Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Year of the SUP Surf Slate/Vanguard/Tomo.....

Created by TalkToMe > 9 months ago, 21 Dec 2014
TalkToMe
QLD, 118 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

...or not?

There seems to be a few players/brands about to offer us all some options with the new shape. Maybe it's goodbye egg-shape surf sup (the regular shape) perhaps?

What do you reckon?

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
21 Dec 2014 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

I like how you said options. Don't think we'll ever see the demise of the traditional shape, not in this generation anyway. How great are the advances though? Spoilt for choice in this sport and in this country. Buyer beware when it comes to quality though,.......

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TalkToMe said...
What do you reckon?

FAD

supthecreek
2616 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

For me, it will depend on if the boards can handle solid turns.
I am flat on the SIM type SUPs because the wide tail seems to make them more pivot and slide. I felt like I was surfing a sheet of plywood.

My hope for the Tomo, is that the overall drop in width and split tail on some, narrower on others, will allow these boards to carve as well as pivot.

So far, the limited videos, hint that some of these boards carve very solid turns

I would love less width overall, but I am held back by aging cat balance gone bad.... on sub 9' boards, I am stuck at 31"....these octagons may be an answer, for me at least

I'd also like to see less points to impale me... round those edges a bit please....

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
21 Dec 2014 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

It certainly makes for a good thread that's for sure. Best thing is its development, the Minion style boards certainly seem to rip in small to med waves and further design may reap benefits to us all.

That at development in a new sport where we all want shorter snappier boards but our 85 kg torso,s limit our ability to stand on the bloody things. Hats off to the designers for pushing the design envelope.

Phil

Slab
1101 posts
21 Dec 2014 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Tis a fad I reckon......same when everyone wanted Mini Simmons surfboards. That is not to say the boards aren't great to surf if you have the skills....I just think certain shapes come into fashion to keep the market going. All goes full circle.

TalkToMe
QLD, 118 posts
22 Dec 2014 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

I'm a shortboard surfer at the moment and only paddle SUP for fitness, surf fitness ironically.

My center of gravity and balance seem to be waning too a wee bit coming up to the big 4-0 next year. Bugger....what to do?....

P.S. Brenno, can you elaborate more about the quality call?

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

I reckon its all horses for courses. different shapes allow you to draw different lines an a wave and mix up your surfing. I don't judge all surfing by the potential to surf like kelly. Hipsters on logs, sups able to utilise the leverage for a paddle, short boarders doing pocket snaps, it's all good surfing If it's done well, and if the person doing it didn't burn someone to get the wave they're doing it on.

i lament the state of style see days more than anything. Or the relative lack of it. These days you're more likely to see everyone trying to surf like a pro (tell me the top short boarders don't all surf pretty much the same?) rather than having a crack at their own way of surfing. heaven help us if we ever get out of a constant state of evolution, otherwise the system will mature and it'll all be the same and as boring as hell.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
22 Dec 2014 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said...
TalkToMe said...
What do you reckon?

FAD

Definite fad. Good job on the marketing hype though, bet they are selling heaps.

burleighlocal
255 posts
22 Dec 2014 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

I'm also in the FAD camp....I have watched someone who I know is a great sup surfer go from being confident, graceful with a heap of ability for aggressive turns and full speed down the line surfing...buy a slate and become jerky, stalling, slow and amateurish in the lineup. Now he spends time trying to convince everyone how great and progressive the slate is....aarr nope! To me they just look like a quickly thought up idea to add to a range of boards on offer. All imo off course.

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
22 Dec 2014 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TalkToMe said..

I'm a shortboard surfer at the moment and only paddle SUP for fitness, surf fitness ironically.

My center of gravity and balance seem to be waning too a wee bit coming up to the big 4-0 next year. Bugger....what to do?....

P.S. Brenno, can you elaborate more about the quality call?

Having a bad run with the pop outs mate. Had another one die on me just this morning. Was having a fun little sesh too. Love what I do, but (not going to smash any brands today) spending a lot of time and money on great performing but crap quality gear. That's what's so good about forums like this, and other people's opinions and experiences.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
22 Dec 2014 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Nice call Hilly but I don't call it a Fad yet still room for improvements. I think you'll see the noses round up more and the tails square off like the Thomo design. These boards have their days where they just rip but in some fatter sloppy conditions they do struggle. If you can afford more than one board it's a must in your quiver but if you are a one board Supper this isn't your board.

We now have 4 major brands put out production models: Sunova 1st , then Gulliver , JP and even Naish. Sunova designs are pretty radical , JP & Gulliver is more the proven design so far and Naish have gone super short and fat. Deep has lead the way with customs and by far sold the most plus we have a bunch of other custom shapers and home made jobs. Everyone has their own theories on how to blow up this original Vanguard shortboard shape.

Personally I love it always keen on new stuff. One really interesting fact none of the top team riders are competing on them that has to say something.

lotus blossom
SA, 106 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

They are definitely a thing. Haven't you seen all the minion t-shirts in the shops!!

colas
5064 posts
22 Dec 2014 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
I am flat on the SIM type SUPs because the wide tail seems to make them more pivot and slide. I felt like I was surfing a sheet of plywood.

I guess the big mistake i trying to put quads on these designs, as this put the fins too forwards, and thus the boards turn too early: as soon as you bank it, it turns, and thus turns flat as the board didn't have time to get on the rail. These wide tails need some time to sink the rail properly.

This is what I experienced with my mini-simmons when I tried it as a quad. Awful. I now use only a twin C-Drive set 2" from the tail, and I can gouge deep satisfying carves.

