Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

12 Towers Ocean Paddle Festival 2015

Created by Secret Agent > 9 months ago, 28 Jan 2015
Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
17 Feb 2015 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Lacey, If we get a few of you Unlimited SUP guys wanting to race, i'll make a division for you!
Start making phone calls buddy!

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Feb 2015 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

If the race is moved to flat water do we still need some type of pdf?

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
19 Feb 2015 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..
If the race is moved to flat water do we still need some type of pdf?

Hey Teatrea,
Yes mate, we still need to have a PFD of some sort with us. Either in a Bumbag Style or worn like the Ocean Paddler brand. Also make sure you have a legrope too.
Mick from Paddler HQ's at Tugun will have about a dozen bumbag style PFD's arriving tomorrow. $89 Give him a call early on 55 250 344 to reserve one.
This safety regulation will be coming into play for all SUP races in Australia over the next 12 months so it will pay to get one now.
The final schedule confirmation will be made Friday night as it is still too far from the weekend to lock it down!
Cheers
Peasey

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
19 Feb 2015 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
With this current inclement Gold Coast weather, people have been thrown into a spin waiting to register for the weekend.
Rain, hail or shine, the event will still be going ahead. Unfortunately we can't predict conditions but as they say, the show must go on!
Schedule is now the following:
Saturday: Technical Surf Sprints meeting at central Kirra (Roughton Park) in front of cafe's at 8am. If we deem the surf to be unfavourable, we will move to Tallebudgera Creek (Neptunes LSC, old Playroom carpark).
Sunday: Distance Race meeting at Burleigh Heads (Apex Park, Adjacent to the Life Guard HQ) at 8am. We will decide on an alternate course if the ocean conditions are unfavourable.
We will however still have in place our safety regulations of each competitor to be attached to his or her board via a legrope and have on them a PFD, either worn or around their waist in a bumbag style. Those wishing to purchase a bumbag style PFD, Mick from PADDLER HQ at Tugun will have a dozen in stock by tomorrow afternoon. $89 Please call him on 55 250 344 and reserve yours today.
We will endeavour to keep everyone up to date via the event FB page, Seabreeze and www.12towers.com web site.
Cheers
Peasey
PS. Please use this as a guide now as we are hearing Gold Coast Beaches were being closed from today.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
19 Feb 2015 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Bugger that sucks. I'm out could only attend sat was hoping the DW was sat. And that swell is to big for me in a bop.. Stupid weather. I am sure will still be a top event!

Make the location mobile. Brissy is firing for down winders! this week I've done two already lining one up tomorrow. Lucky up here no real swell to worry about as its mostly wind that creates the bumps here.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Feb 2015 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..
Bugger that sucks. I'm out could only attend sat was hoping the DW was sat. And that swell is to big for me in a bop.. Stupid weather. I am sure will still be a top event!

Make the location mobile. Brissy is firing for down winders! this week I've done two already lining one up tomorrow. Lucky up here no real swell to worry about as its mostly wind that creates the bumps here.

its times like now the bay is the go. be good fun no doubt

the event, concept is beaut and i know a lot of work goes into.

and its great to have such a event.

however there is a reason why the quicky pro is held at this time of the year

lets hope the weather settles

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
19 Feb 2015 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

AndyR said..

its times like now the bay is the go. be good fun no doubt

the event, concept is beaut and i know a lot of work goes into.

and its great to have such a event.

however there is a reason why the quicky pro is held at this time of the year

lets hope the weather settles

Yep AndyR.....certainly considering the Bay.......You Brissy guys have had insane DW paddle backs over the past couple of months and even Ryan and some of the Sunny Coast crew have been enjoying them.

I do hope it does settle down Lacey......we have been lucky over the past 3 years dodging wild weather and snagged nice conditions but i'm not too confident this year.
Why a friggin cyclone?????

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
19 Feb 2015 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yep solid run from port to Brighton 14km S.E is dead straight.. Shallow water steep bumps moving quickly. Or South side just as good.

Problem with holding a big event in bris is enough room to set up at start finish points as the Best direct runs we have are often finishing at a boat ramp or short small beach..

Yes LL it's firing atm up here

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Feb 2015 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hinze Dam?Creeks might have a bit of flotsamHope it calms a bit so the race can go ahead.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
19 Feb 2015 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

It will be called "the 12 Crab Pots" now!

supsurfers
QLD, 171 posts
19 Feb 2015 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...
Yep solid run from port to Brighton 14km S.E is dead straight.. Shallow water steep bumps moving quickly. Or South side just as good.

