both boom and inflatable now. I'm a Inflatable strut fan but do enjoy using boom on flat water.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
29 Jul 2020 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Just got an update on availability & delivery , the Echo has completely sold out in Australia other than stock in shops so next shipment due in is end of August and thats when the Units come in as well. Cost wise the Unit is $100 cheaper but if you buy multiple wings the Echo works out cheaper as the same boom fits all sizes , you wont need multiple booms just one.

Still some big uns and a couple of little uns in Sydney Piros. Sam.

northy1
439 posts
19 Aug 2020 4:59AM
Thumbs Up

My Duotone Unit 6m arrived today

Havent got it wet, but feels light, and looks grunty - feels pretty stiff and has a deep profile, with tight leach / trailing edge
Im a little concerned about its wingspan (377cm) compared to the Naish 5.3m i was borrowing...will see how it goes on the water

Two daft / immediate questions (see 2 last pics):

Q1. How does the clamp operate between the main LE and the Strutt...ie to open / close to isolate the 2 chambers...its different from the obvious clamp on the Ozone and Naish i have seen.

Q2. Why the 2nd valve on the strutt? These arent on the Wasp / Naish so was surprised to see a valve there

PSin hindsight i should have attached the Wrist leash to the safety rope, not the front handle!

Alysum
NSW, 1030 posts
19 Aug 2020 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. The strut valve will help to deflate it quicker which is logical.

No clip on the tube to lock the 2 chambers?

Dommo49
166 posts
19 Aug 2020 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..
My Duotone Unit 6m arrived today

Havent got it wet, but feels light, and looks grunty - feels pretty stiff and has a deep profile, with tight leach / trailing edge
Im a little concerned about its wingspan (377cm) compared to the Naish 5.3m i was borrowing...will see how it goes on the water

Two daft / immediate questions (see 2 last pics):

Q1. How does the clamp operate between the main LE and the Strutt...ie to open / close to isolate the 2 chambers...its different from the obvious clamp on the Ozone and Naish i have seen.

Q2. Why the 2nd valve on the strutt? These arent on the Wasp / Naish so was surprised to see a valve there

PSin hindsight i should have attached the Wrist leash to the safety rope, not the front handle!

The valve where you have put a question mark is just a dump valve - to release air quicker from the middle strut when deflating.
There is no clamp on the tube to separate the 2 chambers.
Ever since a wipeout on a wave nearly ripped out the leash attachment rope from the leading edge strut I always put my leash on the front handle. It doesn't get in the way much and will never break. I've heard of a few people who have lost their wings because the little rope/leash attachment point has been ripped out like this.
The Unit is an awesome bit of kit - so stable and easy to use. Love it!!!!!

sunsetsailboards
476 posts
20 Aug 2020 3:27AM
Thumbs Up

inflate valve is on the LE, and the dump valve is on the center strut, so I open up both when I deflate so all the deflation doesn't have to go through the little connector hose. makes it easier to pack up when both bladders have exhaust.

i have three short sessions on the 6m Unit so far. some random thoughts (disclaimer: I'm a Duotone dealer):

-EVA covered handles are well placed and comfortable width. would prefer if they were straighter and not curved maybe?
-wingspan is quite large compared the 4m Echo I'm used to sailing... I do catch the tips from time to time
-ton of upward lift... very easy to get going even in lighter wind w/ a 1500cm foil
-upper end wind range seems pretty good... have been able to go from 6m winging to 4.4/92 windsurfing and to my 4m Echo
-does backwind behind the leading edge when OPd if you sheet out too much
-draft seems pretty forward compared to some other center-strut wings i've tried. front handle spacing is comfortable reach from LE handle
-LE handle is kind of small... don't know what they were thinking here. that said when I've grabbed it it felt fine
-handling is good... still easy to tack and foiled through and out of my first backwind 360 on this wing.
-standard Duotone wrist leash is too short for this 6m wing
-after having an Echo and just deflating one bladder and rolling up to the boom, deflating two bladders and folding into a bag is a pain
-curved center strut looks like a banana slug to me

www.instagram.com/p/CD5gRanjjT6

northy1
439 posts
21 Aug 2020 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the feedback - waiting for the wind to calm down and get it on the water.
have to admit im a little concerned about the wingspan...possibly bigger than the Wasp 6m that i thought was a handful!

Alysum
NSW, 1030 posts
21 Aug 2020 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

What's the wing span like compared to the echo? In particular with the 5m

Mokuleia
68 posts
21 Aug 2020 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Just got me 5m Unit today (Honolulu, Hawaii). Cant's wait to try it.

Quick question for current owners and/or Duotone dealers here: does the wrist leash comes with the wing? Mine did not have any.

dejavu
825 posts
21 Aug 2020 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

sunsetsailboards
476 posts
21 Aug 2020 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mokuleia said..
Just got me 5m Unit today (Honolulu, Hawaii). Cant's wait to try it.

Quick question for current owners and/or Duotone dealers here: does the wrist leash comes with the wing? Mine did not have any.

Duotone wings do not come with a leash

jksmurf
158 posts
25 Dec 2020 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
I got to test the 5m Unit few months back , can only release vision now . Extremely well behaved wing in 30 knot+ conditions, you can see in video when I got over powered easy to depower and I even throw it and reel back in without coming off the board . I've now used the 5m Unit and the 5m Echo in 8 to 10 knots and up to 30. The 5m in both versions is all I use now no need for multiple wings. I'm on the 6-3 Fanatic Sky Sup in the video just love this board so good for low wind release starts and epic on the downwind .

Hi Piros, quick Q for you, what sized NP Foil are you using in that 30~35 knot video? Medium, Medium Slim?

stanley71
WA, 223 posts
31 Jul 2021 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

.. and it boosts and flies pretty well even for 50yr old mere mortals
www.instagram.com/mediadog/

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Duotone Unit 2021" started by northy1