Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2014 AuSUP Aust. Flatwater SUPfest, 28-30 March

Created by SASUPCrew > 9 months ago, 24 Jan 2014
SASUPCrew
SA, 106 posts
24 Jan 2014 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

The SUPfest is a National three day flat water racing carnival presented by AuSUP in association with Australian Canoeing as part of the 2014 Australian Canoe Sprint Championships in Adelaide.

SUP Race categories:
200 metres
500 metres
5 kilometres

Age categories:
MALE: OPEN, O/40, O/50, O60
FEMALE: OPEN, O/40, O/50

Race board length: 14 feet

Cost: $100 for the three events

Qualifying: There are no pre-race qualifying times, events are open to paddlers of all skill levels.
Accomodation: Adelaide Shores Caravan Park, West Beach: www.adelaideshores.com.au
Shared accommodation is available from around $30 per person/night.
Adelaide Shores offers first class facilities and is 10 mins from the West Lakes course.

SUP Expo: Stand up paddle suppliers will have the latest boards and equipment on display at the race venue.

Host club: SA SUP Crew are excited to host this inaugural event and interstate competitors and suppliers will be well catered for. Airport pick-up, board storage and daily shuttle to the lake from Adelaide Shores will be available along with a daily bbq at the lake.
A closing party will be held at the Aquatic Centre following the conclusion of events.

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
24 Jan 2014 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting new event to have on the calendar.

How many races do you get? i.e. Is it a knockout style event where you potentially get only one race or is it 2-3 heats each and top qualifiers go through?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
24 Jan 2014 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

I am so there.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
24 Jan 2014 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snowie said..

Interesting new event to have on the calendar.

How many races do you get? i.e. Is it a knockout style event where you potentially get only one race or is it 2-3 heats each and top qualifiers go through?

Hey Snowie

there are heats and semi finals, depending on the number of competitors in your division. The 5 km race is a 1500m distance with buoy turns - similar to the race they have in Germany. The buoy turns are around 3 buoys, so a gentle turn rather than a single buoy 180degree turn.

A lot of talk about this event over in WA, quite a few crew heading over.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
24 Jan 2014 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Teatree must be frothing! Finally an event with sprint distances!
More of these needed

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
24 Jan 2014 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like an AWESOME event! Been looking forward to seeing an event like this get off the ground in Australia - I'm not always the biggest fan of paddling in flat water, but keeping the distances nice and short will make it good fun and very exciting to watch. Will be interesting to see whether the same athletes end up on top of the podium as for all the longer races, or whether some new sprint stars are born.

On a practical note for organising boards I'm guessing the sprint races will probably be separate for the mens & womens? But will the 5km be running together or separate too?

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
24 Jan 2014 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

The sprint races will be separate. I think the 5km race is a wave start for divisions, but will check. Racing will follow the new SUPAA rules for drafting, board dimensions, etc.

Here is a video of the format and what to expect in regard to the course (for 200m and 500m):

This is champion lakes in WA. West lakes looks much prettier in terms of scenary

LizGuilhaus
SA, 40 posts
24 Jan 2014 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Let us know if you need help with accommodation etc. We may be able to find some good deals for you.

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
25 Jan 2014 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Goochi said..
The sprint races will be separate. I think the 5km race is a wave start for divisions, but will check. Racing will follow the new SUPAA rules for drafting, board dimensions, etc.

Cheers Gooch, will look into it... just need to find myself a flatwater board first!

... and thanks Liz for the offer of help finding accommodation too.

CJ83
VIC, 44 posts
25 Jan 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Is there no 12'6 category? Or is it just the one length for these type of events?
Thanks
Clint

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
25 Jan 2014 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..

Teatree must be frothing! Finally an event with sprint distances!
More of these needed

FinallyYeah that would be a great event unfortunately for me I don't think I can make it. This type of racing will bring heaps more to the sportThey dont call the 100m sprint the blue ribbon event in the big O for nothing. Every one wants to know who the fastest s.Whos,s going to be the Usain Bolt of stand up?

