Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Bula...a new board for $400

Created by GizzieNZ > 9 months ago, 10 May 2017
GizzieNZ
4102 posts
10 May 2017 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Just grabbed one.....allegedly reduced from $1500.....with wooden stringer and 3 layers of 6 oz glass.
Arrived today.....and does look like a $1500 board......about 31 inches wide and 10'6 long
glossy thick looking gel coat and a very comfy handle.
Got to like the double leg rope tether points.
The bottom has a pronounced concave turning into a v as it approaches the fin area and the back is about same width as a speed.......but squared off.
Is a bit heavier than some boards but a nice long board shape.
Just chucked the plastic fins away and put a small centre fin off a naish GT 9'10 and a couple of S9 side fins.
Am ready to give it a good thrashing
And for $400 its not the end of the world if it all turns to custard
they say 30 day money back guarantee and one year warranty.......whatever that means
Will report back after i have tried it out a bit

Supmaori
746 posts
10 May 2017 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Just saw these Gizzie..shame the don't do a 9ft one..but for that price can't go wrong..$29 to ship to HB ..lol

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
10 May 2017 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Only $15 shipping if you access them through trade me.......how cheap is that
Wanted something a bit floaty.......find my 9'2 speed can be tricky in lumpy bumpy choppy conditions......as i am not a spring chicken any more
And you get a free leg rope.......although its one of those coiled ones
The packaging is totally up to Sunova standards also

towball
4627 posts
10 May 2017 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Let's see if it's still one peace when I get back

Supmaori
746 posts
11 May 2017 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

Be keen to hear how it goes bro

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
11 May 2017 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Tried it out today at town beach in perfect 2 to 3 foot surf......no wind which is always an occasion for great happiness.
So here is my review......
For lightweight people looking purely for a surf sup they would probably find this board has too much weight and volume.
But for bigger people looking for a sup that is great fun to surf.....and they don't want to completely empty their piggy bank to buy one......this board is definitely worthy of consideration.
I really enjoyed surfing it.....Catches waves easily and.big steep takeoffs no sweat.
And has that floaty skatey feel that is fun fun fun.
Thought I might need wax on front deck......but surfs and turns wonderfully well with most of the weight on the back foot.
Might not surf as well with the plastic fins of course.
Gave the rails a couple of solid accidental paddle whacks.....the gel coat on the rails remained unblemished.
Am confident the board will still be in one piece when tow ball gets back from Hawaii

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
27 May 2017 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Am really liking it.......put some RS Pro rail tape on it even (that's how you show a board how much you love it)
Is sluggish to paddle........but really fast and turny on grunty waves
Liked it so much I got another one lol
Working on a big wave single fin concept for the second one.....but shocked at the price of big single longboard fins

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
6 Jun 2017 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Better post my one minute Bula video here I suppose.......at town beach with small surf.....only one other out

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
6 Jun 2017 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
11 Jun 2017 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Oops

exiled
363 posts
11 Jun 2017 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

were those fcs plugs even glassed on?

towball
4627 posts
11 Jun 2017 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

The people at Sonic just love Gizzie, it's a $600 board now

colas
5064 posts
11 Jun 2017 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
exiled said..
were those fcs plugs even glassed on?

Nor encased in denser foam...

charlieuk
355 posts
11 Jun 2017 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

That's top Chinese workman ship right there! If they can be bothered to put a fcs fusion plug in at least I would hate to see what's under all that paint! No way in hell is there 3 layers of 6oz on that, it barely looks like there is one! You may as well get all the boxes re done while you are at it as they will no drought do the same or worse leak with out knowing it slowly filling the board up. My guess is if they haven't already is you will see small cracks in the paint around all the boxes leash plug and handle very soon, if the handle starts leaking unfortunately you wont see that until its too late, But You pay for what you get! I would honestly get a refund asap there's a reason why they are so cheap, and you just found out one of them!

JOYRIDER
705 posts
12 Jun 2017 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Glad you got it for $400 not $1500!
Its cheap ****, like this, that ruins the sport for newbies.
At $1500 (or not much more) you could get far better shapes and constructions, from multiple brands, that would last 1000times linger then this.

