Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Year of the SUP Surf Slate/Vanguard/Tomo.....

Created by TalkToMe > 9 months ago, 21 Dec 2014
TalkToMe
QLD, 118 posts
24 Dec 2014 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

So those three brands seem to have their marketing team on top of things. I can't seem to find anything on that Starboard Vanguard, as in a professional website.

I'm still on the fence with these Vanguard models. Might try and demo one during the holidays.

L41surf
40 posts
24 Dec 2014 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

supthecreek said...
Kirk... how does does the "X" relate to the S5? The S5 has always seemed to fit my eye, is this a morph of the S5?

Xtra large at a guess

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
Kirk... how does does the "X" relate to the S5? The S5 has always seemed to fit my eye, is this a morph of the S5?

Creek,

This is very similar in principal to our S5. The addition of the stepped rails, channels and unique tail shape make it more like an S5 on 'roids.

Kirk

L41surf
40 posts
24 Dec 2014 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

supthecreek said...

Xtra large at a guess

Kami,

I'm 210 lbs or 95kg. At 118L it floats me just right. These are custom made to suit any rider so yes, we can go smaller.

Kirk

JeanG
161 posts
24 Dec 2014 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Kirk,

What's the purpose of the reduced nose size on these boards? I (think) that I understand the tail fat tails found on all Simsups/Tomos - it helps with planing. And the deep concaves - they help planing too. But why the reduced nose? Surely any nose channel setup could be integrated into a natural nose just as easily? Is it just for aesthetic symmetry?

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
24 Dec 2014 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TalkToMe said..

So those three brands seem to have their marketing team on top of things. I can't seem to find anything on that Starboard Vanguard, as in a professional website.

I'm still on the fence with these Vanguard models. Might try and demo one during the holidays.

Yeah I have not seen anything on Starboard , which is really strange as most new stuff I will find out pretty early. I had no idea they had one?

What's the purpose of the reduced nose size on these boards? I (think) that I understand the tail fat tails found on all Simsups/Tomos - it helps with planing. And the deep concaves - they help planing too. But why the reduced nose? Surely any nose channel setup could be integrated into a natural nose just as easily? Is it just for aesthetic symmetry?

Everyone has their own theory. The design blow up from the shortboard Vanguard doesn't work perfectly on a Sup.That's why all brands are pretty different. Bring on the evolution I love it

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
24 Dec 2014 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said...
TalkToMe said..

Yeah I have not seen anything on Starboard , which is really strange as most new stuff I will find out pretty early. I had no idea they had one?

Everyone has their own theory. The design blow up from the shortboard Vanguard doesn't work perfectly on a Sup.That's why all brands are pretty different. Bring on the evolution I love it

The Starby one is a proto. The Starboard guys were at Merimbula last month and said they were surprised at how well the "Hypernut" had been kept under wraps.
They advised that there will be five sizes if I remember correctly. And that they will be released at different times through 2015. The one in the pic is 7'2" but there will be a smaller one specifically designed for Zane. The largest was I think 8'0" and 31.5" wide. The tail is pulled in slightly to allow rail to rail turns.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
24 Dec 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Zues will be interesting to see Zane on it . Have to Say from my personal experience 8-0 x 31.5 does not work.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
24 Dec 2014 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

The Gulliver boards look pretty good. Anyone know the prices?

colas
5064 posts
24 Dec 2014 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Yup, seems like a nice coherent design... except for the sizing!

Why increasing so much the length with volume? this means that for my weight I would be forced to ride a 8'1"... much too long for this design to work, you lose all the benefits of the parallel rails, and if as they say, this design allows you to have your rear foot on the kickpad at all times, this means that you have a huge swing weight far away up front slowing you down...

beached56
41 posts
24 Dec 2014 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Have to Say from my personal experience 8-0 x 31.5 does not work.

those dimensions seem almost perfect to me, as I find anything below 32" is just too narrow for my normal stance. why didn't it work for you? too much length, too much width, or just plain too much?

L41surf
40 posts
24 Dec 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

TalkToMe said..

Everyone has their own theory. The design blow up from the shortboard Vanguard doesn't work perfectly on a Sup.That's why all brands are pretty different. Bring
Piros said..

TalkToMe said..

Piros said..

TalkToMe said..

on the evolution I love it
Piros said..

TalkToMe said..

JeanG,

By "reduced nose size" I think you mean the chopped nose? Can't have parallel rails without this feature. And the parallel rails are the magic with these boards. This redistribution of volume and surface area allows these boards to be ridden shorter/narrower with little affect on overall stability. That funky nose template I used really has no function. Call it "bling".

JohnnyMaya
196 posts
25 Dec 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Zane's Hypernut is a 6'10 x 23" and he completely rips on that thing.