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
25 Jan 2014 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a road trip to SA is in order woohoo, might get a dive or 2 in too :)

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
26 Jan 2014 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CJ83 said...
Is there no 12'6 category? Or is it just the one length for these type of events?
Thanks
Clint

One board length for racing. Virgin will accept 14' boards (depending on plane size). $40 as excess baggage. I flew from QLD to Perth with hand luggage and my 14' board flew free as luggage. Virgin are pretty practical.

Get AC insulation foam from bunnings to wrap board solid - it's how Mr Dale Chapman delivers his great custom boards around Australia now.

SASUPCrew
SA, 106 posts
29 Jan 2014 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
OG SUP said..

Looks like a road trip to SA is in order woohoo, might get a dive or 2 in too :)

Come on over Phil, some great dive spots close to Adelaide & the Autumn water is still warm!

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Jan 2014 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

The best part about sprint racing is when the fast guys totally kick your arse, you still get to cross the line before they've packed up their car and left the beach.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
29 Jan 2014 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said..

The best part about sprint racing is when the fast guys totally kick your arse, you still get to cross the line before they've packed up their car and left the beach.

LoL . true you can race the fast guys and say i was only 3 or 4 seconds behind , instead of watching them paddle over the horizonAnd the barbecue packed up and formalities over before you get their , had that happen before.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
29 Jan 2014 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Are there many O/60's planning on heading over?

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
29 Jan 2014 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

just on the groovy poster design alone it looks like an event not to be missed..

I guess they drink beer over there in SA? or is it just wine...

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
29 Jan 2014 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ockanui said..

just on the groovy poster design alone it looks like an event not to be missed..

I guess they drink beer over there in SA? or is it just wine...

They drink coopers over their dont they , nice dropPity they have two average football teams in one State

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
29 Jan 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Nice.

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
30 Jan 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

This is one I wish I could get to, and I reckon set to become entrenched as one of the must-go events of the calendar. Great initiative, I hope people get behind it.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
30 Jan 2014 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ockanui said..

I hope they make a t-shirt.

SASUPCrew
SA, 106 posts
31 Jan 2014 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

The AuSUP Australian Flatwater SUPfest is now officially sanctioned by Surfing Australia. All Surfing Australia SUP clubs/associations are automatically members of AuSUP.

Entry fees for the 2014 SUPfest:

AuSUP members - $100

Non-members - $115

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
31 Jan 2014 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said...
ockanui said..

I hope they make a t-shirt.

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
31 Jan 2014 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

yes the poster would look great on the front of a Tshirt, good idea

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
2 Feb 2014 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Would love to have done this but not enough notice for me, got quite a bit happening, if it is on again next year I'm there.

BTW I'm a bit of a fan of Coopers Ale but nah not their footy teams.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
2 Feb 2014 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SASUPCrew said..

The AuSUP Australian Flatwater SUPfest is now officially sanctioned by Surfing Australia. All Surfing Australia SUP clubs/associations are automatically members of AuSUP.

AuSUP members - $100

Non-members - $115

Is this per division/race or for the whole event?

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
2 Feb 2014 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surf4fun said...
SASUPCrew said..

AuSUP members - $100

Non-members - $115

Is this per division/race or for the whole event?

Whole event.
$100 covers all 3 races - 200,500 and 5km.
If your club or state association is affiliated with Surfing Australia you are an AuSUP member. Everyone else is welcome - $15 is for day membership cover. Entry portal opens this week I think.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
29 Mar 2014 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Is there anywhere we can find times and results for the event? I am hanging to find out the O40 mens times that are being posted.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
29 Mar 2014 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

gregc said..

Is there anywhere we can find times and results for the event? I am hanging to find out the O40 mens times that are being posted.

regattas.paddle.org.au/regattas/1103/results

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
29 Mar 2014 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Dogman just after this 200 meter heat

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2014 AuSUP Aust. Flatwater SUPfest, 28-30 March" started by SASUPCrew