Just for laughs, can you put a leg rope on, go bail on a wave and show us the "after picture" of your swim in with the tail attached to your leg?

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
12 Jun 2017 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

It would probably have been okay if I had kept the small plastic side fins on and not put larger stiffer high performance side fins on. The damage wasn't really so dramatic.......but things were wiggling around so I made the problem more visual.
In conclusion.....I think this board is best used as a single fin.
Am using the other board as a single fin......would be disappointed if that fin also got wobbily though
No reply yet from trade tested about one year warranty.
Have pressed the issue as board number two still within the 30 day money back guarantee.
Two boards for $800.....it's entertainment really
and they surf real good on fast breaking waves

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
12 Jun 2017 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

and joyrider......newbies aren't really surfing powerful waves. If they were to buy a $400 board that was introducing them to the pleasure of sup surfing.........I think that is good. The alternatives are $2000 or $2500 or $3000 boards.
Its different strokes for different folks

stehar
NSW, 589 posts
12 Jun 2017 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Go down to sonic and get two new centre fin boxes put in! You are away on the "renovated" fast wave machine - $100 each?
Good luck Steve

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
12 Jun 2017 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Sonic are the absolute masters of board technology......I see they have a brand new factory in the airport industrial area.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
12 Jun 2017 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Sometimes I take a board repair in to them......and they say "we are really busy".......and I say "no hurry,,,,,,whenever you can do it"

JOYRIDER
705 posts
15 Jun 2017 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GizzieNZ said..
and joyrider......newbies aren't really surfing powerful waves. If they were to buy a $400 board that was introducing them to the pleasure of sup surfing.........I think that is good. The alternatives are $2000 or $2500 or $3000 boards.
Its different strokes for different folks

Good quality boards are not $2500-$3000.
You can get a good entry board for $1500 that would make a far better investment then a cheap knockoff.

Just my 2cents.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
16 Jun 2017 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
16 Jun 2017 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear different people's opinions. Doing the repair. Ripped the plugs out.....front one just floating around...back one a more substantial plastic outer shell plus resin. I still think its a good board for 400 bucks :)

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
16 Jun 2017 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
16 Jun 2017 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Sourced resin kit from New Wave....happy i remembered them saying "dont mux too much at once" ....did in four mixes. Put finger on first mix as curing.....really really hot.

colas
5064 posts
16 Jun 2017 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

While you are at it, I'd suggest reinforcing all the plugs (even the leash plug), and especially the handle.

Drilling holes around them, and injecting resin with a lot (half/half in weight, or 7 to 1 in volume) of microspheres, and if possible some glass layer in top will make wonders.

To avoid exothermia, a good trick is to fill the holes in multiple passes, putting the syringe in the freezer in between to stop its curing.

charlieuk
355 posts
16 Jun 2017 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

those plugs are not designed to be used in a eps core if you install them again they will just break back put. Ether use a fcs fusion or fcsii or futures or you would have to put a high density foam insert in and like I said before you may as well do the other side at the same time as when it cracks if you don't notice it will suck water in and cause even more problems

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
23 Jun 2017 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Their down from 700 to 500 to 400 and now to 250 on auction. Even for $50 I'm still thinking, maybe for $10 I'll but it?

towball
4627 posts
24 Jun 2017 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..
Their down from 700 to 500 to 400 and now to 250 on auction. Even for $50 I'm still thinking, maybe for $10 I'll but it?

I picked up Gizzies this morning and dislocated my shoulder

BreakersEBR
NSW, 41 posts
6 Jul 2017 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Remember u get what u pay for

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
17 Jul 2017 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Just sold one of my Bula to a local surfer (for same price i got it) who took it up to family members up the coast......they wonderfully happy (were quoted $3000 for a board by the local ECS sup seller :)
No problems with the leash plugs on my Bula.....have been hammered by lots of big crunchy wave type things. Nice board to ride......

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Bula...a new board for $400" started by GizzieNZ