Created by Grenfell > 9 months ago, 24 Jul 2017
LucBenac
432 posts
26 Apr 2018 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yardsale said..

LucBenac said..
I just tried a 2018 AllStar 26 from a friend and there is no way I would ever again buy a board that make you stand so high above the water. I felt like a pig on a walking rope compared to my Bark Vapor. I am loking at the specs of the RS and it also look to put you very high on the water. For flat and chop I might just go back to my initial idea of a dugout like a Sunova Allwater.

The RS doesn't sit as high Luc and it has more width forward near the nose so didn't feel nearly as corky or tippy. I personally prefer boards that allow a standing position closer to the water but I would have no problem paddling an RS , it felt great. I currently paddle a 2017 NSP Puma 14' x 24" and I love it because it's sits low and still has enough volume forward.

Thanks for the info. Still no RS to try here in Vancouver....

Area10
1508 posts
26 Apr 2018 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, the RS has quite a low deck position actually. You are no higher above the water than on your Vapor, and maybe even lower.

The FX had a high standing position but users complained about that so it was clearly something that Mark addressed with the RS. And he got it just right IMO. Good compromise between dug out and a flat deck.

LucBenac
432 posts
26 Apr 2018 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Yes, the RS has quite a low deck position actually. You are no higher above the water than on your Vapor, and maybe even lower.
And he got it just right IMO. Good compromise between dug out and a flat deck.

Music to my ears. Patience, patience, patience, it is a question of time before one can be demoed but it would likely take a lot more before one can be found used :-)

Area10
1508 posts
27 Apr 2018 1:15AM
Thumbs Up

Well, a big problem you might have with the used market is that I suspect that people will hold onto their RS boards once they've got them. As an all-round race/general paddling board its going to be hard to beat because it doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses. So it's going to be hard to find another all-rounder that will bring you something so much better than you will want to shell out for one.

There comes a point, probably, where a person says "this is good enough for me; the rest is up to my body and my training". And I think this board might prompt that thought in a lot of the more seasoned racers, who are no longer fooled by the latest yearly marketing gimmicks.

TJR
155 posts
27 Apr 2018 4:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
Well, a big problem you might have with the used market is that I suspect that people will hold onto their RS boards once they've got them. As an all-round race/general paddling board its going to be hard to beat because it doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses. So it's going to be hard to find another all-rounder that will bring you something so much better than you will want to shell out for one.

There comes a point, probably, where a person says "this is good enough for me; the rest is up to my body and my training". And I think this board might prompt that thought in a lot of the more seasoned racers, who are no longer fooled by the latest yearly marketing gimmicks.

I whole heartedly agree with you, I have a Javelin, maliko and a blackfish (dont ask) but my go to board for just about everything is the RS

LucBenac
432 posts
27 Apr 2018 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I am afraid about that.
That said, the Vapor in full carbon is a great board and I had two opportunities to buy one (one opportunity was enough :-) ) but to your point, now I am NOT selling it.
Maybe somebody get lured by the Starboard 2018 1/2 or 2019 new model.
I will also monitor demo and winter sales.
Love to buy a board in January :-)
But I would also like to try out both the 26" and the 24.5" to see if I should stay very conservative or take a virtual or literal plunge....

Themoke
QLD, 50 posts
27 Apr 2018 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

I am loving my 24.5 RS Its my go to board. I have this and the Bayonet. For me the smaller DW runs will be done on the RS Although I do find it sensitive to any movement and I'm not that great at DW yet. But that's where the Bayonet comes in the higher winds bigger bumps is definitely for the Bayonet. FW times have improved greatly with the RS and if it chops up then I am way more stable than I ever was on the FX

WaveScience
VIC, 131 posts
27 Apr 2018 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Themoke said..
I am loving my 24.5 RS Its my go to board. I have this and the Bayonet. For me the smaller DW runs will be done on the RS Although I do find it sensitive to any movement and I'm not that great at DW yet. But that's where the Bayonet comes in the higher winds bigger bumps is definitely for the Bayonet. FW times have improved greatly with the RS and if it chops up then I am way more stable than I ever was on the FX

I thought the Bayonet was made for lower winds and smaller bumps.