Also, I would advise against fancy tail designs. You want the foot on the leash plug, swallow tails prevent you from getting your rear foot in the sweet spot.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said...
One really interesting fact none of the top team riders are competing on them that has to say something.

Says a lot. Kelly went real short for a while and won nothing.

Kami
1566 posts
23 Dec 2014 3:21AM
Thumbs Up

What do i ever like in surfing and therefore SUPsurfing is to attempt something else what i 'm use to do, so il like to match my surfing and age with new concept shown by people like for more recent ones and in a very shortcut of history :
Simon anderson shows how 3fins is working, Laird make us remenber we can do it better with a paddle and Daniel Thomson's shape throws new perpective of surfing using the front part of a surfboard as you usually simply do on the rear part.
IMO: All of these concepts are function over fashion. No FAD just an evolution

Slab
1101 posts
23 Dec 2014 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

Naaaa....FAD if you ask me. Nothing really new in these designs just tweaks to designs that have been done for a number of years. You always get a buzz when something "new" gets mass produced And the JP PR machine is doing a good job. In a couple of years we will have something "new" again. Nothing wrong though in improving what has been done before....if it is improving A tested design.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
23 Dec 2014 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

All delelopment good or bad is a step forward and its only through this development shapes and designs improve. BTW saw the Starboard 7'2" x 28 the other day in Perth, interesting take on the Vanguard design

phil

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
23 Dec 2014 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
All delelopment good or bad is a step forward and its only through this development shapes and designs improve. BTW saw the Starboard 7'2" x 28 the other day in Perth, interesting take on the Vanguard design

phil

Starboard making a vanguard design?

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
23 Dec 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickMc said..

?

Stev0
419 posts
23 Dec 2014 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickMc said..

Rossall said..

phil

Surprised Starboard have not been at the forefront of this concept. Instead they came up with the Nut thing. I also see Fanatic are prototyping this 'Vanguard' shape as windsurfing wave boards and also it has appeared in kiting as well so the concept is gaining traction.

beached56
41 posts
23 Dec 2014 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

as a kiter (and SUSer), i've tried many surfboards and so far my favorite is the Vanguard. I normally use something like a 5'7" standard surfboard to a 6' kite-specific surfboard, but when i got on a 5'2" Vanguard, it was fast, turned on a dime, and supported my size/weight easily. I think the aesthetics of the board have some crying foul, but I don't care about that. I'd use a garbage can top if it surfed well. My Simmons-shaped SUP boards can slide when turning, but it's all a matter of foot placement. If I'm riding it correctly, it can snap a turn. If this is a fad to some, so be it. I just enjoy the options and hope we start seeing more of these Tomo-inspired SUPs here in the states.

L41surf
40 posts
23 Dec 2014 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

The more I ride them, the more I like them. These boards carve like a dream as you can engage more rail as a function of the outline. It's great to have all this variety in surf SUPs finally. Gone are the days of the generic cookie cutter shapes everywhere you look. More arrows in the quiver I say!

Calling this one SIMSUP[X] 7'6 x 29.5 x 4.375 x 118L

Kirk

supthecreek
2616 posts
24 Dec 2014 2:59AM
Thumbs Up

Kirk... how does does the "X" relate to the S5? The S5 has always seemed to fit my eye, is this a morph of the S5?

Kami
1566 posts
24 Dec 2014 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
L41surf said..
The more I ride them, the more I like them. These boards carve like a dream as you can engage more rail as a function of the outline. It's great to have all this variety in surf SUPs finally. Gone are the days of the generic cookie cutter shapes everywhere you look. More arrows in the quiver I say!

Kirk

Love this shape. Please Kirk what's your weight because those vanguard shape doesn't need so much flotation for a "normal" joe. So 80kg joe would need a 95 liters to be confortable even in chops and get optimum performance while surfing it.
At least this SIMSUP shape need 2 or 3 sizes under this one shown up here like has been done with JP slate. Does these sizes exist

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
24 Dec 2014 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said...
Kirk... how does does the "X" relate to the S5? The S5 has always seemed to fit my eye, is this a morph of the S5?

Xtra large at a guess

RRK
61 posts
24 Dec 2014 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

L41surf said..

Kirk

supthecreek said..

supthecreek said..

This thing look awesome. That apart from the fact that from a technical aspect the "planning hull" theory makes a lot of sense to me. What you do see often is that the new designs have something that works. Then is gets copied and is taken to the extreme so it doesn't work anymore. Next fase is that these small things get integrated into the more classic designs to get the best of both worlds. I think is IS evolution and a design in it's own right that will exists together with the classics. SUP surfing is a young sport so it will see heaps of development in a relative short time.
Someone mentioned the astetics, imho it looks awesome! Maybe all this thing need is a black paint and a bat sign..... LOL
The more I read the more I want to buy one.!!

Merry X-mas everyone!

windara
QLD, 256 posts
24 Dec 2014 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..

phil

Hey Phil do you know if that is now a production board and are there different sizes?

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
24 Dec 2014 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

They were quite tight lipped about it too be honest but apparently there will be about 4 sizes but don't hold your breath for a launch date, its going to be a early 2016 release and limited sizes, probably the one i saw will be out in 4 months ish !!!! Oh it also had a slight nut rail shape as well !!!!

Phil

TalkToMe
QLD, 118 posts
24 Dec 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Source: www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=gulliversport&e=com

Shops: Australian Waterman (Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast - australianwaterman.com/)

TalkToMe
QLD, 118 posts
24 Dec 2014 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Source: www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=gulliversport&e=com

Shops: Australian Waterman (Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast - australianwaterman.com/)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Year of the SUP Surf Slate/Vanguard/Tomo....." started by TalkToMe