I was with him in France the day he tried it for the first time in France, and he threw one of the sickest air reverses I've ever seen on a SUP board in one of the first waves he rode on that thing.

The concept itself is a bit different from the Vanguard boards, since it is a blend between the Vanguard and the Nut.

Zane was saying it was the best SUP board he ever surfed, and it was only the first prototype they've tried.
One of the things I really like about it is that the tail is way narrower than the other vanguard like shapes i've seen! Really curious to see where the new iterations of that shape will take it.

Slab
1101 posts
25 Dec 2014 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

The Nut.....shortboards tail and longboard nose........is this not what is normally known as a Minimal?

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
26 Dec 2014 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnnyMaya said...

I was with him in France the day he tried it for the first time in France, and he threw one of the sickest air reverses I've ever seen on a SUP board in one of the first waves he rode on that thing.

The concept itself is a bit different from the Vanguard boards, since it is a blend between the Vanguard and the Nut.

Zane was saying it was the best SUP board he ever surfed, and it was only the first prototype they've tried.
One of the things I really like about it is that the tail is way narrower than the other vanguard like shapes i've seen! Really curious to see where the new iterations of that shape will take it.

Sounds good let's see if he rides it in the next comp.

JohnnyMaya
196 posts
27 Dec 2014 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

He was going to ride it in the last day in Morocco but i think he was trying to hide it from the lenses.
He was just getting shacked on his backhand on a slab 100m north from the comp site right after the comp was off.

For those of you who have not seen it in person, the nut concept is not about a narrow tail and a longboard nose.
It's about a rail that mixes the rail line from a much shorter board with a longboard nose. I've tried a prototype that had the tail and rail line from the 7'1 inzane model blent with a front rail line and nose similar to those on the pocket rocket. A really nice ripper, with really easy manners!

Kami
1566 posts
27 Dec 2014 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Can be that kind sets with 8" cutaway fin and M7 side fin size's or as thruster combo with large back fin

Any way this 7'2" 26.2" 90 liters shows on volume diagram a well balance paddling abilities and i reckon it would be rideable as well because of medium widest point with flyers as a loose and responsive board and still some parallel outline to hold some back hand abilities on walling wave

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
27 Dec 2014 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Kami but that is really getting away from the straight rail theory , keep us posted and lets see how it goes. In some discussions I have had with other shapers they want to get tail width down with straighter rails in front exactly what you have done.

Wow that's small if he can ride that it will rip.

ghost4man
408 posts
28 Dec 2014 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Nice call Hilly but I don't call it a Fad yet still room for improvements. I think you'll see the noses round up more and the tails square off like the Thomo design. These boards have their days where they just rip but in some fatter sloppy conditions they do struggle. If you can afford more than one board it's a must in your quiver but if you are a one board Supper this isn't your board.

We now have 4 major brands put out production models: Sunova 1st , then Gulliver , JP and even Naish. Sunova designs are pretty radical , JP & Gulliver is more the proven design so far and Naish have gone super short and fat. Deep has lead the way with customs and by far sold the most plus we have a bunch of other custom shapers and home made jobs. Everyone has their own theories on how to blow up this original Vanguard shortboard shape.

Personally I love it always keen on new stuff. One really interesting fact none of the top team riders are competing on them that has to say something.

Piros in terms of the fact that as you say none of the top team riders are competing on them there are a number of reasonable factors to consider.
At the end of the day this is a commercial business and the major players offer a wide variety of boards which go from the extremely short to the overly long with a whole
range of board sizes in between. Just taking the Minion as an example, we see here that you have a product which can cater for guys who are ultra light, say under 70kg as well
as the big boys who are 115kg and yet keep the board well under 8 feet. It just comes down to how artfully you distribute the volume on these parallel boards. I would suggest then
that it would be commercially disadvantageous to the bigger players by narrowing the size down. How do they sell the boards which are 8'6, 9'0, 9'6, 10 etc which guys are using for
surfing purposes? Okay yes there will always be a market for the flatwater range regardless of how small the boards become but that is a speciality area. What do they do with all these
templates? They are basically shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. Now compare that again to the minion. It really took one thread from Casso and the exposure that it received
was such that we saw an explosion in interest for these boards which also translated in huge sales as well as an overwhelming positive response. Now if I had a choice of taking
Kai Lennys advice on board recommendation I need to balance that with his personal interests given that he is sponsored by Naish - he has a financial commitment there. On the other
hand I would be more inclined to look at the plethora of positive responses from guys that have bought a minion who have NO financial interest whatsoever. I would view their remarks
with a greater level of objectivity than Kai Lenny's.