Area10
1508 posts
27 Apr 2018 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WaveScience said..

Themoke said..

The RS is an all-waters race board.

The Bayonet is a dedicated downwind board designed to work well even in small downwind conditions.

The Bullet is a dedicated downwind board that shines in full-on downwind conditions.

Many people would consider, I think, using the RS in no wind or very mild downwind conditions (eg. 10-20 knots), the Bayonet from about 15-30 knots, and a Bullet from 25-whatever knots.

Many places in the world don't often get winds much over 15 knots. Whereas where I live we hardly ever get a day when it doesn't go above 15 knots at some point.

You wouldn't use a Bayonet in a flat water race, but you could use an RS for sure.

Hope this helps.

SUPerD
182 posts
28 Apr 2018 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Slight wee segue, Area 10, have the new JL Sidewinders shown up in the UK yet? I'm curious how it will compare to the RS.. Both similar, but the JL has a Allstar sized concave..

Area10
1508 posts
30 Apr 2018 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SUPerD said..
Slight wee segue, Area 10, have the new JL Sidewinders shown up in the UK yet? I'm curious how it will compare to the RS.. Both similar, but the JL has a Allstar sized concave..

Yes they are here. Hoping to try one soon.

LucBenac
432 posts
30 Apr 2018 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

SUPerD said..

Yes they are here. Hoping to try one soon.

Great. We rely on you fro a good comparison :-)

Themoke
QLD, 50 posts
30 Apr 2018 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Yep had downwinded the RS the last couple of days. One day lower wind and had a blast. The 2nd day the wind go up higher than expected. Should have been on the Bayonet but was on the RS. Holy smoke that board is serious fun! But I agree with Area10 15-20knots I will take my RS anything more I will take the Bayonet.

Kretinou
21 posts
2 May 2018 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
I already ordered a SIC Rs 12.6.
I need a spec data : what is the nose thikness ?
Could someone help me ? Thank you.

WaveScience
VIC, 131 posts
6 May 2018 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kretinou said..
Hi
I already ordered a SIC Rs 12.6.
I need a spec data : what is the nose thikness ?
Could someone help me ? Thank you.

Seems to be about 7.5"

Kretinou
21 posts
7 May 2018 3:54AM
Thumbs Up

Amazing ! Thank you WaveScience

rfh
19 posts
8 May 2018 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

WaveScience said..

Themoke said..

The RS is an all-waters race board.

The Bayonet is a dedicated downwind board designed to work well even in small downwind conditions.

The Bullet is a dedicated downwind board that shines in full-on downwind conditions.

Many people would consider, I think, using the RS in no wind or very mild downwind conditions (eg. 10-20 knots), the Bayonet from about 15-30 knots, and a Bullet from 25-whatever knots.

Many places in the world don't often get winds much over 15 knots. Whereas where I live we hardly ever get a day when it doesn't go above 15 knots at some point.

You wouldn't use a Bayonet in a flat water race, but you could use an RS for sure.

Hope this helps.

So recently I went down to Hood River and tested boards from Bigwinds. Primarily compared the AS 14' 26" to the RS 14' 26". I wanted to buy the RS to complement my V2 but ended up purchasing the AS based on several hours of demoing on flat water as well as DW, side chop etc. btw, i'm 6'6", 215#. I thought the RS was very stable for my size (more so than the AS), very efficient on the flats and held a great line. On the river, it started out at 12ish knots then increases to over 20knots. The RS was surprisingly fairly good with the DW. I felt it tended to go in a straight line however and turning it was not fluid. The board looks to be fairly well constructed and noticeably lighter than the carbon AS. Given the lightness and feel, it didnt seem like it would hold up to the same punishment that the AS would.
The AS was surprisingly fast on the flats. Garmin tested times were the same and slightly slower than the RS. It glides over the water very efficiently and holds a good line, but not quite as good as the RS. The AS does however have a very nice smooth flow from side to side, and this fluidity is really appreciated when planing in DW or DB scenarios. I found the AS to catch and accelerate easier and faster than the RS. I realize the RS isn't a DW board, but supping in my local lake is rarely flat and most of the time wind affected.
The AS simply felt to be nearly as good on the flats and better in all other conditions. The construction seems to be definitely beefier, which is a bonus when your kids are climbing all over your boards.

