Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

12 Towers Ocean Paddle Festival 2015

Created by Secret Agent > 9 months ago, 28 Jan 2015
Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
28 Jan 2015 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

With now its fourth year in succession, the 12 Towers Ocean SUP Race has carved out an iconic figure of being one of the premier races in Australia. With the 2015 event set for February 21 & 22, the Gold Coast is certainly ready to turn on the glitter in the heat of summer.
The 14km Open Ocean Race from world famous Kirra Point to picturesque Burleigh Heads is proving to be a battle ground for the best in the business. Passing by 12 Lifeguard Beach Surveillance Towers (Hence establishing the race name) competitors will round an inflatable “turning buoy” approximately 150 meters from the viewing platform/pipe in the centre of Burleigh Beach, and make their final dash for the dry sand finish line.
Superstar and World Champion Titouan Puyo will be back to defend his 2014 title and show us why he is considered the one of the best paddlers on the planet. He along with multiple world champions of Travis Grant and Jake Jensen will be battling for supremacy against the big Aussies of Cracknell, O’Brian, Margetts, Jackson to name a few. Not to be outdone by the guys, the ladies sure know how to make names for themselves. Can Karla Gilbert do a “three-peat” in 2015 or can two of her biggest rivals of Angie Jackson and Terrene Black put an end to her rein. To add to the mix of Sondra Purser and an international female contingency making their way Down Under in February.
This year will see the added "Short Course" paddle from Currumbin to Burleigh. Approximately 5kms of Ocean Paddling for those who aren't that confident to complete the long course traditional race of Kirra Point to Burleigh Heads.
And now with the inclusion of Ocean Skis and Prone Paddle Boards in the long course race, the Gold Coast will get to experience all exciting facets of paddle sports!
Massive thank you to our supporting sponsors of Hammer Nutrition (www.hammernutrition.com.au) KeNalu Australia (www.kenalu.com.au) DEEP Ocean Boards (deepoceanboards.com) Camelbak (camelbak.com) AuSUP and Surfing QLD.
For all information and scheduling check out www.12towers.com
Online entries, click www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?E=15145

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
28 Jan 2015 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Cant wait!!! This race is legendary!!

Expect a decent turnout from the Sunny Coast this year. We are frothing for the only downwind race in Queensland!!

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
28 Jan 2015 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Well you're on fire Raz! You Sunny Coasters are going to swarm in big numbers......and will certainly see you guys choking the podium in many classes!

Al Hunter
NSW, 367 posts
29 Jan 2015 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Secret Agent said..

And now with the inclusion of Ocean Skis

no more excuse for Johnny !!!

clarky4213
QLD, 35 posts
29 Jan 2015 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yeewwwww pumped for this one.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
31 Jan 2015 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Can wakeboard impact vests. PFD3's be worn instead of bumbag or other self inflating ones etc??

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
6 Feb 2015 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Andy,
Yes m8, any type will be accepted!

MiniDorries
QLD, 142 posts
6 Feb 2015 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

The official TEASER

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
6 Feb 2015 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

CarterSUPhysio
QLD, 179 posts
6 Feb 2015 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Getting keen! I'll have the Surf Life Physio tent set up near the finish line hopefully! Free rubs, strapping, advice, etc etc!... Need to rope someone in to takeover so I can go for a paddle at some stage! Where was that physio student.....Josh

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
7 Feb 2015 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

So i'm just putting it out there. Over the past few years, the depth of competitive talent runs deep in the 12 Towers Race. Pretty much in all ages categories and classes there have been some incredible battles, not only up front with the usual suspects but spread evenly over the entire field.
One of the most competitive age groups have been the 40yrs to 55yrs guys. This 15 year group captured 29 participants last year and will be hotly contested again this year.
But there is talk around town who will be the Elite Champions! I do know it is not always about the elite but when you see these guys and girl paddle, you understand why they are world class.......entertaining and certainly taking lessons from them.
So, i have my thoughts on my podium finishers.............in no particular order:
Titouan Puyo (Can he defend his title), Beau O'Brian (Huge 2014), Michael Booth (Olympic Kayak prospect)........My TOP 3......but looking at the list of World Class Aussies and i can see these guys taking it out too. Jake Jensen (Podium finisher World Tour), Travis Grant (Worlds Best), Lincoln Dews (Can do everything and anything), Jacko (Big finish to 2014), Kelly Margetts (Freak and can drink Beer), Toby Cracknell (Aussie Champ).........these guys could all win the race and there's not forget guys like Jayden Jensen or Benny Tardrew. My dark horse is Sunny Coaster Matt Nottage. New Starby team rider and gave the KOTC a big nudge last year.
Then the girls, well throw a blanket over the 3 of them and see which ones comes out first. Looking at my top 3 elite are all World Champions. Can Karla Gilbert go a threepeat in 2015 or can past 12 T and Molokai Champion Terrene Black take out the gong. The there is Angie Jackson who is a multiple world champion and also been tipped as the favourite.
I don't know.......probably have confused myself.......who is on your list!

