First look at the new 2016 JAV!

Created by JB > 9 months ago, 19 May 2015
Area10
1508 posts
2 Aug 2015 3:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
charlieuk said...
what happened to the you don't need to go narrower than 26" in 2015 speech naish did? just a ploy to get people to feel like they have to change the board again in 2016 and sell more boards?

Well, if they have created a line of boards that are so narrow that a whole year will go by without DJ pimping the latest board in his videos, then they must be completely nuts! I reckon DJ has been responsible for more Naish sales than Kai Lenny.

They need to bring out, immediately, a special edition "DJ" Jav Maliko that is 28" wide and stable enough for tallsters who want to mount bloody great camera rigs on their boards. And they need to give him one for FREE (along with a free leash...). Then let DJ do what he does best and watch the boards fly off the shelves. As a marketing strategy it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone here know how to start an online petition, to ask Robbie Naish to send DJ a "big-boys" version of the Jav Maliko? It's no less than he deserves, and I reckon we could make it happen :)

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
2 Aug 2015 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

charlieuk said...
what happened to the you don't need to go narrower than 26" in 2015 speech naish did? just a ploy to get people to feel like they have to change the board again in 2016 and sell more boards?

Well, if they have created a line of boards that are so narrow that a whole year will go by without DJ pimping the latest board in his videos, then they must be completely nuts! I reckon DJ has been responsible for more Naish sales than Kai Lenny.

They need to bring out, immediately, a special edition "DJ" Jav Maliko that is 28" wide and stable enough for tallsters who want to mount bloody great camera rigs on their boards. And they need to give him one for FREE (along with a free leash...). Then let DJ do what he does best and watch the boards fly off the shelves. As a marketing strategy it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone here know how to start an online petition, to ask Robbie Naish to send DJ a "big-boys" version of the Jav Maliko? It's no less than he deserves, and I reckon we could make it happen :)

Agreed

SurfNiels
182 posts
3 Aug 2015 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

So I got to see he 12'6x 24 javelin maliko in the flesh today. We had the annual 44 km open ocean crossing here in Denmark yesterday. Casper Steinfath paddled the 12'6 despite everyoneelse being on 14 footers and off course he won.
The race was looong, in fact so long I didn't even both paddeling the maliko after crossing the finishline allthough Casper offered me a run on it.
But I can say that the board looks great!. The tail is pretty wide and square but with low volume, there is a sligthly recessed deck in the standing area and Casper was very pleased with this figthing through the chop.
The nose is MUCH lower volume than last year and looks like a great improvement over last year for downwinding

bradsdubs
QLD, 161 posts
7 Aug 2015 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Why do the "new" downwind boards always end up looking like a SIC...I wonder...maybe I'll go for a paddle on my 14' Bullet and think about it....so stable, so assured, no submarine tendencies nor boofing.....and Naish will probably kick the nose up a bit more next season to try to sell more boards, and call it the "missile" or something.......and so the cycle goes on...

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
7 Aug 2015 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bradsdubs said...
Why do the "new" downwind boards always end up looking like a SIC...I wonder...maybe I'll go for a paddle on my 14' Bullet and think about it....so stable, so assured, no submarine tendencies nor boofing.....and Naish will probably kick the nose up a bit more next season to try to sell more boards, and call it the "missile" or something.......and so the cycle goes on...

''Why do the "new" downwind boards always end up looking like a SIC...I wonder''

I think JL is the only one..

I have noticed how the SIC boards have dropped the nose rocker down and down with their V1 and V2 and now even more with their new V3.. just like Naish have been doing..

It will be interesting to see if the V4 SIC will look anything like this new Javelin Maliko..

I'm actually glad that Naish, Starboard and Fanatic don't just copy the SIC shape and they are out testing and developing their own shapes.. This new Javelin Maliko looks like nothing I've ever seen before.. I can't wait to try one..

SurfNiels
182 posts
8 Aug 2015 12:17AM
Thumbs Up

Having seen the javelin mailko lying next to my own bullet V2 the two boad do not look very much alike. The nose volumen of the new naish looks something like a crossbreed between a SiC and the "old" naish. The rails look different, the deck shape is different and the tail is as different as it could be. I LOVE my v2 but the naish also looks nice but the shapes are not alike...

bradsdubs
QLD, 161 posts
8 Aug 2015 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

bradsdubs said...

''Why do the "new" downwind boards always end up looking like a SIC...I wonder''

I think JL is the only one..

I have noticed how the SIC boards have dropped the nose rocker down and down with their V1 and V2 and now even more with their new V3.. just like Naish have been doing..

It will be interesting to see if the V4 SIC will look anything like this new Javelin Maliko..

I'm actually glad that Naish, Starboard and Fanatic don't just copy the SIC shape and they are out testing and developing their own shapes.. This new Javelin Maliko looks like nothing I've ever seen before.. I can't wait to try one..

Ok Ok..I'll fess up..I've been caught out by the "Duke of Downwinding", otherwise known as DJ . I admit I was just grandstanding (and enjoying it) about my "SIC love" and, if truth be known, really showing my envy of that new Maliko style. It looks to be an awesome board, and the design looks like it would work very very well. I still love my Bullet , but will have to just look on from the fringes while people buy the Naish Maliko. ($??)
Everything seems to be improving [with good design characteristics merging between makers] which is the essence of innovation, particularly in the early stages of our relatively new sport as we discover what works and doesn't work.
cheers..I'm going for a paddle

Tardy
4972 posts
9 Aug 2015 6:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
charlieuk said..

I agree.....but we are to blame ....if I have 4 boards ranging from 2012 to 2016 .and I said you could have one .
we would always go for the latest model wether it was 24 wide 26 or 28 .its human nature ..to get the latest out .

come get it tomorrow .

Bnesupgirl
QLD, 24 posts
9 Aug 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

A few shots of the 2016 Maliko 14x 24 and 14x26. They are super stable and heaps of fun to ride

Area10
1508 posts
10 Aug 2015 4:26AM
Thumbs Up

Is the Javelin Maliko intended to be an out-and-out downwind board (as the name suggests), so it's main competitor would be something like the SIC Bullet 14v2, or a downwind/flat water hybrid, so a competitor board would be something like the new SIC FX (25" wide)?

AUS4
NSW, 1251 posts
10 Aug 2015 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Javerlin vs FX

SUPerD
182 posts
10 Aug 2015 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Bnesupgirl, any idea of the volume of the two 14' boards?

PeterP
822 posts
10 Aug 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SUPerD said..

Looking at the pics I'd say around 230-249 liters....

SUPerD
182 posts
11 Aug 2015 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PeterP said..

SUPerD said..

Looking at the pics I'd say around 230-249 liters....

Thanks Peter. Must be that clear Capetown air that allows you to see so well... Or maybe all those great downwinders you score there..
Either way, nice of you to provide some insight...

Bnesupgirl
QLD, 24 posts
11 Aug 2015 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hey SUPerD,

I didn't even check the volume sorry, there are a few around Aust now so someone who has one might know. Otherwise I'm hoping to get out on the 24" on the weekend so will let you know.
I got to do a little downwinder on the 26" last weekend and it was so stable, I'm a beginner at downwinding but was the only one who came in dry at the end. It handled any side chop really well and you can feel it want to take off on the runners, I've just got to learn to catch them better

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Aug 2015 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Peter P is exactly right. 14' x 24" is 230L and the 26" version is 249L.
Haven't paddled the 24" version yet but if the 26"er is anything to go by then it's going to up at the pointy end of some ocean races this year.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"First look at the new 2016 JAV!" started by JB