These boards work, there is no doubt about that. If they didnt we would have an entire thread from disgruntled SUPers and no amount of affirmations from Kai Lenny could dispel negative feedback from the public.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
28 Dec 2014 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Piros, I haven't seen the Naish version. Where do I find it?

djansen
QLD, 77 posts
30 Dec 2014 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Probably the most raved about Vanguard style of SUP
Just check the thread www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/DEEP-Oceanboards-72-Minion-Review/

I have a 7.10 and love it. Different kind of surfing but WOW fast...hell fast..:)

jonbro
NSW, 55 posts
30 Dec 2014 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Zeusman said..

Why increasing so much the length with volume? this means that for my weight I would be forced to ride a 8'1"... much too long for this design to work, you lose all the benefits of the parallel rails, and if as they say, this design allows you to have your rear foot on the kickpad at all times, this means that you have a huge swing weight far away up front slowing you down...

$2500RRP... Comes with cover, carbon fins and grip.

Danny Lee
SA, 133 posts
17 Jan 2015 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jonbro said..

colas said..

Zeusman said..

Holy **** batman.... Seen the question asked a few times now with no reply and now I can see why. Are these fully customized or of the shelf sizes/dimensions?

Even happier with the money I'm just about to drop on a minion

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
18 Jan 2015 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

The reason why Australian Waterman/Gulliver don't reply is because they have a policy of staying off forums and advertising instead through this website. So I doubt that you will get a lot of info directly from them, unless you call or email them directly through their website featured previously.. I think the price above mentioned is for a package and it includes a lighter interwoven carbon innegra layup as well as a carbon fin setup that works, vbox cover etc I suppose the price would be less if they were copying the lay ups of other brands boards fins etc .. as the materials etc would be cheaper.. Fin setups are super important and this has been tested along with the development of the boards.. I have seen and heard of vboxs going out of the shop a lot cheaper than that and they also take care of repeat customers with regard to turning over boards etc. give them a call directly go into his shop at Burleigh Heads or an email if you want to talk Turkey

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
18 Jan 2015 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jonbro said..

colas said..

Zeusman said..

Not sure who you were talking to .. $1900 without a bag. That price from ringing retailer Australianwaterman.com yesterday (07) 55203824

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
18 Jan 2015 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

I think you will find that Australian Waterman includes grip fitted as well.. A lot of other board companies will have you buy it and put it on at your own time and expense. And then you will be asked if you would like fries with that and maybe a large coke, fins, legrope etc for an extra $250..

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
18 Jan 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said...
Zeusman said..

Colas/Piros what would u say is limit on length for these boards to be used optimally?

colas
5064 posts
18 Jan 2015 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grenfell said..

Colas/Piros what would u say is limit on length for these boards to be used optimally?

For me, you should think of these wide tailed boards as normal boards with the tail chopped off.
Imaging sawing your "normal" board just behind the front fins.... this means that you should ride these boards nearly 1' shorter than your normal board.

My Simmons 6'10" is a shorter version of the Gong production 8'0". The 8'0" is very nice, but a bit frightening at size, chop, and in hollow conditions; since you were far back on the tail, the nose up there was hard to control in late take offs and hollow parts. At 6'10" however, you get the board-makes-one-with-your-body feeling of a 7' with the paddling speed of a 8', because they have so little row for their length that you can crank hard on the paddle and compensate for the shorter length.

This means also that the 8' could be even be used by beginners, as it was as easy to paddle and use than a 9'+ board.

The problem is a commercial one: it is too hard now to convince people that a 7' board is not as hard as the world cup riders with their skinny toothsticks make it look, and it wont sell.

Also the concaves / channels are not here for speed, but for control. And fin placement can change a lot the behavior of these boards. I expect we will see a lot of people buy these new shapes and get disgusted because they cannot make them work and dismiss them as a fad, just because fin placement is not adapted to the shape. These are not bards designed to turn tight in the pocket. They need speed, and fin shape & placement should be designed for it.

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
18 Jan 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Colas much appreciated. Anyone you think getting it right re: fin position?

colas
5064 posts
18 Jan 2015 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

It depends on the shape: tail width, concaves, rocker...
I guess the important thing is to be sure to have plenty of fin boxes :-)

For instance this is what I use: from left to right:
- 6'10" Simmons, twin fins on the tail. I can move them one plug forward for small waves.
- 6'8" Fast "fish" for weak waves. A nubster or 5th trailer fin can help for bigger waves
- 6'10" for hollow waves
As you can see, fin positions can vary a lot between not-so-distant shapes, so I am not able to tell exactly what is the best for other brands. Just that I was very surprisez how bad the Simmons shspe was working with a modern quad setup...

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
19 Jan 2015 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

You sir, have in my house what I call the divorce quiver! Just jealous! thanks again v useful.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Year of the SUP Surf Slate/Vanguard/Tomo....." started by TalkToMe