Problem with holding a big event in bris is enough room to set up at start finish points as the Best direct runs we have are often finishing at a boat ramp or short small beach..

Yes LL it's firing atm up here

Funny then if this is problem for room then why why are state title
Been held there then!!!

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
20 Feb 2015 4:47AM
Thumbs Up

I said for our best most direct down wind runs. State titles isn't a down wind race and is a set distance so it can start and finish at one of the best beaches/areas we have. Will still be an awesome event havin the titles in Brisbane moreton bay is a very under rated place to paddle. Very different to open ocean

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
20 Feb 2015 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Good morning all,
IMPORTANT INFORMATION 12 TOWERS EVENT POST PONED
From the advice of Maritime Services Queensland, the Chief of Lifeguard Services Gold Coast and T.C. Marcia, the 2015 12 Towers Ocean Paddle Event is postponed.
All open and closed waterways in South East Queensland have been suspended to all waterways users including Brisbane Ferry Services for at least 72 hours.
The new date is yet to be confirmed but will be posted as soon as a decision is made.
We have held off with the decision in hope that there would have been a window of opportunity to run the event. Unfortunately our hands are tied and in total control of mother nature.
Apologies to all participants who have organised time off work, those who have travelled and or are travelling from interstate and internationally and hope you can all attend the rescheduled event date.
Thank you for your support and understanding.
Cheers
Peasey

Nede
NSW, 38 posts
20 Feb 2015 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Peasey,
It is unfortunate but definitely the right decision. I'm sure the rescheduled event will have even more stoke.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
20 Feb 2015 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Good call Peasey , I know it's been a hard few days for you. Hopefully everyone can make the next event and understands you had to call it. Safety first.

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
20 Feb 2015 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nede said..
Peasey,
It is unfortunate but definitely the right decision. I'm sure the rescheduled event will have even more stoke.

Yeah it does suck......as i look outside the wind has dropped and the rain has stopped!! haha
I will put out a couple of prospective dates and get feedback from you all!
Cheers Nede

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
20 Feb 2015 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Good call Peasey , I know it's been a hard few days for you. Hopefully everyone can make the next event and understands you had to call it. Safety first.

Cheers Piros, I only postponed because it was safety with you're Drone!!
I'm just bummed for every one who made arrangements for this weekend!

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
26 Feb 2015 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

With the week thrown into turmoil of unforeseen obstacles from ex tropical Cyclone Marcia, the 2015 scheduled running of the 12 Towers Ocean Paddle Festival had to be pulled. On the back of professional and stern advice form the authorities of Maritime Services Queensland and Gold Coast City Life Guard Service, safety took precedent with organisers firming that a postponement of the event was imminent.

The 12 T’s committee and some key players in Stand up Paddle QLD have met and discussed new dates for rescheduling the event. Avoiding a clash with other competitions of the same nature, there is only one weekend available between now and July. Organisers agree that holding out longer will tarnish the name and take the shine off the countries “Premier” Paddle Race.

I can confirm the new schedule for the 12 Towers Ocean Paddle Festival will be the Easter Long Weekend of April 3rd - 6th. This will give race organisers a 4 day window of opportunity to hold the main race in the best possible conditions for ocean racing.

The 12 T’s committee sincerely apologise to all competitors and supporters that made the journey to the Gold Coast last week. We trust that you understand the decision made and hoping that you all will return in early April and support the event.

The 12 T’s organisers and committee would like to take this opportunity to thank and show appreciation to our supporters and sponsors.
PATICO Automotive
Hogs Breath Cafe Australia
THULE
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles Australia
Hammer Nutrition
Camel Back Hydration
AuSUP
Surfing QLD
SUPSA
SUPRacer
And of course our loyal competitors and supporters.
Without the above mentioned companies and supporters, our event would still only be an idea. Please check out their websites and support the people who support us.

For all up to date information regarding the event, check our event website www.12towers.com and the event Face Book Page www.facebook.com/events/1518971164991873 . Remember when posting to #12towers !
See you all back on the Gold Coast in April for Australia’s Premier Paddle Race.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
27 Feb 2015 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

good work secret agent. I reckon the 4 day window is going to be awesome for the event.

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
28 Feb 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
good work secret agent. I reckon the 4 day window is going to be awesome for the event.

You get some Unlimited paddlers together Lacey, and we have another division!!

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
28 Feb 2015 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Secret Agent said..

laceys lane said..

You get some Unlimited paddlers together Lacey, and we have another division!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12 Towers Ocean Paddle Festival 2015" started by Secret Agent