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
7 Feb 2015 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Will be a cracker of a race , will be a tight finish i rekon.with jake the snake jensen just ahead of beau womens race could be real close too with angie terene and karla and throw in sondra that also could come down to the wire.the forster race should be a good form guide.

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
7 Feb 2015 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Yep good choice Teatree........Sondra definitely will be in the mix and could even take it out.
Just thinking that Trevor Tunnington could be a real threat in the Elite guys too.

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
7 Feb 2015 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
There has been a few questions asked re: schedule for the 21st & 22nd.
The 12 T's Distance Race for all disciplines will be on either day. We endeavour to run the race in the best possible conditions to suit. So the Surf Sprint Races will obviously be the alternate day!
We will confirm the schedule on Thursday 19th.
Please click www.12towers.com/event-information/event-schedule/ for the weekends proposed schedule.

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
8 Feb 2015 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Just between you and me, Little Matty Nottage is training the house down and undoubtedly will be in the pro's pockets come the finish line..
My smoky will be super grom Trevor Tunnington, he also could push the pro's all the way..

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
8 Feb 2015 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Beau / travis / Matty / jake / T2 / jacko / trev / Kelly / Jayden / boothy
Bit hard to say who will take the win out of these guys. Top 10 is a world class field.
Any one of these guys could easily take the win

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
8 Feb 2015 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget all the battle royale's in the Open 14' class and the 40's, 50's have some doozy finishes....
Remember, just because the pro's are "pro's" doesn't mean all the other crew haven't trained super hard and will push their body's just as much!

supsurfers
QLD, 171 posts
8 Feb 2015 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Pity there is not also a Junior category or an Under 18s to promote the sport
They can still compete in the Open but to promote the sport recognize these young kids putting the klms...
This is the future and we would have at least 10 of these juniors racing and competing

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
9 Feb 2015 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Supsurfer,
Yes i do agree that the future of the sport is juniors. I do see plenty of juniors racing and training which is wonderful for the growth of SUP.
The 12 Towers has had each year a category for juniors in which has never been entered in. And as much as we would still love to cater for every age category, we have had to cut categories simply because of nil participation. It is unfortunate but cost of running events certainly hinges on participation on the offered categories.
This year has seen 5 age category cuts although those participants do slide into a broader classification.
I am all ears and welcome feedback to make the event better for the participant.
cheers

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
10 Feb 2015 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Come on people........... Get excited!

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
11 Feb 2015 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Did you fudge that start Jones Boy!!!
Great Vid mate......hoping conditions like that Saturday week!

clarky4213
QLD, 35 posts
13 Feb 2015 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

wow the elite race will be hotly contested. can't wait to see this one play out. This event has something for everyone with a short and long course, as well as a technical race. It was a top event last year.
looks like this year is going to be even better.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
14 Feb 2015 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

What's peoples thoughts on the weather. What's it going to do?
Seabreeze long range predictions is completely different to say willyweathers.. I hope I can make the DW all depends on what day organisers run with as work calls Sunday.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
16 Feb 2015 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Could be a wet and wild race by the looks of it.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
16 Feb 2015 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

I cant find the classes or ages groups for the race anywhere

Flounder
QLD, 137 posts
16 Feb 2015 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the nasty weather may be gone by the weekend but at the moment it looks like still a heap of swell Saturday, probably 4 to 6 foot along North Burleigh. Sunday is a bit smaller, maybe 4 foot on the beachies. It' now saying variable winds both days tending light onshore.
The forecast has been changing evry few hours though depending on what predicted turn the low pressure takes.
If this forecast holds I'd say Sunday would be the day for the race as a lot of novice racers would have trouble getting out at Kirra on Saturday and would have even more trouble coming in at Burleigh. Peasey is onto it though and if he err's on the side of caution it's for the safety of the majority.

nickmcd41
QLD, 187 posts
16 Feb 2015 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

www.12towers.com/event-information/divisions/
here u go Lacey

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
17 Feb 2015 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hold Fast , this looks like it is going to be epic ...yeeehar

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
17 Feb 2015 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nickmcd41 said..
here u go Lacey

thanks. guess im not racing. no unlimited class

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
17 Feb 2015 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
Thank you everyone for your patience. We are still yet to make a decision on scheduling for this weekend.
The forecast predictions have changed 16 times in the past 4 days which I know has put a lot of people on the eleventh hour syndrome!
I can confirm that the event will still run as per set dates.
If the ocean conditions are not favourable, we have alternate courses inside Tallebudgera Creek and North Kirra Beach.
The online registration has been extended till Friday night and we will be accepting beach entries which are $10 more than on line!
The alternate day to the "Blue Ribbon" Distance Race will be the Technical Surf Sprints (Open and Amateur Classes) and Dash for Cash hosted by the SUPSA Paddle Club. Entry on the day will be $20 (inc BBQ Lunch, Presentation, Insurance) Prizes will be awarded to podium placings and many more lucky door prizes to win!
Don't wait, get on it now!
www.12towers.com

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
17 Feb 2015 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

nickmcd41 said..
here u go Lacey

thanks. guess im not racing. no unlimited class

why red. thats the only board ive got at present????

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12 Towers Ocean Paddle Festival 2015" started by Secret Agent