Thought I would give my impressions as I have enjoyed and benefited from many of yours.

Supnorte
262 posts
10 May 2018 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

Every time I take this board out (RS 14'0 x 24.5) my love for it just grows. I'm now been mostly paddling on Dana Point like conditions and the board rips. Get's into every tiny bump early and surfs really well. You just have to put your back foot on the tail and you can surf almost any wave. Also I'm getting more confident going out through the surf and paddling against bigger waves than before.
Now, my final test is for a good ocean downwind day. I've done a few downwinds in the winter on lakes and rivers (with nice bumps, but slower and smaller than on the ocean). Had a lot of fun and tried some different lines.
Here's some waves from today (rising swell and strong sidewind):

Disclaimer: I sell SIC in Portugal. I also sell Infinity. I only work with brands that I truly believe in the product and that I love

Kretinou
21 posts
10 May 2018 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

Muito obrigado for the vid !
I'm so excited to get mine at the end of May.
Hope I did the right choice. I'm 6'.0 for 209 lbs (doing actually a diet). I bought the 12.6x27 rs model with an good intermediate level.

Supnorte
262 posts
10 May 2018 3:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kretinou said..
Hope I did the right choice. I'm 6'.0 for 209 lbs (doing actually a diet). I bought the 12.6x27 rs model with an good intermediate level.

27'' looks good!

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
1 Jun 2018 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

nice board Kretinou.did you have the option on 14ft length board?

Kretinou
21 posts
2 Jun 2018 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..
nice board Kretinou.did you have the option on 14ft length board?

Yes but Switzerland has only lakes, so no big downwind trips & small country = small storage place

TJR
155 posts
3 Jun 2018 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

Got to paddle the 14x23 today in some knee high waves with an offshore wind. I couldn't believe how stable it was (I'm 85kg) I'd paddled my 24" Maliko in the morning and have to say the RS felt so much more stable. Looking forward to getting some more time on it

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
3 Jun 2018 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, you have exceptional balance TJR paddling those skinny boards in that condition.

TJR
155 posts
3 Jun 2018 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..
Wow, you have exceptional balance TJR paddling those skinny boards in that condition.

My balance is no more than average, the board just feels so stable. i will hopefully get a few more people out on it to get there impressions

Kretinou
21 posts
3 Jun 2018 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

I confirm, stability of this board is amazing. I've a fresh intermediate level and I have no difficulties in motorboats waves (calf/knee high)

Coldwater
10 posts
14 Jun 2018 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Well, have had the SIC RS 14x23 for one and a half weeks now and I'm pretty impressed. All I really have to compare it to are the Boga 12"6 2016 and the Naish Maliko 14x24 2017. Today I had the first chance to paddle in completely flat conditions to try and improve my 10K record from last year, which was on the Maliko. Definitely faster in the flats and timewise it was quite an improvement. I feel the nose shape works really well in flat conditions and upwind. Looking forward to do some downwind next. In my mind the only thing that could be improved upon is the leasing point, which is a bit too far forward, thought there's another leasing point at the front, and it's really not a big problem. The drain holes also give a little bit of splash up on the deck and it would probably help if they made the drain holes longer. Or maybe I'm just too heavy for the 23...

TJR
155 posts
26 Jun 2018 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

Possibly a 14 x 21.5 for 2019 (not for me though) Team rider is on a 22" but they want them on production boards

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
26 Jun 2018 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TJR said..
Possibly a 14 x 21.5 for 2019 (not for me though) Team rider is on a 22" but they want them on production boards

at that width you want to be on a dugout and is sic looking into it

TJR
155 posts
26 Jun 2018 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..

TJR said..

at that width you want to be on a dugout and is sic looking into it

The deck is already slightly dropped if the board design is stable then it doesn't need to be as sunken as some. The Lokahi in the picture at last weekends Hossegor Paddle games is 21 and not dropped at all

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2018 SIC RS" started by Grenfell